The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend could be spared jail 'because of her extraordinary talent

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend could be spared jail 'because of her extraordinary talent

Post by Doug D on 16.05.17 20:11

‘A source said that her ambition had been to cure heart disease, and added that she had come top of her year in the pre-clinical tests that all Oxford medical students take at the end of their third year.’

Well that’s alright then!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/oxford-student-spared-jail-extraordinary-talent/

·        Olivia Rudgard, social and religious affairs correspondent 

16 MAY 2017 • 12:52PM

An Oxford University student could be spared jail after a judge said she had an "extraordinary" talent for medicine.

Lavinia Woodward, 24, who studied at Christ Church College, Oxford, stabbed her Cambridge-educated boyfriend in the leg on December 30 last year following a row. 

The pair had a drink and drug-fuelled argument, and Woodward punched and swiped at the victim with a bread knife.

She then stabbed the man before hurling a laptop, glass and a jam jar at him.

Prosecutor Cathy Olliver said Woodward met her ex-boyfriend on Tinder.

The pair had a row, and when he threatened to call Woodward’s mother, his then-girlfriend punched him before picking up a bread knife and stabbing him in the leg.

The victim, believed to be a PhD student at Cambridge University, had begun dating Woodward earlier in the term after they met on dating app Tinder. 

She admitted a charge of unlawful wounding at Oxford Crown Court and Judge Ian Pringle said the offence would normally mean a custodial sentence.

But he then deferred sentencing for a period of four months and hinted that she would not be jailed - because of her ''extraordinary'' talent.

He said: "It seems to me that if this was a one-off, a complete one-off, to prevent this extraordinarily able young lady from not following her long-held desire to enter the profession she wishes to, would be a sentence which would be too severe.

"What you did will never, I know, leave you but it was pretty awful, and normally it would attract a custodial sentence, whether it is immediate or suspended."

The court was told her college will allow her to return to in October because she "is that bright" and has had articles published in medical journals.

However, she is unlikely to be able to become a surgeon as her criminal conviction would have to be disclosed, said Jim Sturman QC, defending. 

Woodward's name appears on articles published in medical journals including the Annals of Thoracic Surgery, Hypertension, and The Journal of Physiology. 

A source said that her ambition had been to cure heart disease, and added that she had come top of her year in the pre-clinical tests that all Oxford medical students take at the end of their third year. 

According to her Facebook page she attended Sir James Henderson British School of Milan, a £16,000-a-year international school in the Italian city. 

She left the school in 2011 and began her degree at Oxford in the same year. 

She had had a "very troubled life” and had been abused by another former partner, her defence lawyer told the court.

Woodward, who was present in court for the sentencing hearing, is currently believed to be on holiday in Barbados. She is set to return to the university for the next academic year.

After the case Mr Sturman said that Woodward had been making "every effort" to get her life back on track and added: "She has been seeing a counsellor. This is not a soft option - this is a judge giving her a fair chance to prove herself."
Woodward will be sentenced on September 25. She was given a restraining order, and told to stay drug-free and not to re-offend.

A spokesman for Christ Church College said: "I'm afraid that Christ Church does not comment on the circumstances of individual students."

Doug D

Back to top Go down

Re: Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend could be spared jail 'because of her extraordinary talent

Post by lj on 16.05.17 21:37

What a dangerous precedent. Who judges what is a "talent"? Gary Glitter has a talent, you could even say an extraordinary one. Same for Roman Polansky, although in his case until now that defense did not fly.

But then the world has gone nuts. An Haitian judge ruled that we cannot judge honor killings to be crimes, because that would affect the freedom of religion.
Children marriages are norm now, and I have no doubt that it won't be long that rape is not a crime anymore either. Yeah, let's cut some more clitorises.

Stop the world I wanna get off.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj

Back to top Go down

Re: Oxford student who stabbed boyfriend could be spared jail 'because of her extraordinary talent

Post by nglfi on 17.05.17 14:10

I would have said regardless of 'talent', a violent drug addict is perhaps not the right person to become a doctor. Then again, seems they let just about anyone do it nowadays......

nglfi

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 17.05.17 14:20

most of the trainee doctors I have know are at the vanguard of drug taking, more unusual if you didn't I'd think.

sar

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 17.05.17 16:23

The question is, who does Lavinia Woodward have connections to?
BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Post by sandancer on 17.05.17 18:02

Not " that bright " then if having a " drink and drug fuelled argument " results in her stabbing the boyfriend !

Milan 

Oxford 

Barbados .

Not your average run of the mill knife wielding  chav then ?

" Extraordinary talent " , " had articles published in medical journals " 

So that excuses her ? She commited the crime , she should " do the time "

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 19.05.17 12:23

Drink and drugs, stabbing her boyfriend and yet wont face any jail time.

I thought there was a new law where the penalty is up to 4 years in jail for possessing a knife let alone using it in a drink and drug fuelled rage.   Yet another example of one rule for one.......

Time for change in UK  it really is.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
Rolling Eyes

plebgate

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum