The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Andrea Leadsom or Theresa May? (was: NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?)

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?

4% 4% 
[ 6 ]
3% 3% 
[ 5 ]
14% 14% 
[ 20 ]
31% 31% 
[ 46 ]
11% 11% 
[ 16 ]
37% 37% 
[ 55 ]

Total Votes : 148

Re: Andrea Leadsom or Theresa May? (was: NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?)

Post by hogwash on 05.07.16 14:23

Two party heavyweights are recorded by Sky giving unguarded views on Tory leadership candidates, calling one "bloody difficult".

Ken Clarke has been caught criticising Tory leadership candidates in a candid off-air moment at Sky News' Westminster studio.
The former chancellor had just been interviewed when he was recorded giving his opinions to Sir Malcolm Rifkind about the "fiasco".
Sir Malcolm, who was also appearing as a guest, started the conversation with Mr Clarke when he leaned in to say: "I don't mind who wins as long as Gove comes third. As long as Gove doesn't come in the final two I don't mind what happens."
Mr Clarke on Michael Gove:

"I don't think the membership will vote for Gove. I remember being in a discussion about something to do with somewhere like Syria or Iraq and he was so wild that I remember exchanging looks with Liam Fox.
"We were exchanging views and Liam was raising eyebrows.
"I think with Michael as prime minister we'd go to war with at least three countries at once."
"He did us all a favour by getting rid of Boris. The idea of Boris as prime minister is ridiculous."
On Andrea Leadsom:
"I don't think either Andrea Leadsom or Boris Johnson actually are in favour of leaving the European Union.
Mr Rifkind: "Well I don't think they even cared very much either way."
Mr Clarke: "She is not one of the tiny band of lunatics who think we can have a sort of glorious economic future outside the single market.
"So long as she understands that she's not to deliver on some of the extremely stupid things she's been saying."
On Theresa May:
"Theresa is a bloody difficult woman but you and I worked with Margaret Thatcher (laughs).
"I get on all right with her ... and she is good.
"She's been at the Home Office far too long, so I only know in detail what her views are on the Home Office.

"She doesn't know much about foreign affairs."

http://news.sky.com/story/1721982/watch-ken-clarke-ridicules-tory-candidates
hogwash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Andrea Leadsom or Theresa May? (was: NEW POLL - Who would best lead our country for the next 4 years?)

Post by plebgate on 05.07.16 15:51

I wonder what the candidates would be heard to say about Rifkind if their comments were caught "unguarded" in a Sky studio. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investigations/mps-who-cleared-jack-straw-and-sir-malcolm-rifkind-reveal-misgiv/

Ken Clarke a Europhile of the Highest Order and certainly yesterday's man.  Does anyone care what they think?

I know I don't.   Why are they dragging all the Yesterday men out and into news studios?

How "unguarded"  exactly were those views in a Sky news studio?  lol.

Oh how I wish for real change, I really do.

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 05.07.16 15:55

@plebgate wrote:I wonder what the candidates would be heard to say about Rifkind if their comments were caught "unguarded" in a Sky studio. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investigations/mps-who-cleared-jack-straw-and-sir-malcolm-rifkind-reveal-misgiv/

Ken Clarke a Europhile of the Highest Order and certainly yesterday's man.  Does anyone care what they think?

I know I don't.   Why are they dragging all the Yesterday men out and into news studios?

How "unguarded"  exactly were those views in a Sky news studio?  lol.

Oh how I wish for real change, I really do.

Exactly my thoughts too plebgate! yawn

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hogwash on 05.07.16 15:58

If you sum up what Clarke had to say he was basically saying only Theresa May was up to the job even though she was a 'bloody difficult woman' which he thought was a strength anyway!

Pro_May pantomime!
hogwash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 05.07.16 15:59

I have said it before Pennylane, great minds or is it just very suspicious minds. big grin  thumbup

If I forget to add it to a post everything is In My Opinion and I don't know anything for sure.
roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 05.07.16 16:01

@hogwash wrote:If you sum up what Clarke had to say he was basically saying only Theresa May was up to the job even though she was a 'bloody difficult woman' which he thought was a strength anyway!
Yes that's the sum of it hogwash because she was a Remainer and he absolutely loves the EU.

Unguarded moment hmmm?

roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 05.07.16 16:02

@plebgate wrote:I have said it before Pennylane, great minds or is it just very suspicious minds. big grin  thumbup

Yaay!  A bit of both methinks... m1264

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 05.07.16 16:07

That was all about as accidental as Mrs Gove's e-mail! They really take the public for idiots which is a particularly dumb thing to do when the entire political class are held in contempt across the country.

Ken - let's join the ruinous euro - Clarke, and Malcom - I can put you in touch with any embassy round the world for a small consideration - Rifkind.

As if what they say has any worth?

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.07.16 19:25

@Tony Bennett wrote:
OK, I am going to have a shot at a prediction.

My big fear is that most of the Remainers will vote May on the first ballot and that she will get very close to the 167 she needs to win outright.

But I will predict:

May - 144
Leadsom - 75
Gove - 58
Crabb - 32
Fox - 23.
Well, the ACTUAL votes were:

MAY - 165 (50%)

LEADSOM - 66 (20%)

GOVE - 48 (15%)

CRABB - 34 (10%)

FOX - 16 (5%)

Fox drops out, and they all vote again on Thursday. If Theresa May has 165 out of 332 voting for her, she has half the support she needs already.

It might be hard for ANY of the others to carry on, especially if she gets even more support on the next round. We will just have to hold her to: 'BREXIT means BREXIT'.

Here is the Guardian's take on the result:

May said she was pleased by the result and very grateful to her colleagues, adding: “There is a big job before us: to unite our party and the country, to negotiate the best possible deal as we leave the EU, and to make Britain work for everyone.”                                            

The result is a major blow for Gove, the justice secretary, who wrecked Boris Johnson’s campaign for leadership by abandoning him at the last moment in order to run himself.

The former London mayor endorsed Leadsom on Monday night in a move that is likely to have attracted a number of other leave campaigners to her campaign.

David Burrowes, who is supporting Leadsom, said: “We look like we are heading for an all-women shortlist. That is exciting, uplifting and energising for members.”

The energy secretary, Amber Rudd, who is backing May, said her candidate had secured half of all MPs. “It shows she’s the one who can unite the party.

The other candidates got particular sectors but she’s got remain and leave, north and south. I think someone with such a broad reach of support will be right for the country.”

Some Johnson supporters were furious with Gove, with the MP Ben Wallace attacking him as having an “emotional need to gossip”, particularly after a drink, while Jake Berry tweeted that there was “a very deep pit reserved in hell” for people like him.

ETA: Important Statement tonight from the Liberal Democratic Party:

Away from the Conservatives' leadership contest, the Liberal Democrats are pleased to inform us, via email, that their membership is now at its highest level for a decade.

The party says it has attracted 15,000 new members since the referendum result, bringing the total to more than 74,000.  

After the Brexit vote, leader Tim Farron announced that the party would fight the next general election as the only UK-wide party committed to protecting Britain’s relationship with Europe.

ETA2:   BBC: "GOVE HOPEFUL"

QUOTE:

Jacob Rees-Mogg, a Michael Gove fan, says his candidate's vote was higher than he expected and he thinks some of Liam Fox's votes could go to him in the next round.

He says it's worth remembering that Remain-supporting MPs outnumber Leavers among Tory MPs quite considerably, but in the party membership - who will have the final say - the situation is quite different and that will work in his man's favour.

On the idea that Mr Gove has been hit hard by reaction to his treatment of Boris Johnson, Mr Rees-Mogg adds: "That was a powerful emotion for people on Friday... but I think it's an emotion that is dissipating quite rapidly and people are (now) looking at Michael's very considerable qualities."

Robert Halfon says it was "an extraordinarily high result" for his candidate Theresa May and "it shows she's a unifier".

He says she has "huge strength of character" and a "huge work ethic", adding: "She's the kind of person that if we ever faced a national emergency you'd feel safe because you know she'd look after the country well."

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 05.07.16 19:55

You can see how the tories are stitching us up with a little help from their friends. Blair has been busy busy busy round the tv studios. His message: "People change their minds."

The little set-piece from Clarke and Rifkind - preparatory to installing an establishment-compliant May.

IMO there was always a post Brexit plan. Just not the one for plebs.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 05.07.16 19:58

@Mirage wrote:You can see how the tories are stitching us up with a little help from their friends. Blair has been busy busy busy round the tv studios. His message: "People change their minds."

The little set-piece from Clarke and Rifkind - preparatory to installing an establishment-compliant May.

And Farage has left the building so it seems.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 05.07.16 20:02

Viscount Trenchard speaking live in Lords debate on EU referendum.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 05.07.16 20:03

@aquila wrote:
@Mirage wrote:You can see how the tories are stitching us up with a little help from their friends. Blair has been busy busy busy round the tv studios. His message: "People change their minds."

I voted leave and stand by it but I'm sorry that Farage has conveniently chosen to leave this apparent struggle, after all the years of accepting the wages from the EU as an MEP, to turn up and chuck insults at them now and again when his media machine would have invited that.

I no more trust Farage than I'd trust an angry snake. I'm glad he's resigned and is committed to earning millions from public speaking and being a member of whatever comes along.

Farage has bailed out. He has a living to earn.

A member of my family is a member of UKIP and received an email as a party member as to why Nigel is quitting.

It's absolute bullshit in my opinion.

Nigel's career has only just begun and it's on podiums.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 05.07.16 20:16

@aquila wrote:

Farage wasn't  ever in the building to my knowledge. He has never been charged with affairs of state like the PM, for example. Largely due, I gather, to the walkabout of several ballot boxes in Thanet South.

He has his family's safety to consider now. Cameron is the major awol culprit here; the one who said he would carry out the will of the people.

I'm quite amused that everyone else's name is trotted out before that of the elephant in the room.Flashman and his jiggery pokery, eh! Gets away with it every time.

"Resign" is just a word he used. Resign means you go with immediate effect in the real world. He seems, however, to be hung up on his campaigning soundbite: the best of both worlds.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 05.07.16 20:33

@Mirage wrote:
@aquila wrote:

Farage wasn't  ever in the building to my knowledge. He has never been charged with affairs of state like the PM, for example. Largely due, I gather, to the walkabout of several ballot boxes in Thanet South.

He has his family's safety to consider now. Cameron is the major awol culprit here; the one who said he would carry out the will of the people.

I'm quite amused that everyone else's name is trotted out before that of the elephant in the room.Flashman and his jiggery pokery, eh! Gets away with it every time.

"Resign" is just a word he used. Resign means you go with immediate effect in the real world. He seems, however, to be hung up on his campaigning soundbite: the best of both worlds.
Farage wasn't in the building. That was easy, it was easy to be paid thousands upon thousands of pounds and report back on how dreadful the EU is. Bear with me on this please.

Farage turned up, took the pieces of silver and reported back as and when it suited...don't forget those pieces of silver - and remember Farage used all of those pieces of silver when reporting how dreadful this evil institution was. I doubt he worried about a mortgage payment or wondered where his next mortgage payment or the next free meal with fine wine came from.

Please don't place Farage on a pedestal. He's quit - and he's quit because it suits HIM.

Farage is only out for Farage. He likes it. He likes the limelight.

I'm grateful we had this referendum. I'm glad Farage shook the tiger by its tail. That doesn't mean I think he's a worthy politician or even a genuine person with enough guts to stand up and see things through. He's a young person. 52 is young isn't it?

Farage has bailed. And there is a very sinister right wing membership attached to UKIP, so I don't blame him for buggering orf.

Nigel's career has just begun - America here I come.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 05.07.16 22:49

Looks to me as they are all in it for themselves.

Disappointed to hear that Branson was given a secret meeting with May.   Does that tell us that she is  going to be wearing the Crown?

I hope grass root Tories haved noted this.

How can we trust any of them?

roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 05.07.16 23:21

roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 05.07.16 23:33

@plebgate wrote:Looks to me as they are all in it for themselves.

Disappointed to hear that Branson was given a secret meeting with May.   Does that tell us that she is  going to be wearing the Crown?

You sound about as fed up with them all as me Plebbers. Seems like the public have become secondary to the tories having a little reshuffle.

That Carole Malone was reviewing the papers on Sky tonight. She is far from my favourite person but she won a brownie point for saying May was compliant; did as she was told. Also mentioned she would not go down well with Brexiters and referred to her non campaigning IIRC.

All sorts of machinations going on. Everything rests with the grass roots now. Cameron got their backs up so maybe this could be payback time. I sense the country is volatile and there's  a limit to how far the political class should try it on. There could well be riots if they carry on in their business as usual detached way.

Well, them's me private thoughts, Alfie

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 06.07.16 11:47

I am really disappointed with them Mirage.    Too many true colours shown for me to respect them now.

Yes the only hope is the Tory grass roots.   I even saw David Davies speaking up for May last night.   He said that it wasn't really essential for a Brexiteer to be PM.

Has he been offered a top job I gotta wonder?

I also sense that the Leave voters aint going to tolerate a stitch up.   Time will tell but it is all taking far too long for a reason.  

Who ever dreamed up that website Thank Your MP was really taking the proverbial.

I cannot believe some numptie dreamed that one up and boy did Harriet Harperson jump on it. big grin 

I will thank all MPs when they do as the electorate ask.    PAH

roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 06.07.16 13:09

roll

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Equity on 07.07.16 16:27

Gove came 3rd.

May v Leadsom for PM.

Come on Andrea!!!

Equity

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard IV on 07.07.16 16:42

There are some really dirty tricks going on from Gove`s gang trying to get Andrea out like getting May backers to transfer to Gove so he has more than Andrea.  Also discrediting Andrea`s past experience.
Richard IV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 07.07.16 17:13

The next PM is definitely going to be a woman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi on 07.07.16 20:41

Theresa May and Andrea Leadsom will battle it out to become the next leader of the Conservative Party after Michael Gove was eliminated from the contest. 

After the second MPs' ballot, Home Secretary Mrs May finished with 199 votes, Energy Minister Mrs Leadsom 84 and Mr Gove, the justice secretary, 46.

Conservative members will now decide the winning candidate, with the result due on 9 September.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36737426
No contest - still, two months is a very long time in politics.  fan

Moderator/Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pennylane on 07.07.16 23:19

@Mirage wrote:
@plebgate wrote:Looks to me as they are all in it for themselves.

You sound about as fed up with them all as me Plebbers. Seems like the public have become secondary to the tories having a little reshuffle.

That Carole Malone was reviewing the papers on Sky tonight. She is far from my favourite person but she won a brownie point for saying May was compliant; did as she was told. Also mentioned she would not go down well with Brexiters and referred to her non campaigning IIRC.

All sorts of machinations going on. Everything rests with the grass roots now. Cameron got their backs up so maybe this could be payback time. I sense the country is volatile and there's  a limit to how far the political class should try it on. There could well be riots if they carry on in their business as usual detached way.

Well, them's me private thoughts, Alfie
I also saw Carole Malone last night, and her concerns re Theresa May were very astute, and Carole also said she was very optimistic re Brexit! thumbup

pennylane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum