The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as many of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016*** (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators)

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: ***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016*** (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators)

Post by Verdi on 12.10.16 11:50

@MayMuse wrote:
@MayMuse wrote:Long article from 2009 giving family background information & surrounding Bens disappearance, their struggle, Gordon Brown non-help, the white car etc. etc.  Worth the time to read. 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/mar/29/missing-child-ben-needham

@verdi I posted the same article on the 3rd for background info, much has been taken from the early documentaries like the lost boy.
So you did @MayMuse, I must have missed it.  No matter - no harm done.

I often see things I've previously written or sourced repeated, par for the course I feel.  Still better a second third fourth airing than no airing at all. 

Meanwhile the show must go on..

Ben Needham cops sift through 800 tons of rubble in hunt for missing toddler

12th October 2016 - 4 hours ago  By Andy Lines

Detective Inspector Jon Cousins said he was "pleased" with the progress of the investigation

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-needham-cops-sift-through-9028043

----------

I've got echos ringing in my head of ex-DCI Andy Redwood saying the exact same thing when digging up the area around the Ocean Club, Praia da Luz.  I am presuming the 'progress' refers to the amount of work undertaken as opposed to any progress in discovering the fate of Ben Needham.

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: ***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016*** (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators)

Post by Tony Bennett on 12.10.16 11:51

One of the things that was meant to impress us all about Operation Grange was the endless procession of statistics.

Lines of enquiry followed - hundreds
Documents studied - tens of thousands
Suspects questioned - dozens
Known paedophiles checked - hundreds
Mobile 'phone records checked - tens of thousands
Recorded witness interviews carried out - hundreds
Police officers digging for clues on a waste site - dozens
Trips to Portugal - dozens...

...and so on.

Today in the Ben Needham case we have these tweets:

Duncan Wood ‏@ duncanwooditv 2h2 hours ago
Apologies for sound problem on #BenNeedham briefing. Latest 800 tonnes of soil and rubble have been searched through from 2 sites in 16 days

Andy Lines ‏@ andylines 3h3 hours ago
Volunteers have put in 800 hours of work and British cops 1700 hours plus on this part of investigation alone. #BenNeedham

Andy Lines ‏@ andylines 4h4 hours ago
An incredible 800 tons of soil and rubble has been sifted through by investigators in #BenNeedham inquiry. Nothing major found.

Is a police officer there fully occupied counting the number of tios of rubble removed, and how many hours each volunteer is on site? 

Every day that goes by this media circus looks ever more like the Operation Grange circus

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" - Paul's first letter to his disciple Timothy,  1 Timothy 1 v 15

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 12.10.16 12:44

Take one ten ton dumper truck.

Fill with rubble to guesstimated maximum capacity - to the nearest ton.

Do not overfill or do not underfill.

Pack firmly to avoid spillage en-route.

On arrival at destination, carefully tip rubble onto allocated sterile site discarding any overflow that might become cross-contaminated with something un-sterile.

Repeate operation x eighty.

Brief search team.

Allocate search team - one ton of rubble per person, also responsible for documenting rubble search.

Leave no rubble unturned.

Et voila - 800 ton of rubble done and dusted.

There's gold in them there 'ills....

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 12.10.16 13:22

@Verdi wrote:Take one ten ton dumper truck.

Fill with rubble to guesstimated maximum capacity - to the nearest ton.

Do not overfill or do not underfill.

Pack firmly to avoid spillage en-route.

On arrival at destination, carefully tip rubble onto allocated sterile site discarding any overflow that might become cross-contaminated with something un-sterile.

Repeate operation x eighty.

Brief search team.

Allocate search team - one ton of rubble per person, also responsible for documenting rubble search.

Leave no rubble unturned.

Et voila - 800 ton of rubble done and dusted.

There's gold in them there 'ills....
Make sure not to cover rubble with a tarpaulin and allow dust to blow freely into the atmosphere even though it may contain the remains of a child.

Make sure that rubble is visible to Press cameras.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 13.10.16 15:21

I see Lucy Lastic is back on the job with her compatriot Andy Lines..

Ben Needham investigators have found more human remains - but none of them are the toddler's

A total of ten dead bodies have been found in the olive grove on Kos - but it's believed they all date back to the Roman era

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-needham-investigators-found-more-9034512

Well, I guess if you dig up an area considered to be of archaeological interest chances are you will discover a few bones and fragments of pottery. 

As with the years of media blitz connected with the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, I do wish these tabloids would give the child a name and stop referring to him/her as 'the toddler' - it's so impersonal and disrespectful to the child's memory.

NB:  I'm liking the snazzy forum re-vamp thumbup !

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 15.10.16 12:55

Ben Needham's grandmother, one half of the Kos childcare arrangment on that fatal day, was yesterday quoted as saying..

'Now I have a great, great fear. It’s like the police know Ben is buried on Kos but they don’t know where.

'I don’t know what happens then. But there was never going to be a fairy tale ending.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3838098/Search-Ben-Needham-running-ideas-farmhouse-repaired-grandmother-admits-no-fairy-tale-ending.html

I wonder what she (or anyone else for that matter) thought the police they were digging for the last time they visited Kos.  Being in denial is one thing but when the police start digging, odds are on they're looking for a body.

This case press coverage is becoming more like that of Madeleine McCann by the day.

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 16.10.16 12:58

Too late to edit above post but this is the press report I was looking for..

Ben Needham's gran tells of her torment as she accepts her grandson will not be found alive

13th October 2013

Christine Needham has spent 25 years holding on to the hope that her missing grandsonwill be found alive.

But now, as police continue to excavate sites in Kos looking for Ben's body, the heartbroken grandmother has accepted there will be no happy ending for her tormented family.

“It came out of the blue,” Christine says of the moment police told the Needhams – after years of reported sightings and negative DNA tests– they are now searching for remains.

“They have done this as delicately as they can,” she says of officers investigating the theory that the toddler was killed by digger driver Konstantinos “Dino”
Barkas in an accident on the Greek island.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-needhams-gran-tells-torment-9041484

So again I ask - what did this woman think the police were digging for way back in May (that month again) 2012, when her daughter Kerry Needham so readily dismissed the police theory that her son had been accidentally killed and buried by builders rubble, remaining convinced that he he had been abducted and was out there alive and findable?

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 16.10.16 15:55

What on earth is going on? The search has ended.

https://www.facebook.com/calendarnews/videos/1358867347479096/

Duncan Wood’s final comments:

‘Have they found the answers for Ben Needham?

We’re not sure. We hope so.

We’ll update you when we can’

don’t seem to make sense.

If they have finished and found nothing, what is there to celebrate?

Certainly that gives no answers.

So surely the hugs, kisses, congratulations and early finish would logically mean they have actually succeeded and found a body, but with all the nonsense that has come out so far, who knows?

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 16.10.16 16:04

Nothing according to the ‘Help Find Ben’ site:

Help Find Ben Needham
3 hrs ·
South Yorkshire Police, Operation Ben team, the Hellenic Search and Rescue team, huge thank you to each and everyone of you.
Also to the media that has followed the case of missing Ben Needham for the last 25 years and special thank you to the ITV Calendar News team who have been consistently by the Needham family's side since the beginning in 1991. xXx
-----------**picture copyright ITVCalendarNews**----------
Please everyone remember the items found will now be analysed,
so although there may seem to be no answers as yet hopefully we should have news on what exactly was found soon.
This search wasn't done on a whim after just ONE witness statement.
The Operation Ben team were already following this line of enquiry after going through 25 years of information and witness statements.
The new witness statement just corroborated the info SYP already had and was a targeted search - not a wild goose chase.
The Police and the Hellenic Search and Rescue team have our utmost respect and can't really thank them enough.
As Kerry has already said- they are heroes.
The Hellenic Search and Rescue team are all volunteers , please donate if you can via the link
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/hannah-bryan
The police will brief media tomorrow xXx

……………………….

After 21 days digging around, if nothing had been found why would you finish in that manner?

Surely you would feel completely dispirited?

Doesn’t make sense.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 16.10.16 17:51

@aquila wrote:
@MayMuse wrote:
@sar wrote:
@aquila wrote:
@MayMuse wrote:
@bobbin wrote:No newspaper coverage of the dig on Kos since 2 days ago, 9th October. Does anyone know if the dig is still happening and if so, why it's gone quiet.
They could be waiting for forensics? 
Last report was yesterday as far as I know. 
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/oct/10/tired-and-distressed-ben-needhams-mother-prepares-to-accept-his-death
The Guardian article is a bit strange in that it refers to Kerry as 'Needham'.

Snippets

In a tearful television interview on Monday, Needham said she and her family were “tired and distressed”. She spoke as police entered their third week of searches on Kos after new information that Ben, who was 21 months old when he disappeared, may have been accidentally killed by a digger driver.

Needham said her family was trying to remain calm but every day was an “agonising wait” for news from the police. “They are in constant contact with us and updating us on everything, but every time the phone rings you think: is this going to be the one with the bad news?’’ she said.

Needham, who has been warned to “prepare for the worst”, thanked the public, the police and the British media for their support.

This isn't the usual way to address the mother of a missing child in the press.

Just an observation.
Hi aquilla, thank you for your post.  From my limited knowledge of the dark arts, referring to someone by their surname is a device used where they are a suspect?????  Weird.  These things are not done by mistake, there are writers, editors, sub editors, proof readers etc who's job it is to ensure copy is accurate, relevant, spelt properly and grammatically correct.
I had the same thought; have to disagree  on your sentence though,as how much blatant anomalies,and substandard writings have we witnessed with acute abominable inaccuracy over the years!
I agree May Muse, especially from the Grauniad (I'm not a fan).

However, it is rather strange that Kerry Needham is reduced to 'Needham' in their (The Guardian) copy. If nothing else it's quite openly disrespectful imo.

I once protested about a American piece of "journalism" (they are at least as bad as the British media) saying I found it very disrespectful. I was told that was "the way it was done". Indeed since then I noticed it in many US articles. So sadly it seems you are infected by this strange virus. Respect is hard to find nowadays. On the other side among all the evils of the media industry this seems a little one.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 16.10.16 21:32

From the BBC:

‘Det Insp John Cousins, who is leading the investigation, said: "I've got the confidence that we have done exactly what we can, given the plans we had before we came out here so that I can give an answer, whatever that might be, to Ben's family."
He said he was proud of his team: "It has been a difficult job, the conditions have been extremely hot and very dusty and they are long hours they have been working."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-37671368

??????????????????????????????????

If they have not found a body, how can he give any type of answer to Ben’s family to move them on from where they were before the SY Police’s ‘summer in the sun’ started?

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 16.10.16 21:47

Well, it's reassuring that it's not just the McCanns that millions are being spent on.
BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Heartbreak as the dig for Ben Needham stops

Post by MayMuse on 17.10.16 4:47

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007

MayMuse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 17.10.16 12:32

So the Mirror, the intelligent tabloid, has been supporting the Needhams throughout their ordeal and were invited by the Needham family to witness the heartbreaking scene on the island of Kos over the weekend.  There is no right or wrong way to show emotion but if that were me, the last thing I'd want is publicity - who wants to be on camera when experiencing such a traumatic event?  Besides, the police should be allowed to work without journalists hanging around - it's not a scene from Hawaii Five-O.

Meanwhile over at the Mail..

Needham's mother hits out at digger driver for taking his secret about the toddler's death on Kos to his grave.

Ben Needham's mother said she hopes a Greek digger driver 'is burning in hell' after she claimed he took secrets about the toddler's death on Kos to his grave.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3842412/I-t-say-goodbye-knowing-s-Mother-missing-Ben-Needham-says-want-tear-Greek-island-search-son-closes.html

Charming!  I sincerely hope Ms. Needham didn't say that - especially as the theory about 'Dinos' the digger, is but hearsay!  As I said before, I think the man's family is due an apology from the UK press.

Real investigative journalism is a wonder but as with the latest from Antonella Lazzeri about Madeleine McCann sightings, this is not investigative journalism, it's sensationalism. 

Still, it's all good PR and I'm sure will be considered sufficient for the moment to placate the extravagance of Operation Grange  winkwink .

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 17.10.16 14:04

@Verdi wrote:So the Mirror, the intelligent tabloid, has been supporting the Needhams throughout their ordeal and were invited by the Needham family to witness the heartbreaking scene on the island of Kos over the weekend...Real investigative journalism is a wonder but as with the latest from Antonella Lazzeri about Madeleine McCann sightings, this is not investigative journalism, it's sensationalism. 
I wonder if the Mirror paid a generous fee for exclusive coverage of this to the, er, 'Search for Ben', for which Kerry Needham continues to solicit funds on her website?

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners" - Paul's first letter to his disciple Timothy,  1 Timothy 1 v 15

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 17.10.16 14:11

I got the impression they told Kerry Needham what the recent testimony from Barkas' associate was and they were totally convinced by it, so not just a rumour planted in the media.

The police are saying today that they found an item belonging to Ben (presumably a toy) and have shown it to the family. They are also saying the conclusion would be the same if they hadn't found it due to the 'facts' they know.  If so what was the point of the dig? What makes the testimony of the drivers friend so convincingly a 'fact'?

Also didn't dogs search the area in 2012....yet they detected nothing?  It all seems quite odd and hasn't really left the family any better off.

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 17.10.16 14:16

DI Cousins:

"My team and I know that machinery, including a large digger, was used to clear an area of land on 24 July 1991, behind the farmhouse that was being renovated by the Needhams.
"It is my professional belief that Ben Needham died as a result of an accident near to the farmhouse in Iraklis where he was last seen playing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37676268

…………………………………………..

So we are expected to believe that Ben disappeared whilst they were eating lunch, at a time the digger team had also stopped working, and in a very short timeframe, of only a couple of minutes, Dino accidently ran over him, even though he was not working at the time?

Yes, maybe Ben could have wandered onto Dino’s site, fallen, hurt himself or even died, but are we really expected to accept that the grandparents would allow Dino to start crashing around with a big digger until the area had been carefully searched?

I wonder if the Greek police will now also issue a statement, as they are in effect being called incompetent by the SYP, who have actually achieved no more than the Greek police did at the time.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 17.10.16 14:20

Ben Needham 'killed in accident'

More Police BS.

They have absolutely no reason to state this.
BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 17.10.16 14:21

I noticed Kerry Needham said this today,  'He didn't leave Kos......they believe he's here but they can't dig up everyone's gardens that have been built over the years', I want to tear up the whole island to find him'

That infers police believe he may have been moved from the site and possibly that Barkas did this?

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 17.10.16 14:23

@BlueBag wrote:
Ben Needham 'killed in accident'

More Police BS.

They have absolutely no reason to state this.

They seem to be basing it on what the recent witness said but how can they be so sure from a presumably secondhand account?. if they don't reveal the evidence it will look as fishy as the Tannerman Revelation that appeared magically after all those years.

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 17.10.16 14:25

@Doug D wrote:DI Cousins:

"My team and I know that machinery, including a large digger, was used to clear an area of land on 24 July 1991, behind the farmhouse that was being renovated by the Needhams.
"It is my professional belief that Ben Needham died as a result of an accident near to the farmhouse in Iraklis where he was last seen playing."

…………………………………………..

So we are expected to believe that Ben disappeared whilst they were eating lunch, at a time the digger team had also stopped working, and in a very short timeframe, of only a couple of minutes, Dino accidently ran over him, even though he was not working at the time?

Yes, maybe Ben could have wandered onto Dino’s site, fallen, hurt himself or even died, but are we really expected to accept that the grandparents would allow Dino to start crashing around with a big digger until the area had been carefully searched?

I wonder if the Greek police will now also issue a statement, as they are in effect being called incompetent by the SYP, who have actually achieved no more than the Greek police did at the time.
DI Cousins

That's not too far away from what Goncalo Amaral said about Madeleine.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 17.10.16 14:33

@Doug D wrote:DI Cousins:

…………………………………………..

The BBC has just published what appears to be the final verdict of South Yorkshire police on the case: Ben Needham died in an accident.

Now, as readers and guests here will know, I have always believed that to be the case from the first moment Ben Needham was discussed on the forum. But I simply cannot accept the utterly farcical explanation that the South Yorkshire police have now come up with - the dead digger-driver's deathbed confession. I think the accident happened under other circumstances.

Incidentally, if the police are saying that Ben died in a digger accident, should there not now be an inquest?  A 21-month old boy has perished under highly unusual circumstances.

I also think the police and those guiding them invented this entire script before the recent excavations began. I think it was an expensive charade. Someone somewhere really wants the entire British public to believe that poor Ben was accidentally run over by a digger whose driver buried him and then kept silent until moments from his death on his deathbed. The excavators, the pickaxes, the Roman remains, the 800 tons of rubble was all elaborate window-dressing. They'd hardly tipped out all the rubble before declaring: 'The dead digger-driver did it':

BBC Report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news 

Toddler Ben Needham "most likely" died in an accident near to where he disappeared in 1991, police have said.

Ben, from Sheffield, was 21 months old when he disappeared on the Greek island of Kos.

An "item" believed to have been in Ben's possession at the time was found during fresh searches.

South Yorkshire Police said the current line of inquiry, that Ben was killed accidentally, was the most probable cause for the boy's disappearance.

The force said it remained committed to the investigation into Ben's disappearance and stressed the case remained open.

Det Insp Jon Cousins, who is leading the inquiry, said: "During the course of the inquiries we have made over the last 19 months, we have closed off a large number of theories about what happened to Ben, many of which have been open for over 20 years.

A friend of a digger driver, who was clearing land with an excavator on the day the toddler went missing, said the man may have been responsible for Ben's death.

The driver, Konstantinos Barkas, died of cancer in 2015.

A team of 19 South Yorkshire Police officers, forensic specialists, an archaeologist and search and rescue personnel have spent 21 days digging near the farmhouse and a second site 750m away.

Det Insp Cousins said an item, found on Saturday close to an item dated to 1991, had been shown to the Needham family.

"It is our initial understanding that this item was in Ben's possession around the time he went missing," he said.

"The recovery of this item, and its location, further adds to my belief that material was removed from the farmhouse on or shortly after the day that Ben disappeared."

The Needham family, who have long believed Ben may have been abducted, have been fully informed of the force's findings.

Kerry Needham said she just wanted to find her son's remains

Speaking to the Daily Mirror before the police briefing, Ben's mother, Kerry Needham, said: "They know he's dead but just can't find him.

"Police said it's time we ended our 25-year search. They are right but I can't say goodbye knowing he's still on that island somewhere. I feel physically sick. I can't feel any worse than I do."

She said she just wanted to "tear up" the whole island.

"Someone knows where he is. For God's sake, help me find him. We know he's dead but we need to find him. When someone dies you find a special place."

Det Insp Cousins said: "Our thoughts are with the family as they are given time to digest this and they have our full and continued support.

"Our drive has always been the family, and their welfare."

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kos Digs

Post by willowthewisp on 17.10.16 17:05

Hi Mr Bennett,
Sorry to sound Negative about the Ben Needham case and sincerely hope that,there are no"Linkages" of "Accidental Deaths" to Two Still infamous missing child cases,Operation Grange,it was the Three Portuguese Burglars?
The Police Investigations into numerable amounts of Criminal Behaviour and Unsolved Murders within the UK are increasing at an alarming rate,of which Sir Bernard Hogan Howe has acknowledged and has stated that having funding to Re-investigate the cases may never be solved,due to Witnesses dying or no new evidence? 
Need anyone to be reminded,"Hillsborough, unsolved deaths of Stephen Laurence,Ian Morgan, Jill Dando"Rotheram,Yorkshire Council" sex abuse cases,Jimmy Saville of Policing methodology?

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 17.10.16 21:34

I would still like to know how they can say it is Mr. Barkas who was using the digger.   Was he the only person who ever used the digger?

Will the ten grand reward be paid out?

I cannot believe that Mr. Barkas' family will accept this without seeking legal advice.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 17.10.16 23:37

So the public are expected to believe that the Needham grandparents and whoever else was in an around the derelict farmhouse, didn't hear a ruddy great earth mover trundling around outside?  A comparatively quiet remote area where even a moped would be heard driving off into the distance?  Pull the other one!

So an item has been unearthed said to belong to Ben Needham around the time of his disappearance - that is evidence and/or confirmation to conclude that the child was accidentally killed and buried by diggerman?  Pull the other one!

So Kerry Needham and family are now convinced that Ben Needham was killed by diggerman who took his secret to his grave, despite their prior conviction that he had been abducted?  Pull the other one!

DI Cousins should be struck off for knowingly wasting public money on a fools errand.  He knew as well as interested observers that this latest excavation was a complete farce and now it looks like Kerry Needham intends to hand dig every acre of land on the island until she finds her lost son - or does she?

Fifty shades of McCann.

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 20 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 16 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum