The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Madeleine McCann - A Rational Discourse - new blog

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Madeleine McCann - A Rational Discourse - new blog

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 9:52

I see that a couple of people have picked up on my reference to the parents and friends having to prove their innocence. I preceded that statement with the word 'unfortunately', for good reason. It is clear to the whole world and its dog, that Kate and Gerry are desperate to find both Madeleine and Peace of Mind. Apart from coping with the loss of their beloved daughter (and yes, I think she was much loved), they also have to cope with questions about that night for ever more.

The publicity has been phenomenal, but its success was bound to attract armchair sleuths worldwide, as well as a few obsessive, crusader types who will never give up until they find their holy grail. People climb Mount Everest, just because its there. I am sure along with the 'Stephen Birchs' there are independents out there financing their own search for a 'live' Maddie.

We all want to know what happened to Madeleine. We want an ending to the story, closure. Preferably a happy ending. I would love nothing more than for her to be found safe and well, but my rational side tells me that the chances are unlikely, and it should be ok to say that.

Innocent until proven guilty may be written into the statutes, but human nature is too inquisitive for that, and often works the opposite way. It bypasses sympathy too, if it didn't cops would not be able to do their job. A woman could be found standing over the body of her husband with a smoking gun in her hand, and say 'it wasn't me, I'm the grieving widow', and the cop would say, 'oh, right you are then, I'll move on'.

This is a unique case - the files and investigation have been made public and we geeks have access to it. The parents have courted publicity which fuels the gossip further. Unless they retire into obscurity, the questions will never go away. It must be a nightmare situation.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Madeleine McCann - A Rational Discourse - new blog

Post by aquila on 19.07.12 10:00

@Cristobell wrote:
I see that a couple of people have picked up on my reference to the parents and friends having to prove their innocence. I preceded that statement with the word 'unfortunately', for good reason. It is clear to the whole world and its dog, that Kate and Gerry are desperate to find both Madeleine and Peace of Mind. Apart from coping with the loss of their beloved daughter (and yes, I think she was much loved), they also have to cope with questions about that night for ever more.

The publicity has been phenomenal, but its success was bound to attract armchair sleuths worldwide, as well as a few obsessive, crusader types who will never give up until they find their holy grail. People climb Mount Everest, just because its there. I am sure along with the 'Stephen Birchs' there are independents out there financing their own search for a 'live' Maddie.

We all want to know what happened to Madeleine. We want an ending to the story, closure. Preferably a happy ending. I would love nothing more than for her to be found safe and well, but my rational side tells me that the chances are unlikely, and it should be ok to say that.

Innocent until proven guilty may be written into the statutes, but human nature is too inquisitive for that, and often works the opposite way. It bypasses sympathy too, if it didn't cops would not be able to do their job. A woman could be found standing over the body of her husband with a smoking gun in her hand, and say 'it wasn't me, I'm the grieving widow', and the cop would say, 'oh, right you are then, I'll move on'.

This is a unique case - the files and investigation have been made public and we geeks have access to it. The parents have courted publicity which fuels the gossip further. Unless they retire into obscurity, the questions will never go away. It must be a nightmare situation.

Please explain why you consider rational people from all walks of life 'geeks' and choose to lump everyone on this forum 'together' in that statement.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 19.07.12 10:01

Could I ask you one simple question, please?
Do you, on the basis of the published files which you mention above, some of which I take it you have read, believe that Madeleine was abducted as claimed, some time between 9 and 10 pm on 3rd May 2007, from apartment 5a Ocean Club, Praia da Luz?

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 19.07.12 10:12

The lesson is obvious Cristobell.

Those who are terrified of CR, as you admit you are, shouldn't write a blog about this case.
Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 19.07.12 10:32

It must be a nightmare situation

I honestly cannot see this being a nightmare situation for the mccanns when they have become celebrities, millionaires, ambassadors, have the best protection of the land from all angles, complete media support...whilst getting away with the crime of child neglect!
jd

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 10:51

@aquila wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

Please explain why you consider rational people from all walks of life 'geeks' and choose to lump everyone on this forum 'together' in that statement.

It was meant affectionately Aquila, I'm very fond of geeks. They are the inventors, the discoverers, the movers and the shakers. No disrespect was intended.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by monkey mind on 19.07.12 11:15

@Cristobell wrote:

I can't take on board that she was a *much loved* child, such a child would have painted a very different picture that week. Such a child would have spent a great deal of time with her parents instead of being thrust into a creche EVERY morning and afternoon without fail whilst the parents indulged their sporting whims free from the burden of parenthood. Such a child would not have been left alone in an unlocked apartment at night, strange surroundings, alien country, and as eldest child at age three forced to bear the responsibility of carer for her two, two year old siblings should anything go wrong, this mantle of responsibility freeing the parents to indulge their socialite status and bellies. Such a child would have had, in years to come, an album of photographs to remind her of those happy days. visiting fun places, playing on the beach and by the pool with her brother and sister and her much loving parents. There was none of that, and what she has now, regardless of what happened to her, is less than nothing, less than nothing removed from what could have been. Not even a dream. Instead the good men and women of this country and others are left to dream for her whilst her parents parade themselves on telly , attend fund raising dinners and enjoy a high profile celebrity status, rubbing shoulders with media magnates and politicians, whilst seemingly flying the Madeleine flag. Tell me none of this is true and I'll be happy to change my opinion. Until then, I will form my opinions from their actions not their words, words are empty vessels compared to actions and one can often contradict the other. Truth works in harmony.

k] This is a unique case - the files and investigation have been made public and we geeks have access to it. The parents have courted publicity which fuels the gossip further. Unless they retire into obscurity, the questions will never go away. It must be a nightmare situation.

A nightmare is subjective, but if it is as you imply a nightmare situation for the McCanns, then it is definitely a self generated one for as you say, they have courted publicity. Right from the off in fact they, their family and their friends, leaped from the starting blocks and sprinted towards the media and those with influence over it. And they were going for gold it seemed. This part of their nightmare they have the power to drop.

I understand you are trying to present a balanced argument, to call it down the middle, but try not to bend over toward the McCanns too far, else you may fall over....

monkey mind

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 19.07.12 11:23

I'm getting a little confused Christabel, below I've copied a post of yours from last April:
Christabel wrote:
MY VERDICT AND IF THEY CAME CLEAN
Any mother who truly believed her child was in the hands of paedophiles would be a non functioning basket case, yet we have never seen that real heart churning grief that is tangible in other cases. Their obsession with wrecking other lives, takes this into a league of its own, and we can only hope that the full extent of the crimes that have been committed will eventually be exposed.
unquote

Although you do not say the crimes have been committed by the McCanns, it is implicated imo. I rest my case.

In early June you promoted your new book and this week we have your new blog with - again imo - a quite different view of the case.
You took the trouble to introduce a new topic to promote your book and here we have a new topic again about your blog. This apart from the separate topic about your radio interview.

View user profile http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 11:28

@russiandoll wrote: Could I ask you one simple question, please?
Do you, on the basis of the published files which you mention above, some of which I take it you have read, believe that Madeleine was abducted as claimed, some time between 9 and 10 pm on 3rd May 2007, from apartment 5a Ocean Club, Praia da Luz?

I wish I could answer with 100% certainty one way or the other Russiandoll. That I can't is probably, one of those things that keeps me coming back to this case. As satisfying as it is to see Inspector Poirot, tell us who did it, how they did it, and why they did it, its what makes this case so vexing. I do not feel qualified to judge anyone's guilt or innocence, and can only speculate with other mcCann buffs, and listen to alternate perspectives.

I am an observer with lots of questions russiandoll. And this is a fascinating case to observe, on many levels. I am trying to comment on this case dispassionately, and part of nature, still begs the question, what if I am wrong? Its probably why they have juries, so they can spread the guilt out among a few of them.

I don't think for one moment things happened as told on the night of 3rd May, and I am as curious as anyone else. I think a re-enactment however, would come across as one of those silents from an old black and white movie, where everybody walks really fast.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 11:33

@Spaniel wrote:The lesson is obvious Cristobell.

Those who are terrified of CR, as you admit you are, shouldn't write a blog about this case.

I beg to differ Spaniel, it makes us more creative - and thoughtful, perhaps.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 11:39

@tigger wrote:I'm getting a little confused Christabel, below I've copied a post of yours from last April:
Christabel wrote:
MY VERDICT AND IF THEY CAME CLEAN
Any mother who truly believed her child was in the hands of paedophiles would be a non functioning basket case, yet we have never seen that real heart churning grief that is tangible in other cases. Their obsession with wrecking other lives, takes this into a league of its own, and we can only hope that the full extent of the crimes that have been committed will eventually be exposed.
unquote

Although you do not say the crimes have been committed by the McCanns, it is implicated imo. I rest my case.

In early June you promoted your new book and this week we have your new blog with - again imo - a quite different view of the case.
You took the trouble to introduce a new topic to promote your book and here we have a new topic again about your blog.

My views pretty much depend on how much I have had to drink. I am often persuaded by arguments, in a 'never thought of that' kind of way, especially on here, btw. You personally have taught me much about forensic linguistics, for which I thank you.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaniel on 19.07.12 11:40

@Cristobell wrote:

Or stifled.

Spaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 11:40

@jd wrote:

I honestly cannot see this being a nightmare situation for the mccanns when they have become celebrities, millionaires, ambassadors, have the best protection of the land from all angles, complete media support...whilst getting away with the crime of child neglect!

I see your point JD, but would you want to be in their shoes?

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.07.12 11:41

@Spaniel wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

Or stifled.

or self-seeking.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 12:00

@monkey mind wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

I can't take on board that she was a *much loved* child, such a child would have painted a very different picture that week. Such a child would have spent a great deal of time with her parents instead of being thrust into a creche EVERY morning and afternoon without fail whilst the parents indulged their sporting whims free from the burden of parenthood. Such a child would not have been left alone in an unlocked apartment at night, strange surroundings, alien country, and as eldest child at age three forced to bear the responsibility of carer for her two, two year old siblings should anything go wrong, this mantle of responsibility freeing the parents to indulge their socialite status and bellies. Such a child would have had, in years to come, an album of photographs to remind her of those happy days. visiting fun places, playing on the beach and by the pool with her brother and sister and her much loving parents. There was none of that, and what she has now, regardless of what happened to her, is less than nothing, less than nothing removed from what could have been. Not even a dream. Instead the good men and women of this country and others are left to dream for her whilst her parents parade themselves on telly , attend fund raising dinners and enjoy a high profile celebrity status, rubbing shoulders with media magnates and politicians, whilst seemingly flying the Madeleine flag. Tell me none of this is true and I'll be happy to change my opinion. Until then, I will form my opinions from their actions not their words, words are empty vessels compared to actions and one can often contradict the other. Truth works in harmony.

k] This is a unique case - the files and investigation have been made public and we geeks have access to it. The parents have courted publicity which fuels the gossip further. Unless they retire into obscurity, the questions will never go away. It must be a nightmare situation.

A nightmare is subjective, but if it is as you imply a nightmare situation for the McCanns, then it is definitely a self generated one for as you say, they have courted publicity. Right from the off in fact they, their family and their friends, leaped from the starting blocks and sprinted towards the media and those with influence over it. And they were going for gold it seemed. This part of their nightmare they have the power to drop.

I understand you are trying to present a balanced argument, to call it down the middle, but try not to bend over toward the McCanns too far, else you may fall over....

LOL

I am indeed. The clue was in the title. I dislike the labels 'hater' and 'forker' etc, so I am trying not to outrage anyone. Whenever, I see someone speak with conviction, I wonder what it is that convinced them, and eluded me.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.07.12 12:07

@Cristobell wrote:
@monkey mind wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

LOL

I am indeed. The clue was in the title. I dislike the labels 'hater' and 'forker' etc, so I am trying not to outrage anyone. Whenever, I see someone speak with conviction, I wonder what it is that convinced them, and eluded me.

I dislike the word 'geek' when you attribute it to me (and others) and then say it is an affectionate term. I find your stance patronizing.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 12:29

@aquila wrote:
@Spaniel wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

Or stifled.

or self-seeking.

Self-seeking definitely. I am a writer and I have a book to promote - so hang me! Other than that, I have followed and commented on this case quite actively for over 5 years. I have posted here more frequently since the closure of my old AOL boards - the YGL and Europe Boards. That I have had a book published whilst I have been a poster, is by accident, rather than design. I am sure many of my old posts will come back to haunt me, lol, I have always used the Cristobell name.

Whilst I can appreciate your fear of advertising (I presume), I am an active member of this forum, and my book is about child abuse, a subject that is also of interest to many members. That it is of benefit to me personally, is a bonus, I have to make a living like anyone else. That I have chosen to blog on a topic I know quite a bit a about, is my choice, and I am merely letting readers here, know I have done a blog that is relevant to this forum.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ProfessorPPlum on 19.07.12 12:34

"I would love nothing more than for her to be found safe and well, but my rational side tells me that the chances are unlikely, and it should be ok to say that"

If we're to take your words at face value this implies that you believe either:

1) That she was abducted and came to harm
2) That she wandered off and was abducted and/or came to harm

From your words, it would appear that your start-point is that you believe the McCann's in their assertion that no-one died in 5A (to leave cadaver trace) and no-one staged an abduction (leading to so many inconsistent statements and so many claims completely unsupported by evidence).

Which is it?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jd on 19.07.12 12:45

@Cristobell wrote:
@jd wrote:

I see your point JD, but would you want to be in their shoes?

No because the way they have used their daughters name to benefit them to the level they have shows what terrible vile human beings they are. I would never wish to be like this and would rather be poor and decent than rich, have celebrity status by selling my own child. They are the ones who choose this nightmare course themselves which says everything about them, money and fame means more than their daughter. They have done everything a parent would not do in their so called 'search'...more like search unturned stones for more money & fame!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 12:49

@ProfessorPPlum wrote:"I would love nothing more than for her to be found safe and well, but my rational side tells me that the chances are unlikely, and it should be ok to say that"

If we're to take your words at face value this implies that you believe either:

1) That she was abducted and came to harm
2) That she wandered off and was abducted and/or came to harm

From your words, it would appear that your start-point is that you believe the McCann's in their assertion that no-one died in 5A (to leave cadaver trace) and no-one staged an abduction (leading to so many inconsistent statements and so many claims completely unsupported by evidence).

Which is it?

Apologies, its not very clear is it. I was going to precede it with, 'in a perfect world'. It would be nice to think that, but in my opinion, it is unlikely. The evidence of the dogs is pretty compelling.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 19.07.12 12:49

Christobel wrote:
[...] Whilst I can appreciate your fear of advertising (I presume), I am an active member of this forum,! and my book is about child abuse, a subject that is also of interest to many members. That it is of benefit to me personally,! is a bonus, I have to make a living like anyone else. That I have chosen to blog on a topic I know quite a bit a about,! is my choice,! and I am merely letting readers here,! know I have done a blog that is relevant to this forum.
unquote

It is difficult to have a discussion with anyone who changes their stance as often as you do. It is clear from earlier posts that you seem to have moved much closer to the official story as given by the McCanns.

Re the bolded sentence: it seems to be a contradiction in terms, if it is a surprise that it is of personal benefit - then 'having to make a living' doesn't follow. Only as a reason for posting your advertisements is that a valid argument imo.

As you are a published author and I take it that your work has been sub-edited, you use far too many commas imo as I have highlighted.

View user profile http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.07.12 12:52

@Cristobell wrote:
@aquila wrote:
@Spaniel wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

Or stifled.

or self-seeking.

Self-seeking definitely. I am a writer and I have a book to promote

Why not do it somewhere else in the normal channels.

- so hang me! Other than that, I have followed and commented on this case quite actively for over 5 years. I have posted here more frequently since the closure of my old AOL boards - the YGL and Europe Boards. That I have had a book published whilst I have been a poster, is by accident, rather than design. I am sure many of my old posts will come back to haunt me, lol, I have always used the Cristobell name.

Whilst I can appreciate your fear of advertising (I presume),

This forum is about finding truth for Madeleine. It's not about you or advertising your book or whatever it is you do. Please don't use this forum to promote yourself it's unsavoury to say the least. Your change of tact is so obvious. I shall not post another reply to you. Do your best to substantiate your post but have a heart and know that this is not the place to promote yourself.

I am an active member of this forum, and my book is about child abuse, a subject that is also of interest to many members. That it is of benefit to me personally, is a bonus, I have to make a living like anyone else. That I have chosen to blog on a topic I know quite a bit a about, is my choice, and I am merely letting readers here, know I have done a blog that is relevant to this forum.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 19.07.12 12:53

I think you will find Cristobell that the mccanns have brought all this on themselves,vile couple they are.
tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 19.07.12 13:24

"My views pretty much depend on how much I have had to drink. "

You say the above and want a topic with the title" rational discourse"? Are you having a laugh?
I would have enjoyed a vigorous debate with you over issues where members in many instances have entrenched views, the same way that I wish some hardened pro abduction- ers would come and debate sensibly.
However, because of the above quote, I will not be engaging in any further discussion. To say your alcohol levels dictate your opinions about such a serious matter is extremely offensive imo, why don't you limit your time on here to when you are not partially inebriated, then you might find your opinions don't sway in the wind.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 19.07.12 13:34

@tigger wrote:Christobel wrote:
[...] Whilst I can appreciate your fear of advertising (I presume), I am an active member of this forum,! and my book is about child abuse, a subject that is also of interest to many members. That it is of benefit to me personally,! is a bonus, I have to make a living like anyone else. That I have chosen to blog on a topic I know quite a bit a about,! is my choice,! and I am merely letting readers here,! know I have done a blog that is relevant to this forum.
unquote

It is difficult to have a discussion with anyone who changes their stance as often as you do. It is clear from earlier posts that you seem to have moved much closer to the official story as given by the McCanns.

Re the bolded sentence: it seems to be a contradiction in terms, if it is a surprise that it is of personal benefit - then 'having to make a living' doesn't follow. Only as a reason for posting your advertisements is that a valid argument imo.

I don't think I did express surprise, though do please feel free to correct me if I am wrong, the book is something that happened along the way, that I have an interest in the mccann case is incidental. I am not advertising plumbing or electricals tigger, I am promoting my work, on the grounds that it may be of interest to some who read here.

As for changing stance. I can only apologise. I wasn't aware that I had. I continue to look at different perspectives, however, and I am often swayed. My views remain pretty much the same, there are so many unanswered questions. Until we know, one way or another, we can only surmise based on the evidence available and our own judgment. I have read lots of interesting opinions and theories on this case, and I have a few of my own, but nothing I could take a firm stance on.

As you are a published author and I take it that your work has been sub-edited, you use far too many commas imo as I have highlighted.
[b] I am afraid that appalling grammar is all my own.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum