The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Mm11

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Mm11

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Regist10

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Empty Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by nglfi 05.03.17 10:35

Interesting thing - I just tried to post a comment on the Washington Post article, and used the same email that I have for this forum account. After going through the rigamorole of setting up an account just to post a comment, I found within the space of a few minutes that all comments have now disappeared and I am unable to post one. All I wanted to say is that the 'scientist' who wrote that article has based it on the assumption that because Portugal is a Mediterranean country, it therefore must have been hot, introducing a 20% maximum margin of error in the dogs. Leaving aside the fact that 80% success rate is still alarmingly high when you consider the dogs alerted ONLY to items belonging to the McCanns, the author has completely overlooked to mention what the weather was like when the searches took place. Does he/she know what the temperature was? Does he/she know at what temperature the dog's accuracy starts to taper off?
Just odd that I couldn't post anything.
nglfi

Activity : 866

Back to top Go down

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Empty Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Jill Havern 05.03.17 10:38

whatsupdoc wrote:It is brave of Pat Brown to be open but I have seen  cases on Youtube where people have been involved in car accidents the day before they were due to testify.

Phil Schneider was killed on the 3rd attempt. He was involved in the construction of deep underground military bases...the demolition expert who commented on Building 7 was killed in a car accident shortly after.

I think Brenda Leyland would have been alive today if it wasn't for the McCann case.
I saved many of BL's tweets en masse which were not evil as presented in the newspapers and also saved many tweets of the people who tweeted really evil things about what they would like to see happen to BL. I traced the convos to quite a few people, one IIRC, in tv news presentation .These were all Public tweets.

What about Dr. Kelly?

Please send those tweets to Tony Bennett in a private message if you'd be so kind as that's exactly what he's looking for to send with his letter.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 41061

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 05.03.17 10:41

Ref this research and introducing the heat factor into it to show that it could affect the dogs ability to alert correctly -  IIRC when Tia Sharp went missing it was one of the hottest summers on record in UK.

IIRC the dogs alerted in that case but because of "human error" their alert was dismissed and only when they alerted a second time was the gruesome discovery made.

Please someone correct me if I am remembering wrongly.

I hope Tony asks in any correspondence exactly what research these three psychologists carried out about weather temps in other cases before sending this so called research off for publication?

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 05.03.17 10:42

nglfi wrote:Interesting thing - I just tried to post a comment on the Washington Post article, and used the same email that I have for this forum account. After going through the rigamorole of setting up an account just to post a comment, I found within the space of a few minutes that all comments have now disappeared and I am unable to post one. All I wanted to say is that the 'scientist' who wrote that article has based it on the assumption that because Portugal is a Mediterranean country, it therefore must have been hot, introducing a 20% maximum margin of error in the dogs. Leaving aside the fact that 80% success rate is still alarmingly high when you consider the dogs alerted ONLY to items belonging to the McCanns, the author has completely overlooked to mention what the weather was like when the searches took place.  Does he/she know what the temperature was? Does he/she know at what temperature the dog's accuracy starts to taper off?
Just odd that I couldn't post anything.

I have exactly the same 'problem' if I try to post a comment on any newspaper site, in fact I've been banned from the Daily Mail because I mentioned the 'incredibly unreliable' deputy dawgs.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by whatsupdoc 05.03.17 10:52

Get'emGonçalo wrote:
whatsupdoc wrote:It is brave of Pat Brown to be open but I have seen  cases on Youtube where people have been involved in car accidents the day before they were due to testify.

Phil Schneider was killed on the 3rd attempt. He was involved in the construction of deep underground military bases...the demolition expert who commented on Building 7 was killed in a car accident shortly after.

I think Brenda Leyland would have been alive today if it wasn't for the McCann case.
I saved many of BL's tweets en masse which were not evil as presented in the newspapers and also saved many tweets of the people who tweeted really evil things about what they would like to see happen to BL. I traced the convos to quite a few people, one IIRC, in tv news presentation .These were all Public tweets.

What about Dr. Kelly?

Please send those tweets to Tony Bennett in a private message if you'd be so kind as that's exactly what he's looking for to send with his letter.

I'll save what I can onto some DVDs as I have a lot and post them to Tony. It's too much for me to upload.

I'm going out now but will get back to you when I have some details.
whatsupdoc
whatsupdoc

Activity : 953

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 05.03.17 12:12

The tracking dogs study about hot weather was to do with dogs "losing scent" outdoors.

Which is understandable.

Eddie and Keela didn't lose scent - far from it.

The psychologists are beating the dogs with the wrong stick.

Also having grabbed the wrong stick (deliberately imo) when the psychologists "introduced science" into their debates they didn't even introduce temperature ranges and the temperature in the ROOMS that Eddie and Keela were in.

It was irrelevant anyway.

Psychology is quackery.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 05.03.17 12:34

OK guys, you 'got me'!

My 'real' name isn't 'Jeanmonroe' it IS (drumroll)..............'Mrs Nosey Parker'!

Ta Dah!

Fair 'cop', i'll come quietly!
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 05.03.17 12:47

And my name isn't really Get'emGonçalo it is.....Jill Havern - exactly as it says in the url of this forum!

yes

I was very easy to find - just ask McCann supporter, MuratFan, who made blogs about me telling me, amongst other things, to put a pillow over my dying mother's face.

Here's one of his blogs http://tonybennettmfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard D. Hall 05.03.17 13:12

If you just take "The Sun" headlines, and compare them with the definition of a tweet from a "troll".  Then the Sun Newspaper surely is a troll.

Words are used to great effect in our highly manipulative culture.  The academics are authenticating a word that has sprung from the popular culture of the internet.  Instead of being real academics and impartially examining the phenomenon, then devising their own scientific words to define the phenomenon they measure, they steal words from pop culture that are ill defined and ambiguous and try and re-define them.  It really is cart before horse thinking.
Richard D. Hall
Richard D. Hall
Investigator

Activity : 274

http://www.madeleinefilms.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by tinkier 05.03.17 13:19

I found this article this morning, I have never seen it before. A journo putting his neck on the line sticking up for poor Brenda, clearly stating why Brenda wasn't a TROLL…it contains some of the very nasty tweets that were sent to Brenda.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html

by Daniel Falconer |  8 October 2014
Brenda Leyland was not a troll. At least not in the original sense of the word. An online troll is - or was - somebody who used the internet to cause annoyance to other online users using whatever means possible. They didn't even have to believe in what they were saying. So long as they were getting a reaction, it's job done for the internet's most common beast.
Brenda Leyland was a woman who seemed to firmly stand behind exactly what she had to say online, using her internet persona '@sweepyface'. She wasn't putting out these 'hateful' tweets or messages because she wanted to annoy, but rather because she thought that a serious miscarriage of justice had taken place at the expense of a young child, and she wanted things to be put right. Whether she is correct in what she believed is another matter entirely.

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Brenda-leyland-facebook
Brenda Leyland / C: Facebook

I am not an expert and not one to comment on the Madeleine McCann story. I have my own opinions which I keep mainly to myself, but that doesn't mean one day I won't want to share those opinions with other people. If I go on to do that and they don't meet the standard that others expect, do I become a troll? The term has almost become useless.
Urban Dictionary - the online world's collection of internet terms and lingo has 'troll' listed as meaning the following: "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument". In my view, this wasn't sweepyface's aim.
Not once did Brenda put out a message containing physical threats of violence, nor did she laugh at the McCann's expense. Through thousands of tweets she didn't even do so much as swear more than 20 times. She even went so far as to defend the family against those who did find humour in their situation - "so much laughing so little funny". By poking the hornet's nest so often and for so long, she did eventually see a breakthrough, though it wasn't one she had wanted. When Sky News reporter Martin Brunt began following her on Twitter, she sent out her final tweets before deleting the account altogether.
Now don't get me wrong, Brenda did get tangled in a whole lot of mud-slinging that could have found her up to her neck in legal issues if and when things were going to be taken further. Cases such as this one always involve murky water and if you're willing to go and wade into it via the web, I believe you should be willing to talk about it in person. She was a responsible and grown adult who knew what she was doing. Of this there is no denying.
Her actions meant that Martin Brunt turned up at Brenda's doorstep and repeatedly asked questions she didn't want to answer at that moment. She was taken by surprise. Repeating that she was going out with a friend and replying "No" when asked if Martin could speak to her about her Twitter account, she was followed right up to her car and the questions continued to come until she got into the vehicle. She later invited the team inside and is reported to have explained her reasoning for the tweets off-camera, hoping that she hadn't broken the law.
It was the Daily Mail who took the chance on October 2 to "unmask" Brenda - using her full name - as one of many 'trolls' who hurl "vile" abuse at the McCann family. Though they do make sure they include sentences that show what she did and didn't tweet, they tend to tar her with the same brush they're using against anonymous users who have threatened and even posted sexually explicit messages online about the family. Not enough is done to distinguish between Brenda's messages and those of others. This was also the date that the Sky News footage was aired.
A torrent of abuse was then hurled at Brenda - death threats, calls for her to be raped and abused, from supporters of the McCann family who were unhappy with her viewpoint. Will Scotland Yard be investigating these tweets? They have so far mostly gone unreported, despite being on a much larger scale of evil intent than Brenda's ever were.

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Sweepyface-abuse-following-media-outing-brenda-leyland

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Xtwitter-trolls-brenda-leyland-sweepyface.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7ESOqIaUS9

24 hours after the outing Gerry McCann made a call for examples to be made of internet 'trolls' who target the family, and he insisted police should up their game. Despite none of the McCann's being on social media or reading any of the comments, they were alerted to some of the abuse being posted online about their family. Three days later, on Saturday, October 4, Brenda Leyland was found dead in a hotel room in Leicestershire.
Back in November 2011, Gerry McCann had made a statement at the Leveson Inquiry insisting a system needed to be put into place to ensure normal people protection from media and the damage it can cause. At the Hacked Off conference last year, he stated the press took part in "an insatiable hunt for headlines combined with a total lack of respect for other people. The mentality that can turn a family's distress into cold, hard cash. Profit from misery." Now with the condemnation of Brenda Leyland being so intertwined with the McCann case, will he be making a statement about her treatment and what happened likely because of it?
Many are calling for a public inquiry into her death and the events that led up to it. Supporters have formed a Facebook group and believe that Brenda was unfairly singled out by the media and in publishing her face on such a mass scale as well as personal details, condemned her to her fate.
Ofcom have received a number of complaints over the way in which Sky News reported the story, but have not yet reached a view as to whether an investigation should take place.
In bringing all of this to the front of the media, groups that claim to want the truth about Maddie to be exposed on Facebook did initially see a small drop in members when the news first broke, but are now adding up to 200 extra people each day. These are people who hold some of or similar views to Brenda. The rise in members could be people also holding the same point of view, or simply members of Facebook who are intrigued. Either way, this exposé has done nothing but shine a stronger light on these sorts of groups - something the McCann family would never have wanted to happen.
A family is now without a member. Brenda's son has posted a short but sweet tribute through his own Twitter account, but anything further is yet to be said or done. A woman who had an opinion on one of the most talked about cases from the modern-generation has been penalised for speaking out in a public forum about those opinions. Something needs to change, and it needs to happen fast. There's always another Brenda case just around the corner.

Read more: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html#ixzz4aSRlTdvp
tinkier
tinkier

Activity : 411

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse 05.03.17 13:33

tinkier wrote:I found this article this morning, I have never seen it before. A journo putting his neck on the line sticking up for poor Brenda, clearly stating why Brenda wasn't a TROLL…it contains some of the very nasty tweets that were sent to Brenda.

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html

Brenda Leyland was not a troll. At least not in the original sense of the word. An online troll is - or was - somebody who used the internet to cause annoyance to other online users using whatever means possible. They didn't even have to believe in what they were saying. So long as they were getting a reaction, it's job done for the internet's most common beast.
Brenda Leyland was a woman who seemed to firmly stand behind exactly what she had to say online, using her internet persona '@sweepyface'. She wasn't putting out these 'hateful' tweets or messages because she wanted to annoy, but rather because she thought that a serious miscarriage of justice had taken place at the expense of a young child, and she wanted things to be put right. Whether she is correct in what she believed is another matter entirely.

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Brenda-leyland-facebook

I am not an expert and not one to comment on the Madeleine McCann story. I have my own opinions which I keep mainly to myself, but that doesn't mean one day I won't want to share those opinions with other people. If I go on to do that and they don't meet the standard that others expect, do I become a troll? The term has almost become useless.
Urban Dictionary - the online world's collection of internet terms and lingo has 'troll' listed as meaning the following: "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument". In my view, this wasn't sweepyface's aim.
Not once did Brenda put out a message containing physical threats of violence, nor did she laugh at the McCann's expense. Through thousands of tweets she didn't even do so much as swear more than 20 times. She even went so far as to defend the family against those who did find humour in their situation - "so much laughing so little funny". By poking the hornet's nest so often and for so long, she did eventually see a breakthrough, though it wasn't one she had wanted. When Sky News reporter Martin Brunt began following her on Twitter, she sent out her final tweets before deleting the account altogether.
Now don't get me wrong, Brenda did get tangled in a whole lot of mud-slinging that could have found her up to her neck in legal issues if and when things were going to be taken further. Cases such as this one always involve murky water and if you're willing to go and wade into it via the web, I believe you should be willing to talk about it in person. She was a responsible and grown adult who knew what she was doing. Of this there is no denying.
Her actions meant that Martin Brunt turned up at Brenda's doorstep and repeatedly asked questions she didn't want to answer at that moment. She was taken by surprise. Repeating that she was going out with a friend and replying "No" when asked if Martin could speak to her about her Twitter account, she was followed right up to her car and the questions continued to come until she got into the vehicle. She later invited the team inside and is reported to have explained her reasoning for the tweets off-camera, hoping that she hadn't broken the law.
It was the Daily Mail who took the chance on October 2 to "unmask" Brenda - using her full name - as one of many 'trolls' who hurl "vile" abuse at the McCann family. Though they do make sure they include sentences that show what she did and didn't tweet, they tend to tar her with the same brush they're using against anonymous users who have threatened and even posted sexually explicit messages online about the family. Not enough is done to distinguish between Brenda's messages and those of others. This was also the date that the Sky News footage was aired.
A torrent of abuse was then hurled at Brenda - death threats, calls for her to be raped and abused, from supporters of the McCann family who were unhappy with her viewpoint. Will Scotland Yard be investigating these tweets? They have so far mostly gone unreported, despite being on a much larger scale of evil intent than Brenda's ever were.

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Sweepyface-abuse-following-media-outing-brenda-leyland

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 Xtwitter-trolls-brenda-leyland-sweepyface.jpg.pagespeed.ic.7ESOqIaUS9

24 hours after the outing Gerry McCann made a call for examples to be made of internet 'trolls' who target the family, and he insisted police should up their game. Despite none of the McCann's being on social media or reading any of the comments, they were alerted to some of the abuse being posted online about their family. Three days later, on Saturday, October 4, Brenda Leyland was found dead in a hotel room in Leicestershire.
Back in November 2011, Gerry McCann had made a statement at the Leveson Inquiry insisting a system needed to be put into place to ensure normal people protection from media and the damage it can cause. At the Hacked Off conference last year, he stated the press took part in "an insatiable hunt for headlines combined with a total lack of respect for other people. The mentality that can turn a family's distress into cold, hard cash. Profit from misery." Now with the condemnation of Brenda Leyland being so intertwined with the McCann case, will he be making a statement about her treatment and what happened likely because of it?
Many are calling for a public inquiry into her death and the events that led up to it. Supporters have formed a Facebook group and believe that Brenda was unfairly singled out by the media and in publishing her face on such a mass scale as well as personal details, condemned her to her fate.
Ofcom have received a number of complaints over the way in which Sky News reported the story, but have not yet reached a view as to whether an investigation should take place.
In bringing all of this to the front of the media, groups that claim to want the truth about Maddie to be exposed on Facebook did initially see a small drop in members when the news first broke, but are now adding up to 200 extra people each day. These are people who hold some of or similar views to Brenda. The rise in members could be people also holding the same point of view, or simply members of Facebook who are intrigued. Either way, this exposé has done nothing but shine a stronger light on these sorts of groups - something the McCann family would never have wanted to happen.
A family is now without a member. Brenda's son has posted a short but sweet tribute through his own Twitter account, but anything further is yet to be said or done. A woman who had an opinion on one of the most talked about cases from the modern-generation has been penalised for speaking out in a public forum about those opinions. Something needs to change, and it needs to happen fast. There's always another Brenda case just around the corner.

Read more: http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/womens-issues/brenda-leyland-wasnt-troll-didnt-deserve-die-544755.html#ixzz4aSRlTdvp

Thank you @Tinkier
It was said at the time that these tweeters who harassed Brenda would be investigated by the police, we are still waiting!
The Coroner initially said that Martin Brunt had to reveal his source, ( i.e. her name,address etc) she then changed it to he did not have to reveal his source? Outrageous! 
Those that "pushed" Brenda to flee her home need to be held accountable, like this article states there is "always another Brenda case just around the corner". No one, not one person who holds an opinion about the disappearance of Madeleine should be put into that place of "fear"................It still saddens me to this day that a Mother trying to get some form of justice for a little girl was actually hounded to death! 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html
MayMuse

Activity : 3472

Back to top Go down

Post by Grande Finale 07.03.17 14:42

More details re the pseudoscience.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/huddersfield-researchers-look-twitter-trolls-12698818

It's a shame that Synnott didn't apply his earlier work to the Mccann case

detecting lies and secrets of the guilty

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/analysis/detecting-lies-and-secrets-of-the-guilty-1-6150950
Grande Finale
Grande Finale

Activity : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.03.17 15:07

Grande Finale wrote:More details re the pseudoscience.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-yorkshire-news/huddersfield-researchers-look-twitter-trolls-12698818

It's a shame that Synnott didn't apply his earlier work to the Mccann case

detecting lies and secrets of the guilty

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/analysis/detecting-lies-and-secrets-of-the-guilty-1-6150950
Thanks for joining our 'anti-social network'!  spin
Interestingly, one of the tabloids did offer to pay for the McCanns to have a polygraph lie detector test but they declined. Another thing they did to feed the Trolls!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.03.17 15:42

Those malicious tweets, full of bile aimed at sweepyface. I would not be suprise if someone told me that person who wrote such psyhopathic venom was a major suspects sister.
If you read them to yourself with a Scottish accent it jumps right out at you. Well, it did me anyway.
And the line where they mention a "campaign against the McCann FAMILY" is a bit of a giveway. Not against the McCanns but against the McCann FAMILY. Kind of explains the strength of the vitriol, Only somebody VERY closely connected would have such spite.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.03.17 15:50

JimbobJones wrote:Those malicious tweets, full of bile aimed at sweepyface. I would not be suprise if someone told me that person who wrote such psyhopathic venom was a major suspects sister.
If you read them to yourself with a Scottish accent it jumps right out at you. Well, it did me anyway.
And the line where they mention a "campaign against the McCann FAMILY" is a bit of a giveway. Not against the McCanns but against the McCann FAMILY. Kind of explains the strength of the vitriol, Only somebody VERY closely connected would have such spite.
Not necessarily.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Waynetta 07.03.17 16:34

Did these so called psychologists bash out a white paper on the 
fact a pair of Doctors left 3 kids alone and one disappeared?

I wonder if the verdict came in as 'Normal.

Activity : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.03.17 16:45

MayMuse wrote:
tinkier wrote:I found this article this morning, I have never seen it before. A journo putting his neck on the line sticking up for poor Brenda, clearly stating why Brenda wasn't a TROLL…it contains some of the very nasty tweets that were sent to Brenda.

Thank you @Tinkier
It was said at the time that these tweeters who harassed Brenda would be investigated by the police, we are still waiting!
The Coroner initially said that Martin Brunt had to reveal his source, ( i.e. her name,address etc) she then changed it to he did not have to reveal his source? Outrageous! 
Those that "pushed" Brenda to flee her home need to be held accountable, like this article states there is "always another Brenda case just around the corner". No one, not one person who holds an opinion about the disappearance of Madeleine should be put into that place of "fear"................It still saddens me to this day that a Mother trying to get some form of justice for a little girl was actually hounded to death! 

SaveSave

SaveSave
Really thoughtful, measured article - thanks for sharing it.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 15.03.17 11:36

UPDATE

The letter I promised to write to the Academic Board at Huddersfield and Dr John Synott etc. is still in draft, sorry I've not completed it yet.

I don't know how many members and guests here spotted this, the very last sentence in Syott's paper research paper:

What remains clear, however, is the damaging impact the McCann trolls’ behaviour has had on those victimised, both online and offline, necessitating the continuation of research exploring the way in which aggressive forms of trolling materialise, so that we might consequently establish ways in which to effectively deal with them.

Is it just me, or is there a hint of menace there?

Elsewhere in their paper is a demand that Twitter be forced by law to identify tweeters; Twitter should identify tweeters by name not username, says Synott.

For me the stand-out issue with their research paper is their premise:

Doubting the McCanns = BAD = TROLL

Supporting the McCanns = GOOD.

Another issue is the extent to which this research paper has been making headlines in the media and in respectable scientific papers. Given the extremely poor quality of the research, which my letter will address, it is extraordinary what publicity his article has had - in the British mainstream press and even in the Washington Post (!).

I wonder if the Katie Hopkins tweet case might also be part of a concerted effort behind the scenes to clamp down on the internet in general and Twitter in particular?

In that case, Katie Hopkins made an unwise tweet. The victim undoubtedly received some abuse. Katie Hopkins apologised and made amends within hours.

The libel court handed the victim £24,000. Is that not excessive? A person maimed for life as the result of a crime of violence gets less than that from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

Finally, Synott's paper says nothing about going on to research 'pro-McCann trolls'. But in one of the recent newspaper articles, he was quoted as saying that he was going to. I think he has said that because he is well aware now how dodgy and biased his research project was.

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxyroo 15.03.17 14:18

Get'emGonçalo wrote:And my name isn't really Get'emGonçalo it is.....Jill Havern - exactly as it says in the url of this forum!

yes

I was very easy to find - just ask McCann supporter, MuratFan, who made blogs about me telling me, amongst other things, to put a pillow over my dying mother's face.

Here's one of his blogs http://tonybennettmfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

I am so sorry you had to suffer these horrible things being said to u Jill, when i.m sure you just want Justice fr Madeleine, like the rest of us. I want Justice AGAINST Mitchell too.
To say that kind of thing to someone about their mother just shows you the mentality of some of these pro's.
Thanku fr all your tireless work on this case.
roses

Activity : 727

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 15.03.17 20:57

Thanks for update Tony.

So there is to be continuing research into trolling so as to find a way to effectively deal with them?

That was before you were on the case.  We shall see.  Go Tony Go. YAY.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by 23 Librae 15.03.17 22:14

I have just looked over this paper again, it is cringeworthy. In paragraph 1.1 The case of Madeleine McCann, the author begins by stating
“To put the research aim into context, it is first necessary to consider some of the events surrounding Madeleine’s abduction and the subsequent investigation into her disappearance. On May the 3rd 2007 three-year-old Madeleine was taken from a holiday resort in Praia da Luz, Portugal”

So straight away before the research has even started there is an assumption of abduction. The same paragraph then ends with the sentence “Despite these allegations, the McCanns were never formally charged, and as such, are considered innocent.”

I am a newcomer here but even I can see how badly written this paper is. Did these researchers actually do any research? It seems to me like the have started out with their results in mind and then set out to find them. Very scientific and objective NOT.

It is the funding that I am wondering about

This is a copy and paste of what is on the Elsevier website:

Role of the funding source
You are requested to identify who provided financial support for the conduct of the research and/or preparation of the article and to briefly describe the role of the sponsor(s), if any, in study design; in the collection, analysis and interpretation of data; in the writing of the report; and in the decision to submit the article for publication. If the funding source(s) had no such involvement then this should be stated.
Please note that such information should appear in the 'Acknowledgements' section.

I didn’t notice any ‘Acknowledgements’ in that paper.

One good thing though, no other journal article has cited this ‘research’ yet.
23 Librae
23 Librae

Activity : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM 16.03.17 9:28

23 Librae said "It is the funding that I am wondering about

This is a copy and paste of what is on the Elsevier website:"

I could be wrong but this is written by someone doing postgraduate research for a phd.  So it isn't funded by anyone, it's their thesis to get their doctorate.   

What sticks out for me is that this person did a thesis on 'trolls' in 2016 and just happened to come up with a conclusion in the paper that mirrors Gerry McCann's own words in a 2014 interview about trolls!    

It looks like the student has paraphrased Gerry's words but does not reference them. So who gave the student this idea for research?  How did that co-incidence come about?  Did someone steer this student's research and conclusion?
ChippyM

Activity : 1817

Back to top Go down

Post by 23 Librae 16.03.17 9:38

Ah I see, PhD research? People write better researched undergraduate dissertations.
23 Librae
23 Librae

Activity : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM 16.03.17 9:47

Tony Bennett wrote:UPDATE

The letter I promised to write to the Academic Board at Huddersfield and Dr John Synott etc. is still in draft, sorry I've not completed it yet.

I don't know how many members and guests here spotted this, the very last sentence in Syott's paper research paper:

What remains clear, however, is the damaging impact the McCann trolls’ behaviour has had on those victimised, both online and offline, necessitating the continuation of research exploring the way in which aggressive forms of trolling materialise, so that we might consequently establish ways in which to effectively deal with them.

..........snipped...........

This is the bit that echoes Gerry's words in 2014.   He uses the word damage. Damage vs. damaging,  'deal with them'....vs. 'make examples of'   It's pretty much the same thing isn't it?  

“I’m glad to see the law around this area is being reviewed, but I do think we need to make examples of people who are causing damage.”

“I think some of the internet trolling is fuelled partly by the newspaper reporting. If it was more responsible I think we would have less of the former,” McCann said.''

This conclusion about the media was also reached by the 'researcher'!  What are the chances  thinking

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/03/gerry-mccann-calls-example-made-vile-internet-trolls
ChippyM

Activity : 1817

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt 16.03.17 10:17

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured' - Page 6 YH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7

Here are a few snippets about the science magazine Nature:

Sir Philip Henry Montgomery Campbell takes direct editorial responsibility for the content of Nature's editorials.  In 1999 he was awarded an honorary Doctor of Science degree by the University of Leicester

Controversies

When Paul Lauterbur and Peter Mansfield won a Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for research initially rejected by Nature and published only after Lauterbur appealed the rejection, Nature acknowledged more of its own missteps in rejecting papers in an editorial titled, "Coping with Peer Rejection":

[T]here are unarguable faux pas in our history. These include the rejection of Cherenkov radiation, Hideki Yukawa's meson, work on photosynthesis by Johann Deisenhofer, Robert Huber and Hartmut Michel, and the initial rejection (but eventual acceptance) of Stephen Hawking's black-hole radiation.[28]

From 2000–2001, a series of five fraudulent papers by Jan Hendrik Schön was published in Nature. The papers, about semiconductors, were revealed to contain falsified data and other scientific fraud. In 2003, Nature retracted the papers. The Schön scandal was not limited to Nature; other prominent journals, such as Science and Physical Review, also retracted papers by Schön.[29]

In 2007, Nature Publishing Group began publishing Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics, the official journal of the American Society of Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics and Molecular Therapy, the American Society of Gene Therapy's official journal, as well as the International Society for Microbial Ecology (ISME) Journal. Nature Publishing Group launched Nature Photonics in 2007 and Nature Geoscience in 2008. Nature Chemistry published its first issue in April 2009.

Nature Publishing Group actively supports the self-archiving process and in 2002 was one of the first publishers to allow authors to post their contributions on their personal websites, by requesting an exclusive licence to publish, rather than requiring authors to transfer copyright.

Here is a link to further reading on the Nature magazine:

[size=16]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature_(journal) [/size]
sallypelt

Activity : 5319

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top