The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Tony Bennett on 18.02.17 8:48

What is claimed to be a 'scientific' study of anti-McCann trolls on Twitter by three psychiatrists is circulating the internet. Details below. Looking at the abuse and foul language on the #McCann hashtag by both 'Antis' and 'Pros', they presented an all-too-easy target for the three shrinks   

Internet trolls cannot be cured

A STUDY OF ANTI-MCCANN TROLLS ON TWITTER, REPORTED ON ‘SCIENCE DIRECT’

By Nick Farrell

[ About Nick Farrell – here >>  http://mandrake.uk.net/nick-farrell/ ]

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/42890-internet-trolls-cannot-be-cured

Researchers find not feeding them does not kill them

A team of brave boffins have been investigating internet trolls and reached the conclusion that there is no cure.

The team looked at a specific bunch of trolls who like to swap notes about the abduction of three-year-old Madeleine McCann from her family’s holiday villa in Portugal.

Most of the trolls are focused on insulting McCann’s parents, celebrating their daughter’s disappearance and gloating over their misery.

The team of shrinks bashed out a paper called Online Trolling , where they tried to engage with this troll community, to study their attitudes and behaviour, and to work out what makes them tick.

Once the goal of their study was exposed by others in the anti-McCann community, “you need better English to do a PHD luv!” was among the politer messages sent in response to questions from “the psychology student studying trolls”.

The comments became even more toxic when the scientists tried to introduce some science into the debate. One of the psychologists posted a reference to an academic paper showing that tracking dogs might have made mistakes in finding a body because of the hot weather.

The trolls became more insulting and started attacking on the researcher’s motive, labelling them a “shill” and blocking them when they tried to steer conversations back to the findings.

The researchers discovered that the trolls has identified key phrases that act as calling cards and draw activity. In this study, the word ‘shill’ implying that the researcher was paid by the McCann family to protect its reputation was a red rag, and led to more and more trolls circling the discussion and piling in.

The paper shows trolls have some powerful psychology at play. One theme of the anti-McCann messages is motherhood and how the trolls argue that they would have behaved differently, both before and after the abduction.

This is “disassociation” and arises from an irrational belief that parents who explicitly distance themselves from the plight of the McCann family somehow keep their own children safer.

Although most of the trolls argued that they were fighting for justice, the researchers conclude that this was thin cover for being able to hurl insults anonymously.

Most of the abusive and offensive messages sent and received were against the rules of the social-media provider, yet no action was taken. Saying ‘do not feed the trolls’ does not work as they are cultural scavengers who feast on alternative facts and false news already in the system, the report said.

=========================================================

Science Direct

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563217300614

Computers in Human Behavior
Volume 71, June 2017, Pages 70–78

Online trolling: The case of Madeleine McCann
John Synnott, Andria Coulias, Maria Ioannou

Full length article
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.01.053Get rights and content

Highlights

Case study analysis of Anti-McCann internet Trolling Group.
The role of language, group identity and in group cohesion is examined.
Language is central to Anti-McCann group in the construction of identity.
Several strategies were employed by Anti-McCanns to provoke outsiders.
Support for previous research linking trolling to western media culture and ASPD.

Abstract

Despite the sustained media attention surrounding internet trolling, academic studies investigating its occurrence are rare. This study aimed to provide a case study analysis of the behaviours and strategies of a group of alleged Twitter trolls referred to as the anti-McCanns due to their continual abuse of Kate and Gerry McCann as well as those who support them and thus identify as pro-McCann.

The way in which language was used to construct the anti-McCanns group identity, enhance in-group cohesion and facilitate out-group disassociation from the pro-Mccann group was additionally explored, given that previous research has implicated group processes in the propagation of aggressive online conduct. A multi-method approach involving a combination of ethnographic observations and the collection of online commentary was employed.

The data was then analysed using quantitative content analysis and discourse analysis, which indicated that language was utilised in a variety of ways by the anti-McCanns to construct a salient group identity and negatively stereotype and disassociate from the pro-McCann group. Findings additionally revealed that several strategies were employed by the anti-McCann trolls to provoke and derogate members of the pro-McCann group, supporting previous findings which have linked trolling to both western media culture and the characteristics of anti-social personality disorder. The implications of these findings both theoretical and practical are discussed, alongside recommendations for future research.

Keywords:  Online trolling; Online abuse; Missing persons; Social media; Cyber psychology


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

____________________


2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’
                        

avatar
Tony Bennett

Posts : 14616
Reputation : 2773
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Shropshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by ChippyM on 18.02.17 9:00

'Dissasociation' by believing you would have kept your kids safer? I don't know a single person that has ever left their kids alone like they said they did!

ChippyM

Posts : 1261
Reputation : 409
Join date : 2013-06-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by littonlad on 18.02.17 9:06

laughat Don't read the article till you've read this.

[ About Nick Farrell – here >>  http://mandrake.uk.net/nick-farrell/ ]


Boffins?
avatar
littonlad

Posts : 10
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2017-01-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by nglfi on 18.02.17 9:34

The definition of troll seems to have widened so much it has ceased to have any sort of meaning. I understood it to mean a person who deliberately goads and taunts another online (although not exclusively online), purely to harm and upset the other. In other words, bullying. I have never seen any such behaviour on this forum. Indeed, it seems impossible as I assume Kate and Gerry are not on this forum and as such can't have any attacks levelled directly at them (ie bullying them as individuals personally, rather than criticising their actions).
'Trolling' now seems to mean anybody who has an opinion about a person's actions or behaviour, a person who has voluntarily put themselves in the 'celebrity' spotlight. Are we not entitled to discuss issues of policing, politics, societal attitudes towards childcare etc? And in that remit discuss individuals who were NEVER CLEARED by the Portuguese police? I really don't see how this study can be intellectually rigorous enough since it fails to address the fact that, purely statistically and on the balance of probability, not to mention reams of circumstantial evidence, the McCanns are responsible in every sense for the fate of Madeleine.

nglfi

Posts : 429
Reputation : 168
Join date : 2014-01-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by ChippyM on 18.02.17 9:44

I agree nglfi, 'troll' is meaningless, just another way to label people and attempt to label their views as 'extreme' so therefore invalid.

If someone threatens someone online, fair enough that's wrong but if someone has a view you don't like....toughen up!

So a scientific paper uses the term 'alternative facts'....really? Top knotch science.  I also notice that Maria Ianoo - whatsit specialises in the study of 'missing persons' cases too. Of course all the 'trolls' views are crazy, she's an expert!


 " they are cultural scavengers who feast on alternative facts and false news already in the system, the report said"

ChippyM

Posts : 1261
Reputation : 409
Join date : 2013-06-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 9:57

"Someone needs to do something about trolling".

And they probably will.

It gets more like Stalinist Russia every day.
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Tony Bennett on 18.02.17 10:03

@ChippyM wrote:So a scientific paper uses the term 'alternative facts'....really? Top knotch science.  I also notice that Maria Ianoo - whatsit specialises in the study of 'missing persons' cases too. Of course all the 'trolls' views are crazy, she's an expert!
This would appear to be the biography of Maria Ioannou, who holds a senior positon at Huddersfield University. She is apparently a 'Forensic Psychologist' - so, not quite a 'shrink' - but nevertheless someone qualified to write a piece in a scientific journal about the beastly anti-McCann trolls - and get it discussed on the internet

https://www.hud.ac.uk/ourstaff/profile/index.php?staffid=682


EXTRACTS:


Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD, C.Psychol, CSci, AFBPsS, FHEA

Dr Maria Ioannou, is a Reader in Investigative and Forensic Psychology and Course Director for the MSc Investigative Psychology. She is a Chartered Forensic Psychologist (British Psychological Society) and a HCPC Registered Psychologist (Forensic). She joined Huddersfield University in 2009 as a Senior Lecturer.  Dr Ioannou obtained a first class undergraduate degree in Psychology, Philosophy and Pedagogics from the University of Ioannina, Greece in 2000. In 2001 she completed her MSc in Investigative Psychology at the University of Liverpool. Her dissertation was on the Criminal Narrative Experience focusing on the roles that offenders act out and the emotions they experience while they are committing their crimes. She developed this research for her PhD, which she completed in 2006.

Dr Ioannou has been involved in the assessment of intervention programmes for reducing/preventing crime for a range of different forms of criminality and groups of offenders. Typically these evaluations have required assessments of change/impact/influence of the interventions on individuals and their criminal behaviour as well as assessments of the overall programme itself. She has also contributed to consultancy reports and been involved in consultancy work with a range of police forces and other agencies such as the Safer Merseyside Partnership, Merseyside Police, Liverpool City Council, Lancashire Constabulary, the Ministry of Defence, the Irish Prison Service as well as in a number of legal cases that involved among others preparation of background material and investigative advice on Forensic Psycholinguistics/ Questioned Authorship Attribution, interpretation of psychological measures on a case of offender profiling with personality and other psychometric assessment and analysis of the psychological features indicated within personal documents.

--------------

Professional/institution memberships:


Fellow of The Higher Education Academy. Awarded March 2012

Chartered Psychologist (CPsychol Forensic), British Psychological Society (BPS). Awarded August 2008
European Registered Psychologist (EuroPsy), European Federation of Psychologists’ Associations (EFPA). Awarded June 2009
Registered Practitioner Psychologist, Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). Awarded July 2009
Chartered Scientist (CSci), British Psychological Society (BPS). Awarded June 2013
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (December 2011 - present)
Full Member of the Division of Forensic Psychology, British Psychological Society (August 2008 - present)
Full Associate of the International Academy of Investigative Psychology (July 2006 - present)Member Hellenic Psychological Society (ELPSE) (March 2009 - present)
Member of Society for Police and Criminal Psychology (May 2013 - present)
Member of European Association of Psychology and Law (May 2013 - present)
Associate, Centre for Investigative Psychology, University of Liverpool (September 2011 – present

Editorial roles:


Assistant Editor for the Journal of Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling (May 2000 - present).
Editor (with Dr Laura Hammond) of Special Edition of the Journal of Investigative Psychology
and Offender Profiling - The Dectection of Deception within Investigative Contexts (2015)
Editor (with Dr Laura Hammond) of Special Edition of the Journal of Criminal Psychology - Homicidal Behaviour (2015)
Book Reviews Editor for the Journal of Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling (December 2008 - December 2010).

Peer reviewing for:

Europe’s Journal of Psychology
Journal of Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling
Science and Justice
Journal of Criminal Psychology
Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology
Journal of Forensic Psychiatry and Psychology
Journal of Forensic Science and Criminology
International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Wiley
Taylor and Francis
Palgrave


Grants reviewed for:

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)

External examiner:



PhD: University of Liverpool, 2012
PhD: University of Liverpool, 2013
PhD: Cardiff Metropolitan University, 2015
MSc Degree Forensic Psychology and Criminal Investigation (online), Laureate Online
Education and University of Liverpool (September 2013 - present)

MSc Degree Investigative and Forensic Psychology, University of Liverpool (September 2014 - present)

Committee/group memberships:

Member of School Research and Ethics Panel (SREP), School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield (November 2014 - present)
Member of Steering Group, Secure Societies Institute, University of Huddersfield (November 2014 -present)
Member REF2021 School panel group, School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield (September 2015 - present)
Member School Research and Enterprise Committee (SREC), School of Human and Health Sciences, University of Huddersfield (February 2016 - present)
Board of Directors Yorkshire and Humber Fraud Forum (September 2015 - present)

Other external recognition:

Invited keynote speaker on Investigative Psychology and Offender Profiling, USA Air Force, USA Department of Defense, RAF Lakenheath (November 2015)
Visiting Lecturer, MSc Investigative and Forensic Psychology, University of Liverpool (2009 - present)
Visiting Lecturer, Forensic Psychology, Manchester Metropolitan University (2014 - present)Organised, co-organised and member of conference committees for at least 15 conferences
Delivered a variety of training courses/seminars/lectures to professionals (i.e. law enforcement personnel, academics, teachers, youth workers)
Delivered a variety of applied research, case reports and consultancy projects to police, government authorities, intervention agencies and other public bodies
Delivered guest lectures to colleges and universities

____________________


2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’
                        

avatar
Tony Bennett

Posts : 14616
Reputation : 2773
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Shropshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 10:03

The comments became even more toxic when the scientists tried to introduce some science into the debate. One of the psychologists posted a reference to an academic paper showing that tracking dogs might have made mistakes in finding a body because of the hot weather.
A gem!

Where is the science here?

I get why heat would affect scent and there would be less scent making it harder for the dogs to indicate.

But having indicated, were the dogs wrong?

All the dogs indications were indoors anyway (except one).
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 10:20

It costs $19.95

It was published in June 2017

Yeah that's right.

June 2017

Accuracy.. that's so yesterday.



I wonder how much real science is discussed about heat, Eddie and Keela or if it's just anecdotal?
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 10:25

Political abuse of psychiatry in the Soviet Union

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry_in_the_Soviet_Union

Using psychiatry as a weapon against dissidents is an old game.
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by ChippyM on 18.02.17 10:36

@BlueBag wrote:It costs $19.95

It was published in June 2017

Yeah that's right.

June 2017

Accuracy.. that's so yesterday.



I wonder how much real science is discussed about heat, Eddie and Keela or if it's just anecdotal?
 Maybe it's a pre - order thing and only the abstract is available so far.

I would be interested to know if the people involved declared any personal views that might bias them on the subject matter. I thought they were supposed to do that in a research paper?

ChippyM

Posts : 1261
Reputation : 409
Join date : 2013-06-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 10:40

I believe I have found the academic paper about dog tracking and hot weather.

http://www.scielo.org.za/pdf/hist/v59n2/14.pdf


 While Savory knew that scent tracking dogs had been used by British forces in Kenya, his experience with them in the Game Department and professional hunting informed his decision to exclude them from the TCU. Dogs made noise that would warn an enemy, they obliterated spoor, they lost scent in hot weather, and they required food and water. 

If this is the "science" that was introduced BY A PSYCHIATRIST then they probably need to see a psychiatrist.

This has no bearing on Eddie and Keela. None whatsoever.

I want to know who funded their "research".
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 10:54

John Synnott published the paper on Huddersfield University servers  - 9th February 2017.



A coincidental timing with the flack emanating from Portuguese Supreme Court ruling I'm sure.
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Tony Bennett on 18.02.17 11:04

@ ChippyM posted: 
 
@BlueBag wrote:It costs $19.95

It was published in June 2017

Yeah that's right.

June 2017

Accuracy.. that's so yesterday.

I wonder how much real science is discussed about heat, Eddie and Keela or if it's just anecdotal?
 Maybe it's a pre-order thing and only the abstract is available so far.

ChippyM replied:  I would be interested to know if the people involved declared any personal views that might bias them on the subject matter. I thought they were supposed to do that in a research paper?
I am very glad that these issues have been picked up by members this morning, it's one of the reasons I posted up the article and the abstract.

Somehow it smacks of someone trawling the internet to find any possible doubt about the findings of Eddie & Keela. 

It would be totally dishonest of these three scientific reearchers not to have discussed the findings of the 'scientist' who studied blood spoor tracks in Africa not to have put his findings to Martin Grime, acknowledged as one of the world's top dog experts - and something of a scientist himself, given that the dogs' research is based on scientific knowledge about scents, and that the results of his dogs' findings have frequently and rigorously been put to emorical testign.

Then there is the issue of why the three researchers chose 'anti-McCanns' as their special subject of study, when thousands of other Twitter #hashtags contain equally abusive and insulting exchanges on a whole variety of subjects?

