The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™️ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Leicester police Chris Eyre...."I can assure you that at no time were statements withheld and not passed on."

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leicester police Chris Eyre...."I can assure you that at no time were statements withheld and not passed on."

Post by IAmNotMerylStreep on 05.10.11 11:30

Sunday Express, Sunday November 08, 2009, paper edition only

The head of Leicestershire Police has rejected claims from a former Portuguese detective that his officers withheld a witness statement from the Madeleine McCann inquiry.

Chris Eyre, the Temporary Chief Constable, who recently apologised over a mother and daughter driven to suicide, said "I can assure you that at no time were statements withheld and not passed on."

Mr Eyre responded after Freedom of Information requests were submitted by the Sunday Express.

I thought it had been established that Leicester Police withheld the Gaspar Statements so why did this police officer lie to the media?
IAmNotMerylStreep

Back to top Go down

Re: Leicester police Chris Eyre...."I can assure you that at no time were statements withheld and not passed on."

Post by Guest on 05.10.11 12:05

Perhaps all correspondence between two countries has to go through the Home Office first and maybe the hold up was actually with the Home Office and not the Police.

I don't know for sure, but I'm just trying to read between the lines and this might explain his comment.

Back to top Go down

Re: Leicester police Chris Eyre...."I can assure you that at no time were statements withheld and not passed on."

Post by Get'emGonçalo on 05.10.11 12:16

This witness statement from the couple, S.G. and K.G., is taken by the English police on May 16th, thirteen days after Madeleine's disappearance. That information, very important for the progress of the investigation, was never sent to the Portuguese police. When the Portuguese investigators learn about similar events that allegedly took place during a holiday in Greece - without, however, obtaining reliable witness statements -, they tell the English police, who, even at this point, refrain from revealing what they know on the subject.

It will only be after my removal from the investigation, in October 2007, that this statement will finally be sent to the Portuguese police. Why did the British keep it secret for more than six months?

This is from Chapter 9 of Goncalo's book

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t1710-chapter-9-majorca-september-2005
Get'emGonçalo

http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on 05.10.11 12:27

Stella wrote:Perhaps all correspondence between two countries has to go through the Home Office first and maybe the hold up was actually with the Home Office and not the Police.

I don't know for sure, but I'm just trying to read between the lines and this might explain his comment.

I can't see that being the case Stella as there are a lot of emails from Stuart Prior direct to Portugal accompanying various statements to them so there was a lot of direct contact.

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 05.10.11 12:45

True. Besides why would Police need to send investigation process info to HO first?

Why did they decide to send it post Amaral? Which begs the question: was it sent voluntarily or the PJ found out about it and asked for it?
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.10.11 13:41

Well that's interesting. I thought I would look at the original statement to see if there was anything on it to suggest whose hands it had passed through, but the original statement is missing from the files. The translation is there on PJ headed paper, but not the original statement that Mrs Gaspar would have had to sign.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnificat on 05.10.11 13:48

I wonder if that means the statement is fake?

magnificat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.10.11 13:57

No. I would think it either means the original was asked to be witheld from the DVD, or the Portuguese were never given the original and was only ever allowed to translate and keep a copy of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by magnificat on 05.10.11 14:01

Thanks. I noticed at the bottom of this thread there's a similar topic about a cover letter of the Gaspar Statement

Gaspar Statements cover letter from Leicester police

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t2036-gaspar-statements-cover-letter-from-leicester-police
magnificat

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 05.10.11 14:20

More confirmation that the original is no where to be seen. Perhaps that statement was the subject of a seperate ongoing investigation?, as such it could not be handed over to the Portuguese.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum