The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Honeymoon Murder Suspects Acquited

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Honeymoon Murder Suspects Acquited

Post by tuom on 12.07.12 20:39

I have been following this very sad case , the outcome is not good this evening...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Honeymoon Murder Suspects Acquited

Post by Guest on 12.07.12 20:42

Thank you tuom, a very sad case, it is here in the Independant too.............

Honeymooner's family 'desolate' after murder suspects cleared

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/search/simple.do?destinationSectionUniqueName=search&publicationName=ind&pageLength=5&startDay=1&startMonth=1&startYear=2010&useSectionFilter=true&useHideArticle=true&searchString=byline_text:(%22David McKittrick%22)&displaySearchString=David McKittrick]David McKittrick[/url]

Thursday 12 July 2012

Amid scenes of jubilation, two workers at a luxury hotel were today acquitted of the murder of a Northern Ireland woman killed while on honeymoon on the holiday island of Mauritius.

Loud cheering broke out in court after a jury took just two hours to bring in not guilty verdicts on two locals, who were accused of strangling Michaela McAreavey in her room at Legends hotel in January last year.

The verdicts were unanimous on the two men, who both broke down in tears in the dock as their supporters jumped to their feet in celebration.

Members of the McAreavey family walked straight out of court after the verdicts were announced.

They later issued a statement saying: “Following the endurance of seven harrowing weeks of this trial there are no words which can describe the sense of devastation and desolation.”

Meanwhile, defence lawyers were carried down the court stairs on the shoulders of supporters. Up to 300 supporters of the accused men mingled in chaotic scenes outside the courthouse building, whooping and cheering.

The defendants, Avinash Treebhoowoon, 30, and 42-year-old Sandip Moneea, said they were relieved but felt sorry for the McAreavey family, saying the killers were still at large.

Mrs McAreavey, a 27-year-old teacher, was the daughter of Gaelic football manager Mickey Harte, a household name in Ireland as one of the country’s leading sporting personalities. The trial attracted international attention.

Proceedings during the seven-week trial were marked by frequent disruptions, occasional noisy merriment from supporters of the accused, and by political references. Members of the McAreavey family who attended the trial were upset by its conduct and appealed for order.

Defence counsel attacked the performance of investigating police, describing them as “like Mickey Mouse - beyond stupid”.

One defence lawyer declared he was a Sinn Fein supporter with a great love for the Irish nation, which he said had suffered “a dark era of police brutality, extremism and miscarriages of justice”. He added: “I love that nation for the struggle against British colonialism.”

He appealed to the jury to “provide the truth to the people of Ireland and to Mrs McAreavey’s family” by finding the defendants innocent.

In an alleged confession, Treebhoowoon was said to have admitted he had been “caught red-handed” by Mrs McAreavey. But in court, he maintained his statement had been extracted from him by torture. He claimed police had beaten him up and plunged his head into a bucket of water.

The prosecution case was that the the two men strangled Michaela McAreavey when she unexpectedly returned to her room to fetch biscuits, interrupting them as they searched the room for valuables.

A short time later her body was found in a bathtub by her husband John McAreavey, who had followed her up to their room from a poolside restaurant. In emotional testimony he told of finding his wife and making frantic efforts to revive her.

He said he had been handcuffed by police and left alone in a room for five or six hours. He was first asked whether he had had an argument with his wife, but said officers had later been far more sympathetic towards him.

He described the day his wife died as “the day my life was ended.” He and other relatives remained in Mauritius during the trial.

Prosecuting counsel said that several “grotesque theories” had been put forward by the defence but added: “All the theories were short-lived and quickly abandoned one after the other

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/honeymooners-family-desolate-after-murder-suspects-cleared-7939204.html

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 12.07.12 21:38

I've been to Mauritius. The holiday complex I stayed in was manned by guards. The staff were not allowed to fraternise with the holidaymakers and were bussed in and out between shifts. The beach was private to the hotel and any traders on the beach had to have a licence - they were still pests and constantly badgering to sell you things. The place was sanitized for the tourist. One day we decided to go for a walk to the public beach and left the complex on foot. Within a few minutes we were surrounded by a number of Mauritians immediately pointing to and asking to 'buy' my husband's watch. They began as friendly and then became more agitated when we said we weren't interested and were just going for a walk. They surrounded us. A group of holidaymakers emerged from a nearby hotel with golf bags and saw this. Thankfully they noticed we were in a dangerous situation and told the men to go away which they did immediately because the guys with the golf bags weren't leaving - thank you those South African, savvy okes.

I didn't feel unsafe in the complex. How on earth could something terrrible happen on a dream holiday in a guarded complex? How naive was I. Well it did to this poor family. My heart bleeds for them. If they were expecting justice from what is basically a second world country relying on tourism for its income then they've just been doubly broken. I can believe there was a swoop to get a culprit immediately to appease the potential damage to tourist income. I can believe someone was given a beating and made a sacrificial lamb. Who cares if some insignificant person goes to prison as long as the tourist industry is intact and the police are shown to be effective.

As for their promise to find the murderer(s) I wouldn't hold my breath.

So, so, so sad.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 15.07.12 21:18

More heartache for this family today, I have just been watching the news on RTE 1 and apparently photographs of Michela McAreevey post mortom have been published in a newspaper in the holiday resort , I will try and get a link to it , it is so sad
tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 16.07.12 0:31

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18848595

It makes British newspapers seem decent.

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 16.07.12 9:54

The reports I have read state the crime scene photos were published, not post- mortem photos. Still appalling.
I am refraining from comments on the Mauritian judicial system, because I do not want to become involved in the kind of comments that were made about Portugal and its second if not third -rate system after Maddie vanished. I do not know enough about the case, the island's authorities or forensic evidence to make any comments about it, but I recall a lawyer saying on Friday that no forensic evidence was found to link the 2 accused to the crime scene. I will try to read and learn more about this very sad story.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 16.07.12 10:02

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: The reports I have read state the crime scene photos were published, not post- mortem photos. Still appalling.
I am refraining from comments on the Mauritian judicial system, because I do not want to become involved in the kind of comments that were made about Portugal and its second if not third -rate system after Maddie vanished. I do not know enough about the case, the island's authorities or forensic evidence to make any comments about it, but I recall a lawyer saying on Friday that no forensic evidence was found to link the 2 accused to the crime scene. I will try to read and learn more about this very sad story.

Thanks RD that is what I meant to say , the photographs were of the crime scene , showing Michela's body and pictures of her injuries, a member of the Irish Government is to meet with the Ambassador of Mauritis based in Ireland today to discuss this , I will get a link to the television news .
tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 16.07.12 21:25

According to RTE news this evening the newspaper offices were raided by police today in trying to establish who leaked the pictures , the case is getting very political now

tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.07.12 7:32

Just came across this snippet:

Mauritius honeymoon murder: We're not even safe in paradise, 13 January 2011

Mauritius honeymoon murder: We're not even safe in paradise The Telegraph

By Judith Woods
7:00AM GMT 13 Jan 2011

- Extract -

When I visited Mauritius, in 2006, I was with my elder daughter, then aged three. As she was too tired from the day's giddy excitements to stay up past supper, I would tuck her into bed before heading off, without a second’s thought, to dine with friends.

A year later, Madeleine McCann was taken from an Algarve holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Her appalling abduction robbed a family of their daughter and every parent of their prelapsarian innocence – their naivety – that far-flung locations were automatically safer, strangers kinder, risks lower than at home.

I shudder now to think of having left my child – albeit inside a locked hotel room – alone in what is, for all the fluffy white bath robes, a developing nation, where petty crime has an altogether more desperate, vicious edge. My hotel was luxurious to a fault, peopled with a vast number of smiling staff and well-heeled guests; does that make it less likely or more likely to be targeted by criminals?
unquote

No wonder there are so many apologists for the neglect of the McCanns.

View user profile http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 17.07.12 8:53

To leave a child of that age locked in anywhere is a disgrace. Can you imagine being in unfamiIiar surroundings, in semi -darkenss, waking to find parents not there and trying to open a door to find you can't?
This woman never even mentioned a monitor or baby listening service..the latter being in bursts and who knows how long a crying child has been crying before he or she is heard?
I wish some folks would book holidays appropriate for their circumstances. These Indian Ocean islands seem tailor- made for couples, there seems to be little in the way of child friendly activities in the brochures.

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 17.07.12 9:46

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote: To leave a child of that age locked in anywhere is a disgrace. Can you imagine being in unfamiIiar surroundings, in semi -darkenss, waking to find parents not there and trying to open a door to find you can't?
This woman never even mentioned a monitor or baby listening service..the latter being in bursts and who knows how long a crying child has been crying before he or she is heard?
I wish some folks would book holidays appropriate for their circumstances. These Indian Ocean islands seem tailor- made for couples, there seems to be little in the way of child friendly activities in the brochures.

Apart from it being disgraceful to leave her child in a locked room, it would have been glaringly obvious that her child was absent at dinner. Was she under the impression that paedophiles don't holiday/work in posh resorts? I am aghast as to why it seems perfectly reasonable to lock a sleeping child in a room in a foreign country to go out and dine when it's definitely not acceptable to do it at home. Would this same person have locked her 3 year old daughter in her bedroom at home and nipped out to a nearby restaurant for a bite to eat? There is another astounding slip too. People had keys to that apartment/room - cleaners, reception etc. Hotels have safes for valuables and there's an obvious reason for that.

There is once again this lack of parental responsibility. There is also a lack of accountability by holiday companies offering child monitoring services (which are unnacceptable to me but that's because I wouldn't leave my child alone and rely on a total stranger to listen at a door). It's been stated MW did not offer a child listening service in PDL because of the spread of the complex. It's been stated that leaving children alone in Portugal is a criminal offence. Perhaps the nitty gritty is that MW didn't offer that particular service because it was illegal to offer it. However, MW have not once come out to confirm that as far as I know. MW have also to my knowledge not made a statement assuring their customers that their nannies are CRB checked, professionally trained child-carers. MW have not to my knowledge addressed the creche records.

Sorry if I've strayed off topic here but russiandoll has made a very valid point and Tigger has posted yet another cracker.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 17.07.12 9:49

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:Just came across this snippet:

Mauritius honeymoon murder: We're not even safe in paradise, 13 January 2011

Mauritius honeymoon murder: We're not even safe in paradise The Telegraph

By Judith Woods
7:00AM GMT 13 Jan 2011

- Extract -

When I visited Mauritius, in 2006, I was with my elder daughter, then aged three. As she was too tired from the day's giddy excitements to stay up past supper, I would tuck her into bed before heading off, without a second’s thought, to dine with friends.

A year later, Madeleine McCann was taken from an Algarve holiday apartment in Praia da Luz. Her appalling abduction robbed a family of their daughter and every parent of their prelapsarian innocence – their naivety – that far-flung locations were automatically safer, strangers kinder, risks lower than at home.

I shudder now to think of having left my child – albeit inside a locked hotel room – alone in what is, for all the fluffy white bath robes, a developing nation, where petty crime has an altogether more desperate, vicious edge. My hotel was luxurious to a fault, peopled with a vast number of smiling staff and well-heeled guests; does that make it less likely or more likely to be targeted by criminals?
unquote

No wonder there are so many apologists for the neglect of the McCanns.

OMG [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
tuom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17.07.12 10:07

Judith Woods won't have had any problems going along with the "we all do it" (leaving children unattended) concept being broadcast everywhere in 2007 but sadly she was older but no wiser four years later. What a mind-numbingly stupid thing to say.

I haven't heard of her before in relation to sycophantic stories about the McCanns though.

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 17.07.12 12:57

you would think this woman was related to or a close friend of the McCanns given the following

elder daughter, then aged three. As she was too tired from the day's giddy excitements to stay up past supper, I would tuck her into bed before heading off, without a second’s thought, to dine with friends.
so very Maddie ish this picture being painted, you could almost substitute for the day's giddy excitements, fun at the creche.wonder what giddy excitements there were on that island for toddlers, maybe there was a kids club, can't see the little one scuba diving or snorkelling[ please excuse the sarcasm folks]. A little girl too jiggered to stay awake while mummy ate [ how far away from the room I wonder], no way could she be parked asleep in a buggy [if there was one available] while mummy and pals ate. Maybe a buggy not needed in general for a 3 year old, but on holiday when very tired it saves you carrying her around and saves her little legs from walking too far. You see Mummy dearest, if you had taken a buggy you could have reclined it and had the little one by your side at supper. They have been known to sleep through new year parties 3 year olds, and I am sure at such an exclusive resort you and your pals never made that much noise at a dinner table.

All missing from the above quote are the following, blonde, bath, milk, biscuits, story. And tapas.
So safe isn't it.tucked up in bed?

and the xenophobia is there too.....a developing nation, where petty crime has an altogether more desperate, vicious edge.
a teenager was stabbed the other day not too far from my home in a nice part of a nice city in a developped country, quite petty and vicious imo as it happened when he would not give up his bicycle to his attacker. Not seriously hurt luckily.
and petty crime....the woman was talking about leaving her child alone, and comparing the situation to Maddie McCann, Here she seems to be referring to having her passport or some object stolen. Idiot.

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.07.12 13:29

I'm glad you've all picked up on this.

I couldn't believe it - the worst thing is that she's a journalist working for a respected newspaper, not a tabloid.

What hope is there that she will ever denounce anyone for something she evidently thinks is perfectly 'normal'?
The dangerous situation a three year old can get into in seconds! With 'critics' like this, the McCanns need not worry.

Well spotted xenophobia RD - I missed it.

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 17.07.12 13:33

Just to highlight the dangers:

Two-year-old Marylou Rondeau fell into the water at her Quebec home after darting outside while her parents were inside the house.
She was found unconscious at the bottom of the above-ground pool moments later, but despite frantic attempts by the family to resuscitate her she later died.
Her mother, Julie Dufault, 27, hopes to warn other parents about the need to supervise children at all times around water.
'It really doesn't take a lot of time. Even if you go to the washroom, make sure [the pool] is secure and the door is locked.'
Dufault said her daughter was able to access the pool because their back patio door was broken.
'We were supposed to go get a new lock,' she told Radio-Canada.
'We always tell ourselves it will happen to others. This happened to us.'
Marylou died at her home in St-Remi, a small town in Montreal, at around noon on Thursday, one of two drownings involving toddlers that day.

Read more: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 17.07.12 17:05

btw the stabbing was a rumour, the 16 year old was beaten up by a gang of young men aged 20s, even after giving up his bike and mobile phone and is in a coma. What a wonderful non primitive country the UK is! I hope he recovers.

unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tuom on 17.07.12 23:17

Update from Irish Television this evening :

tuom

View user profile