The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 Mm11

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 Mm11

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 Regist10

ALERT! Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 Empty Re: ALERT! Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report

Post by Miraflores 29.11.12 16:01

pennylane wrote:Her claim to fame is going on holiday with three toddlers. Leaving them alone, in danger, and crying night after night, and returning home with just two (very lucky) surviving toddlers. All Hale Kate McCann!

What a poor claim to fame though! Most of us would prefer to be famous because of something positive we had done - not be famous because our child disappeared while we were out drinking.
Miraflores
Miraflores

Activity : 856

Back to top Go down

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 Empty Re: ALERT! Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report

Post by Liz Eagles 29.11.12 16:12

PeterMac wrote:That's what I thought.
"So if the accusation about the freezer was false, where did they keep the body" - might be the natural corollary
And nothing about "Falsely accused" of everything else.
Why did he focus on that one ?

Strange he did not mention the diaries, which is what their main gripe was about, if I remember.

Milliband mentioned it almost immediately.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29.11.12 16:24

Even though I'm still in total disbelieve, I'm seasoned enough to have expected this ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Swizzlestick 29.11.12 16:35

david_uk wrote:Has she had hair extensions put in?! very nice

You think... I thought her hairstyle makes her look hard..

Is it me, or does KM always look as though she is mentally "at a distance"? IMO.
Swizzlestick
Swizzlestick

Activity : 111

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 29.11.12 16:58

Here's Nick Clegg's comments when asked by John Baron what he's going to do about seeking justice through the legal system for victims (this is about the complexity and costs etc)

Nick Clegg

'I don't accept the underlying premise that all of this can be settled by courts and the criminal justice system. Kate and Gerry McCann, had their privacy abused with being accused of the most shocking, I mean vile accusations which they couldn't possibly have remedied through the law and you know they, you should read Gerry McCann's evidence if you really think it's undemocratic or illiberal if we should maybe set up a system which can help people like them. Gerry McCann went to the Press Complaints Commission and was basically told 'sorry, there's nothing we can do'. I mean, surely you have to have a heart of stone not to accept that something's seriously, seriously wrong when there is nothing which helps Kate and Gerry McCann that's why I strongly refute his idea (John Baron's) that is it illiberal and undemocratic to try and help them.'
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29.11.12 16:59

She doesn't seem to be at the news conference on the Hacked off panel???
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29.11.12 17:16

She's standing in the background on the right in this clip about the Hacked Off group.

http://news.sky.com/story/1018425/hugh-grant-camerons-leveson-betrayal

I'm sure she won't stay quiet for much longer.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll 29.11.12 17:37

The BBC silence re- the McCanns has been noticeable: last night's Newsnight discussion about Leveson omitted to mention them in a list of media victims, as did today's BBC news. It is some of the Sky newsreaders who mention them, and the tendency is to talk about them alongside the Dowlers.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll
russiandoll

Activity : 4058

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 29.11.12 17:39

Her problem is that they DID get legal redress.
They WERE awarded agreed damages for what was said.
They DID get apologies.
They got everything they wanted.
And their phones were NOT hacked. Mitchell said so.

So they have nothing to complain about.
All she can do is lurk behind another group who clearly DO have something to complain about.

Part of the problem is that Leveson conflated several problems.
Phone hacking - which is already a crime - but the person goes to prison and you don't get paid anything
Data Protection - which is already a crime - but the person goes to prison and you don't get paid anything
Writing untrue stories - which may be a civil tort of Libel - where the person does not go to prison (except TB, but these are the McCanns we are talking about so the rules are different, obviously) but you get lots of money and an apology and publicity
Writing garbage - which is normal, and people buy the papers to read it.

And has tried to roll it all up into a need for new regulation.
I cannot help but think back to Ian Hislop's evidence where he said (almost) "We don't need a code of conduct. We already have the criminal law"
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16577

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29.11.12 17:46

It's sickening. I don't often feel or say such a thing, but it is really sickening ...
From such a feeling, I cannot help it, my brain keeps functioning ... what the heck is happening here ...?!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 29.11.12 18:02

Sky News banner

Madeleine McCann's mother Kate says she hopes Leveson Report will 'mark the start of a new era' for British Press.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 29.11.12 18:16

russiandoll wrote:The BBC silence re- the McCanns has been noticeable: last night's Newsnight discussion about Leveson omitted to mention them in a list of media victims, as did today's BBC news. It is some of the Sky newsreaders who mention them, and the tendency is to talk about them alongside the Dowlers.

Without a doubt, they're being phased out. One might have expected fragrant GM to be there, but he is at least mentioned in dispatches by the equally fragrant Clegg. Nobody takes anything Clegg says seriously. Most people don't know what Milliband says either, so far I'm quite pleased.

Hugh Grant and his celebrity friends can go hang as far as I'm concerned, the press isn't a beast you can control once you've unleashed it yourself. They only want 'good' publicity to come out. Hugh Grant should in that case have thought twice that night in LA. Fair game from then on.
Imo the rot really started with the late Princess Diana who actively cooperated with Morton on the publication of inside information on the Royals. None of our business as long as nothing illegal takes place. She had the same problem, couldn't turn the press off like a tap.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 29.11.12 18:30

It's for the press to redress the balance. They can turn this McCann
victimhood on it's head if they so please. They've got all the evidence
they need.
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Ribisl 29.11.12 18:37

Hmm, when did Kate launch solo career? When was her last appearance in the duet??

Activity : 858

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane 29.11.12 18:50

aquila wrote:Sky News banner

Madeleine McCann's mother Kate says she hopes Leveson Report will 'mark the start of a new era' for British Press.

Yes me too Kate.....

....an era where the likes of your pink pimping, PR bullshit press man, Clarence Mitchell has no foothold whatsoever. An era where media manipulation does not exist, and the Mitchell's of the world cannot peddle endless drivel to journalists on behalf of dubious clients such as yourself, in return for a big fat paycheck.

T'would be a joy to behold! ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 160807
pennylane

Activity : 4406

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind 29.11.12 19:42

PeterMac wrote:Her problem is that they DID get legal redress.
They WERE awarded agreed damages for what was said.
They DID get apologies.
They got everything they wanted.
And their phones were NOT hacked. Mitchell said so.

It’s an interesting point isn’t it?
Why weren’t their phones hacked? Parents of the most famous missing child in the world? Previously suspects. Sued the press and won which must have grated a few people. Revenge is sweet and all that. One would have thought they would be prime candidates for a spot of hacking, right at the top of the list in fact....
monkey mind
monkey mind

Activity : 629

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind 29.11.12 19:46

Ribisl wrote:Hmm, when did Kate launch solo career? When was her last appearance in the duet??
And that’s an interesting point also. Didn’t she turn up at no10 sans Gerry last week? UP until now they have been like conjoined twins.
monkey mind
monkey mind

Activity : 629

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 29.11.12 20:02

Ribisl wrote:Hmm, when did Kate launch solo career? When was her last appearance in the duet??

I think the first appearance was on Lorraine Kelly (whatever the thing is called) as ambassador for missing children.
The 'first time on her own' was sort of discussed, but the whole thing was lacklustre.

Her ambassadorial role didn't extend to either the Tia or April case. In fact nothing ambassadorial seems to have been done so far. We'll be looking at the admirably detailed accounts of the Missing Children charity for this year with interest.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 29.11.12 20:29

From the official report
http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk

27. There were many other examples of egregious behaviour on the part of the press each one seen, at the time, as free-standing. The most serious were the treatment of Drs Kate and Gerry McCann following the disappearance on 3 May 2007 of their daughter, Madeleine, in Praia da Luz, Portugal and that of Mr Christopher Jefferies in December 2010, when he was caught up in the investigation of the murder of Joanna Yeates.

32. Second, and in any event, phone hacking is most decidedly not all that is amiss with the way in which some parts of the press have operated some of the time. Based on all the evidence that I have heard, I have no doubt that, to a greater or lesser extent with a wider range of titles, there has been a recklessness in prioritising sensational stories, almost irrespective of the harm that the stories may cause and the rights of those who would be affected (perhaps in a way that can never be remedied), all the while heedless of the public interest. In the determination to get the story, this involved those (like the Dowlers, the McCanns and Abigail Witchell) thrust into the public eye through circumstances beyond their control; it involved those who were simply connected to someone famous (like HJK, who was permitted to give evidence anonymously, and Mary-Ellen Field who certainly suffered the consequences when it was thought that she had been leaking details relating to her principal). In each case, the impact has been real and, in some cases, devastating.

40. These conclusions relate to the criticisms to be made of the culture practices and ethics of the press and which I have no doubt are fully justified albeit only in relation to some titles for some of the time. It is in the nature of this type of analysis that the focus is on poor rather than good practice. I repeat my view that the majority of editors, journalists and others who work for both the national and regional press do good work in the public interest, as well as entertaining their readers. I have no doubt that the press can take pride in most of its work. However, good practices do not require a public inquiry and do not require regulation and the other side of the coin requires a focus on those aspects of the culture, practices and ethics of the press which need to be addressed. In the end, the purpose of the Inquiry and of the criticisms made is to identify where the previous regulator has failed or fallen short, and where the new regulator must focus.
15 As evidenced, for example, by the approach to the publication of Dr Kate McCann’s very private diary.
16 It is for this reason that I am particularly grateful to those witnesses who were prepared to come forward to give evidence of their experiences with the press during the course of Module One: I recognise the personal courage that was required of each of them.
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11173

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 29.11.12 21:03

Does anyone know if Brian Leveson mentions Murat at all or is his treatment by the press deemed acceptable him (Leveson)?
ShuBob

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheshire Cat 29.11.12 21:36

ShuBob wrote:Does anyone know if Brian Leveson mentions Murat at all or is his treatment by the press deemed acceptable him (Leveson)?

Don't expect he mentions the Express journalist who explained that the reports he wrote were truthful and were supported by the PJ files now in the public domain. Several of the Express stories in August 2007 reported accurately the findings of Martin Grime and his dogs. I wonder how Martin Grime feels today?
Cheshire Cat
Cheshire Cat
Madeleine Foundation

Activity : 821

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 29.11.12 21:49

I expect that will be conveniently glossed over by the report, Cheshire Cat.
ShuBob

Back to top Go down

Post by T4two 29.11.12 22:02

pennylane wrote:
aquila wrote:Sky News banner

Yes me too Kate.....

....an era where the likes of your pink pimping, PR bullshit press man, Clarence Mitchell has no foothold whatsoever. An era where media manipulation does not exist, and the Mitchell's of the world cannot peddle endless drivel to journalists on behalf of dubious clients such as yourself, in return for a big fat paycheck.

T'would be a joy to behold! ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 160807

ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 351181 ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 351181 ALERT!  Kate McCann to give press conference this afternoon in response to Leveson Report - Page 2 351181
T4two
T4two

Activity : 171

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 29.11.12 22:30

ShuBob wrote:Does anyone know if Brian Leveson mentions Murat at all or is his treatment by the press deemed acceptable him (Leveson)?

No mention of Murat in the official report summary.

Where does the press stand on the practice of manipulating public perception by making up ridiculous stories about missing children, false sightings and bogey men, especially if they are going to advertise a fund in their article?
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11173

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 30.11.12 9:15

PeterMac wrote:
PM on now,
McCs "falsely accused of keeping their daughter's body in the freezer".

Ha! How and when was the PM appraised of that (body in the freezer I mean)?
This was never ever published in the mainstream - or have I missed it?

aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top