The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Mm11

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Mm11

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Regist10

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Empty Re: Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm

Post by monkey mind 01.12.12 14:00

Cristobell wrote:If I were a cynic, I might wonder if Gerry McCann was used as the less than popular spokesman for implementing Leveson's recommendations.
big grin thumbsup
monkey mind
monkey mind

Activity : 629

Back to top Go down

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Empty Re: Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm

Post by monkey mind 01.12.12 14:08

ShuBob wrote:Newintown, it is my personal belief that they WERE indeed hacked. I have no evidence but that's my deduction from what I've seen.
Let’s face it, considering their profile at the time hacking was in full flow coupled with their successful litigation against the papers, they AND their friends, it’s inconceivable to think that attempts weren’t made, and if they were successful we can only deduce that someone sufficiently high in the loop had the power to ‘lose’ the hack. Considering the way the likes of Mitchell, Brookes and Murdoch seem to have courted the them then that too isn’t really surprising is it?
monkey mind
monkey mind

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind 01.12.12 14:16

"If their phones were hacked, I wonder if SY would be able to access the information from them or if that would not be legal. I can't remember if the police are able to use phone evidence in the UK in a criminal trial. Perhaps PeterMac might be able to help on that."

Evidence obtained illegally by hacking would not be admissible in court as evidence presented by the police against the victim of the hack.
monkey mind
monkey mind

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer 01.12.12 14:18

I`m in agreement with you Monkey Mind.

One thing I haven`t fallen for is the charade that Dave is playing, i.e. that he wants press freedom - he most certainly does not.

And Cristobel - yes, what an excellent hand to play - any cause is doomed to failure if a McCann is at its head.

Activity : 3508

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 01.12.12 16:09

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/McCanns-PM-right-thing/story-17477289-detail/story.html

Gerry whining to a local paper. That man doesn't know when to stop.

He is so full of himself.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 01.12.12 16:23

aiyoyo wrote:http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/McCanns-PM-right-thing/story-17477289-detail/story.html

Gerry whining to a local paper. That man doesn't know when to stop.

He is so full of himself.

Yes! but love the comments, not a single pro Gerry or "poor Gerry" vote. Keep them coming. After all, there speaks the man who's managed to extract some half a million pounds from the press in 2008 - nothing more to come from that quarter so it's quite safe to ask for censorship now.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 01.12.12 17:07

Comments - with acknowledgements for plagiarising the first from this forum !

by PeterMacSaturday, December 1 2012, 6:02PM
“Just remind me, are these the same people?
The same people who wrote a daily blog for 3 years for all to see?
The same mother who presumably used her diary for reference to write her book?
The same mother who shared her darkest thoughts on the infamous 'p129'?
The same mother who wrote about her sex life?
The same mother who was paid a huge sum by Rebekkah Brook's newspaper ?
The same couple who hired a publicist / media adviser who boasted he could control what appeared in the press?
The same people who contacted the media within hours of their daughter being 'abducted'
The same people who refused to cooperate with the police
The same people who did regular staged photo shoots in PdL
The same people who set up photo shots in The Vatican with the Pope
The same people who set up photo shots outside The White House
The same people who went on the Oprah Winfrey Show
The people who now complain about Press intrusion ?
Or have I missed the point here ?”

by cherry1Saturday, December 01 2012, 4:24PM
“There seems to be some hypocrisy here on the part of the Mccanns who courted the press when it suited them, to publicise the 'Fund', Kate's book, Amber alert etc.
As for dignity, perhpas the Mccanns could afford Madeleine the dignity and respect of telling the truth about what happened to her. So far we have seen many versions and contradictions in their statements and interviews. There can only be one version of the truth.”

by cherry1Saturday, December 01 2012, 4:20PM
“Some hypocrisy here on part of the Mccanns who courted the Press when it suited them, to publicise the Fund, to publicise Kate's book, Amber alert etc.....
As for dignity, perhaps the Mccanns could have enough dignity and respect for Madeleine to tell what actually happened, so far there have been many versions, and statements and interviews contradict each other.”

by chrissSaturday, December 01 2012, 2:34PM
“I think Mr Mccann has no right to tell the P M what to do,after all Mr Mccann courted the press when there was a fund to be get,oh no Mr Mccann didnt mind selling his wifes diary to the press did he,now all of a sudden he doesnt want media intrution,well i will tell you what to do Mr Mccann,GO BACK TO PORTUGAL AND DO THE RECONSTRUCTION,after all you have not been cleared of anything by a court.”

by llamalambSaturday, December 01 2012, 12:39PM
“To be honest most of the papers were fairly sympathetic to the McCann's plight. It was really only the Daily Express that gave them a hard ride. They ought to realise that anything printed there needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.”

by redcatSaturday, December 01 2012, 12:22PM
“I think of all people the McCanns are in the least position to lecture anyone on 'doing the right thing'!”

by olive53Saturday, December 01 2012, 11:15AM
“Have to agree with Jules281, who in their right mind would leave three small children alone at night, in a foreign country whilst they dine out with friends!!!!
Had it been a single mother who left her young ones alone, she would have been visited by social services and rightly so
For two highly intelligent people they certainly have no common sense”

by Jules281Saturday, December 01 2012, 10:53AM
“DO THE RIGHT THING? did you do the right thing leaving your children on their own!”
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16570

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 01.12.12 17:30

Leveson: 60,000 Sign Hacked Off Petition

http://news.sky.com/story/1019123/leveson-60000-sign-hacked-off-petition

David Cameron will meet newspaper editors next week, as thousands sign an online petition calling for a law to regulate the press.5:17pm UK, Saturday 01 December 2012

The Prime Minister will meet newspaper editors next week, to discuss the future of press regulation and whether the industry can deliver it alone.

It comes as an online petition demanding the Government act on Lord Justice Leveson's recommendations in full has attracted more than 60,000 supporters in less than 24 hours.

Support for the petition launched by Hacked Off, the group campaigning for victims of phone hacking, has doubled overnight.

The Culture Secretary has warned newspaper editors not to drag their feet in acting on Lord Justice Leveson's calls for setting up a new press watchdog.

Maria Miller, joined by David Cameron, will meet the newspaper industry's most powerful editors next week to push for urgent action.

Paul Dacre has acknowledged that swift action is needed
Lord Hunt of Wirral, the chairman of the Press Complaints Commission, who will also attend, told The Times he wanted a speedy industry resolution to help persuade the public and MPs that laws were not needed to underpin the new independent regulator.

"There's an awful lot we can agree on and I have suggested to the industry (that we) all read the report, digest it and seek out the common ground and unite with one voice," he said.

Ms Miller's warning will come the day before editors on the Code of Practice Committee, chaired by Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre, meet to decide how to tackle the Leveson recommendations.

Mr Dacre said: "Lord Justice Leveson has set us a number of challenges: our task is to address them as urgently as possible."

It comes as reports emerged that Foreign Secretary William Hague warned Cabinet colleagues earlier this week that a "Leveson law" would undermine the UK's ability to address freedom of speech issues globally, particularly on cases such as the jailing of punk band Pussy Riot in Russia.

Best-selling novelist JK Rowling at the inquiry last November
A Government source told The Daily Telegraph: "It was a very serious presentation. He warned that Britain demonstrating that we have a free press is part of our ability to say we believe in democracy."

But David Cameron is under intense pressure to drop his opposition to a law backing up the new watchdog the press has been tasked with devising.

The Prime Minister is facing a backlash from victims of media intrusion over his resistance to legislation.

Author JK Rowling has said that she felt "duped and angry" by Mr Cameron's hesitance to "cross the Rubicon" and introduce a press law.

The Harry Potter author, who gave evidence about press intrusion into her family's privacy to the inquiry, said: "If the Prime Minister did not wish to change the regulatory system even to the moderate, balanced and proportionate extent proposed by Lord Leveson, I am at a loss to understand why so much public money has been spent and why so many people have been asked to relive extremely painful episodes on the stand in front of millions."

Gerry McCann said it was time for politicians to 'do the right thing'
The most high-profile victims of phone hacking refused to meet the Culture Secretary on Friday, saying they felt let down by Mr Cameron's response.

Despite the boycott, Ms Miller has met the leaders of the Hacked Off campaign and described the talks as frank.

Madeleine McCann's father Gerry said giving evidence to the Leveson Inquiry would have been "almost useless" if the proposals were not implemented in full, and urged the Prime Minister to "do the right thing".

London bombing hero Paul Dadge, a victim of phone hacking, said he was very disappointed with Mr Cameron's stance and called on him to back the public rather than the press.

Christopher Jefferies, the landlord wrongly arrested for the murder of Joanna Yeates, warned it would be a "disaster" if the recommendation on legislation was ignored, and said he would feel "let down" by Mr Cameron.

Lord Justice Leveson condemned the "culture of reckless and outrageous journalism" that dominated sections of the press for decades as he unveiled the findings of his 16-month inquiry on Thursday.

The Appeal Court judge called for a new watchdog with statutory underpinning to be given the power to require prominent apologies and impose fines of as much as £1m.

Mr Cameron immediately voiced "serious concerns and misgivings" about legislative action, and said the press should be given a "limited period of time" to show it could get its own house in order.

Labour leader Ed Miliband said: "Many of the victims of sections of the press will be feeling utterly betrayed by David Cameron."
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11159

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 01.12.12 18:38

I've just looked at the Hacked Off petition. To vote it requires a name and an email address. I'm not very bright at computer stuff but does it mean that people with multiple email addresses can have multiple votes?

I'm editing to add that another thought struck me. Can the petition be completed by people outside UK?
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 18:56

aquila wrote:I've just looked at the Hacked Off petition. To vote it requires a name and an email address. I'm not very bright at computer stuff but does it mean that people with multiple email addresses can have multiple votes?

I'm editing to add that another thought struck me. Can the petition be completed by people outside UK?
You may be [are probably] right Aquila. If it doesn't take more than a name and an email address, there's no way of checking out multiple votes [with throw-away email addresses] and no nationality required - anyone, anyone could put in a vote and decide on a very important issue for the U.K.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 01.12.12 19:01

Châtelaine wrote:
aquila wrote:I've just looked at the Hacked Off petition. To vote it requires a name and an email address. I'm not very bright at computer stuff but does it mean that people with multiple email addresses can have multiple votes?

You may be [are probably] right Aquila. If it doesn't take more than a name and an email address, there's no way of checking out multiple votes [with throw-away email addresses] and no nationality required - anyone, anyone could put in a vote and decide on a very important issue for the U.K.

If that's the case it's a load of (add a word of your choice).

I've noticed that there is also a plea for donations! Spearheaded by celebs with enough money to make Solomon blush and there is a plea for donations to run a website.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 19:06

[quote="aquila"]
Châtelaine wrote:

If that's the case it's a load of (add a word of your choice).

I've noticed that there is also a plea for donations! Spearheaded by celebs with enough money to make Solomon blush and there is a plea for donations to run a website.[/quote]

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 219423

No, surely not, with all the high profile people like JK Rowling, Hugh Grant etc., not to mention those that have won huge damages, they are asking for donations??Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 442375629
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 01.12.12 19:08

Here's the link candyfloss

http://hackinginquiry.org/support-the-victims/
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 19:10

Sorry Aquila, as you can see I have tried to edit that post but it won't work, the quote button went haywire again, and I can't put it right for some reason.

Thanks for the linkLeveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 636506
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 01.12.12 19:29

It's a not-for-profit company. If you look at the 'about' section and 'where do we get our money' it explains where the money comes from.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 19:32

Oh dear! Someone called No_Surprises has just posted on the This is Leicestershire website that the comments come from vile members of this site! This will I hope encourage people to see for themselves that we are far from vile.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 20:06

Video Ann Diamond versus Sarah Baxter - head to head on press regulation..........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20554361
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 20:53

Jean wrote:Oh dear! Someone called No_Surprises has just posted on the This is Leicestershire website that the comments come from vile members of this site! This will I hope encourage people to see for themselves that we are far from vile.

No surprise that this turns out to be Pam Gurney so I fear that all the comments will be deleted soon thanks to her and one or two other trolls stirring things up.

Never mind, she has to be thanked for the publicity she has given this site. Well done, Pam!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 01.12.12 21:17

Châtelaine wrote:

This petition isn't going to decide anything. Clegg and Milliband will.

But I feel that all of us so concerned about the way the press have covered the MM case are exactly the kind of people who should be supporting Leveson's proposals.

It's time to make the press barons accountable for their actions Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 160807
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 01.12.12 23:43

tcat wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:

This petition isn't going to decide anything. Clegg and Milliband will.

But I feel that all of us so concerned about the way the press have covered the MM case are exactly the kind of people who should be supporting Leveson's proposals.

It's time to make the press barons accountable for their actions Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 160807

No chance as far as I personally am concerned. I'm prepared to meet him halfway however.
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Empty Gerry McCann calls on MPs to redeem themselves

Post by Woofer 02.12.12 0:10

The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gerry-mccann-calls-on-mps-to-redeem-themselves-by-reforming-press-8372519.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=

Luv the piccie Gerry.Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 181154
Woofer
Woofer

Activity : 3508

Back to top Go down

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Empty Jenny Murat, Robert should have been at Leveson, Kate printed awful things about him in her book

Post by tigger 02.12.12 6:05

2/12 The Sunday Express today:

UK NEWS
JENNY MURAT: KATE MCCANN PRINTED SUCH AWFUL THINGS ABOUT MY ROBERT IN HER MADELEINE BOOK
Robert Murat's mother Jenny

Sunday December 2,2012
By James Murray

A MOTHER whose son was wrongly linked to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann has hit out at the way he is portrayed in a best-selling book about the mystery.

Briton Robert Murat was cleared of any involvement in the case four years ago but Kate McCann’s book Madelaine, about her missing daughter, has brought back painful memories for Jenny Murat, 76.

Having seen the McCanns’ suffering at the hands of the British press highlighted in last week’s Leveson report, she is anxious to stress her son’s total innocence.

She and Robert had hoped their nightmare would end in 2008 when he won £600,000 damages from British newspapers, but last night at her home on the Algarve, Mrs Murat spoke of how still the “tragedy consumes us, day in, day out”.

The widow and former nurse said: “Kate of all people should know what it is like to be wrongly accused, so how can she be comfortable repeating wrong allegations about my son in her book?”

In the book published last summer, Kate wrote: “Two officers talked openly about Robert Murat, who remained an arguido [suspect] and drip-fed us snippets of ‘evidence’ linking him to Madeleine.”

How can she be comfortable repeating wrong allegations about my son in her book?

However, later in the book she writes: “Nothing we were told by the police indicated Murat took Madeleine or was in any way involved in her abduction.” Mrs Murat argues: “Surely it would have been wiser not to mention the allegations from the outset if there was ‘nothing relevant’.”

The police spotlight fell on Robert 11 days after Madeleine vanished from the McCanns’ holiday apartment in Praia de Luz, Portugal in May 2007.

Mrs Murat said: “Robert was at my home throughout that night and thankfully that is now fully accepted as fact. He did not leave once.”

She feels Robert, too, should have been called to give evidence to the Leveson inquiry.

She explained: “Again we were denied an opportunity to put our side of the story. Robert was the subject of a most disgraceful character assassination, yet was not even invited to contribute to the debate. His life has been hugely damaged. This tragedy consumes us, day in, day out.

She added: “Kate’s book and the resulting publicity did not help. I do feel sympathetic towards the McCanns and obviously wish they could find their daughter. We can’t fathom the hell they must go through but they seem oblivious to the impact all this has had on our lives and the lives of others.

“We tried our best to help, but have ended being pilloried and abused and still it goes on.”

[b]Mrs Murat, now working on her own book about the case, added: “I am sick of all the half-truths and innuendos, so I do want a full and accurate record of the truth. It is important that our story is told.”

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/361930/Jenny-Murat-Kate-McCann-printed-such-awful-things-about-my-Robert-in-her-Madeleine-book

Back to top Go down

Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 Empty Background to Express etc.

Post by tigger 02.12.12 6:48

To add from the timeline of 2008:

12/3
Forbidden to write about Madeleine Jornal de Noticias
The journalists of Express Newspapers, the British media group that holds four tabloids, are forbidden to write about the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

And from the Independent article in Woofer's post: Gerry states:

“Our case has probably helped people understand how bad it is; and how it can be for so long, with so little truth.” unquote

This is beginning to look like a Greek tragedy, the main characters are going to be destroyed by the very demons they called up to assist them.
Hubris.
It's a bit rich to hear from Gerry that MP's have to 'redeem' themselves and as a postscript he now compares leaving three children in the dark, alone in a foreign country - out of earshot, out of sight with 'temporarily losing your child in a supermarket'.

Scanning McCannfiles here is a quote from Private Eye, the settlement was 550.000 and I believe paid out in March.
The quote below is a little strong but as it was printed in PE and already in the public domain, I expect it's OK to print.
Interesting is that the amount paid out isn't anywhere near the desired number of 1 to 4 million.

First news of action against The Express Group, 05 March 2008
Private Eye - UK satirical magazine (paper edition)

Richard "Dirty" Desmond called in at the Oscars in LA on his way back from hawking OK! magazine around Australia, bringing along his top snapper to record the great man rubbing shoulders with Hollywood's finest.

But pressing the flesh with Elton John and other celebrities was not a pleasure he wished to share with his senior sidekick Martin "Rottweiler" Ellice - who was told to go back to head office in London and deal with the small matter of his titles being sued by the McCann family for all the rubbish stories they have carried since last year, many of which suggested - without any justification - that the parents might have killed their own child.

Although Dirty Des's lawyers offered £250,000 in an attempt to settle quickly, the McCanns declined and insisted on £1m per newspaper - a total of £4m, covering the daily and Sunday versions of the Express and Star. Outside legal experts consulted by Desmond have reported back to him: "You're f*cked."

That should, of course, be "Carter-F*cked" - for Kate and Gerry McCann have indeed turned to Britain's most aggressive libel lawyers in their attempt to stem the flow of nonsense written about them.

The bad news: The DE pulling their articles was nothing to do with progress in the investigation.

The good news: The Mcs have hired Peter Carter-Ruck and Partners. For those who don't know, this means they are really desperate.

unquote

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob 02.12.12 12:11

Thanks Tigger for the article Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 725573

Nice one Mrs Murat. Nice one Express Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 110921
ShuBob

Activity : 1983

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores 02.12.12 12:39

Nice one Mrs Murat. Nice one Express Leveson Inquiry - report due TODAY 29.11.12 @ 1.30 pm - Page 4 110921[/quote]

Is this the Express trying to get its own back on the McCanns and friends?
Miraflores
Miraflores

Activity : 856

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top