The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as many of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - a spy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - a spy?

Post by loopzdaloop on 26.11.17 21:19

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is an Iranian citizen who has broken Iranian law - however there has been an unheard of amount of publicity for her. 

A brief history is here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4649924/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-british-iran-jail-prison-boris-johnson/ 

Who is Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe?

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is a British-Iranian mum, a project manager with the Thomson Reuters Foundation – the charitable arm of the news agency – and a former BBC employee.
She was arrested in Tehran on April 3, 2016, and accused of plotting to topple the regime.
Nazanin was stopped from returning to Britain after visiting family with her daughter Gabriella, now three, and thrown into prison, where she spent months in solitary confinement.
Her family says Iran’s Revolutionary Guard tried to get her to confess on camera that she trained and recruited spies - a charge she denied.

Why is the mum in jail?

Nazanin was convicted of plotting the "soft toppling" of the Iranian government and sentenced to five years behind bars.
She was set to become eligible for early release in late 2017 or early 2018 but was hauled back to court and confronted with two new charges that could see 16 years added to her sentence.
She was accused of joining and receiving money from organisations working to overthrow the Islamic Republic.
Iran says Nazanin’s former employer, the BBC, is trying to topple the Islamic theocracy.
She is also accused of protesting outside the Iranian embassy in London.
The 38-year-old now faces the possibility of her time behind bars being doubled, after Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson told authorities she was “teaching journalism”.
Now fears are growing for her mental wellbeing, as reports emerge Nazanin is "suicidal"as she awaits sentencing.
The mum is just one of several dual nationals held in Iran on espionage charges, likely to be used as bargaining chips in future negotiations with the West.
A UN panel of experts recently described the practice as part of an "emerging pattern" since the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.

On November 24, Nazanin’s husband said she will appear in court in December on charges of creating propaganda against the state in a new case that could double her five-year sentence.
The latest charges are said to have been raised after the Foreign Secretary's "teaching journalism" gaffe.
Johnson's comments were viewed by the Iranian judiciary as proof of her guilt, reports The Times.
Nazanin had been warned about the new case in a court session on November 4 but the family hoped that the charges would be dropped.
A deputy prosecutor in Evin prison in Tehran had since informed her that the trial would go ahead, her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, told The Times.
The new case dashes hopes she would be granted early release after serving 14 months of her initial five-year sentence.
Her husband said: "She was told that she is going to be taken to court on December 10.
“We were hoping the case would disappear. She is angry and bewildered about what is going on.
“She said she thought she was going to be able to come home for Christmas."
In the past few months she has been struggling with a scare after painful lumps were found in her breasts, though yesterday her husband said that doctors had ruled out cancer.

What has Boris Johnson said?

In November 2017, Boris Johnson vowed to phone his Iranian counterpart over fears that he made comments which could lead to Nazanin's sentence being doubled.
The Foreign Secretary said the British-Iranian was "teaching journalism" during her visit to the country before she was arrested — but her family insists she was visiting family.
Her defence has been that she was merely visiting relatives on holiday with her then 18-month-old daughter.
Iran’s judiciary claims Boris Johnson’s “confession” has “voided” the UK government’s case
Boris has since apologised for his remarks.
He said: “It was my mistake, I should have been clearer and I apologise for the distress and anguish caused to Mrs Zaghari Ratcliffe and her family.
“I have apologised not just for the mistake but the way it was taken and any extra suffering and anguish my words have caused.”
He told MPs the UK government had "no doubt" she was on holiday when she was arrested
He said he did not believe his comments had "had any impact on the judicial process" in Iran.

What has Michael Gove said?

The Environment Secretary Michael Gove was criticised for failing to explicitly say Nazanin was on holiday in Iran.
Appearing on the Andrew Marr Show on 12 November 2017, he was asked what she had been doing in the country.
Mr Gove replied: "I don't know", adding there was "no reason Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe should be in prison in Iran so far as any of us know".
He also said he would "take her husband's assurance" that she was on holiday.
Defending Boris Johnson, Mr Gove added: "We make a big mistake if we think the right thing to do is to blame politicians in a democracy who are trying to do the right thing for the plight of a woman who is being imprisoned by a regime that is a serial abuser of human rights.
"Who is in the dock here? Iran. It should be the actions of their judiciary and the revolutionary guards."

What happened to Nazanin’s husband and daughter?

Nazanin’s husband Richard Ratcliffe, an accountant who lives in North London, was not with her when she was arrested, and has been campaigning for her release ever since.
He has called on the Government to do more to secure his wife’s freedom and set up a petition last year demanding action that has now received nearly one million signatures.
Richard blasted the latest charges by Iran, dismissing them as “games” that make the country “look foolish” and bring its legal system into disrepute.
He said Boris had done a "good thing" in clarifying his comments, and asked him to try to visit his wife in Iran.
He also begged Boris to take him to Iran so he could see his family - the regime in Teheran has refused to issue the campaigning accountant with a visa.
The couple's daughter Gabriella is being cared for in Tehran by her grandparents after the tot's passport was initially confiscated.
Richard said he hoped his wife and daughter can return home before Christmas.

Elements in the media were in uproar because Boris Johnson confirmed what the Iranian's arrested Nazanin for - namely training journalists. This was a 'lie' we were told by Labour politicians - yet Boris Johnson stayed mysteriously quiet. 

Today, the Iranian media have released proof that she was there for training journalists. 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5118213/Iran-airs-allegations-against-detained-British-woman.html

There have been many irregularities
*misinformation about Naz's personal health
*Naz dragging her child into it - pretending she was visiting Iran for 'personal' / 'family' reasons
*Richard (her husband, with differing employment job titles) campaigning for Labour MP Tulip Siddiq in the recent election and using his wife's name for political purposes. 
*The mysterious nature about why she was actually there.
*No internet footprint for Naz or Richard except from the media stories.

The way Richard presents himself on the media is strange as is the high amount of media attention.
A video is here: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/video-husband-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-says-verge-nervous-breakdown/

Then there was an article on the guardian saying that Naz might be given 'diplomatic protection' 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/13/jailed-briton-iran-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-uk-ministers-muddy-situation?CMP=share_btn_tw

It leads me to question if either Richard or his wife Naz is actually a spy.

What are peoples thoughts about this story?
loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe - a spy?

Post by Tony Bennett on 26.11.17 22:40

@loopzdaloop wrote:Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is an Iranian citizen who has broken Iranian law - however there has been an unheard of amount of publicity for her. 

A brief history is here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4649924/nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-british-iran-jail-prison-boris-johnson/ 

Who is Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe?

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is a British-Iranian mum, a project manager with the Thomson Reuters Foundation – the charitable arm of the news agency – and a former BBC employee.
She was arrested in Tehran on April 3, 2016, and accused of plotting to topple the regime.
Nazanin was stopped from returning to Britain after visiting family with her daughter Gabriella, now three, and thrown into prison, where she spent months in solitary confinement.
Her family says Iran’s Revolutionary Guard tried to get her to confess on camera that she trained and recruited spies - a charge she denied.

Why is the mum in jail?

Nazanin was convicted of plotting the "soft toppling" of the Iranian government and sentenced to five years behind bars.
She was set to become eligible for early release in late 2017 or early 2018 but was hauled back to court and confronted with two new charges that could see 16 years added to her sentence.
She was accused of joining and receiving money from organisations working to overthrow the Islamic Republic.
Iran says Nazanin’s former employer, the BBC, is trying to topple the Islamic theocracy.
She is also accused of protesting outside the Iranian embassy in London.
The 38-year-old now faces the possibility of her time behind bars being doubled, after Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson told authorities she was “teaching journalism”.
Now fears are growing for her mental wellbeing, as reports emerge Nazanin is "suicidal"as she awaits sentencing.
The mum is just one of several dual nationals held in Iran on espionage charges, likely to be used as bargaining chips in future negotiations with the West.
A UN panel of experts recently described the practice as part of an "emerging pattern" since the 2015 Iran nuclear deal.

On November 24, Nazanin’s husband said she will appear in court in December on charges of creating propaganda against the state in a new case that could double her five-year sentence.
The latest charges are said to have been raised after the Foreign Secretary's "teaching journalism" gaffe.
Johnson's comments were viewed by the Iranian judiciary as proof of her guilt, reports The Times.
Nazanin had been warned about the new case in a court session on November 4 but the family hoped that the charges would be dropped.
A deputy prosecutor in Evin prison in Tehran had since informed her that the trial would go ahead, her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, told The Times.
The new case dashes hopes she would be granted early release after serving 14 months of her initial five-year sentence.
Her husband said: "She was told that she is going to be taken to court on December 10.
“We were hoping the case would disappear. She is angry and bewildered about what is going on.
“She said she thought she was going to be able to come home for Christmas."
In the past few months she has been struggling with a scare after painful lumps were found in her breasts, though yesterday her husband said that doctors had ruled out cancer.

What has Boris Johnson said?

In November 2017, Boris Johnson vowed to phone his Iranian counterpart over fears that he made comments which could lead to Nazanin's sentence being doubled.
The Foreign Secretary said the British-Iranian was "teaching journalism" during her visit to the country before she was arrested — but her family insists she was visiting family.
Her defence has been that she was merely visiting relatives on holiday with her then 18-month-old daughter.
Iran’s judiciary claims Boris Johnson’s “confession” has “voided” the UK government’s case
Boris has since apologised for his remarks.
He said: “It was my mistake, I should have been clearer and I apologise for the distress and anguish caused to Mrs Zaghari Ratcliffe and her family.
“I have apologised not just for the mistake but the way it was taken and any extra suffering and anguish my words have caused.”
He told MPs the UK government had "no doubt" she was on holiday when she was arrested
He said he did not believe his comments had "had any impact on the judicial process" in Iran.

What has Michael Gove said?

The Environment Secretary Michael Gove was criticised for failing to explicitly say Nazanin was on holiday in Iran.
Appearing on the Andrew Marr Show on 12 November 2017, he was asked what she had been doing in the country.
Mr Gove replied: "I don't know", adding there was "no reason Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe should be in prison in Iran so far as any of us know".
He also said he would "take her husband's assurance" that she was on holiday.
Defending Boris Johnson, Mr Gove added: "We make a big mistake if we think the right thing to do is to blame politicians in a democracy who are trying to do the right thing for the plight of a woman who is being imprisoned by a regime that is a serial abuser of human rights.
"Who is in the dock here? Iran. It should be the actions of their judiciary and the revolutionary guards."

What happened to Nazanin’s husband and daughter?

Nazanin’s husband Richard Ratcliffe, an accountant who lives in North London, was not with her when she was arrested, and has been campaigning for her release ever since.
He has called on the Government to do more to secure his wife’s freedom and set up a petition last year demanding action that has now received nearly one million signatures.
Richard blasted the latest charges by Iran, dismissing them as “games” that make the country “look foolish” and bring its legal system into disrepute.
He said Boris had done a "good thing" in clarifying his comments, and asked him to try to visit his wife in Iran.
He also begged Boris to take him to Iran so he could see his family - the regime in Teheran has refused to issue the campaigning accountant with a visa.
The couple's daughter Gabriella is being cared for in Tehran by her grandparents after the tot's passport was initially confiscated.
Richard said he hoped his wife and daughter can return home before Christmas.

Elements in the media were in uproar because Boris Johnson confirmed what the Iranian's arrested Nazanin for - namely training journalists. This was a 'lie' we were told by Labour politicians - yet Boris Johnson stayed mysteriously quiet. 

Today, the Iranian media have released proof that she was there for training journalists. 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5118213/Iran-airs-allegations-against-detained-British-woman.html

There have been many irregularities
*misinformation about Naz's personal health
*Naz dragging her child into it - pretending she was visiting Iran for 'personal' / 'family' reasons
*Richard (her husband, with differing employment job titles) campaigning for Labour MP Tulip Siddiq in the recent election and using his wife's name for political purposes. 
*The mysterious nature about why she was actually there.
*No internet footprint for Naz or Richard except from the media stories.

The way Richard presents himself on the media is strange as is the high amount of media attention.
A video is here: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/video-husband-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-says-verge-nervous-breakdown/

Then there was an article on the guardian saying that Naz might be given 'diplomatic protection' 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/13/jailed-briton-iran-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-uk-ministers-muddy-situation?CMP=share_btn_tw

It leads me to question if either Richard or his wife Naz is actually a spy.

What are peoples thoughts about this story?
@ loopzdaloop  -  Good post, and welcome back.

I have been suspicious about the Nazanin story from the start (as in the Madeleine McCann case) and have been following it intently.

I do not think she is a spy but I read somewhere that she had connections with the ex-pat opposition to the Iran regime and if that is the case, that will be why the Iranian government has taken action. There is an active Iran Opposition movement in London.

I have noted how her story has been built on some half-truths. I didn't know about the Labour Party connection which is vey interesting. 

Boris Johnson is a major target for those trying to build the EU superstate and for our undemocratic Remain-supporting political elite. He made the right judgment call in backing Brexit and is hated for it, especially as his street campaigning was so energetic and successful. Any excuse to 'bash Boris'.

That said, one hopes for the family's sake that mercy and common sense might prevail, even in Iran.

Out with the Ayatollahs! Bring back the Shah of Persia.

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" - Paul's first letter to his disciple Timothy,  1 Timothy 1 v 15

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Dean on 27.11.17 21:57

I haven't been following this story until now so I have some catching up to do. 
Loopzdaloop, I'm curious about the lack of Internet footprint other than the current story. I have found Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe on 192.com (as at 2013) but strangely her husband isn't there.
Amy Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loopzdaloop on 27.11.17 22:59

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@loopzdaloop wrote:Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe 
@ loopzdaloop  -  Good post, and welcome back.

I have been suspicious about the Nazanin story from the start (as in the Madeleine McCann case) and have been following it intently.

I do not think she is a spy but I read somewhere that she had connections with the ex-pat opposition to the Iran regime and if that is the case, that will be why the Iranian government has taken action. There is an active Iran Opposition movement in London.

I have noted how her story has been built on some half-truths. I didn't know about the Labour Party connection which is vey interesting. 

Boris Johnson is a major target for those trying to build the EU superstate and for our undemocratic Remain-supporting political elite. He made the right judgment call in backing Brexit and is hated for it, especially as his street campaigning was so energetic and successful. Any excuse to 'bash Boris'.

That said, one hopes for the family's sake that mercy and common sense might prevail, even in Iran.

Out with the Ayatollahs! Bring back the Shah of Persia.

Thank you Tony. Like you, when I first heard it - I had the same feeling as when hearing the Mccann's story. 
Something just didn't sit right, but I wasn't engaged fully with it. Now the more that I see about this case, the more aspects of it neither sit or sound right. I wasn't aware that she had connections with ex-pat opposition groups to the Iran regime, but that would make sense. The silence of Boris suggested something really strange was going on. 
I've also been following the spycops court case which opens up another avenue as to whether such an ex-pat opposition group would have been infiltrated by undercover police officers and if they would have any role in this.  
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/21/undercover-police-abuse-public-inquiry-cover-up

To Amy Dean: 
That's interesting that her 'husband' isn't listed at that address on 192. 

They married in Winchester in 2009, which made a Nanzanin a dual British-Iranian national, and their daughter was born in 2014. Meanwhile, Richard's career thrived and he became an auditor in the City.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5060069/Tortured-girl-prays-ll-Christmas.html#ixzz4zfwKV2I3 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I've searched online for Mrs Zaghari Ratfliffe and her husband Richard Ratcliffe - but have been unable to find much about their previous lives or backgrounds. On occasion it is claimed he is an accountant and above it says a 'city auditor but he is someone always talking about how he appears, how the media reports things or the PR Strategy of Iran. The video in the first post is a good example but so is the following article.
https://www.iranhumanrights.org/2017/10/husband-zaghari-ratcliffes-jobs-and-britishness-exaggerated-to-use-her-as-bargaining-chip/

Husband: Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s Jobs and Britishness “Exaggerated” to Use Her as “Bargaining Chip”

[size=16]Iranian judicial officials are misrepresenting Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe’s past jobs and her British citizenship to persuade the UK government to negotiate with the Iranian government for her release, her husband, Richard Ratcliffe, told the Center for Human Rights in Iran (CHRI). 
“He [the Tehran prosecutor] emphasized that she has a British husband, that she is British-Iranian and worked for the BBC—that big British institution—and kind of suggested that the British government needs to do something,” he said.
“The reason they are bringing up the BBC instead of Reuters is to emphasize her Britishness in a way that is quite different than before,” said Ratcliffe. “It is a different strategy now.”
Speaking at a gathering of assistant prosecutors on October 17, 2017, Tehran Prosecutor Abbas Jafari Dowlatabadi claimed the imprisoned dual national directed “propaganda activities” against Iran.
“Her husband is a British citizen and she has British and Iranian citizenship as well, and she worked for that country’s government,” he said. “She was in charge of teaching online journalism at the BBC’s Persian service with the objective of attracting and training individuals for propaganda activities against Iran.”
“They were taught how to use anonymous email services and sophisticated passwords and encryption software to hide information,” added Dowlatabadi. “The instructors for these classes included Mehdi Yahyanejad, the webmaster of Balatarin; Ardavan Roozbeh, the director of Radio Koocheh, and Mahmoud Enayat, the director of Small Media.”
Ratcliffe told CHRI that Dowlatabadi’s claims were “inaccurate.”
“She worked as a project assistant for BBC Media Action, which is a charity part of the organization,” he said. “So she wasn’t a big manager. She was just an assistant.”
The director of the BBC World Service, Frances Unsworth, stated in January 2017 that Zaghari-Ratcliffe never worked for BBC Farsi, and never ran or directed any program at the BBC.
In a statement issued on October 18, 2017, the FreeNazanin Campaign responded to a claim by Dowlatabadi that Zaghari-Ratcliffe had received a letter from former UK Prime Minister David Cameron.
“…[S]he has never received a letter from David Cameron, though she has received an election leaflet addressed to her from him previously,” said the statement. “Her husband did request David Cameron to intercede on Nazanin’s case following the presentation of a petition of half a million signatures to Downing St in May 2016. He is grateful he did.”
A researcher for the Thomson Reuters Foundation in London, Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested in Tehran in April 2016 while waiting for a flight back home with her two-year-old daughter after visiting family. She is serving a five-year prison sentence on unspecified espionage charges.
[/size]

They are a mysterious couple & haven't appeared on the usual areas of the internet you might expect. Which fits with the claims by Iran that they knew how to hide their web presence.  

The photos of them all too including on this site all look professional like they were taken for the media. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/heartbroken-husbands-pain-spending-wedding-8609983
loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum