The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™️ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Interesting article on simulated abductions in UK hospital

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Interesting article on simulated abductions in UK hospital

Post by Lance De Boils on 30.08.12 22:23

http://www.ipssw2011.com/files/draft.pdf

from p.30:
USING PAEDIATRIC SIMULATION TO TEST AND IMPLEMENT A HOSPITAL POLICY - BABY AND CHILD ABDUCTION

Rachel Hughes Senior Nurse/Matron Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, UHBristol NHS Foundation Trust,
Bristol, England, Caroline Haines, Nurse Consultant PIC/PHDU Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, UHBristol
NHS Foundation Trust, Bristol, England

Introduction
Paediatric nurses are using simulation to identify performance gaps, enhance curricula, test a system
& assess core competencies(1). Using this paradigm in non-critical care areas to improve quality of
care & safety for children in hospital (2) is a developing area of clinical nursing practice. In 2008, following
the abduction of Madeleine McCann, the Bristol Royal Hospital for Children (BRHC) commenced
a project using low fidelity paediatric simulation to test & implement their Child Abduction Policy

Objectives
Background
To discuss the principles of how the simulation might be undertaken, a draft policy was compiled & table-top
exercise undertaken. Floor plans of BRHC required updating & laminated action cards were created for those
personnel who would be involved in the process. Following alterations & ratification by the Hospital Board the
policy was dissemination, & plans for the first simulated child abduction event tabled.
Methods
Planning for the event involved 8 staff members, plus the Chief Executive. Staff were informed that the simulation
would occur during a specific week. Prior to the simulation an undercover team from within BRHC
tried on 12 occasions to steal a nurses uniform. All attempts were unsuccessful. On the day of the simulation
4 members of the action group were strategically positioned around BRHC. The abductor tailgated behind a
member of staff onto a medical ward, where they remained unchallenged. After 10 mins a member of the action
group approached a nurse & informed them that a child had been abducted. The main doors of the BRHC
were locked within 20 secs, however the abductor had already left the hospital. A debriefing involving all key
personnel occurred 4 hours after the simulation. Many suggestions & issues were raised. Direct feedback was
given to appropriate personnel & an action plan with time lines was compiled for the BRHC.
As a result of the first simulation the Abduction Policy was revised & a second simulation ran 6 months later.
On this occasion, staff were not informed that the event was to happen. Again the abductor tailgated behind
a member of the BRHC staff, onto a surgical ward. The abductor was immediately challenged & the policy
successfully activated. All hospital exits were locked within 4 minutes, however the abductor had still managed
to leave the premises. The debriefing followed the same format as previously, with the identification of a new
set of lessons to be learnt!
Results
Following the second simulation, the Policy was again updated & revised information placed on the hospital
intranet site & verbally communicated to all staff. The table top exercises & the two simulations provided
a wealth of information, with the overall awareness & necessity of individual roles required for the event,
becoming more embedded each time. This low fidelity simulation exercise was a hospital wide event. It
was a huge undertaking but proved to be a very effective way of disseminating a new hospital policy.
References
(1) Birkhoff SD & Donner C (2010) Enhancing pediatric clinical competency with high-fidelity simulation.
Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 41:9 pp 418-423
(2) Decker S,. Sportsman S., Puetz L. & Billings L. (2008) The Evolution of Simulation and Its Contribution to
Competency. The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing. 39:2 pp74 -80
Lance De Boils

Back to top Go down

Re: Interesting article on simulated abductions in UK hospital

Post by Guest on 30.08.12 23:05

I'm trying to fathom out why this hospital in Bristol thought that the case of Madeleine was in the least bit relevant - maybe the children's wards were being left unlocked and unstaffed!

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 30.08.12 23:10

Jean wrote:I'm trying to fathom out why this hospital in Bristol thought that the case of Madeleine was in the least bit relevant - maybe the children's wards were being left unlocked and unstaffed!
And all the staff out on the P*** !

PeterMac
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Angelique on 30.08.12 23:40

More than likely by mentioning Madeleine it will be just another re-enforcement that it was an "abduction" played out by someone on his own patch.

I would have thought these procedures were already in place, if not, a bit remiss of dear old NHS.

Back to top Go down

Post by Newintown on 31.08.12 0:25

Angelique wrote:More than likely by mentioning Madeleine it will be just another re-enforcement that it was an "abduction" played out by someone on his own patch.

I would have thought these procedures were already in place, if not, a bit remiss of dear old NHS.

There was a famous case of a baby abduction in 1990 from St Thomas's Hospital in South London. Alex Griffiths was abducted from the baby unit by a woman but was found some days later, safe and well, after a tip off. It was a huge case at the time and all the hospitals got in a panic and reviewed their safety policies around their baby/children's wards. I wouldn't have thought that their safety regimes have got so lapse that anyone could now walk into a children's unit and remove one of them without being noticed. I did a search and found a story on Alex Griffiths from 2008 -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1046613/Being-kidnapped-baby-best-thing-happened-me.html

This Bristol hospital simulation test smacks of reinforcing the Madeleine "abduction" as Angelique has stated.
Newintown

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores on 31.08.12 7:14

There was also one in Nottingham although I can't remember the year. I remember an elderly aunt was in the same hospital for a longish stay and they managed to lose her hearing aid and other personal items. I remember it because of my mother's comments about how careless they were - if they couldn't manage to look after babies, what chance did an old lady's possession have?
Miraflores

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 31.08.12 8:24

Abbie Humphries.

PeterMac
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.08.12 9:11

To the best of my memory, there have been three abductions of babies from British hospitals in the last 22 years; the two mentioned before in 1990 and 1994 and one slightly more recent. I cannot remember any details other than that the baby was a girl and Abbie Humphries' mother was interviewed and commented about the case.

It's unlikely that such awful events will happen again because of better security and awareness - to accredit this to the McCann case is just plain silly.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nina on 31.08.12 9:23

Jean wrote:To the best of my memory, there have been three abductions of babies from British hospitals in the last 22 years; the two mentioned before in 1990 and 1994 and one slightly more recent. I cannot remember any details other than that the baby was a girl and Abbie Humphries' mother was interviewed and commented about the case.

It's unlikely that such awful events will happen again because of better security and awareness - to accredit this to the McCann case is just plain silly.

Keeps the word ABDUCTION in the forefront of the mind though doesn't it Jean. Keep repeating after me type stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.08.12 13:22

I have found links to two other abductions from hospitals in the UK, so a total of four, the most recent in 2002.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/may/09/stevenmorris1?INTCMP=ILCNETTXT3487

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/37323.stm

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 31.08.12 13:37

Nina wrote:
Jean wrote:To the best of my memory, there have been
three abductions of babies from British hospitals in the last 22 years;
the two mentioned before in 1990 and 1994 and one slightly more recent. I
cannot remember any details other than that the baby was a girl and
Abbie Humphries' mother was interviewed and commented about the case.

It's
unlikely that such awful events will happen again because of better
security and awareness - to accredit this to the McCann case is just
plain silly.

Keeps the word ABDUCTION in the forefront of the mind though doesn't it Jean. Keep repeating after me type stuff.

Precisely!

According to Jean's link above, the last abduction from a UK hospital was in 2002. How this hospital can use the Maddie case from 2007 in a workshop dated 2011 to bolster whatever it is they doing to prevent abduction can only be a calculated attempt to reinforce the McCanns' story IMO. It stinks!

ShuBob

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum