The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Aberfan Remembered

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Aberfan Remembered

Post by sallypelt on 21.10.16 11:21

I thought I would start a new thread to remember those who lost their lives in the "Aberfan Disaster" of 1966. I was young at the time, but I can remember, like it was yesterday, when my dad's friend came to our home and asked my dad if he would go to Aberfan to help with the rescue. At the time, as one can imagine, there were far more volunteer helpers there than was needed, and despite their good intentions, got in the way of the rescue. However, my dad said to his friend that if he came across a child's body, he wouldn't be able to live with it, so he declined.

Despite it being 50 years ago, and me, being rather young at the time, the memory is as vivid as the day it happened. I remember the Tonight Programme, with Cliff Mitchelmore. CM was crying as he was commentating from Aberfan. That black and white footage  of that Tonight programme is as clear in my mind, today, as it was 50 years ago, when I was watching it live.

RIP little angels. You will NEVER be forgotten!

sallypelt

Back to top Go down

Re: Aberfan Remembered

Post by jeanmonroe on 21.10.16 11:38

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

As the stars that shall be bright when we are dust,
Moving in marches upon the heavenly plain,
As the stars that are starry in the time of our darkness,
To the end, to the end, they remain.

jeanmonroe

Back to top Go down

Re; Aberfan Remembered

Post by willowthewisp on 21.10.16 13:51

Hi Jeanmonroe,Sallypelt,I watched the BBC Aberfan program earlier this Week about this Tragic Event,the program gave an insight into the despicable conduct of National Coal Board and the way they behaved at the Public Inquiry?
For Each child that had lost their life,the Coal Board paid £500 in compensation at the time of the tragedy,now I do not know what that would equate to in today's terms,but I do not think that £500 could ever replace/compensate for the loss of so many innocent people.
£1.5 Million pounds was raised by people from around the World at the time of Aberfan and the"steadfast Government" used£250,000 of the Donations to undertake the removal of the Coal Waste Slag heaps,that the NCB had placed their?
It cost the UK taxpayer millions of Pounds to pay back the initial £250,000 via the Welsh Office payments,to make up for the earlier"Government Decisions" in regard to their behaviour?The  abusing of Donations to the "Aberfan Fund",at least Mr Edwards did not hold back on how certain person's behaved at the Aberfan Public Inquiry,Well done Mr Edwards and the BBC for showing this program,I urge people to watch this program,as it shows at least some people where "Honourable"in memory to the Deaths of so many people.

willowthewisp

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 21.10.16 15:25

@willowthewisp wrote:Hi Jeanmonroe,Sallypelt,I watched the BBC Aberfan program earlier this Week about this Tragic Event,the program gave an insight into the despicable conduct of National Coal Board and the way they behaved at the Public Inquiry?
For Each child that had lost their life,the Coal Board paid £500 in compensation at the time of the tragedy,now I do not know what that would equate to in today's terms,but I do not think that £500 could ever replace/compensate for the loss of so many innocent people.
£1.5 Million pounds was raised by people from around the World at the time of Aberfan and the"steadfast Government" used£250,000 of the Donations to undertake the removal of the Coal Waste Slag heaps,that the NCB had placed their?
It cost the UK taxpayer millions of Pounds to pay back the initial £250,000 via the Welsh Office payments,to make up for the earlier"Government Decisions" in regard to their behaviour?The  abusing of Donations to the "Aberfan Fund",at least Mr Edwards did not hold back on how certain person's behaved at the Aberfan Public Inquiry,Well done Mr Edwards and the BBC for showing this program,I urge people to watch this program,as it shows at least some people where "Honourable"in memory to the Deaths of so many people.

Yes, Willow, the Coal Board left people speechless. There aren't any words to describe the members of the Board. As you say, the Coal Board places the slag heaps there, but the people of Aberfan had to use a lot of the donated money to have the tips removed. However, in all fairness to the elected Labour Party in 1997, the government gave back the money to the people of Aberfan, but only the original amount, with no inflation or interest taken into consideration. As you can imagine, what was a huge sum in 1966 was almost pocket money by 1997.

sallypelt

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 23.10.16 13:24

jeanmonroe

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum