The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Mm11

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Mm11

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Regist10

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Empty Re: Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 9:27

Well that's an hour of my life I won't get back and it looks like there are another seven to go!

Largely a Summers & Swan compered presentation interspersed with old news videos and short interviews cut in from various people.

Jayne Jensen, Neil Berry, David Jones (Club owner), Jon Clarke (journo), Sandra Felgueiras, Maria Laurinda Jones (local resident), Mirage Bar owner, Rui Gustavo, Robert Murat, GA, Barry Sadler (Prop. Dev.), Ernie Allen (Washington), Robert Hall (Senior Corr. BBC), John Buck, and probably a few others.

Berry identifies his daughter Jessica as the girl at the back left in yellow with MM with her back to us in the middle.

Bashing through Episode 2 now, but much of the same so far.
Doug D

Activity : 5283

Back to top Go down

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Empty Re: Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 10:17

Episode 2 ' Person of Interest'

Best thing is the old news footage which hasn't been seen for years . 

Robert Murat, Jim Gamble, S & S, Robert Eveleigh, Sergey Malinka, Father Haynes Hubbard.
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 10:31

@Doug D
Thanks for the info. you're certainly on the ball, can I ask how many episodes are available just now?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 10:55

I think they're probably all there.

1. The Beneath Truth
2. Person of Interest
3. Pact of Silence
4. Heaven and Earth 
5. The Fightback
6. Dark Places
7. Truth and Lies
8. Somebody Knows
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by EnglishBull 15.03.19 11:08

Is this the "mainstream" narrative the McCann want us to believe or is it a legit documentary that asks questions? I will wait before watching it as i think it totals around 8 episodes which is about 8 hours. I watched the trailer and its seems they are going with the "mainstream" version of events but to be fair thats only 2 minutes of 8 hours.
EnglishBull
EnglishBull

Activity : 91

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 11:10

Doug D wrote:I think they're probably all there.

1. The Beneath Truth
2. Person of Interest
3. Pact of Silence
4. Heaven and Earth 
5. The Fightback
6. Dark Places
7. Truth and Lies
8. Somebody Knows
Thanks again, some of those titles are not inspiring however I'll need to reserve judgement until I've watched them I suppose
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 11:30

Episode 3 'Pact of Silence'

Jim Gamble, Paulo Cristava, Justine McGuiness, Mc's 'world tour' with plenty of clips, inc. Pope.
Too much about Rui Pedro disappearance from 1988.
S&S
Sightings, including Marrakesh, Ernie Allen, More JG.

Then halfway through the whole feeling for the program changes.
Margarida Davis (journo) brings in the 'Pact of Silence' article, talks about the previous Casa Pia investigation and then starts to cast doubts on the various statements. 'None of it makes sense'. She says the title of the article came from DP who agreed with GM not to talk about what happened.

GA 'Alliance between everyone to protect someone'.

Someone from Nat Inst. Legal Forensic Medicine, Coimbra.

Sandra F & GA casting doubts. Even S&S seem to agree.

Nothing is as we were told. GA feeling 'Its Staged'.

Interviews (I think some recent) with Martin Grime.

Some of dogs video shown.

Sandra 'I was 100% sure that they (Mc's) didn't share the whole information they had. Something very different from what they told the world happened.'

A much more interesting episode once it got past half way.
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 12:02

You're doing a sterling job, keep it up! At this rate we'll know everything by this evening big grin
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 13:44

Of what I have seen and heard  it looks like another cover up,I do wish
some one would tell us the truth and then let Madeleine rest in 
Perfect peace.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 14:49

For those who do not have Netflix but would like to watch the documentary (s) if you have a firestick or android device download an app. called titanium tv, you'll find it there (I have no association with them it's a freely available app )
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 15:04

Synopsis (from the episodes)
Part 1: gives the general Madeleine went missing etc.
Part 2: while the investigation into Madeleine's disapearance continues, the police begin to suspect that a helpful onlooker may be hiding something
Part 3: as the Portuguese police face increased media scrutiny, the Mccanns find their account of the night of Madeleine's disappearance called into question.
Part 4: the use of forensic dogs at the crime scene leads the investigators in a new direction. Later an allegation rocks Gerry and Kate McCann.
Part 5: as the world turns against them, the McCanns receive some support. Also a change in leadership shakes up the investigation.
Part 6: private investigators reinvigorate the search for Madeleine. An FBI sketch artist takes another attempt at drawing the chief suspect.
Part 7: the search for Madeleine takes investigators down a dark path. The McCanns battle Goncalo Amaral in court.
Part 8: the media is taken to task for ethical missteps. Despite it being more than a decade since Madeleine was last seen, the McCanns remain fueled by hope

Just to be clear the above synopsis for the episodes are copied from the episodes apart from part 1 which was introductory and long winded so I shortened.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Empty LOST

Post by Portia 15.03.19 15:51

Netflix just lost me after five minutes into the documentary, naming Praia da Luz as on the Mediterranean.

Also little Maddie is now purported to have sailed in a two-mans boat, jumping overboard trying to save a fallen-out co-sailor.

Too much for me, after only five minutes.

Sorry, bowing out!
Portia
Portia

Activity : 140

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.03.19 16:25

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/15/disappearance-madeleine-mccann-netflix-review-moral-failure
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.03.19 17:02

HKP wrote:Synopsis (from the episodes)
Part 1: gives the general Madeleine went missing etc.
Part 2: while the investigation into Madeleine's disapearance continues, the police begin to suspect that a helpful onlooker may be hiding something
Part 3: as the Portuguese police face increased media scrutiny, the Mccanns find their account of the night of Madeleine's disappearance called into question.
Part 4: the use of forensic dogs at the crime scene leads the investigators in a new direction. Later an allegation rocks Gerry and Kate McCann.
Part 5: as the world turns against them, the McCanns receive some support. Also a change in leadership shakes up the investigation.
Part 6: private investigators reinvigorate the search for Madeleine. An FBI sketch artist takes another attempt at drawing the chief suspect.
Part 7: the search for Madeleine takes investigators down a dark path. The McCanns battle Goncalo Amaral in court.
Part 8: the media is taken to task for ethical missteps. Despite it being more than a decade since Madeleine was last seen, the McCanns remain fueled by hope

Just to be clear the above synopsis for the episodes are copied from the episodes apart from part 1 which was introductory and long winded so I shortened.
@HKP     Thank you very much for that official summary of the episodes, very useful indeed.

It is as plain as a pikestaff that these episodes will end up with the conclusion that Madeleine was abducted.

Moreover, I predict a very skillful job - much better than the one-hour BBC Crimewatch McCann Special shown on 14 October 2013 - in pulling together all the queries in this case, dogs, smell of death, blood, DNA, contradictions etc.,with a carefully-woven tale dealing expertly with all the doubts in people's minds.

It will confirm the abduction narrative, of course. The majority of the public will be convinced, as usual, that there really was an abduction.

No mention of awkward things like the Last Photo being taken on Sunday, not Thursday, nor the possibility that the disturbing Make-Up Photo was possibly taken the same day. Probably no real mention of all those dodgy and criminal private investigators and the dirty tricks they got up to.

But this time, tens of millions worldwide will see this further cover-up, not just the 7 million that watched BBC Crimewatch.

The BBC Crimewatch programme cost over £2 million to prepare - £1 million each for the BBC and the Metropolitan Police.

The Netflix production will have cost many millions more.

==============

P.S.  No doubt Jill, the forum-owner, will be pleased that, once again, when Madeleine stories break, CMOMM is the 'Go-To' forum, with hundreds on the forum every moment of today, no doubt reflecting thousands upon thousands of visitors

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by ufercoffy 15.03.19 17:57

Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Smithm10

Activity : 2101

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannz 15.03.19 18:13

IMO It is slickly produced and gives the impression that the digs, dna are discredited, Portuguese police are untrustworthy and that Amaral has a history. Sandra Felgueiras’s comments on Amaral were damning. McCannites such as Justine McGuiness, Hubbards, Kennedy, Swann and Summers primarily tell the story. A lot on the media, but not much substance why abduction is doubtful. It manages to both note many of the reasons for suspicion and then move beyond them. We hear Swann discrediting the forensics as if she is authority on the subject (she reports having spoken to ‘two top forensic scientists with 60 years experience who said...’). Inconsistency in stories are normal, Portuguese police claim that T7 are lying is their usual baseless fit up when they don’t have better. 

The main things I took from it was that many McCannites believe in them - e.g. Hubbard’s and Kennedy. It also looks like Kennedy took the lead in getting in dodgy investigators ready to cross the line and they got conned by them (But it was never going anywhere anyway).

McCann doubters were portrayed as internet trolls and haters. It gave the impression of being fair, balanced and accurate while not so. 

I’m not sure why it took so long to get aired. It didn’t feel like they had to radically alter and re-edit to change to a pro McCann angle. But that’s possible- e.g. filling with much more McGuiness and S&S. But I get the impression it wasn’t ever going to be a critical look with own investigators etc. 

Smithman efits said to have been done by Oakley. But then evidence against McCanns said to tumble down such as Smiths retraction of identifying Gerry (as told by Swann).

McCanns did themselves a favour by not being in it.

The final part holds out hope for finding Madeleine- maybe even 23 years after her disappearance. I hope we don’t have to put up with this for that long.
Dannz
Dannz

Activity : 173

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 18:30

Episode 4 -  Heaven & Earth

Rest of dog videos, Martin Grime, S&S, GA, Sandra F,

Dog videos with cars & clothing

Rui Gustavo, Justine McG, David Hughes (Justine’s friend who came out to help her), 

Heaven & Earth - a Gloria Hunniford Sunday programme.

Hubbards

Sedation? GA talking about twins sleeping through all the disruption & KM regularly checking their breathing.

S&S back on their track. (In episode 3 it may just have seemed that they were agreeing to some of the doubts because of the way their interview has been cut and pasted)

Preliminary results of blood/DNA tests and (S&S) how these were misrepresented in Portugal

Portimao Police Station. Interviews.
Carlos Pinto De Abreu talked about ‘plea bargain’ to KM. 
GA says this was not the case. Just that the differences in charges for different offences were pointed out.

S&S ‘ridiculous allegations’

Hubbards,

Arguido Interviews. 48 questions KM declined to answer, but played right down.

David Hughes, Justine McGuiness ‘English not first language’ of many, implying 
causing confusion.

Sandra F.
Kelvin McKenzie, Jim Gamble, 

Flight home
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.03.19 19:18

ufercoffy wrote:Netflix probes Madeleine McCann disappearance in new documentary - Page 6 Smithm10

Er...anyone who was 80% certain they'd identified the abductor as Gerry McCann (or even 60% - 80% certain), as the Smiths claimed to have done, would NOT...

* three months later, agree to work for Gerry McCann, Brian Kennedy and Metodo 3

* thereafter co-operate with the team of fraudster & criminal the late Kevin Halligen and ex-Head of MI5's Covert Intelligence Unit, Henri Exton, employede by the McCanns and Kennedy

* draw up two efits (of different-looking men!) in co-operation with the ex-Head of MI5's Covert Intelligence Unit

* agree to let the McCanns, Channel 4 and Mentorn Media use their evidence as a major plank of the theory that Smithman and Tannerman were one and the same

* agree to their sighting being used on the McCanns' website to frame an abductor and continue the McCanns' abduction narrative

* agree to changing the age of the man he said he saw a second time (down to 34-35) in order to suit the summary of their sighting being posted as an audio on the McCanns' website

* agreed to his sighting being featured on SEVEN pages of Kate McCann's book, 'madeleine', once again in support of the theory that Smithman and Tannerman were one and the same

* meet years later with a top Met Police officer who was preparing a programme to pursue the abduction theory and exonerate the McCanns' from any responsibility whatsoever for Madeleine's disappearance

* consent to their efits being used in that programme to bolster the 'stranger abduction' theory

* meet a second time with the top Met Police officer to help in his final preparations for the programme.

------

At this point, I can hear someone saying: "Ah, but Martin Smith has never formally signed a retraction".

To which I would reply: "Quite so. But then actions speak MUCH louder than words"      

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannz 15.03.19 19:40

Er...anyone who was 80% certain they'd identified the abductor as Gerry McCann (or even 60% - 80% certain), as the Smiths claimed to have done, would NOT...

That doesn’t strictly follow. It is possible, for example, that after reporting this to Leicestershire Police on 20 September, the Smiths were coerced or bribed in some way.
Dannz
Dannz

Activity : 173

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 20:31

Still got 4 episodes to watch, but this is The Telegraph’s review of the whole thing:

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Netflix, review: bloated and manipulative, this documentary series tells us nothing new

Ed Power 15thMarch 2019, 6.22pm

The controversy swirling around Netflix’s Madeleine McCann documentaryin the end has proved more sensational than what has reached the screen. Delays and reports of wrangling behind the scenes raised the possibility of explosive new revelations as the streaming service applied the true crime formula pioneered by Making a Murdererto the mystery of the little girl who vanished from an Algarve holiday apartment in May 2007 as her parents enjoyed a meal with friends 100 yards away.

Alas, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCannsimply confirms that the true crime genre has become prisoner to its crassest tendencies. The eight-part series is somehow at once overwrought and melodramatic and also crashingly turgid. Kate and Gerry McCann refused to participate and are said to have urged friends likewise to decline director Chris Smith’s advances. It’s hard not to see why. 
This is exploitative filmmaking on auto-pilot – a box-ticking re-hashing of the case garlanded with a few vague intimations of sinister figures who might (or might not) have had something to do with the disappearance. At eight hours, it is furthermore far too long, with aimless detours into the historical roots of tourism in the Algarve and the spread of paedophile rings throughout Europe. 
Without the McCanns, Smith (director of Netflix’s excellent recent Fyredocumentary) casts about widely for focus. He draws his sights on the Portuguese police, whose paranoia is eclipsed only by their anarchic investigation techniques. Their theory that Madeleine’s parents had been drugging and accidentally overdosed their daughter is debunked. But only after Smith cynically leads us to believe the authorities are indeed justified in briefly naming Kate an official suspect. 

It’s horribly manipulative. “I probably didn’t really like him. It wasn’t a warm engagement,” says Jim Gamble, former chief executive of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, of his first encounter with buttoned-down Gerry. Later Gamble recalls giving the father a pep talk in which he declares that whoever knows something about the disappearance should come forward while they have a chance (nudge, nudge Gerry). Gamble at this point is explicitly portrayed as suspecting the parents – a distrust that we are encouraged to share. 

Yet, in the next episode, the rug appears to be pulled away, though it would be a spoiler to reveal exactly how. Suffice it to say that beneath the glossy production values – endless languid shots of the Praia da Luz resort start to feel inappropriate given the subject matter – Smith has stooped to the tawdriest bait and switch. The only intention is keeping us glued.  

More than 40 individuals were reportedly interviewed but, for the most part, it is the same parade of talking heads. Gamble pops up repeatedly, as do Looking For Madeleine authors Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan and former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie. Later we are introduced to Brian Kennedy, the double-glazing millionaire swooping in as the McCanns’s benefactor. The closest to a villain is Gonçalo Amara, the Portuguese police chief who wrote a self-justifying book pinning Madeleine’s fate on the McCanns. 

A bigger issue is sheer over-familiarity. Among Netflix’s international subscriber base the basic facts of the case may be fresh and gripping. To anyone who has lived with the story since 2007, the déjà-vu soon becomes exhausting.
And yet, there’s nothing else – no compelling theories, no new witnesses or evidence. The final episode dissolves into a gossipy hit-parade of weirdos, reprobates and spectres allegedly sighted in the vicinity of the McCanns’s apartment in the hours around Madeleine’s disappearance. However, there’s no substance – or even intelligent conjecture: the presumption, never stated out loud, is that child traffickers were probably responsible for the abduction. The closest to a concrete conclusion is Gamble’s belief that the truth about Madeleine will come out in his lifetime. Viewers may wish they had followed the example of the McCanns and steered clear. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/0/disappearance-madeleine-mccann-netflix-review-bloated-manipulative/
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.03.19 20:39

Doug D wrote:Still got 4 episodes to watch, but this is The Telegraph’s review of the whole thing:

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann, Netflix, review: bloated and manipulative, this documentary series tells us nothing new

Ed Power 15thMarch 2019, 6.22pm

The controversy swirling around Netflix’s Madeleine McCann documentaryin the end has proved more sensational than what has reached the screen. Delays and reports of wrangling behind the scenes raised the possibility of explosive new revelations as the streaming service applied the true crime formula pioneered by Making a Murdererto the mystery of the little girl who vanished from an Algarve holiday apartment in May 2007 as her parents enjoyed a meal with friends 100 yards away.

Alas, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCannsimply confirms that the true crime genre has become prisoner to its crassest tendencies. The eight-part series is somehow at once overwrought and melodramatic and also crashingly turgid. Kate and Gerry McCann refused to participate and are said to have urged friends likewise to decline director Chris Smith’s advances. It’s hard not to see why. 
This is exploitative filmmaking on auto-pilot – a box-ticking re-hashing of the case garlanded with a few vague intimations of sinister figures who might (or might not) have had something to do with the disappearance. At eight hours, it is furthermore far too long, with aimless detours into the historical roots of tourism in the Algarve and the spread of paedophile rings throughout Europe. 
Without the McCanns, Smith (director of Netflix’s excellent recent Fyredocumentary) casts about widely for focus. He draws his sights on the Portuguese police, whose paranoia is eclipsed only by their anarchic investigation techniques. Their theory that Madeleine’s parents had been drugging and accidentally overdosed their daughter is debunked. But only after Smith cynically leads us to believe the authorities are indeed justified in briefly naming Kate an official suspect. 

It’s horribly manipulative. “I probably didn’t really like him. It wasn’t a warm engagement,” says Jim Gamble, former chief executive of the Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre, of his first encounter with buttoned-down Gerry. Later Gamble recalls giving the father a pep talk in which he declares that whoever knows something about the disappearance should come forward while they have a chance (nudge, nudge Gerry). Gamble at this point is explicitly portrayed as suspecting the parents – a distrust that we are encouraged to share. 

Yet, in the next episode, the rug appears to be pulled away, though it would be a spoiler to reveal exactly how. Suffice it to say that beneath the glossy production values – endless languid shots of the Praia da Luz resort start to feel inappropriate given the subject matter – Smith has stooped to the tawdriest bait and switch. The only intention is keeping us glued.  

More than 40 individuals were reportedly interviewed but, for the most part, it is the same parade of talking heads. Gamble pops up repeatedly, as do Looking For Madeleine authors Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan and former Sun editor Kelvin MacKenzie. Later we are introduced to Brian Kennedy, the double-glazing millionaire swooping in as the McCanns’s benefactor. The closest to a villain is Gonçalo Amara, the Portuguese police chief who wrote a self-justifying book pinning Madeleine’s fate on the McCanns. 

A bigger issue is sheer over-familiarity. Among Netflix’s international subscriber base the basic facts of the case may be fresh and gripping. To anyone who has lived with the story since 2007, the déjà-vu soon becomes exhausting.
And yet, there’s nothing else – no compelling theories, no new witnesses or evidence. The final episode dissolves into a gossipy hit-parade of weirdos, reprobates and spectres allegedly sighted in the vicinity of the McCanns’s apartment in the hours around Madeleine’s disappearance. However, there’s no substance – or even intelligent conjecture: the presumption, never stated out loud, is that child traffickers were probably responsible for the abduction. The closest to a concrete conclusion is Gamble’s belief that the truth about Madeleine will come out in his lifetime. Viewers may wish they had followed the example of the McCanns and steered clear. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/0/disappearance-madeleine-mccann-netflix-review-bloated-manipulative/

Well done Ed Power of the Daily Telegraph.

Saves any of us watching any of it.

But the point that remains that probably 90% of those who watch it will be reinforced in their belief that the abduction narrative is true.

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 15.03.19 20:41

The Guardian’s take:

The Disappearance of Madeleine McCann review – a moral failure

Lucy Mangan  Fri 15 Mar 2019 13.44 GMT

Netflix’s long-awaited documentary on the McCann case offered no new facts, no new insight – it didn’t even have a point of view

Rumours of difficulties with Netflix’s documentary about the Madeleine McCann case have abounded almost from the moment it was commissioned. The McCanns themselves refused to take part and asked everyone around them not to either. At one point, it was said that it was going to be cut from an eight-part series to an hour-long one-off. Then it was going to be pulled altogether. Certainly no previews were made available, and the makers did not do the usual round of pre-show publicity interviews in the press, which is never a sign of great confidence in the product.

But in the end, The Disappearance of Madeleine McCannlanded as a full eight-part series. Was it worth the wait? Did it confound the rumours and the doubters? No and no, not by any conceivable metric.

It was a simple retelling – in what felt almost like real time, so leadenly was it done – of the story of the three-year-old’s disappearance from the holiday resort of Praia da Luz one terrible night in May 2007. It was a blatant cash-in on the vogue for the true-crime series that have become a staple of Netflix’s output since the success of Making a Murderera few years ago, but without any of the justifications previous works in the genre have provided. It was not the disinterment of a forgotten case, it was not the re-examination of a suspected miscarriage of justice. It offered no new facts, no new insight. It didn’t even have a point of view.

Instead, it was purely a rehashing of everything anyone who was alive at the time, or who has been of an age to understand the periodic appeals on anniversaries, birthdays and other painful dates by the McCanns for more information in the 12 years that have elapsed since, already knew. The vanishing, the panic, the initial horror and the delayed police response take up most of the first episode, and we move on from there through the searches that yield nothing, the growing media attention, the breakdown of trust between Kate and Gerry and the Portuguese police, the tenuous identification of a suspect, the sniffer dogs that throw suspicion on the parents, the magazine article that suggested a pact of silence between the McCanns and the friends they were holidaying with over the “fact” that Madeleine died in an accident while they were eating at the resort’s tapas bar 100 yards away and that they disposed of the body, on through all possible sightings, connections with other cases, the books later written, the agendas served, the legal suits that followed, and so on. All cul-de-sacs, all pointless recapping of parts of a story that still has no end.
All of it was padded out with extraneous guff – the history of the Algarve as a holiday resort, accounts from journalists of how they rushed to get to the story and then their breathless accounts of waiting for and not getting any news … The talking heads were frequently drowned out by the sound of barrel-bottoms being scraped.

It’s a feat of sorts, I suppose, to create something so morally and creatively bankrupt that your viewers would gain more insight into your case if they were to sit alone in a darkened room for 10 minutes to try to fathom the depths of parental anguish then, now and for the more than a decade in between. When the urge came upon the makers to put this series together, they should have done the same. They should have spent their time wondering how the McCanns bear it, sent up a heartfelt and useless prayer that somehow, some time, answers for that suffering pair are found and that they are allowed to live out the rest of their days in either joy or, at the very least, the kind of terrible peace that comes with knowing the worst.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/mar/15/disappearance-madeleine-mccann-netflix-review-moral-failure
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.03.19 20:53

Dannz wrote:

That doesn’t strictly follow. It is possible, for example, that after reporting this to Leicestershire Police on 20 September, the Smiths were coerced or bribed in some way.

I have to agree that coercion or bribery are possibilities. Blackmail should not be ruled out either.

The best explanation we have been able to come up with on this forum is that Martin Smith's conduct can be explained by some kind of a sense of loyalry or obligation to Robert Murat. Martin Smith's comments on how well he knew Robert Murat have been somewhat evasive and contradictory. One comment refers distinctly to 'several meetings' for at  least 'two years'. What were those meetings about?

Moreover, this theory best explains why he and his family said nothing to anyone about their sighting until hours after Robert Murat, whom Martin Smith knew, had been made a formal suspect in the case.

Going deeper into the case, evidence has emerged that after Madeleine McCann was reported missing, two distinct 'camps' emerged: on one side, the McCanns, their Tapas 7 friends and their advisers...on the other, Robert Murat and his circle of relatives, friends and contacts. The McCann team, and their secret service advisers, put Murat in the frame as the abductor and as someone who had behaved suspiciously. Robert Murat hit back by accusing them of lying.  

Further support for this theory is gained by the fact that members of both teams met at a high-level summit meeting on 13 November 2013 at the home of Robert Murat's aunt and uncle in Portugal. The McCanns were represented by Cheshire multi-millionaire Brian Kennedy and leading Lancashire Freemason Edward Smethurst.

After this crucial meeting, peace suddenly broke out between the two warring sides.

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 15.03.19 22:38

Anyone see Clarrie on tv news today at six.   The parents want nothing to do with it as it could hinder the on going police investigation blah blah.  They were asked several times to get involved.  Same old same old.

I also saw a headline that said Netflix had unearthed pictures of Maddie boarding the plane to go to Portugal.

Unearthed?  Been widely available online for years.  

Don't think I will bother with this Netflix film.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl 15.03.19 22:43

Any photographs of Madeleine would belong to the McCanns, surely Netflix would need their permission to use them?  If not, couldn't the McCanns kick up a fuss?  Furthermore, if there was a genuine police
search for a missing child they could request at the very least, that the release date of the film be postponed.
sharonl
sharonl
Forum Owner

Activity : 11192

http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top