The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Mm11

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Mm11

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Regist10

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Empty Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by bristow 09.02.13 23:23

Admin says:

Please sign Tony's petition on the Prime Minister's website which OPPOSES state regulation of the press. Here is the link: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/42582

Tony started his petition in opposition to one calling for full implementation of Leveson. That one has 5,600 signatures. Tony's has 1,313 so far and he aims to overtake the other one. The petition will run until December.

You need to give your name, address and e-mail when signing any petition on the PM's website, but none of these are published, as you can see when visiting the PM e-petitions website.

Please add your name and tell others about this petition.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quelle Surprise this has appeared in The Guardian.

"Gerry McCann is to reveal on Monday that he and his wife, Kate, fear they have "relived our darkest days" needlessly in the vain hope that new legislation would be introduced to control the press.

"Leveson without the law is meaningless," the father of missing Madeleine McCann will tell a Westminster audience at a conference for politicians and the victims of media intrusion."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/feb/09/gerry-mccann-leveson-inquiry-press-control-laws
bristow
bristow

Activity : 1007

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Empty Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by Inspectorfrost 09.02.13 23:42

I would agree with him that the press should not print false stories of sightings and his machiavellian spokesperson keep his dirty fingers out, works both ways

Inspectorfrost

Activity : 878

Back to top Go down

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Empty Re: Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree

Post by ShuBob 10.02.13 0:24

Excellent timing Mr McCann Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree 234628
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Post by celtclogs 10.02.13 8:18

Inspectorfrost wrote:I would agree with him that the press should not print false stories of sightings and his machiavellian spokesperson keep his dirty fingers out, works both ways

Well saidGerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree 259100
celtclogs
celtclogs

Activity : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 10.02.13 8:24

Yes, but look at the comments so far !

The McCanns are well qualified to pontificate on the subject of control of information and opinion. How many people here are aware that they have managed to prevent the British from reading a book, written by someone who knew more about the original investigation than any of us, and which is freely available to the rest of the world

Gerry should keep this personnel. Making speeches and trying to save us all from the media is not his business. He used fire and was burnt - why I'm even motivated to write such nasty observations annoys me but I still find it distasteful to see newspapers publishing these type of stories to stoke up public feeling against these 2 parents. Grieve and recover. Revealing this helps nobody.

In his evidence to the Leveson Inquiry, Gerry McCann stated that, in early 2011, just before the revelations that led to the closure of the News of the World, the McCanns were in negotiations with Rebekah Wade and Will Lewis at News International to sell serialisation rights to Mrs McCann's book to the Sun and the Times.
Not only would NI pay them £550k but Wade would use her personal contacts with Cameron to pressure Teresa May to 'review' the case.
Hacked Off and the McCanns make for strange bedfellows.

If this pair of appalling self-publicists want a state-controlled media, let them go and live in Havana.

2007 and you really should look at the source of those stories.
The Guardian prides itself on looking at the facts but at no time has the paper ever indicated it had even looked at the available police files.
It's not enough to blame the tabloids for inaccurate reporting while looking in the opposite direction and blithely recycling press releases from the McCanns' expensive PR and legal machine.

What I think that Mr McCann may be trying to say is that the press should only print his opinions. That he is allowed to harness the power of the publicity without criticism.
What I am trying to say is that there are enough laws covering press freedom to sufficiently police the media in general. I, myself, would like to hear both sides of a story, not the frightened editorial of a press that has lost its ability to question the events and opinions of the day.
Being challenged is part of understanding that there is more than one point of view on any story. Should the press trespass into illegality then of course they should be held to account. On the other hand I do not believe that even the Mail tortures its informants like the Americans! In this I suppose that I follow Mr Hislop.

Observer online editor naively leaves article on McCanns open for online comments overnight without moderation. Tch.
I have huge respect for the Guardian. It's my newspaper of choice. The majority of your investigative journalism is first class. But you've got a blind spot on the McCanns and it seems to be fed by your anti tabloid agenda.
It's true that the tabloids printed acres of rubbish about the McCanns in summer 2007. But they also printed acres of rubbish about Robert Murat in autumn 2

If I had gotten away with accidentally killing one of my children by giving them too many sedatives, I'd want more press control as well.

@c23e - "As for the McCanns - once again the media jump on the easy targets and readers with little knowledge believe them.Because we disagree with their poor judgement about the safety of leaving children home alone does not make them guilty. " - Clearly you haven't read the investigation case files, but who can blame you if your perspective of this case is just a one sided view, i.e. what you were fed by the McCann's PR and propaganda in the UK media. Didn't you say you were a journalist, why don't you seek "out the truth by reasoned and in-depth questioning, and persistent follow-up questioning"? The PJ case files are widely available in the internet, translated by volunteers, despite some previous attempts of censorship. Inform yourself of the facts, forget Clarence Mitchell spins.
Finally are you really saying that the McCanns are not guilty for leaving Madeleine, 3 y.o., and her twin siblings, 18 months, alone, unsupervised, completely out of sight & sound, over 120 yards away, 5 nights in a roll?! Despite the fact, that her three years old daughter had asked her "Where were you last night, when me and Sean cried?" - from Kate McCann's police statement. You sure have a skewed notion of parental responsibility.

"Gerry McCann calls for press control laws", banning "The Truth of The Lie" book, a documentary, and attempting, with the help of Carter Ruck, to silence all dissent voices is not enough, is it? Let's also stifle Free Speech and a Free Press. That has always been the McCanns agenda, reputation management and nothing else!
And these are Guardinistas !
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16587

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors 10.02.13 9:05

I find Mr McCanns sense of entitlement and self importance extremely distasteful, more so as his situation was largely self inflicted.

Activity : 2685

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10.02.13 9:09

The Guardian censor must be having a Sunday morning lie-in!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 10.02.13 9:14

quite a few comments have been deleted,wonder if they were the ones praising the mccanns
tiny
tiny

Activity : 2311

Back to top Go down

Post by cass7 10.02.13 9:17

the fact that the press are running this makes me happy -- now the wider public will be thinking wt+ -- they wouldnt be where they are today if it wasnt for the press -- give em enough rope and all that -- dont bite the hand that feeds you -- because omg they just might bite back -- by printing fact -- pj files might be a good start -- with the picture of madeleines 4th birthday might be a good start
cass7
cass7

Activity : 143

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 10.02.13 9:32

I'm trying to be really grateful to the McCanns for agreeing to attend the Leveson Inquiry (even though their phones weren't hacked according to Clarence) and to relive their nightmare in order to help others. There must be a lot of nightmares for the McCanns. To have a nightmare one has to be asleep. Kate even managed a good sleep days after Madeleine went missing.

How bizarre that the McCanns are able to stand on a public platform yet again and feel they have the right to influence press gagging reform in my country. The McCanns left their children alone in a foreign country and Kate is made ambassador for missing people. What next? Gerry McCann enters politics?

Oh dear, I'm feeling the urge to emigrate again.

Sir Winston Churchill: “Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.”
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10.02.13 9:37

Seeing the number of undesirables who gravitate towards politics, ranging from those who fiddle their expenses to those who are paedophiles, it does seem to be an obvious choice for Gerry.

All in my humble opinion of course!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10.02.13 9:45

aquila wrote:What next? Gerry McCann enters politics?

Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree Gerry_10
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin 10.02.13 9:48

Jean wrote:Seeing the number of undesirables who gravitate towards politics, ranging from those who fiddle their expenses to those who are paedophiles, it does seem to be an obvious choice for Gerry.

All in my humble opinion of course!

succinct, Jean, brilliantly worded. Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree 742129 Having just read through the Guardian comments, a bag of worms has just exposed the contents of pandora's box. Gerry McCann calls for press control laws - 75% of the public agree 110921 Long may the Leicester celebs continue to take every opportunity to keep on scoring home goals.
bobbin

Activity : 2240

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 10.02.13 10:10

Excellent comments from everyone on this thread.
Presumably even if controls are brought in anything heard in an open court will be still be allowed to be reported.
You couldn't make it up.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 10.02.13 10:34

'Calls for' not 'supports' or 'asks for'.

A person in authority 'Calls for' . A person who's jumped on the bandwagon directing the driver (Hugh Grant is almost out of the picture) should support or ask. Both the last concepts are alien to Gerald McCann.

I don't think he'll be in his element as an MP - reverse the initials and we find the true grandiose ambitions at the core of this opening salvo.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by MaryB 10.02.13 11:48

Doing away with free press will only encourage even more corruption, lies and supression of the truth. I think we are entitled to know we are eating horsemeat whether it's good for us or not.
MaryB
MaryB

Activity : 246

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage 10.02.13 12:02

Just a few great reformers and events that shaped our freedoms:

Magna Carta.

The Peasants' Revolt

Thomas Becket

William Tyndale

William Caxton

Sir Thomas More

The English Civil War

The Reform Act of 1832

The Chartist Movement

Elizabeth Fry

William Wilberforce

George Eliot

Emily Pankhurst

World War I

World War II

..... and Gerald McCann???

Read this list and weep. Many of those who gave us our freedom paid with their lives.
Mirage

Activity : 2711

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 10.02.13 12:08

Mirage wrote:
Read this list and weep. Many of those who gave us our freedom paid with their lives.
Madeleine paid with her life, and he wants to curtail freedom. Bitter irony indeed.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16587

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage 10.02.13 12:11

PeterMac wrote:
Mirage wrote:
Madeleine paid with her life, and he wants to curtail freedom. Bitter irony indeed.

I was constrained not to add that Peter Mac. The observation was not lost, I can assure you.
Mirage

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 10.02.13 13:01

Gerry McCann is not an admirer of Voltaire I would guess (assuming that he would even know of Voltaire)

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

Censorship will do away with discussion and the opportunity to see both sides of an argument.

Back to top Go down

Post by marxman 10.02.13 13:32

tigger wrote:Gerry McCann is not an admirer of Voltaire I would guess (assuming that he would even know of Voltaire)

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
Voltaire

Censorship will do away with discussion and the opportunity to see both sides of an argument.

yes indeed, Gerry I think has misguided notions of

granduer, and has enjoyed playing the tin pot despotic dictator

when attempting to crush descent, stiffle free thought

and speech, and sue the life out of opposing ideas and

the creators of ideas. It has went to his head and he now

feels a vocation towards a totalitarian politic. He is IMO,

riding on the back of a tiger which he cannot get off!
marxman

Activity : 91

Back to top Go down

Post by kitchen 10.02.13 13:51

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/376695/Law-should-back-press-regulation

Also taking comments at the moment..
kitchen
kitchen

Activity : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 10.02.13 14:03

kitchen wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/376695/Law-should-back-press-regulation

Also taking comments at the moment..

V. interesting ones too.
Kate looks very rough, worse than I've ever seen her. She is aging twice as fast as her husband.
Now wouldn't Gerry look good as BigBrother? Kitchener style poster: What would he be saying?

Back to top Go down

Post by Inspectorfrost 10.02.13 14:25

The Express comment section has the Mccanns name censored! It all looks so silly with all those asterisks.

lol!

Inspectorfrost

Activity : 878

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage 10.02.13 14:29

Shakespeare: a playwright for yesterday and today.

The Tempest

A violent storm breaks over foreign shores. Nightmarish and terrifying scenes are conjured up out of darkness.

The Taming of the Shrew

A bed is smashed by Kate in temper. She appears at the side of her controlling husband the following morning clutching a cuddly toy and making an appeal.

The Comedy of Errors

Twins play a minor role in this re-writing of a much loved play. They sleep throughout noisy and rumbustious scenes as people mill about mistaking each other for somebody else.

As You Like It

A story of a hampered investigation, a confusion of accounts and containing the immortal line: "Yes, if that's what the investigation thinks."

Much Ado About Nothing

A tale of intrigue and the shelving of an investigation into a death. Mysterious characters lurk in the background plotting the sabotage of the investigation being conducted by an old maritime enemy. Dark forces a-plenty in this dangerous and predominantly political play.

A Midsummer NIght's Dream

A powerful story of intoxication and sleeping draughts; of strange dreams and imagined happenings; and an ultimate awakening to reality. Set, unusually, in Lisbon.

A Winter's Tale

A deeply psychological play with comedic undertones. A season for re-assessing where life has led and its remaining options. Ambassadorial roles are taken up and cast aside and a bid made for the heady world of politics.

Measure for Measure

Best described as a morality play, it concerns human accountability, the righting of wrongs and the settling of old scores. Just outcomes are achieved, against all odds, by exacting equal cunning on malefactors. The element of surprise is sprung in the closing act.

All's Well That Ends Well

Despite a complete folio of works that went missing for six years, the Bard was able to re-construct this refreshing tale of faith and hope renewed.
Mirage

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top