The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by tigger on 11.02.13 16:40

Interesting comment in the Guardian (ref in this topic)

10 February 2013 12:34pm
In late 2011, the McCanns made some amendments to the objectives of the Find Madeleine Fund which enable them to, among other things:
"alone or with other organisations seek to influence public opinion and make representations to and seek to influence governmental and other bodies and institutions".

Gerry McCann wouldn't be paying himself, with money donated by a well-wishing public in the belief that their money will help the McCanns to 'find Madeleine', to further this particular agenda, would he? Money which also affords him the services of a PR spokesman who left his job as head of the Labour govt's Media Monitoring Unit, where it was his job to "control what comes out in the press", in order to represent the McCanns.

As someone said earlier, Gerry McCann (whose phone apparently was never hacked) and Hacked off do indeed make for very strange bedfellows.
unquote

And guess who is director of a PR firm closely related to Gordon Brown? His wife.
Hobsbawm Macaulay Communications
From Wiki:
Perhaps the PR firm with the widest reputation for what it calls 'integrity PR' is Hobsbawm Macaulay Communications the firm started by Julia Hobsbawm and Sarah Macaulay who first met at school but became business partners through working for the Labour Party in the early 1990s. Macaulay, now known as Sarah Brown, is better known as the wife of Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister and former Chancellor of the Exchequer. Hobsbawm has been a long time fundraiser for New Labour, and a tireless defender of the PR industry.
unquote


____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
avatar
tigger

Posts : 8114
Reputation : 44
Join date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Cristobell on 12.02.13 1:34

@Mirage wrote:Shakespeare: a playwright for yesterday and today.

The Tempest

A violent storm breaks over foreign shores. Nightmarish and terrifying scenes are conjured up out of darkness.

The Taming of the Shrew

A bed is smashed by Kate in temper. She appears at the side of her controlling husband the following morning clutching a cuddly toy and making an appeal.

The Comedy of Errors

Twins play a minor role in this re-writing of a much loved play. They sleep throughout noisy and rumbustious scenes as people mill about mistaking each other for somebody else.

As You Like It

A story of a hampered investigation, a confusion of accounts and containing the immortal line: "Yes, if that's what the investigation thinks."

Much Ado About Nothing

A tale of intrigue and the shelving of an investigation into a death. Mysterious characters lurk in the background plotting the sabotage of the investigation being conducted by an old maritime enemy. Dark forces a-plenty in this dangerous and predominantly political play.

A Midsummer NIght's Dream

A powerful story of intoxication and sleeping draughts; of strange dreams and imagined happenings; and an ultimate awakening to reality. Set, unusually, in Lisbon.

A Winter's Tale

A deeply psychological play with comedic undertones. A season for re-assessing where life has led and its remaining options. Ambassadorial roles are taken up and cast aside and a bid made for the heady world of politics.

Measure for Measure

Best described as a morality play, it concerns human accountability, the righting of wrongs and the settling of old scores. Just outcomes are achieved, against all odds, by exacting equal cunning on malefactors. The element of surprise is sprung in the closing act.

All's Well That Ends Well

Despite a complete folio of works that went missing for six years, the Bard was able to re-construct this refreshing tale of faith and hope renewed.

Bravo Mirage!

I

Cristobell

Posts : 2436
Reputation : 4
Join date : 2011-10-12

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann: prime minister must address 'sick culture' in UK press

Post by Guest on 12.02.13 8:58

From The Guardian:
"Hacked Off and father of missing girl Madeleine voice concerns after meeting with David Cameron over press regulation

Gerry McCann, father of missing girl Madeleine, has said the "sick culture" that led to his family being accused of murdering their own daughter to pay off their mortgage still exists in the UK press.

McCann on Monday afternoon laid down the gauntlet to prime minister David Cameron, calling on him to deliver the promise he made during and after the Leveson inquiry to "protect the people who have been thrown to the wolves as we were".

McCann was taking part in a press conference organised by Hacked Off, the group campaigning for stricter press regulation, on the eve of the first publication of No 10's plans for a new regulator backed by royal charter."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/11/gerry-mccann-hacked-off-david-cameron-press-regulations

Some examples of Great British journalism leave me feeling a little queasy myself.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Mirage on 12.02.13 11:23

@Cristobell wrote:
@Mirage wrote:Shakespeare: a playwright for yesterday and today.

The Tempest

A violent storm breaks over foreign shores. Nightmarish and terrifying scenes are conjured up out of darkness.

The Taming of the Shrew

A bed is smashed by Kate in temper. She appears at the side of her controlling husband the following morning clutching a cuddly toy and making an appeal.

The Comedy of Errors

Twins play a minor role in this re-writing of a much loved play. They sleep throughout noisy and rumbustious scenes as people mill about mistaking each other for somebody else.

As You Like It

A story of a hampered investigation, a confusion of accounts and containing the immortal line: "Yes, if that's what the investigation thinks."

Much Ado About Nothing

A tale of intrigue and the shelving of an investigation into a death. Mysterious characters lurk in the background plotting the sabotage of the investigation being conducted by an old maritime enemy. Dark forces a-plenty in this dangerous and predominantly political play.

A Midsummer NIght's Dream

A powerful story of intoxication and sleeping draughts; of strange dreams and imagined happenings; and an ultimate awakening to reality. Set, unusually, in Lisbon.

A Winter's Tale

A deeply psychological play with comedic undertones. A season for re-assessing where life has led and its remaining options. Ambassadorial roles are taken up and cast aside and a bid made for the heady world of politics.

Measure for Measure

Best described as a morality play, it concerns human accountability, the righting of wrongs and the settling of old scores. Just outcomes are achieved, against all odds, by exacting equal cunning on malefactors. The element of surprise is sprung in the closing act.

All's Well That Ends Well

Despite a complete folio of works that went missing for six years, the Bard was able to re-construct this refreshing tale of faith and hope renewed.

Bravo Mirage!

I

Cristobell and Ribisi

Mirage

Posts : 1902
Reputation : 757
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Ollie on 12.02.13 15:28

The McCanns know there is no more money to be made from the newpapers from serialisations and suing. The tabloids do the McCanns bidding, new sightings etc., get printed whenever they want, even if they are rehashing sightings from years ago. The McCanns obviously feel very safe so are able to turn on the press now, they are outliving their usefulness.

Ollie

Posts : 262
Reputation : 6
Join date : 2011-05-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by roy rovers on 12.02.13 15:44

Gerry McCann telling the government what to do. You couldn't make it up. The government should be telling him what to do as in 'go and sit in that cell over there until we tell you that you can come out'.
avatar
roy rovers

Posts : 469
Reputation : 45
Join date : 2012-03-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by nobodythereeither on 12.02.13 16:25

@roy rovers wrote:Gerry McCann telling the government what to do. You couldn't make it up. The government should be telling him what to do as in 'go and sit in that cell over there until we tell you that you can come out'.

xxxxxxx

I'm having a stressful day, thanks for making me laugh

nobodythereeither

Posts : 273
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2010-11-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by jd on 12.02.13 16:30

@nobodythereeither wrote:
@roy rovers wrote:Gerry McCann telling the government what to do. You couldn't make it up. The government should be telling him what to do as in 'go and sit in that cell over there until we tell you that you can come out'.

xxxxxxx

I'm having a stressful day, thanks for making me laugh

Hi nobodythereeither

Just a curious question (please don't take this the wrong way) but why do you type "xxxxxx" on the first line of your posts?

I can't work it out and am just curious thats all....Its no problem just wondering why. I keep thinking you are kissing everyone!!!

____________________
Who pulled the strings?...THE SYMINGTONS..And the Scottish connections...Look no further if you dare
avatar
jd

Posts : 4152
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2011-07-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by aquila on 12.02.13 17:39

This article published 06/05/2007 Guardian/Observer is one of the most sycophantic I've read in a while.

'For parents, the best is not always enough'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/may/06/world.theobserver

Hardly in line with the Guardian readers' comments this past weekend.
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8461
Reputation : 1566
Join date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Mirage on 12.02.13 18:14

@aquila wrote:This article published 06/05/2007 Guardian/Observer is one of the most sycophantic I've read in a while.

'For parents, the best is not always enough'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/may/06/world.theobserver

Hardly in line with the Guardian readers' comments this past weekend.

Exactly, Aquila.

I wondered about starting a new thread featuring all these sycophantic articles. I think I'd best leave that up to admin as I'm fairly new.

Anyway, just to say that another article that really gets my goat is one by ITN presenter Mary Nightingale. It can easily be found on the ITN website under " What are the McCanns really like?"

www.itv.com/news

Mirage

Posts : 1902
Reputation : 757
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by aquila on 12.02.13 18:28

Hi Mirage,

I was wondering the very same thing myself about a thread posting all the very positive articles written by the press. As Hacked Off are fond of statistics (that prove zilch imo) it would be fascinating to show exactly the statistics between positive and negative articles with regards to the McCanns.

Were the article I refer to in my previous post to be re-run right now on the front pages of a newspaper it would also be very interesting to see what type of response it gets from the general public. The type of content in this article is to my mind the backbone of the McCann campaign. I wonder how it would be perceived today?

As Gerry seems to say, it's about moving forward. It most certainly is about moving forward when the McCanns wish to brush over leaving their kids alone. I'd like to know what taking the platform to look backwards at poor treatment from the press (who paid handsomely when sued) is doing to find Madeleine?

Where's the forward looking campaign?
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8461
Reputation : 1566
Join date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Mirage on 12.02.13 18:55

@aquila wrote:Hi Mirage,

I was wondering the very same thing myself about a thread posting all the very positive articles written by the press. As Hacked Off are fond of statistics (that prove zilch imo) it would be fascinating to show exactly the statistics between positive and negative articles with regards to the McCanns.

Were the article I refer to in my previous post to be re-run right now on the front pages of a newspaper it would also be very interesting to see what type of response it gets from the general public. The type of content in this article is to my mind the backbone of the McCann campaign. I wonder how it would be perceived today?

As Gerry seems to say, it's about moving forward. It most certainly is about moving forward when the McCanns wish to brush over leaving their kids alone. I'd like to know what taking the platform to look backwards at poor treatment from the press (who paid handsomely when sued) is doing to find Madeleine?

Where's the forward looking campaign?

Hi Aquila. I totally agree. I think it would make fascinating reading. Would you like to start it?

In due course, those journalists who helped create even more confusion around the investigation process should be publicly held to account. We could start collating them here. Why should these opinion-makers be allowed to get away with a serious injustice to Madeleine by beatifying those feckless parents.

It makes me utterly sick to imagine the lefty liberal elite looking down their long noses at those who asked, and continue to ask, the REAL questions.

Two obvious liars, and neither of these journalists had the guts to do their job properly in an unbiased and ethical fashion. Instead they chose to ally themselves with those they perceive to be of their own class: ergo untouchable.

Appalling!

Mirage

Posts : 1902
Reputation : 757
Join date : 2013-02-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Inspectorfrost on 12.02.13 18:56

Dr Gerry McCann responds to the Royal Charter

Posted February 12th, 2013 by Hacked Off & filed under News.

A comment from Dr Gerry McCann following the release of the Conservative Royal Charter proposal:
Anything less that Leveson’s full recommendations will never satisfy the victims of press abuse. This Royal Charter plan falls far short of Leveson and it is shocking that ministers are admitting that they made a host of concessions to newspaper editors and proprietors. The Conservative Party can’t rewrite Leveson now. They must think again.

http://hackinginquiry.org/news/dr-gerry-mccann-responds-to-the-royal-charter/

What will he do if they don't?

Inspectorfrost

Posts : 841
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Guest on 12.02.13 19:03

He's not going the right way to endear himself to the man who ordered the 3 million pound review, using tax payers money, into the disappearance of his daughter is he. Deary me, there's gratitude.
avatar
Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 12.02.13 19:06

Candyfloss, you are so right! This mans sense of entitlement and self importance knows no bounds. I'm sure his unlikeability is a large contributing factor as to why many people want to see him banged to rights.

____________________
The truth will out.
avatar
Smokeandmirrors
Moderator

Posts : 2428
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-07-31

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by aquila on 12.02.13 19:38

candyfloss wrote:He's not going the right way to endear himself to the man who ordered the 3 million pound review, using tax payers money, into the disappearance of his daughter is he. Deary me, there's gratitude.

Candyfloss, it appears gratitude is something the McCanns save for their irregular updates on their 37k website with the paypal facility, the online shop and the 'buy our book' headline. They love to thank everyone for their support as it means so much. How dare it be suggested they are not grateful.
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8461
Reputation : 1566
Join date : 2011-09-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Inspectorfrost on 12.02.13 19:51

candyfloss wrote:He's not going the right way to endear himself to the man who ordered the 3 million pound review, using tax payers money, into the disappearance of his daughter is he. Deary me, there's gratitude.

Not only that, but that there is no deadline to the review according to the Home Office.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/361929/Has-Gerry-McCann-harmed-search-for-Madeleine

He seems very angry and demanding. It seems a million+ in damages from the press and front page apologies is not enough.

Inspectorfrost

Posts : 841
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by bobbin on 12.02.13 19:52

Does anyone know why Gerry McCann is the only vocal person in the 'hacked off' campaign when he wasn't even hacked himself (as stated by Monsieur Pink Rinse)
Where are all the other voices or have they silently backed off into the dark passageways, cringing with embarrassment and not wanting to be seen with the cantankerous scot.

bobbin

Posts : 2047
Reputation : 137
Join date : 2011-12-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by jd on 12.02.13 20:03

@bobbin wrote:Does anyone know why Gerry McCann is the only vocal person in the 'hacked off' campaign when he wasn't even hacked himself (as stated by Monsieur Pink Rinse)
Where are all the other voices or have they silently backed off into the dark passageways, cringing with embarrassment and not wanting to be seen with the cantankerous scot.

They need the votes for the petition to back them up as public support to try and get Levesons recommendations into law. I guess they calculated that they weren't going to inspire many people with Hugh Grant etc heading the campaign, but figured the mccanns have enough people who unsuspectingly still believe their 'abduction story' and be able to get the numbers they need. Plus gerry mccann owes the government to help them stifle free regulations of the press after all the tremendous unprecedented 'help' the government have given him for 6 years

When they said over the weekend they had 75% from a mere 2,000 people who backed the hacked off campaign and used this as public backing, you can see their tactics

....Monsieur Pink Rinse big grin

____________________
Who pulled the strings?...THE SYMINGTONS..And the Scottish connections...Look no further if you dare
avatar
jd

Posts : 4152
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2011-07-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Inspectorfrost on 12.02.13 20:08


Geoff Bohannon Just signed it - But I do feel the need to ask the question - what has this got to do with finding madeleine
2 hours ago · 1


Someone asked this on the Official Facebook page. I wonder if it will get replied to or deleted.

Good question though.

Inspectorfrost

Posts : 841
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Inspectorfrost on 12.02.13 22:20

The faithful have replied onbehalf of the webmaster



Pamela Gurney TBH I think it is pretty obvious. The press intrusion when Madeleine disappeared was way out of control. The lies told nobodies business.
54 minutes ago · 1

Iris Pattison The very negative coverage which some of the press afforded the Mccanns severely dented and delayed the search potential back then. Once this kind of media coverage is recognised for the harm it does hopefully others in similar positions will fare better in future. As for Madeleine's search now, this will hopefully help the Mccanns get the rightful coverage and recognition they need for the search. The gutter press turned so many people against K and G Mccann at a time when they needed quite the opposite. Only they now know the damage it has caused Madeleine's search and hopefully many things will get put right. Many doors still need to be opened for her search and the ongoing looking, hoping and may bring them the joy of finding her safe and well. In some instances the Press has highlighted Madeleine's plight thus helping the search but to fuel suspicions of their involvement of her dis-appearance must never happen again. God give them strength and safety to Madeleine, wherever she is. I have not worded this comment very well so i hope it is understood ok.
36 minutes ago · 1

Iris Pattison @Pamela, yes i agree Pam, this happened at a time when they needed every ounce of strength they could muster for finding Madeleine and to be accused and knocked down then was extremely harmful. They were trying to do what any loving, anxious, sorry, desperate and frightened parents would hopefully do and utelise evry contact they had to try and find their daughter. Hacked off is the right expression for it!!.
31 minutes ago

Pamela Gurney Iris you have worded it brilliantly well and said really what I should have said. The press was a double edged sword over Madeleine's disappearance and have done their worst in vilifying K & G to a small but nonetheless vociferous element of our society. Truly very sad!
31 minutes ago

Pamela Gurney The press therefore needs regulating as they would have done this to others time and again if not for HackedOff. Please sign and show your support of a regulated press. That it should have had to come to this is so wrong and so sad!

Inspectorfrost

Posts : 841
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2012-12-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Bob Southgate on 13.02.13 0:35

I just signed the Hacked Off petition using the name of Seymour Butts and a fake e-mail. It was accepted with no verification whatsoever, which is laughable. At least with the You Gov petitions you have to provide a valid name,address and e-mail address which you then have to validate.

____________________

avatar
Bob Southgate

Posts : 161
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-11-01
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by jd on 13.02.13 0:39

@Bob Southgate wrote:I just signed the Hacked Off petition using the name of Seymour Butts and a fake e-mail. It was accepted with no verification whatsoever, which is laughable. At least with the You Gov petitions you have to provide a valid name,address and e-mail address which you then have to validate.

This says it all!!!!

____________________
Who pulled the strings?...THE SYMINGTONS..And the Scottish connections...Look no further if you dare
avatar
jd

Posts : 4152
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2011-07-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by tigger on 13.02.13 6:51

@jd wrote:
@Bob Southgate wrote:I just signed the Hacked Off petition using the name of Seymour Butts and a fake e-mail. It was accepted with no verification whatsoever, which is laughable. At least with the You Gov petitions you have to provide a valid name,address and e-mail address which you then have to validate.

This says it all!!!!

I hope more people will do this, it will completely invalidate the whole demand 'petition'.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
avatar
tigger

Posts : 8114
Reputation : 44
Join date : 2011-07-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Bob Southgate on 13.02.13 9:54

@tigger wrote:
@jd wrote:
@Bob Southgate wrote:I just signed the Hacked Off petition using the name of Seymour Butts and a fake e-mail. It was accepted with no verification whatsoever, which is laughable. At least with the You Gov petitions you have to provide a valid name,address and e-mail address which you then have to validate.

This says it all!!!!

I hope more people will do this, it will completely invalidate the whole demand 'petition'.

It is laughably easy to do, and I wonder how many have done it? I have three signatures on there with three fake names and e-mail addresses already.

____________________

avatar
Bob Southgate

Posts : 161
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2012-11-01
Age : 55

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum