The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Mm11

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Mm11

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Regist10

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case

View previous topic View next topic Go down

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Empty David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case

Post by sharonl 28.02.11 8:19

Fresh hope for mother of Ben Needham as British police may investigate 1991 Greek snatching for first time

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 4:20 PM on 27th February 2011

• Comments (28)
  • Add to My Stories

The disappearance of toddler Ben Needham may be investigated by British police for the first time, two decades after he was snatched in Greece.

Prime Minister David Cameron gave his mother Kerry, 39, fresh hope when he lent support for a new investigation.

No trace of the 21 month old was ever found after he vanished from Kos on a family holiday in 1991.
David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Article-1361140-0D62EBD0000005DC-65_224x423
David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Article-1361140-01EE5F05000004B0-810_224x423

Mystery disappearance: Ben Needham was just 21 months when he was seized in Kos, right. Left is a computer generated image of what he might look like now

Kerry, 39, believes that her son was abducted and then sold for adoption. Now South Yorkshire Police could be called in to investigate the two decade old bungled probe.

The mother is also calling for Greek police to re-open the investigation as Mr Cameron signaled to her in a letter that British police could investigate.

Kerry told the Sunday Express: 'I have written to every Prime Minister since Ben went missing and have received run of the mill replies.

'Mr Cameron's response seems the most sincere. His letter felt like he really sympathises me.'
Kerry last visited the popular tourist island in 2008 – but has no intention of going back after being rebuffed by the authorities.

Mr Cameron wrote to her: 'I can promise you that South Yorkshire Police will have the support of the government and our embassy in Greece in pressing for whatever information or co-operation they require.'
A new artists impression of what Ben might look like has been released today that shows what he might look like.
Kerry will mark the 20th anniversary of the disappearance on July 24 this year.

Ben and his mother were staying with his maternal grandparents Eddie and Christine Needham in Iraklise, Kos, when he disappeared.

The toddler was seized within moments of him going to play outside a farmhouse, which his grandfather was renovating in the village of Iraklise.

Kerry was working as a waitress on the island at the time.
She has a 17-year-old daughter Leigh-Anna and married Craig Grist in 2006.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1361140/Ben-Needmans-Greek-snatching-investigated-British-police-time.html#ixzz1FEuvozWR
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11173

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Empty Re: David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case

Post by sharonl 28.02.11 8:26

There is more imformation in yesterdays Sunday Express - no, not on the front page with "Maddie" or "McCann" in extra large print as you may expect but on a completely McCann free page towards the middle.

I did`nt get a good look at the article last night as it was a paper belonging to someone that I was visiting. I hope to nick that paper tonight when I replace it with todays Express. I will scan the article here later.

The article says that David Cameron is supporting a new investigation and that there is a petition that requires 100,000 signatures.

Deja vu
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Empty Re: David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case

Post by ufercoffy 28.02.11 8:28

sharonl wrote:Prime Minister David Cameron gave his mother Kerry, 39, fresh hope when he lent support for a new investigation.

There you go, Kate McCann, forget about jumping on bandwagons and going to candlelit vigils for other missing people to keep your own pathetic mug in the press and start making friends with Dave and Glam Sam Cam. thumbsup

Activity : 2101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.02.11 8:35

Good news !! and it didn't take making Ben a Ward of Court either to do this, so why was Madeleine?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 28.02.11 22:37

Unfortunately I was unable to retrieve the copy of yesterdays Sunday Express - does anyone else have a copy?

Anyway, here is the petition

http://www.gopetition.com/petition/42827.html
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 28.02.11 22:46

A little more here

David Cameron’s ‘sympathies’ - as new image of missing Ben released

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case 1305507049

Missing: Ben Needham as he may now look as a young man. Illustration: Tris Rossin

Published on Mon Feb 28 14:33:27 GMT 2011

THE Sheffield mum of missing toddler Ben Needham hopes new leads may finally be pursued in the search for her boy - after she received heavyweight support from the Prime Minister David Cameron.

Kerry Needham, aged 38, from Ecclesfield, has spent 20 years battling senior police and government figures to continue the search for her son, who went missing on the Greek island of Kos when he was just two years old.
Kerry has written to every prime minister, and to several members of the royal family, since her son disappeared - but has never had any success.

Now she has hope the investigation may get going again in earnest, after David Cameron pledged to fight her corner.
In a personal letter to Kerry the PM wrote: “I cannot begin to understand how devastating the last 19 years have been for you and your family and I extend my heartfelt sympathies.

“I can promise you South Yorkshire Police will have the support of the Government and our embassy in Greece in pressing for whatever information or co-operation they require.

“I am sorry you still have so many unanswered questions. I hope the efforts of South Yorkshire Police will begin to provide some of the answers.”

Kerry, who described the letter as “the most sympathetic I have received from any government”, is now hoping investigators will start following up some of the original leads that were not pursued at the time of Ben’s disappearance.
To help the search, she has issued a new picture of Ben as he might look now, aged 21, and has written to South Yorkshire Police to pass on the PM’s message.

She told The Star: “The Prime Minister’s letter was reassuring. The authorities have done very little over the years and this letter shows me they are at last taking an interest.
“I want the investigation re-opened from day one - I want the police here to look at the Kos police investigation, to see if they have missed anything.

“And I want them to get out there.”
Ben and Kerry were staying with his grandparents, who were renovating a farmhouse on the island, when he disappeared.

Over the years her frustration has mounted, as British police officers failed to visit the island and Greek police failed to follow up on leads.

She said the reason behind issuing the new picture is for Ben - who she thinks may have been sold to another family - to recognise himself.

The pictures are being distributed as part of a new online campaign to spread the word about Ben.

A new website has been developed - www.helpfindben.co.uk - and campaigners are using Twitter and Facebook.

“Obviously, it is still early days,” Kerry said. “But if the Prime Minister follows through with what he has promised I hope it might get things moving again.”
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Back to top Go down

David Cameron supports new Investigation in Ben Needham case Empty Was Ben Needham 'seized' or 'snatched'?

Post by Tony Bennett 01.03.11 15:28

sharonl wrote:Fresh hope for mother of Ben Needham as British police may investigate 1991 Greek snatching for first time

The disappearance of toddler Ben Needham may be investigated by British police for the first time, two decades after he was snatched in Greece.

Prime Minister David Cameron gave his mother Kerry, 39, fresh hope when he lent support for a new investigation. No trace of the 21 month old was ever found after he vanished from Kos on a family holiday in 1991.

Mystery disappearance: Ben Needham was just 21 months when he was seized...
But was Ben Needham 'seized' or 'snatched'?

If the Britsih police are going to fully investigate this '1991 Greek snatching', they will almost certainly have to re-question Ben's uncle Stephen, who roared off on his motor-bike at the very moment Ben disappeared (his then 18-year-old mother had left Ben in the care of his grandparents and uncle whilst she was at work).

There is no hard evidence that Ben was abducted.

Here are some data on the case:

1. From Wikipedia

On the day of his disappearance, Ben had been left in the care of his grandparents while his mother went to work at a local hotel. He had been playing near the doorway of the family's farmhouse whilst the adults were having lunch. His grandmother had taken her eyes off him for just a few minutes when it was discovered he was gone. This was sometime around half past two in the afternoon.

The family first searched the area for Ben, assuming he had wandered off, or that their teenage son, Stephen, had taken him out on his moped.

2. From a Guardian article

On 24 July, Christine, Eddie, Danny, Stephen and the owner of the house, Michaelis Kypreos, were in the farmhouse eating lunch. Ben was playing on the terrace just outside the door. He was running in and out, pouring water over his head and messing about with a stick. They could see through the open door on to the terrace where Ben was playing. There was a tree on which they'd hung his wet shorts.

At about two-thirty, Stephen left on his moped to go for a swim, a beer and a shower at Kerry's flat. Ben wanted to go with him; he'd been on the bike before, and now he wanted to go with his uncle. A few minutes after Stephen left, Christine registered that Ben had gone quiet and went outside. [NOTE by T.B. Earlier that morning he had been playing on the motorcycle and sitting on it]

He was nowhere to be seen. She, Eddie, Danny and Michaelis Kypreos searched up and down the lane, in the field by the house, in a nearby orange grove, calling for him, looking anywhere he could conceivably be. When they couldn't find him, they assumed he must have gone with Stephen; it was the logical explanation. They thought Stephen had taken Ben for a ride and would bring him back.

About an hour later, thinking Stephen had gone to the caravan instead of coming back to the farmhouse, or had gone to Kerry's flat, Christine walked back to Paradisi, while Eddie, Danny and Kypreos stayed working on the roof.

In the early evening Eddie went to the caravan expecting to find Ben with Christine. He wasn't, so Eddie went to Kerry's flat, thinking he'd be there. Stephen was there, but without Ben. Eddie raced back to the caravan to tell Christine and then went back to Herakles in the Land Rover. Stephen took Christine to the police on his bike and then joined his father. It was several hours since Ben had vanished by the time the police took Christine to the hotel to tell Kerry what had happened. Kerry had finished her shift and was sitting by the swimming pool when her mother arrived, sobbing, to tell her Ben had disappeared.

The police took them both to Herakles to join Eddie and the boys. They searched, going to places that Ben could never have got to, covering some 15 acres, through olive groves and pomegranate orchards, riverbeds and long grass. The next day Kos police began their investigation and their first questions were directed at the Needhams.

3. Summary of a TV documentary about the case

Revisits the case of Ben Needham, who disappeared ten years ago when he was twenty one months old whilst the family were staying on the Greek island of Kos. No trace of him has ever been found, although there have been several reported sightings and false trails. Ben's uncle Stephen Needham undergoes hypnosis to see if he can revive any memories of the day that may prove useful. He has disquieting images of killing Ben in a motorbike accident and burying him, but since police suggested this to him on several occassions during past interogations this may not signify anything.

4. From a Guardian article

When the family returned from Kos, though, Stephen got back into a normal pace of life much sooner than his sister and parents did. Within two years he was living with a girlfriend and by the time he was 23, he had two daughters. He was working on a building site, had passed his driving test and was enjoying life. But his relationship with the girls' mother started to break down, and eventually he left. "I know nobody would understand someone walking away from their kids," he said. "It killed me. If I'd stayed I wouldn't have been able to carry on. I'd have given up. I was already going through emotional stress: it was either leave and get away from it or go down with the sinking ship. But I was bonded with my children and that's what nearly killed me."

Ever since the police questioned Stephen, their idea that he might have had a hand in Ben's disappearance has haunted him. "Did I take him, did I pick him up and put him on my bike, did I drive down that lane? I was questioning my own sanity. It was always there. How could a child disappear, how could he just vanish? Did I forget him somewhere or have an accident? Did I run over him or fall off my bike? I've asked myself that again and again."

In 2001, when another TV documentary was made, to coincide with the 10th anniversary of Ben's disappearance, Stephen was asked if he would be interviewed and whether he would undergo a form of hypnotherapy on camera. He agreed because he'd heard it might help to retrieve hidden memories. In the film he had to revisit the last moment he saw Ben and confront the doubt created by the police interrogation. It was traumatic but, when the filming was over, Stephen walked away sure that any suspicion that he or anyone else might have harboured that he could have accidentally killed Ben would be dispelled once and for all. Despite this, and although the film exonerates him, Stephen's fears were justified.

A year ago, he was out having a drink with his brother Danny and Kerry's husband, Craig. "One of my mates was half asleep, drunk on a sofa and a group of lads were threatening him, so I went over and said, 'Give up, he's drunk,' and one of them went, 'Oh, aren't you that uncle of that Ben that disappeared?' I said yes. 'You took him on your bike, didn't you?'"

5. 2003 Police investigation into Steve Needham and Kerry Needham's partner

THE uncle of missing child Ben Needham was last night at the centre of a police investigation in North Wales. Steve Needham was arrested early on Sunday after 22-year-old Alison Jarvis claimed she was grabbed and bundled towards a car in Wrexham. Also arrested was Pierce Mount, the partner of Ben’s mum, Kerry Needham. Miss Jarvis, of Cunningham Avenue,Wrexham, told officers she had been on a night out when she was confronted at about 3.30am outside Choice’s Video Shop,on Market Street. She claimed Mr Needham tried to drag her towards the car park on St George’s Crescent, where Mr Mount was waiting.
Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by Pauline2011 03.03.11 2:05

Just been to sign the petition.

There are only 1080 signatures.

I think that's rather sad
Pauline2011
Pauline2011

Activity : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.03.11 21:45

I have moved this topic here for now. I have asked Jill and she agrees until Tony decides if he wants it to stay.

The reason being Antionette started a topic about Tony's post which has been published on a blog (can't remember name, could be muratfans?) where she slagged off Tony for saying such things, and other posters were joining in. Our cherry came on to say it was lies, and made up, but it is here on our forum. Anyway Antoinette said it was all over the internet, and she would remove it until she had verified it was true.

So I have put it here for Tony to decide whether it should go back to main forum.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.03.11 21:52

I understand it was muratfans fake blogspot which was posted up
about Tony, the one which had posted up the photos of his son and grandson,
I suggested to Antoinette she needed to remove it as it was libellious against Tony.
It was then removed.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.03.11 22:00

Cherry wrote:I understand it was muratfans fake blogspot which was posted up
about Tony, the one which had posted up the photos of his son and grandson,
I suggested to Antoinette she needed to remove it as it was libellious against Tony.
It was then removed.

It probably was muratfan who else, but it was the post made at 3.28 on this thread by tony they put up and were slagging

[quote snipped]

But was Ben Needham 'seized' or 'snatched'?

If the Britsih police are going to fully investigate this '1991 Greek snatching', they will almost certainly have to re-question Ben's uncle Stephen, who roared off on his motor-bike at the very moment Ben disappeared (his then 18-year-old mother had left Ben in the care of his grandparents and uncle whilst she was at work).

There is no hard evidence that Ben was abducted.

It looked the same to me. Perhaps if you know the blog cherry you could check?

I
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.03.11 22:02

I dont actually know the blog candy, I was on the phone to JM at the time and
read it to her and she recognised it as muratfans blog.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06.03.11 15:26

I looked at it quickly last night before it got whooshed and saw the title, which was the same as Tony's post here, then saw all the nasty comments on MM, especially by Antionette, panicked rushed back here asked Jill and moved it here, in case it was what was posted here, so that Tony could decide. Has Tony seen this blog is it still there?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 06.03.11 15:46

Can I just say that no one has to ask me if they can move stuff. Sometimes I may not be online when something needs to be done urgently...just do it please if it's for the benefit of the forum and our members.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 41060

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang 06.03.11 15:58

Fail to see what the hoo hah is regarding the comments Tony made. Tony is not alone in suspecting that Stephen may have been involved in Ben's disappearance, I think this also.

Indeed, I swallow a textbook everyday….a fact of which I am proud smug By far preferable and productive than wasting precious hours concocting and launching vitriolic attacks against others in the hope of gaining a few claps on a board frequented by lesser life form.
kangdang
kangdang

Activity : 1845

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 06.03.11 16:39

It was interesting to see on MM when Antoinette put it up, she immediately
made a comment about who did tony think he was then molly made the same
kind of comment. It would be good I think for a review to be done on this.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kangdang 06.03.11 19:22

Tony has voiced his concerns of the Needham case several times over the past three years or so when it has been discussed - Why are his comments being picked up on now?

Indeed, I swallow a textbook everyday….a fact of which I am proud smug By far preferable and productive than wasting precious hours concocting and launching vitriolic attacks against others in the hope of gaining a few claps on a board frequented by lesser life form.
kangdang
kangdang

Activity : 1845

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.03.11 9:17

Approximately 18 months to 2 years ago, I contacted a guy who claims to be residing in the canary islands, or it could have been Majorca now (memory not so good), who said he was trying to get justice for Ben. I googled the case at the time to try and find out if Ben had been made a WOC and this is how I came across his contact details. He told me that he is still in contact with Kerry and that he is investigating the case free of charge. I asked him if he could tell me if Ben had been made a WOC and he confirmed to me that he has not. So I thanked him for his information and wished him luck in his pursuit. I wonder if I still have his details?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top