Given that one poster upthread said that Maria Ioannou had a special interest in 'missing people', could there be a connection between any of the three researchers to any 'missing person' organisation or group, or even, somehow, to the McCann Team?

Moreover, did they assume as a fact, before embarking on their research, that Madeleine had been abducted?

If they did, should they now reconsider that assumption in the light of the Portuguese Supreme Court ruling that the McCanns have NOT been 'cleared'?  

These and other questions should be forcibly put to the three authors, to the publishers of the full article, and to the academic institutions which employ them.

____________________


2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’
                        

avatar
Tony Bennett

Posts : 14616
Reputation : 2773
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Shropshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by ChippyM on 18.02.17 11:14

@BlueBag wrote:I believe I have found the academic paper about dog tracking and hot weather.

http://www.scielo.org.za/pdf/hist/v59n2/14.pdf


 While Savory knew that scent tracking dogs had been used by British forces in Kenya, his experience with them in the Game Department and professional hunting informed his decision to exclude them from the TCU. Dogs made noise that would warn an enemy, they obliterated spoor, they lost scent in hot weather, and they required food and water. 

If this is the "science" that was introduced BY A PSYCHIATRIST then they probably need to see a psychiatrist.

This has no bearing on Eddie and Keela. None whatsoever.

I want to know who funded their "research".

Mmm yes. Hunting dogs losing the scent of live animals, completely relevant! And why couldn't they simply observe the 'trolls' impartially instead of joining them?

As Tony said, it would be interesting to find out if these people have any prior vested interest in the case.

ChippyM

Posts : 1261
Reputation : 409
Join date : 2013-06-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Tony Bennett on 18.02.17 11:25

@BlueBag wrote:John Synnott published the paper on Huddersfield University servers  - 9th February 2017.



A coincidental timing with the flack emanating from Portuguese Supreme Court ruling I'm sure.


Yes, but it seems that unless you are a member of the 'Repository Staff', you cannot get to see this paper until 27 January 2019! >>  "Restricted to Repository staff only until 27 January 2019".

------

Online trolling the case of Madeleine McCann

Tools
Tools
Tools
RDF+XML BibTeX RIOXX2 XML RDF+N-Triples JSON RefWorks Dublin Core Simple Metadata Refer METS HTML Citation ASCII Citation OpenURL ContextObject EndNote OpenURL ContextObject in Span MODS MPEG-21 DIDL EP3 XML Reference Manager RDF+N3 Multiline CSV  







Synnott, John, Coulias, Andria and Ioannou, Maria (2017) Online trolling the case of Madeleine McCann. Computers in Human Behavior, 71. pp. 70-78. ISSN 0747-5632
[url=http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/31051/1/Authors Copy Online Trolling the Case of Madeleine McCann.docx][/url]Microsoft Word   - Accepted Version
Restricted to Repository staff only  
[url=http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/31051/1/Authors Copy Online Trolling the Case of Madeleine McCann.docx]Download (66kB)[/url]
[url=http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/31051/3/Authors Copy Online Trolling the Case of Madeleine McCann.pdf][/url]PDF   - Accepted Version
Restricted to Repository staff only until 27 January 2019.  
[url=http://eprints.hud.ac.uk/31051/3/Authors Copy Online Trolling the Case of Madeleine McCann.pdf]Download (396kB)[/url]
Official URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.01.053
DOI: 10.1016/j.chb.2017.01.053
 
---------------------

It is most peculiar.

Here we have an abstract (summary) of the paper being published and freely circulating the internet.

It tends to brand all 'anti-McCanns' as 'trolls' and condemns them for either needing psychiatric intervention or being 'beyond help'. It appears to be based on the 'fact' that Madeleine was abducted and includes some junk science.

Yet the only ways you can get to examine the article appear to be either to pay $19.95 plus carriage and postage costs from an American supplier - or wait until 27 January 2019 when the restriction on it being available to 'Repository Members Only' is lifted!

____________________


2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’
                        

avatar
Tony Bennett

Posts : 14616
Reputation : 2773
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Shropshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 11:32

Perhaps the authors could come to this forum and engage in scientific, rational debate.

That would be interesting.
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by JRP on 18.02.17 11:39

I'm not a troll. Are you a troll? We're not trolls here. We just don't believe the McCanns abduction story.

JRP

Posts : 403
Reputation : 358
Join date : 2016-03-07
Age : 59
Location : UK

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 11:40

And anyway... psychiatry is not a science it's quackery.

And that's not just me saying it... it's an old debate.

Freud and Jung were charlatans... discuss.. and write an academic paper about it... or something...
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by BlueBag on 18.02.17 11:42

@JRP wrote:I'm not a troll. Are you a troll? We're not trolls here. We just don't believe the McCanns abduction story.

The great thing about this forum is it's ability to spot trolls.

Critical thinking rules the roost.

Can we invite the psychiatrists to debate?
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4191
Reputation : 2000
Join date : 2014-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by sallypelt on 18.02.17 11:47

@Tony Bennett wrote:What is claimed to be a 'scientific' study of anti-McCann trolls on Twitter by three psychiatrists is circulating the internet. Details below. Looking at the abuse and foul language on the #McCann hashtag by both 'Antis' and 'Pros', they presented an all-too-easy target for the three shrinks   

Internet trolls cannot be cured

A STUDY OF ANTI-MCCANN TROLLS ON TWITTER, REPORTED ON ‘SCIENCE DIRECT’

By Nick Farrell

[ About Nick Farrell – here >>  http://mandrake.uk.net/nick-farrell/ ]

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/42890-internet-trolls-cannot-be-cured

Researchers find not feeding them does not kill them

A team of brave boffins have been investigating internet trolls and reached the conclusion that there is no cure.

The team looked at a specific bunch of trolls who like to swap notes about the abduction of three-year-old Madeleine McCann from her family’s holiday villa in Portugal.

Most of the trolls are focused on insulting McCann’s parents, celebrating their daughter’s disappearance and gloating over their misery.

The team of shrinks bashed out a paper called Online Trolling , where they tried to engage with this troll community, to study their attitudes and behaviour, and to work out what makes them tick.

Once the goal of their study was exposed by others in the anti-McCann community, “you need better English to do a PHD luv!” was among the politer messages sent in response to questions from “the psychology student studying trolls”.

The comments became even more toxic when the scientists tried to introduce some science into the debate. One of the psychologists posted a reference to an academic paper showing that tracking dogs might have made mistakes in finding a body because of the hot weather.

The trolls became more insulting and started attacking on the researcher’s motive, labelling them a “shill” and blocking them when they tried to steer conversations back to the findings.

The researchers discovered that the trolls has identified key phrases that act as calling cards and draw activity. In this study, the word ‘shill’ implying that the researcher was paid by the McCann family to protect its reputation was a red rag, and led to more and more trolls circling the discussion and piling in.

The paper shows trolls have some powerful psychology at play. One theme of the anti-McCann messages is motherhood and how the trolls argue that they would have behaved differently, both before and after the abduction.

This is “disassociation” and arises from an irrational belief that parents who explicitly distance themselves from the plight of the McCann family somehow keep their own children safer.

Although most of the trolls argued that they were fighting for justice, the researchers conclude that this was thin cover for being able to hurl insults anonymously.

Most of the abusive and offensive messages sent and received were against the rules of the social-media provider, yet no action was taken. Saying ‘do not feed the trolls’ does not work as they are cultural scavengers who feast on alternative facts and false news already in the system, the report said.

=========================================================

Science Direct

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563217300614

Computers in Human Behavior
Volume 71, June 2017, Pages 70–78

Online trolling: The case of Madeleine McCann
John Synnott, Andria Coulias, Maria Ioannou

Full length article
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.01.053Get rights and content

Highlights

Case study analysis of Anti-McCann internet Trolling Group.
The role of language, group identity and in group cohesion is examined.
Language is central to Anti-McCann group in the construction of identity.
Several strategies were employed by Anti-McCanns to provoke outsiders.
Support for previous research linking trolling to western media culture and ASPD.

Abstract

Despite the sustained media attention surrounding internet trolling, academic studies investigating its occurrence are rare. This study aimed to provide a case study analysis of the behaviours and strategies of a group of alleged Twitter trolls referred to as the anti-McCanns due to their continual abuse of Kate and Gerry McCann as well as those who support them and thus identify as pro-McCann.

The way in which language was used to construct the anti-McCanns group identity, enhance in-group cohesion and facilitate out-group disassociation from the pro-Mccann group was additionally explored, given that previous research has implicated group processes in the propagation of aggressive online conduct. A multi-method approach involving a combination of ethnographic observations and the collection of online commentary was employed.

The data was then analysed using quantitative content analysis and discourse analysis, which indicated that language was utilised in a variety of ways by the anti-McCanns to construct a salient group identity and negatively stereotype and disassociate from the pro-McCann group. Findings additionally revealed that several strategies were employed by the anti-McCann trolls to provoke and derogate members of the pro-McCann group, supporting previous findings which have linked trolling to both western media culture and the characteristics of anti-social personality disorder. The implications of these findings both theoretical and practical are discussed, alongside recommendations for future research.

Keywords:  Online trolling; Online abuse; Missing persons; Social media; Cyber psychology


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this the Dr John Synnott:


Dr John Synott  is a Chartered Psychologist, a Senior Lecturer and Assistant Course Director for the MSc Investigative Psychology. He joined Huddersfield University in 2013 on completion of his PhD. Dr Synnott obtained his undergraduate degree in Psychology from University College Dublin, Ireland in 2007, his dissertation, which has since been published was on positional effects in police line-ups. In 2009 he completed his MSc in Investigative Psychology at the University of Liverpool. His dissertation was on the strategic aspects of Armed Robbery. He developed aspects of this research for his PhD, which he completed in 2013. His PhD, entitled 'Why Crime Occurs Where It Does' took examples from Tiger Kidnap cases in both the Republic and the North of Ireland in addition to criminal mental maps and representation of offenders offending locations

sallypelt

Posts : 3591
Reputation : 771
Join date : 2012-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Tony Bennett on 18.02.17 12:19

@sallypelt wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:Is this the Dr John Synnott:


Dr John Synott  is a Chartered Psychologist, a Senior Lecturer and Assistant Course Director for the MSc Investigative Psychology. He joined Huddersfield University in 2013 on completion of his PhD. Dr Synnott obtained his undergraduate degree in Psychology from University College Dublin, Ireland in 2007, his dissertation, which has since been published was on positional effects in police line-ups. In 2009 he completed his MSc in Investigative Psychology at the University of Liverpool. His dissertation was on the strategic aspects of Armed Robbery. He developed aspects of this research for his PhD, which he completed in 2013. His PhD, entitled 'Why Crime Occurs Where It Does' took examples from Tiger Kidnap cases in both the Republic and the North of Ireland in addition to criminal mental maps and representation of offenders offending locations
Thank you @ sallypelt.

I have since discovered a probable connection between the McCann Team and the third researcher, Andria Coulias.

Assuming she is the one described on LinkedIn profile as 'A Student at Portsmouth University', in their Psychology Department, it is reasonable to assume that she will be in close contact with Dr Sharon Leal of the same University Department, whose main claim to fame was to use her psychologist's qualifications to publicly declare the McCanns '100% innocent' in a TV documentary ('The Lying Game', 7 January 2014) a few years back, produced by Shine TV: Link > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EyT-7Zi5HM

'Trust me, I'm a psychologist'.

I think we established at the time that Shine TV was owned by either Matthew Freud or Elisabeth Murdoch. See this thread:
https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t8843p140-the-lying-game-crimes-that-fooled-britain-tuesday-january-7th-2014-itv-at-900pm


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

____________________


2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’
                        

avatar
Tony Bennett

Posts : 14616
Reputation : 2773
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Shropshire

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Verdi on 18.02.17 13:09

This little fascinating project, wouldn't per chance be connected in some way to Alan Robert Pike of Skipton, Yorkshire, would it? A Clinical Partner & Trauma Consultant at The Centre for Crisis Psychology, a private Company which provides psychological care for traumatized individuals.  A Crisis Counsellor who holds an honours degree in Social Science. 

This personage was flown out to Praia da Luz on 4th May 2007, allegedly by Warners (although Skipton features elsewhere in this saga), to assist the McCanns.  During the court hearing in 2013, he said he was still in regular contact with the McCanns - in a professional capacity of course (snort!).

He who beared false witness when standing before the court during the McCann v. Amaral hearing at Lisbon.  He who tried to pass himself off as a psychologist but had to admit when robustly challenged that he wasn't.  In real speak he was/is in fact a social worker with very disturbing delusions of grandeur.

____________________
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made" - Groucho Marx
avatar
Verdi
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 5392
Reputation : 3196
Join date : 2015-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by lj on 18.02.17 13:54

@BlueBag wrote:It costs $19.95

It was published in June 2017

Yeah that's right.

June 2017

Accuracy.. that's so yesterday.



I wonder how much real science is discussed about heat, Eddie and Keela or if it's just anecdotal?

spit coffee

____________________
"And if Madeleine had hurt herself inside the apartment, why would that be our fault?"  Gerry

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
avatar
lj

Posts : 3314
Reputation : 188
Join date : 2009-12-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Three university forensic psychologists say > 'Anti-McCann Trolls Cannot be Cured'

Post by Tom Moore on 18.02.17 14:19

Most of these Twitter identities are McCann supporters trying to discredit all their critics, most famously RothleyPillow, currently calling himself @Bananamouze, who I believe is Bro. Phil Anderson, husband to Marie Anderson, an open supporter of the McCanns. See also @JillyCL, but the list is almost endless.

The whole business of distracting with accusations of mental disease is a standard Masonic.
avatar
Tom Moore

Posts : 11
Reputation : 3
Join date : 2015-10-07

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
McCanns apt & hire car


Blood and cadaver alerts
dismissed by UK Government


Retired DCI Gonçalo Amaral: "The English can always present the conclusions to which they themselves arrived in 2007. Because they know, they have the evidence of what happened - they don't need to investigate anything. All this is now a mere 'show off'."

Retired murder DCI Colin Sutton: "I would also like to make the point that Operation Grange was so restricted from the start as to be destined to fail."

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley made public on national TV that Operation Grange is a complete fraud.

Ex-DCI Andy Redwood had a "revelation moment" on BBC's Crimewatch on 14th October 2013 when he announced that Operation Grange had eliminated the Tanner sighting - which opened up the 'window of opportunity', in accordance with their remit, to allow the fake abduction to happen.

Despite "irrelevant behaviour" from blood and cadaver dogs in the McCann's apartment, on Kate McCann's clothes, and in the car they hired three weeks after Maddie disappeared, Ex-Chief Inspector, Ian Horrocks, said: "The thought that Kate and Gerry McCann had anything to do with the death of their daughter is frankly preposterous."

Gerry McCann called for example to be made of 'trolls'. SKY News reporter Martin Brunt doorstepped Brenda Leyland on 2 October 2014. She was then found dead in a Leicester hotel room. Brenda paid the price. She paid with her life.

Ex-Deputy Chief Constable, Jim Gamble QPM, congratulated SKY reporter, Martin Brunt, on twitter for doorstepping Brenda Leyland on behalf of Gerry McCann.

Prime Minister Theresa May introduces Prime Suspect Kate McCann to Royalty: The Duchess of Gloucester.

Good Cop Down: The reality of being a police whistleblower
https://goodcopdown.wordpress.com/