The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Royal Prank Call Nurse 'Commits Suicide'

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Royal Prank Call Nurse 'Commits Suicide'

Post by Guest on 11.12.12 15:04

Kate hoax: Radio station to donate to nurse family

The Australian radio station whose DJs made a hoax call to a nurse who was later found dead is to give at least £320,000 to a fund for her family.

Sydney broadcaster 2Day FM said it would donate the money from its advertising profits

More here..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20673899

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.12.12 15:21

11 December 2012 Last updated at 11:00

The end of prank calls?

By Brian Wheeler & Tom de Castella BBC News Magazine

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20664854

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 11.12.12 17:14

It's a tough one candyfloss. I am biased as I can't abide pranks and practical jokes. I don't like humour that is designed to humiliate an individual. There are lots of people I know who find this humour hilarious and people who can laugh off the stunt when it's directed at them. I think it's cruel and bullying. Our countries are becoming increasingly pc. I'm never sure if I can tell a joke about an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman anymore, even though I'm related to people of all countries in UK and as a family we laugh at the banter.

There is imo, no need for prank calls. They can be deeply offensive and humiliating - all in the name of broadcasting/boosting ratings. Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand fell foul of that one.

I am one that hopes prank calls have passed their sell by date within the world of broadcasting.

Just my opinion.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nelly6969 on 11.12.12 17:48

@Portia wrote:These two television personalities sobbing their hearts out;

She the blonde innocuous;
He the staunch guy, biting back his tears, (but eyes flying in all directions, barely able to bite back a grimass)

Do they remind you of some others we might -or might not- mention?

Is there a protocol for damagecontrol for eejits in tight spots?

One would allmost think so.

One image pressing itself to the foreground: Australia, Crocodile County, Crocs all around

Crododile's tears even more so.

What a sham! Is there no sense of shame left in the world?

How could they do this to that lovely lady, whose poignant face is impossible to set aside?!

Dear Duchess: call the baby: Jacintha!

One juvenile prank.

Massive press coverage.

Gross over-reaction to a simple and understandable mistake.

Here Here Tony - They had no clue to the outcome and i am sure they are truly devasteated, they meant no harm!

Nelly6969

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 11.12.12 18:09

I watched the two DJ's interviews a couple of times. The word 'team' came out and they apparently didn't know who made the decision to broadcast. Where was the 'team'? Where were the people who made the decision to broadcast? Where was the CEO of the radio channel when he offered up two lowly members of staff to the slaughter of the Press? (the DJ's who were being counselled and apparently one of them reported as on suicide watch). What a gutless company. As for PR I'm really glad Telstra and Coles have pulled their advertising. It was obvious that the DJ's had been briefed on what to say imo. Where were their spineless employers?
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 11.12.12 18:49

@Nelly6969 wrote:They had no clue to the outcome and I am sure they are truly devastated, they meant no harm!
I was not going to comment, but I feel much the same.
It is a terrible misfortune that the person on the switchboard was of Indian extraction, only in Britain for 6 years, and probably unable to distinguish between accents.
If it had been a native born English speaker they might have been rumbled and told to "go away", and their programme would have been complete.
They could have revelled in looking silly, turning the joke back on themselves by teasing each other about their appalling accents, which is in fact part of what seems to have happened before the full horror of the situation was known.

PeterMac
Investigator

View user profile http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 11.12.12 18:58

@PeterMac wrote:
@Nelly6969 wrote:They had no clue to the outcome and I am sure they are truly devastated, they meant no harm!
I was not going to comment, but I feel much the same.
It is a terrible misfortune that the person on the switchboard was of Indian extraction, only in Britain for 6 years, and probably unable to distinguish between accents.
If it had been a native born English speaker they might have been rumbled and told to "go away", and their programme would have been complete.
They could have revelled in looking silly, turning the joke back on themselves by teasing each other about their appalling accents, which is in fact part of what seems to have happened before the full horror of the situation was known.

Is it OK then to call a hospital and take up the time of hospital staff who are nursing sick people just for a bit of a laugh? Is it OK to waste switchboard time in a hospital just for a bit of a giggle? I'm not saying that this isn't a prank gone wrong but why would it be deemed ok by a radio station in the first place? What if every prankster rang up the hospital just to see if they could get through. It's not cricket.

I'm editing to add that there is a time difference between Australia and UK as everyone knows. So was it ok to call a hospital in the wee small hours so that someone could slam the phone down?
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsC on 11.12.12 21:38

In my very humble opinion the blame is entirely with the security surrounding the royals. The childish phone call should never have made it past the first switchboard.

We, the tax paying public, pay millions to keep these people safe from this kind of prank.

RIP Jacintha.
MrsC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.12.12 13:15

http://news.sky.com/story/1024312/royal-prank-call-nurse-was-found-hanged

I find it hard to believe that this incident was the sole cause for this poor woman's suicide.

Let's hope that the full circumstances come to light at the inquest.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 12.12.12 14:28

Jean wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1024312/royal-prank-call-nurse-was-found-hanged

I find it hard to believe that this incident was the sole cause for this poor woman's suicide.

I'm just wondering if she did get blamed by the nurse who actually gave out information. It's quite possible this happened. Depends who's in charge. In 'office politics' it would be quite common.
If that was the case, I can quite see how that could become the final straw.

View user profile http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by krissie on 12.12.12 14:39

They totally lacked respect for the patient, who in the very early stage of pregnancy was very unwell and
everything could have gone terribly wrong. In my opinion they are such idiots and so are their bosses.
They need to put their brains in gear .

krissie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 12.12.12 15:06

@tigger wrote:
Jean wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1024312/royal-prank-call-nurse-was-found-hanged

I'm just wondering if she did get blamed by the nurse who actually gave out information. It's quite possible this happened. Depends who's in charge. In 'office politics' it would be quite common.
If that was the case, I can quite see how that could become the final straw.

In all the years I worked for numerous companies going back 40 odd years, it wasn't uncommon to be thrown in at the deep end if someone hadn't turned up for work, i.e. you were asked to answer the switchboard, take minutes of a meeting, greeting a "very high profile" visitor, it was very hard to say "no" at the time, even if it wasn't part of your job description. No doubt Jacintha found herself in the same position and she was only trying to be helpful to the hospital, and look were it ended up.

I made a terrible error one day when I was answering a dolls eye switchboard when the girl who's job it was didn't show up (going back to the 1960s/early 70s now) when you plugged in wire connections to take a call depending on which line was ringing, I answered the call, put in the plug thing and spoke to the person who the call was for, except I forgot to put the switch forward/or back whatever it was and left the line open. The person who the call was for didn't want to speak to the "she's a bl**dy nuisance, get rid of her", who'd called in but of course she'd heard the conversation and was very upset. She said she'd heard every word and won't be phoning back again. I could have lost my job over it, although I wasn't the switchboard operator, but she didn't take it any further, thank goodness.

I am very surprised though that Katherine didn't have a bodyguard as most Royals do who could have intercepted the call when it was put through to Katherine's room, but perhaps being 5.30 a.m. he/she could have been on a tea break or having a sleep in a chair somewhere.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 12.12.12 15:22

To the poster who recently quoted part of a post from me when this very sad story first broke, to then put words into quotation marks does look to anyone reading as if it is another quote, hence my objection to your " a bit of fun".. no need for any quotation marks if you are simply wishing to reflect that this is not your opinion.

A very interesting discussion on Sky late last week, including an American writer who lives in the UK, Bonnie Greer, often talks a lot of sense. She was calling for people to take a step back and think, there were all sorts of issues being raised by this sad case which were making for a very volatile situation.

One thing which I was reflecting on was a report I had heard when the hospital first admitted the DoC... the royal couple were not intending to announce the pregnancy for a while yet, but because of the hospital admission someone felt it necessary to make it public knowledge...as if it was certain that word would get out.

I also heard a report that the couple had spent the weekend at the home of the Middletons in Buckinghamshire, that William telephoned the palace with the news of both the pregnancy and the severe sickness before driving his wife to London.
Given that the pregnancy was not intended to be announced, why were the media given the information and by whom? It is not plausible that the media are camped out opposite the hospital entrance just in case a high profile person enters the door.
There is a press office at Buckingham Palace and a senior executive at the hospital in recent days spoke of a press office there....so if it was important to the couple for the pregnancy to be kept private, who alerted the media and why, knowing the likely huge interest it would cause?

I would not be surprised to find out that the couple did not use the main entrance, were not spotted, but asked for discretion and were guided through a way to enter out of the public eye. The information was announced the same way the recent hospital admissions of the Duke of Edinburgh were announced.
I would not be surprised to learn that despite possible requests for no announcement to be made by the couple, people at the palace realising this was about the 3rd in line to the throne deemed it of huge public interest and so an announcement was made.
There must have been occcasions in the past when discretion was asked for and things were organised so as to keep things private, for whatever reasons. I do not understand why this did not happen in this instance, better for all concerned.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 12.12.12 16:23

@russiandoll wrote:To the poster who recently quoted part of a post from me when this very sad story first broke, to then put words into quotation marks does look to anyone reading as if it is another quote, hence my objection to your " a bit of fun".. no need for any quotation marks if you are simply wishing to reflect that this is not your opinion.

A very interesting discussion on Sky late last week, including an American writer who lives in the UK, Bonnie Greer, often talks a lot of sense. She was calling for people to take a step back and think, there were all sorts of issues being raised by this sad case which were making for a very volatile situation.

One thing which I was reflecting on was a report I had heard when the hospital first admitted the DoC... the royal couple were not intending to announce the pregnancy for a while yet, but because of the hospital admission someone felt it necessary to make it public knowledge...as if it was certain that word would get out.

I also heard a report that the couple had spent the weekend at the home of the Middletons in Buckinghamshire, that William telephoned the palace with the news of both the pregnancy and the severe sickness before driving his wife to London.
Given that the pregnancy was not intended to be announced, why were the media given the information and by whom? It is not plausible that the media are camped out opposite the hospital entrance just in case a high profile person enters the door.
There is a press office at Buckingham Palace and a senior executive at the hospital in recent days spoke of a press office there....so if it was important to the couple for the pregnancy to be kept private, who alerted the media and why, knowing the likely huge interest it would cause?

I would not be surprised to find out that the couple did not use the main entrance, were not spotted, but asked for discretion and were guided through a way to enter out of the public eye. The information was announced the same way the recent hospital admissions of the Duke of Edinburgh were announced.
I would not be surprised to learn that despite possible requests for no announcement to be made by the couple, people at the palace realising this was about the 3rd in line to the throne deemed it of huge public interest and so an announcement was made.
There must have been occcasions in the past when discretion was asked for and things were organised so as to keep things private, for whatever reasons. I do not understand why this did not happen in this instance, better for all concerned.

That's a really good point Russiandoll. It's also a bit weird to announce a high profile pregnancy in such early stages. 1 in 5 pregnancies result in miscarriage in the first few weeks (I've had one myself). There was no need to announce it at all until things were stable. If the pregnancy had ended it would have been splashed all over the world, adding to the grief of the royal couple, the royal fans, the general public spirit and all before Christmas. So as you rightly point out who alerted the media and why?

I can also imagine the silent groans from the nursing staff when a senior Royal is in their care. The media frenzy could have been avoided in the first place had an announcement not been made.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl on 12.12.12 20:10

@aquila wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:To the poster who recently quoted part of a post from me when this very sad story first broke, to then put words into quotation marks does look to anyone reading as if it is another quote, hence my objection to your " a bit of fun".. no need for any quotation marks if you are simply wishing to reflect that this is not your opinion.

That's a really good point Russiandoll. It's also a bit weird to announce a high profile pregnancy in such early stages. 1 in 5 pregnancies result in miscarriage in the first few weeks (I've had one myself). There was no need to announce it at all until things were stable. If the pregnancy had ended it would have been splashed all over the world, adding to the grief of the royal couple, the royal fans, the general public spirit and all before Christmas. So as you rightly point out who alerted the media and why?

I can also imagine the silent groans from the nursing staff when a senior Royal is in their care. The media frenzy could have been avoided in the first place had an announcement not been made.
Aren't we possibly being a bit naive to assume that the most newsworthy Royal couple could have a night's stay in hospital without being found out by at least some of the dozens of Royal correspondents whose job is to keep tabs on them day and night, and who are most likely to have informers at the Palace? I believe the decision to release the news of her pregnancy much earlier than expected was taken pragmatically so to avoid media speculations. Rumours abour her illness or even pregnancy could have been much more difficult to manage.

Ribisl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 13.12.12 23:22

Hoax call victim left note criticising hospital staff.

http://news.sky.com/

It was rather obvious that the answer to her suicide either with the hospital itself, or her immediate family

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 13.12.12 23:29

@sallypelt wrote:Hoax call victim left note criticising hospital staff.

http://news.sky.com/

It was rather obvious that the answer to her suicide either with the hospital itself, or her immediate family

Here's the story:

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle on 14.12.12 12:23

Royal hoax case: Nurse Jacintha Saldanha driven to suicide by hospital colleagues, note hints

"in another she criticises senior colleagues at the King Edward VII hospital over her treatment after the pair had pretended to be the Queen and Prince Charles asking about the duchess's condition.

It is believed the nurse's suicide note has left her grieving family furious, with husband Ben Barboza understood to want an inquiry into the hospital.

A source close to Saldanha's family was quoted by the paper as saying: "One of the letters, which is the longest, deals with the hospital and is critical in its tone. Needless to say, Ben wants a full inquiry into what happened, and he wants to make sure the truth comes out. Within the letter Jacintha calls into question some of the treatment she received at the hospital."

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/royal-hoax-case-nurse-jacintha-saldanha-driven-to-suicide-by-hospital-colleagues-note-hints/1045348/0
Estelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 14.12.12 12:31

Yes, the pranksters were stupid, even reckless, and guilty of an appalling error of judgment by doing this prank in respect of a mother (whoever she is) in the early stages of a pregnancy, but if the hospital compounded that by mishandling it so far as jacintha is concerned, then I'm totally with the family in calling for an inquiry into the hospital's handling of the case. In her final words to this world before she left it, the nurse, so it seems, hit out at the HOSPITAL, not at the pranksters.

On the face of it, we have a dedicated nurse, perhaps somewhat isolated in this country, who had done a first-class job at the hospital and made an entirely innocent mistake, one that she might not have made if the hospital had had proper procedures in place.

I hope most of all that the family get to the truth of how the hospital handled the nurse's error

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle on 14.12.12 12:44

This is the best researched article I have read on the subject of hospital security which has been sent to Lord Glenarthur since.

"British arrows are trained on scapegoat Australian radio presenters Mel Greig and Michael Christian for the death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha, but Tess Lawrence says the real culprits are much closer to home.

By contributing editor-at-large Tess Lawrence

AN OPEN LETTER TO LORD GLENARTHUR AND ROYAL SECURITY PERSONNEL

Who ‘killed’ nurse Jacintha Saldanha?

"Was it an apparent ‘assisted suicide’, in the sense that she was tipped over the edge because she couldn’t cope with the ridicule, ignominy and aftermath of being duped into thinking it was really the Queen who called the King Edward VII Hospital at 5.30am on Tuesday morning to enquire after the health of the Duchess of Cambridge?"

http://www.independentaustralia.net/2012/life/health/who-killed-jacintha-saldanha/
Estelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 14.12.12 18:06

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/13/jacintha-saldanha-suicide-notes

Family were only given `typed` copies of Jacinath`s suicide note - why couldn`t they see a photocopy of the original? Was it re-written to hide something?

The coroner has adjourned the inquest until Jacinatha`s birthday next year - nice one.

Note that Keith Vaz has been allocated as spokesperson for the family - could it be there`s some `managing` going on here?
Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle on 15.12.12 0:53

@Woofer wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/dec/13/jacintha-saldanha-suicide-notes

Family were only given `typed` copies of Jacinath`s suicide note - why couldn`t they see a photocopy of the original? Was it re-written to hide something?

The coroner has adjourned the inquest until Jacinatha`s birthday next year - nice one.

Note that Keith Vaz has been allocated as spokesperson for the family - could it be there`s some `managing` going on here?

Woofer, I feel that givng the husband a typewritten copy of the suicide notes has not only given them the opportunity to omit some things, but also the inability for the husband to get an independent forensic expert to examine whether these notes were forged as it took them some days before these came to light. Why wasn't he given a photocopy of the notes? Therefore, I am very susupicious of this.

I looked up this site which talks about suicide notes and what they mean. Here is an extract:

COMMON ELEMENTS OF SUICIDE INVESTIGATION
SUICIDE NOTES

Suicide notes are left (or at least, found) in less that 25% of all suicides.

Genuineness of the suicide note may be judged according to the following criteria, which are based on research in which some lay people were asked to write what they thought would look like genuine suicide notes. The bogus notes were compared with some genuine notes.

The note is more likely to be genuine if:

1. the note expresses anger at loved ones, and/or a desire for or motive of revenge against someone.
    the note contains specific post-mortem instructions to loved ones or the authorities, as to disposition of the body and personal property.
    the note expresses decisiveness
    there is little talk in the note about suicide itself. Fake notes tend to philosophize about suicide in general, whereas genuine notes are more personal
    the note contains expressions of hostility, self-blame and/or self-hatred.

Handwriting....

The handwriting on a suicide note should be evaluated to see if it is the handwriting of the victim. Of course, this has to be done by an expert if an absolute determination is required. However, even a layman can make an educated guess as to whether the handwriting matches that of the victim. This could not be used for evidence, but it is adequate for guidance in an investigation.

http://dmmoyle.com/siinvest.htm

Forgeries

According to forensic linguistics, forged suicide notes often contain negative social projections about people who die by suicide. A forged note might contain words like "cowardly", which rarely occur in genuine suicide notes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_note
Estelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Estelle on 15.12.12 1:54

http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=158170

If you read this link, you will find it very interesting to read that

most of the people commenting are suspicious that Jacintha was murdered

that the wardrobe door would not be strong enough to hold her 50kg body,

that she could have been forced to write the emails and 3 suicide notes

that she could have been handcuffed which would explain injuries to wrists

if she was planning this in emails to whom were they sent and what was thier reply

that it is unusual to write three suicide notes

it is unusual to give loved ones typed versions of the suicide notes rather than photocopies

Vaz is still blaming the DJs

and that the Indian Government should step in and do another post mortem examination and forensic analysis of her handwriting on the suicide notes to check authenticity.
Estelle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 15.12.12 15:51

I did read in a very early news report that Keith Vaz was asked by Jacintha's family for his help as he has done a lot of work with the particular Indian sect that Jacintha's family belongs to and he is trusted by that particular sect. I can't remember what it's called at the moment.

With regard to the photocopying of Jacintha's suicide notes, it does seem very suspicious that they were typed out by the Police but the only explanation I can think of is that if they were photocopied by the Police and there were numerous fingerprints on the photocopier glass from Police staff etc and also traces of printing ink that it may compromise any forensic investigations into the origin of the suicide notes.

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"

Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by littlepixie on 15.12.12 20:43

O/T But I always wonder how people can hang themselves off a wardrobe door or a door knob like Michael Hutchence. I would have thought your feet/weight would have to be off the floor.
I know my friend tried to hang himself from the landing bannisters and the loft hatch and the wire snapped numerous times before he succeeded.
littlepixie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum