The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann. Please note that your username should be different from your email address!

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

(Please note: if you register with the sole intention of disrupting or spamming, please don't expect to be a member for too long.)

Many thanks,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

playground shadows

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

playground shadows

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 9:42

The photograph below shows shadows running from left to right on the two people to the left of Gerry and Gerry/kids have same direction shadows too. The shadows are about 10 degrees from the horizontal plane of where the camera is being held and with this data you can roughly work out where the sun is in comparison to the camera.
Now, take a look at the large square brown slide with the green ladder. There is no shadows cast to the right of it where there should be one and I've sketched in where I think there should be a shadow. Also, take a look at the tree in the top right, this tree is casting a shadow on the grass from right to left on the grass and the white wall of the building. It appears that Gerry and his kids together with the two other people have been spliced onto the half with the building and play equipment.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Re: playground shadows

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 9:55

Fill me in, i'm not familiar with whats going on here guys. I've looked at comparison photographs of similar situations and there are shadows where i'd expect them to be. I can show you some real life comparisons if you would like.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.05.16 10:07

Welcome to the forum, maff2016.

If you use the search facility and do some reading, you will find that this photograph has been discussed on numerous occasions, and that your questions have been asked previously along with explanations, speculation and opinion.  I hope this helps you.

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 10:12

Thankyou, I'll do that but If you could link me to the best thread regarding this matter I would be very grateful.
Thanks.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.05.16 10:16

I'm using my tablet at the mo, so unable to provide links.  I can do it later or maybe another poster would assist.

There is no particular thread - there are several where it's discussed.  Please use the search facility (top right), it's straightforward.

ETA Click on the "photographs of M. fatefull holiday" and you will find a list of topics.

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 10:20

I see the search facility but I don't know what subject matter to type in.
Thanks.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.05.16 10:25

Click on "Photographs of MBM's fateful holiday" (top of the page).  You know how to do this as you started a new topic in that section.
You will find numerous topics discussing photographs.

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 10:56

OK, I'll regard my idea as a previously well researched field and that the photograph is genuine.
Thanks.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Dean on 01.05.16 11:59

Amy Dean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.05.16 12:24

@Amy Dean thanks

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 13:02

I think sometimes it is always important to draw parallels from real life scenario's when discussing subjects like these and for that reason I have done just that. I've uploaded a picture from a mini golf course as well as the photo in question. The mini golf has shadows from people to the left at the same angle as that on the McCann's photo, it has shadows in the location where the McCann's are located as depicted by a line of rocks defining the edge of the golf green. To simulate where the playhouse is, there is a large rock with the number 2 painted on it and just like we can see the front and left side of the playhouse - we can see the front and left side of the rock. We cannot see the far side or the right side of the rock just the same as we cannot see the right side and far side of the playhouse.
The rock is casting a shadow yet the playhouse is not and we need to ask ourselves why.
The only reason I can possibly come up with at this moment in time is that the sun is futher across to the right while it is shining on the playhouse than it is while shining on the McCann's and the others to the left of the McCann's.

This was the basis for my point but it seems that the forum has decided the photo is genuine.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket on 01.05.16 13:51

@maff2016 -welcome! yes

No, this forum doesn't have any closed subjects (as far as I'm aware)!

Hope you have a good read of this thread as it is worth it and you will find that there are quite a few members who think that there are problems with this photo, including myself. I concur with you about the shadows and posted to that effect. There are several pro-active members who disagree that the photo is not genuine. Have a read through and see what you think. Very interesting and very emotive topic, as are all the photos!
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 01.05.16 14:10

@maff2016 wrote:The photograph below shows shadows running from left to right on the two people to the left of Gerry and Gerry/kids have same direction shadows too. The shadows are about 10 degrees from the horizontal plane of where the camera is being held and with this data you can roughly work out where the sun is in comparison to the camera.
Now, take a look at the large square brown slide with the green ladder. There is no shadows cast to the right of it where there should be one and I've sketched in where I think there should be a shadow. Also, take a look at the tree in the top right, this tree is casting a shadow on the grass from right to left on the grass and the white wall of the building. It appears that Gerry and his kids together with the two other people have been spliced onto the half with the building and play equipment.
Why has this post been edited to remove the other picture with "sketched in" shadows?

We have done this to death.

There is nothing wrong with the shadows in this picture for people who understand cameras, perspective and vanishing point.
BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 01.05.16 14:12

@skyrocket wrote:No, this forum doesn't have any closed subjects (as far as I'm aware)!
Yes... but don't expect to post pseudo-science and go unchallenged.

There are forum monitors lapping up all the nonsense.
BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 01.05.16 14:20

BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket on 01.05.16 14:35

@BlueBag - couldn't agree more.....

Just for the record, I have an honours degree in geophysics.
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 14:42

@skyrocket wrote:@maff2016 -welcome! yes

No, this forum doesn't have any closed subjects (as far as I'm aware)!

Hope you have a good read of this thread as it is worth it and you will find that there are quite a few members who think that there are problems with this photo, including myself. I concur with you about the shadows and posted to that effect. There are several pro-active members who disagree that the photo is not genuine. Have a read through and see what you think. Very interesting and very emotive topic, as are all the photos!
Photographs are not my chosen field but I have sort of a general knowledge of digital photography from the past. I can't really comment on whether I photograph has been photoshopped but I do have eyes and an half decent amount of common sense to play with.
From other pictures i've studied in comparison to this one there are always shadows from objects running parallel with those of people. So I'd ask myself the simple underlying question: If the camera see's a patch of grass behind an object that is shaded from the sun would you expect the camera to see shadow? Well, because the sun cannot shine through the playhouse then the playhouse will cast a shadow which is related to all other shadows cast on that day and in the same direction. The shadows cast that day are from left to right and about 10 degrees from the 180 degree camera position, therefore anything the camera can see beyond 10 degrees and behind an object will be shown as shadow, that is just common sense.
The fact of the matter is this: People to the left of the McCann's are casting shadows which we can see and are stood in an upright erect position while doing so, the edge of the playhouse is also in an upright erect position but fails to cast a shadow in the same parallel direction. I digress.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 01.05.16 14:53

maff2016,

I don't believe you.
BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 14:57

@maff2016 wrote:I think sometimes it is always important to draw parallels from real life scenario's when discussing subjects like these and for that reason I have done just that. I've uploaded a picture from a mini golf course as well as the photo in question. The mini golf has shadows from people to the left at the same angle as that on the McCann's photo, it has shadows in the location where the McCann's are located as depicted by a line of rocks defining the edge of the golf green. To simulate where the playhouse is, there is a large rock with the number 2 painted on it and just like we can see the front and left side of the playhouse - we can see the front and left side of the rock. We cannot see the far side or the right side of the rock just the same as we cannot see the right side and far side of the playhouse.
The rock is casting a shadow yet the playhouse is not and we need to ask ourselves why.
The only reason I can possibly come up with at this moment in time is that the sun is futher across to the right while it is shining on the playhouse than it is while shining on the McCann's and the others to the left of the McCann's.

This was the basis for my point but it seems that the forum has decided the photo is genuine.
If anyone can give me the reason that the rock marked '2' casts a shadow and the playhouse does not i'd be very interested to hear.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 01.05.16 15:00

I think you are having a laugh.

Been here before?

BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Post by maff2016 on 01.05.16 15:09

I think the forum has perhaps mistaken me for someone else, like I said my field is not photograhy. My field is phonetic sciences and voice stress analysis which you may be interested in later on in some of my posts. Mr Tony Bennett will verify this if you ask him. I'm not another forum member who came here to reinforce some sort of theory which I think you are implying. The photography thing is just a simple observation I made about parallel shadows. Thankyou.

maff2016

Back to top Go down

Post by kaz on 01.05.16 16:38

I think it's really suspicious how some posters can be so odiously rude to other members without censure. I thought this was an area for debate to which all members can contribute without ridicule . I'm just uneasy that this  ridicule is being used as an intimidatory  tool to prohibit further  discussion.  Or maybe certain members just suffer from frequent  indigestion ?  Surely all points of view are relevant whether we  subscribe to them or not.

kaz

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrocket on 01.05.16 17:42

@kaz - exactly. The 'forum monitors' card seems to being overplayed somewhat at the moment! thumbsup
skyrocket

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 01.05.16 18:05

@kaz wrote:I think it's really suspicious how some posters can be so odiously rude to other members without censure. I thought this was an area for debate to which all members can contribute without ridicule . I'm just uneasy that this  ridicule is being used as an intimidatory  tool to prohibit further  discussion.  Or maybe certain members just suffer from frequent  indigestion ?  Surely all points of view are relevant whether we  subscribe to them or not.
Nobody is being intimidated.

Stay on topic, please.

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 01.05.16 19:28

@skyrocket wrote:@kaz - exactly. The 'forum monitors' card seems to being overplayed somewhat at the moment! thumbsup
Clarence recently said that's what happening.

Now... if you're going to post about the McCanns then it needs to be reasoned, rational and not easy ammunition for the forum monitors and the media.

If you post something that doesn't stack up (like the shadows in the picture) then expect to be challenged.

I think it's good that we are seen as reasoned critical thinkers and not like people on the David Icke forum.

Don't you?
BlueBag

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum