The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

The Mary Bell case

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Mary Bell case

Post by Guest on 16.11.11 13:05

There doesn't seem to be a topic on this case already. I've been refreshing my memory today by watching a documentary made in 1998, 30 years after the events in Newcastle. There are some similarities to the James Bulger case; two children from terrible backgrounds accused of killing two small boys. It's interesting to see that, although the case received a lot of publicity, there was nothing like the same degree of can I say hysteria and outrage as there was over the way that James's killers were treated.

Here's a link to the first part of the programme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SHfH75pcv4

Back to top Go down

Re: The Mary Bell case

Post by Newintown on 16.11.11 13:16

[quote="Marian"]There doesn't seem to be a topic on this case already. I've been refreshing my memory today by watching a documentary made in 1998, 30 years after the events in Newcastle. There are some similarities to the James Bulger case; two children from terrible backgrounds accused of killing two small boys. It's interesting to see that, although the case received a lot of publicity, there was nothing like the same degree of can I say hysteria and outrage as there was over the way that James's killers were treated.

Here's a link to the first part of the programme. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]]

Hello Marian

I remember that case very, very well. It shocked the nation at the time. Maybe the reason there was no hysteria and outrage as in the Jamie Bulger case was because things were more sedate in those days, there were no CCTV cameras especially in shopping centres (showing Jamie being led away) and no all day news programmes. I think there were probably 2 or 3 news programmes on TV a day, midday, early evening then 10 p.m. It doesn't mean that the crime was any less severe than Jamie Bulger's it was just that things were done differently in the 60s/70s. People talked about these crimes but in hushed tones as there were so few of them. Now murder is an everyday occurrence and people think nothing of it in most cases, which is a terrible indictment of our times and judiciary system, especially when a life sentence means about 7 years, in the UK anyway.

There has been an explosion of media coverage in all walks of life since then on high profile crimes, I'm not sure if that's for the best or not.
Newintown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum