The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Mm11

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Mm11

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Regist10

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016*** (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators)

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Empty Re: ***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016*** (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators)

Post by MayMuse 06.10.16 18:30

Timeline of the search for Ben so far.

July 24, 1991: Ben vanishes around 2.30pm from outside grandparents’ farmhouse in Iraklis, a small village on the Greek island of Kos.

July 25, 1991: Builders (including Dino) working on nearby property tell police they had saw a white car occupied by three people parking in the lane before Ben vanished.

1992: Various sightings of children matching Ben’s description made to police and newspapers and followed up by the family.

1993: The Needhams head to Kos with a British TV crew and visit island’s police for an update. 

1996: Greek prisoner claims Ben is staying with a gypsy family.

1997: Taxi driver comes forward to say he also saw Ben in his cab with this same gypsy family. Kerry writes to PM Tony Blair expressing concerns about Greek probe.

2000: Police claim white car belonged to Xanthippi Agrelli, Needham family’s translator. She says she visited that day, family denies this. Police asked to re-investigate claims, family get no update despite repeated appeals over the years.

Met Police issue image of how Ben would look aged 14 to 16.

2005: Needham family take turns visiting Greece, Spain, Germany, Cyprus and Turkey but no information leads to Ben.

2007: Madeleine McCann disappears from Portugal and Kerry gives 27 press interviews in one day. Police sent to join Madeleine search, despite Kerry being told officers could not investigate foreign crime. 

2008: Kerry visits retired Kos police boss. He says he believed Ben was abducted and was still alive.

September 2011: Greek police officially reopen case.

December 2011: Ben’s DNA from heel prick test released to police for first time after High Court battle.

September 2012: South Yorkshire Police travel to Kos to dig up mound at property where Ben went missing. No remains were found.

December 2014: Lawyers acting for Needhams threaten legal action to force the Government to make a decision on extra funding for a new police investigation.

February 2015: Home Secretary grants South Yorkshire Police £700,000 for Ben probe.

March 2016: Extra £450,000 granted to police. DNA tests rule out Greek man who could be Ben.

September 2016: British police set to return to Kos for a second dig.

October 2016: British police excavate & bulldoze around the farmhouse, nothing found other than a few "items of interest" sent for forensic examination.  Ben's sandals are reconstructed. 

Robert Murat talking to David Jones, Daily Mail, 02 June 2007
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html
MayMuse

Activity : 3472

Back to top Go down

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Empty Re: ***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016*** (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators)

Post by Doug D 06.10.16 20:38

Suggested yesterday for second dig site:

b/.  Stephen’s bike accident site (if they have identified it)

So the dig ends up at the dodgy bend on the road from the farmhouse to the caravan &/or Kerry’s flat, with piles of loose builders spoil and rubble on the roadside.

Can’t help but wonder about the information the SYP have received, as I’ve always struggled with the Barkas story.
Doug D

Activity : 5283

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 06.10.16 20:56

jeanmonroe wrote:@ Verdi

'Aww bless - dear dear ever faithful Tracey Kandohla in Kos for Mail Online - still championing the prime suspects in the disappearance of a little three year old child.'

Bet 'our Trace' is the 'life and soul' of the nightly 'karaoke' circuit, in Kos!

Her 'fave' song being (in Kos).......'tie a Maddie ribbon round the old fig tree'

Well, there ain't 'much else to do' is there, after the ol' bill leave the 'dig' site, every evening/night, until returning the next day.

Time enough to knock back a few shots of 'ouzo'! winkwink
laugh  Brilliant!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 42327

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 06.10.16 21:00

I don't think this is a case of why hasn't Ben Needham's disappearance received the same amount of attention from UK authorities as Madeleine McCann's disappearance - I believe it's more a case of why has Madeleine McCann's disappearance received so much attention from UK authorities.

As I understand it, UK police are not in a position to interfere with an investigation led by another country unless requested.  I don't recall ever reading a reasonable explanation as to why the UK police were so rapidly deployed to assist with the investigation of Madeleine McCann's disappearance -just a passing comment by Goncalo Amaral.

Ben Needham's case was handled as expected (although perhaps not to the satisfaction of the Needham family), until the Needhams decided to use the case of Madeleine McCann's to try and twist a few arms.  They also copied the studio sofa sittings,  the website idea, the good quality wristbands, posters and a donation button.  Plus an e-petition to the government, letters to the Prime Minister and Home Office etc. etc.

For whatever the reason, giving Madeleine McCann's case so much attention has created a very big problem for the UK establishment.  They have opened the flood gates for every plight here on in.  I hope it was worth it because this ain't going to go away.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Google.Gaspar.Statements 06.10.16 21:15

Verdi wrote:I don't think this is a case of why hasn't Ben Needham's disappearance received the same amount of attention from UK authorities as Madeleine McCann's disappearance - I believe it's more a case of why has Madeleine McCann's disappearance received so much attention from UK authorities.

As I understand it, UK police are not in a position to interfere with an investigation led by another country unless requested.  I don't recall ever reading a reasonable explanation as to why the UK police were so rapidly deployed to assist with the investigation of Madeleine McCann's disappearance -just a passing comment by Goncalo Amaral.

Ben Needham's case was handled as expected (although perhaps not to the satisfaction of the Needham family), until the Needhams decided to use the case of Madeleine McCann's to try and twist a few arms.  They also copied the studio sofa sittings,  the website idea, the good quality wristbands, posters and a donation button.  Plus an e-petition to the government, letters to the Prime Minister and Home Office etc. etc.

For whatever the reason, giving Madeleine McCann's case so much attention has created a very big problem for the UK establishment.  They have opened the flood gates for every plight here on in.  I hope it was worth it because this ain't going to go away.
Maybe people will also quote the McCann case when trying to get away with 'doing a McCann'?

If the McCanns can escape prosecution then why not others?

Maybe other child neglectors/corpse concealers can also enjoy a lucrative, celebrity lifestyle and have their mortgage paid off and have an extension built on their house while asking other people to fund the search for the daughter they lost?

Activity : 701

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 06.10.16 23:43

A massive u-turn for Kerry Needham today - up to this time I think she has always believed that her son was abducted and is still alive..

Ben Needham's mum reveals she 'wanted to scream' when she heard rubble dumped on day of disappearance

6th October 2016 - 1 hour ago

Ben Needham’s mother said “I want to scream” when she learned the digger driver feared to have killed her boy took rubble to a dump hours after the toddler vanished.

Kerry gasped when told of the dramatic new twist as British police started the fresh search on the Greek island of Kos.

They turned their attention to a roadside builders’ dump less than a mile from the farmhouse where 21-month-old Ben went missing 25 years ago.

A “significant” new witness told police that digger driver Konstantinos “Dino” Barkas, feared to have killed Ben in a building site accident, took rubble to the dump on the same day or soon after.

Read on..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-needhams-mum-reveals-wanted-8995046

How fortunate, after 25 years silence a 'significant' new witness steps forward with a memory so sharp that he can recall where and when a digger driver dumped rubble?  Where's he been hiding all these years - the same place as ex-DCI Redwood's revelation moment?

I think journalists Lucy Thornton and Andy Lines should pack their bags and return to the UK post haste.  For goodness sake leave it to the police to investigate and leave the hour by hour reporting until such times as the police issue a press statement.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 07.10.16 0:18

Does anyone 'know' why Martin Brunt, Sky News, 'chief' crime correspondent/reporter, is not in/on Kos, 'covering' the Ben Needham 'search'?
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 07.10.16 7:38

Snips from Mirror:

Kerry Needham says she was stunned when officers started searched a roadside builders' dump

Kerry gasped when told of the dramatic new twist as British police started the fresh search on the Greek island of Kos.
They turned their attention to a roadside builders’ dump less than a mile from the farmhouse where 21-month-old Ben went missing 25 years ago.

South Yorkshire Police will spend the next four or five days in a finger-tip search of the rubble in a desperate hunt for a clue to what happened to Sheffield lad Ben.
Kerry, 43, said: “I’m terrified he is there. These next few days are going to be agonising.

Kerry said she is now convinced Ben’s body would have been moved from the spot where he died.
She added: “I think the police are right. There was an accident and his body was taken and may have been hidden elsewhere.
"Seeing this new site has made it even more real – the fact the police are convinced he’s dead.
Nobody would look for him in that area they are now digging. They would always go back to the scene of the crime in Iraklis.”

She also pointed out that there would have been no need for driver Dino to dump rubble at the new site.
She said: “He already had a big mound of building waste which he had been using throughout that day and previous days.
“The only reason to go elsewhere was to hide something.”

Kerry, who is staying in a location near Kos, cried after seeing footage of the new site online and had to be comforted by her mum Christine, 64.

Her dad Eddy, 68, also spoke of his shock after hearing where the latest dig was located.

He said: “I used to drive past that site on my way to work. It was a really quiet road and only local people knew it or would use it.
“I always knew there were two sites of interest but I had no idea about this location. It really shocks me.
"Chris walked that way in the morning and walked back that way after Ben disappeared.
“But I do understand that police have their reasons for keeping that site quiet.”

…………………………………….

Curiouser and curiouser. (Well not really)

If you didn’t know the location of the second dig, why would you be so shocked when it was revealed?
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse 07.10.16 9:47

I think they mean that they were shocked it was that area, the police have not revealed the location until now. 
To believe that Bens remains are there, the police must be working on part of the other information received. 
Very sad. 

If Bens remains are found in that rubble, how does it explain the missing shorts?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-459316/Madeleine-Is-Robert-Murat-suspect-scapegoat.html
MayMuse

Back to top Go down

Post by Roxyroo 07.10.16 9:53

Verdi wrote:A massive u-turn for Kerry Needham today - up to this time I think she has always believed that her son was abducted and is still alive..

Ben Needham's mum reveals she 'wanted to scream' when she heard rubble dumped on day of disappearance

6th October 2016 - 1 hour ago

Ben Needham’s mother said “I want to scream” when she learned the digger driver feared to have killed her boy took rubble to a dump hours after the toddler vanished.

A “significant” new witness told police that digger driver Konstantinos “Dino” Barkas, feared to have killed Ben in a building site accident, took rubble to the dump on the same day or soon after.

Read on..

How fortunate, after 25 years silence a 'significant' new witness steps forward with a memory so sharp that he can recall where and when a digger driver dumped rubble?  Where's he been hiding all these years - the same place as ex-DCI Redwood's revelation moment?

I think journalists Lucy Thornton and Andy Lines should pack their bags and return to the UK post haste.  For goodness sake leave it to the police to investigate and leave the hour by hour reporting until such times as the police issue a press statement.

Agreed Verdi, why don't they just tell us any significant news when its been confirmed instead of this dragged out for media process, which must be torturous for Kerry and family, and what if nothing is found. Suppose these "journalists" need something to do each day

Activity : 727

Back to top Go down

Post by Equity 07.10.16 11:19

When these new digs first started it was being reported that Burkas had made some sort of deathbed confession - but that wasn't the case, was it?

To say that the toddler may have been playing in the rubble and I may have run him over and dumped rubble on him is certainly a possibility but so are any number of other scenarios.

Is there any evidence to suggest that Burkas NEW he ran over Ben and covered it up all these years? For the police to be suggesting this was an important NEW lead seems odd.

The new site is along the road used by the family to commute between their caravan and the farmhouse they were working on.

"Kerry said she is now convinced Ben’s body would have been moved from the spot where he died.
She added: “I think the police are right. There was an accident and his body was taken and may have been hidden elsewhere."

I'm sure the Kos police have always believed there was an accident.
Equity

Activity : 183

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 07.10.16 12:35

Seems to me this case is very similar to that of Madeleine McCann, in so far as there doesn't appear to be any conclusive evidence or intelligence to further an investigation.  In addition, there are no tangible witnesses to assist the investigation - as with the McCann case, the entire proceedings have been based on the word of the immediate family circle only.

If the current excavations lead anywhere positive, I will be very surprised.  If the press reports are to be believed, South Yorkshire police aren't even following a positive new lead, they are floundering about in the hope of a miracle.

The UK press don't appear to bother about fact, or even accuracy, just as long as there's a story to justify their existence - what they don't know they invent.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 07.10.16 12:43

Equity wrote:When these new digs first started it was being reported that Burkas had made some sort of deathbed confession - but that wasn't the case, was it?

I think this is just a figure of speech used to emphasis the unlikelihood of the event and a comparison with such as the Raymond Hewlett fiasco, as concerns the Madeleine McCann case.

The parallel being an alleged posthumous confession which can never be proven - hence the slightly inaccurate term of phrase 'a deathbed confession'.

Put it down to poetic licence smilie .

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by JRP 07.10.16 12:53

To an extent I can understand the lack of witnesses outside the family circle in the Needham case, the remoteness of the location wouldn't attract outsiders would it?
But the McCann case differs in that they weren't in a remote rural location, they were in reasonably busy, purpose built holiday apartments.
JRP

Activity : 1176

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 07.10.16 21:19

Just coincidence or are they playing silly buggers with injunctions and things now? This ITV update was available to watch earlier, but now just jumps to the message:

7 October 2016 at 6:21pm

Ben Needham: How archaeologists are forensically examining search site

‘THE VIDEO YOU ARE TRYING TO WATCH CANNOT BE VIEWED FROM YOUR CURRENT COUNTRY OR LOCATION’

A forensic examination of mounds of rubble and earth is taking place on the Greek island of Kos as the search continues for Ben Needham.
The operation, led by South Yorkshire Police, yesterday moved to a new location a short distance from the farmhouse that had been the focus of attention during the first ten days of the fresh inquiry.
Today forensic archaeologists have been sifting through 20 different deposits of waste on a site that has been used as a dumping ground for around three decades.
It's thought digger driver Konstantinos Barkas, who was working on the farmhouse at the time Ben disappeared in 1991, used the area to tip waste.
A friend of Mr Barkas, who has since died, claims he knocked down and killed the toddler before burying him – an allegation his family denies.
Duncan told John Shires about the day's events, with the search set to continue over the weekend.

Last updated Fri 7 Oct 2016

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2016-10-07/ben-needham-how-archaeologists-are-forensically-examining-search-site/

…………………………………….

Never got round to watching it before it was pulled, so has Duncan Wood said something that falls outside the ‘stated remit’ ?????????

Is anyone outside of the UK able to view it and report? I tried through google.com but it still won't work.
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 07.10.16 23:06

Doug D wrote:
Is anyone outside of the UK able to view it and report? I tried through google.com but it still won't work.
It hasn't been pulled, perhaps there was a temporary blip. 

Report?  Seems to me a bit of a hysterical response to nothing but a theory - the archeologist involved is quite excited but aren't they always.  I can tell you they've managed to unearth some fragments of pottery and there is also a demonstration on how an earth mover operates in terms of moving earth.

waiting

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.10.16 12:21

Forensic experts from the Madeleine McCann case help in the hunt for clues   -   Oh yeah?

Detectives searching or Ben Needham extend their stay in Kos

Saturday 8th October 2016

Detective Inspector Jon Cousins told reporters it will enable officers to continue examining another site close to the farmhouse where Ben, then 21 months old, disappeared in 1991.

He said initial work at the site revealed the underlying ground consisted of compacted material deposited over the last 30 years. [size=13][fascinating!] [/size]

Mr Cousins said: "We are going to be doing this to give me the confidence that I've done everything I can."  [good!]

"I am lifting all the earth behind us...."  [cor blimey - strong arm of the law personified]

He confirmed he had been given information about another area where digger driver Konstantinos Barkas deposited rubble 25 years ago, but said he would not be acting on it.

The current operation was prompted by information that Mr Barkas was clearing land with an excavator close to where Ben, from Sheffield, was playing on the day he vanished - and that he may be responsible for his death. [abortive dig?]

But Mr Cousins said that while his team was taking the new information seriously, it was not based on specific intelligence like the current searches. [eh?]

http://news.sky.com/story/detectives-searching-for-ben-needham-on-kos-extend-their-stay-10609457

OK, so it's now official - a fools errand or if you prefer a bus-man's holiday! 

PR pure and simple from the outset!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.10.16 12:35

Meanwhile, the ever so slightly retarded Sun is trundling on the same tram-line..

FRESH BEN CLUE

Ben Needham police extend their search of Greek island after new witnesses come forward to say ‘where toddler was buried’

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1935950/ben-needham-police-extend-their-search-of-greek-island-after-new-witnesses-come-forward-to-say-where-toddler-was-buried/

Now - who shall I believe today waiting ?

I do hope at the end of all this, a very public apology will be forthcoming to the family and friends of Konstantinos ‘Dino’ Barkas.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 Empty Kos Digs

Post by willowthewisp 08.10.16 15:46

Not wanting to disrespect the Police Operation in Greece searching for little Ben Needham,who disappeared in 1991,but if they were going to plan this search after 2012-14 Investigation Inquiry,surly they could have had a bit more discretion/intrusion of the Press with regards to press on a live Police Investigation?
We can only hope for the best outcome in regard to Ben and his family's torment at this present time.
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Activity : 4912

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 08.10.16 16:06

Does anyone know what is being reported in the Greek media?

After all, there was a big appeal made on Greek television by Kerry Needham.

Is the Greek media reporting anything on the digs?
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by MayMuse 08.10.16 19:50

willowthewisp wrote:Not wanting to disrespect the Police Operation in Greece searching for little Ben Needham,who disappeared in 1991,but if they were going to plan this search after 2012-14 Investigation Inquiry,surly they could have had a bit more discretion/intrusion of the Press with regards to press on a live Police Investigation?
We can only hope for the best outcome in regard to Ben and his family's torment at this present time.
They've known about the second site for some time, video release of dig with interview jon cousins 
https://youtu.be/O-kKFaE64tw

Still don't believe anything will be found.

MayMuse

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.10.16 23:57

Well, the 'intelligent tabloid' are tonight re-vamping the story.  Journalist Andy Lines has lost his other half - maybe they half listened to advice about their return to blighty..

Ben Needham detectives launch 'deeper dig' at site on a rubbish dump

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ben-needham-detectives-launch-deeper-9008223

Previous reports claimed that Konstantinos 'Dinos' Barkas died last year as a result of cancer - tonight the Mirror claims he died of cirrhosis of the liver.  What next - he was a drinker and over the limit when operating his digger?  If they can't even get that right, what hope of a factual report from Kos?

Leave no stone unturned..

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 09.10.16 11:24

Todays DI Cousins briefing from ITV:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1351585198207311&id=106174219415088

Sixty items being sent back to UK from the farmhouse, but none of them important enough to be sent straight back, so looks pretty pointless.

He does mention the compacted spoil evident on the ‘edge of the ravine’.  I believe the ‘ravine’ he talks about is actually the bank of the lower road by the dodgy bend on the way back to the caravan site.

He does say ‘there is significance about this site behind me’, whereas he seems to dismiss the third site that has been highlighted as just another Barkas dump site.

eta

There is also a small 'cutting' (storm flood relief?) at the back of the site that you can see from the lower road.
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 09.10.16 12:05

Ben Needham search: 60 items found near farmhouse to be analysed in UK

1 hour ago

***'Kos dig' starts 26 Sep 2016***  (was: Kerry Needham 'prepared for worst' by investigators) - Page 11 _91542738_ben_needham_dig_624map_v2

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-37600584

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 09.10.16 12:21

Really is time the BBC got their satellite picture right. They have been showing the ‘Farmhouse where family stayed in 1991’ for a fortnight now, and they are not even pointing at the farmhouse where they were doing the building work.

The grandparents and boys were staying in a caravan a mile away.
Doug D

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top