The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Mm11

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Mm11

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Regist10

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Empty Re: Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage

Post by maebee 07.04.16 0:33

Madeleine vanished

It's taken nine years for "abducted" to have become "vanished". We're getting there.
maebee
maebee
Madeleine Foundation

Activity : 682

Back to top Go down

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Empty Re: Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage

Post by Liz Eagles 07.04.16 13:09

A BBC News article released today worth mulling over. I don't know what to think of it right now.

Angela Wrightson murder: How the media fought to report the case
By Colin George BBC News Online

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-35977100
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory 07.04.16 17:08

Verdi wrote:

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Gerryusa5

"No seriously, Dr Amaral was this close to nailing the case"
Mrs
Rogue-a-Tory
Rogue-a-Tory

Activity : 1115

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 07.04.16 20:06

Rogue-a-Tory wrote:
Verdi wrote:

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Gerryusa5

"No seriously, Dr Amaral was this close to nailing the case"
Mrs
laugh  Brilliant!

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Activity : 42327

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 07.04.16 20:13

Listen very carefully, I shall say 'zis only once..

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 En_0125_Rewind_ClintonLewinsky   

I did not have sexual relations with that woman....

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 News-graphics-2007-_649572a

The suggestion that Kate is involved in Madeleine's disappearance is ludicrous. Anyone who knows anything about the 3rd May knows that Kate is completely innocent....

? ? ?

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum 07.04.16 20:36

Hobs- why is it ''Anyone who knows anything about the 3rd May knows that Kate is completely innocent....'' please...
worriedmum
worriedmum

Activity : 2819

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 07.04.16 20:38

At the risk of being repetitive, I still can't reconcile this good press/bad press situation that has been ever prevalent over the years.  Clarence Mitchell was said to have been seconded by the UK government to assist with the media storm that was brewing following Madeleine's disappearance - the media storm created by the McCanns themselves, aided and abetted by the elected representatives.  Despite his intrusive official presence, still the McCanns were subjected to negative publicity in addition to positive coverage.  Prior to Mitchell's resignation from the Media Monitoring Unit in preparation for a more lucrative career as personal spokesman come close friend to the McCanns, there was one Justine McGuinnes, who was equally vocal as to the parents total innocence, along with their entourage of faithful adherent.  You know - the wealthy powerful lot who knew instantly that the McCanns were totally innocent.

As can be seen from this ancient Guardian (snort!) article - 'To implicate them is ridiculous' - 7th September 2007

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2007/sep/07/ukcrime.madeleinemccann1

Indeed, so ridiculous that two days later, the 9th September 2007 only 48 hours after being declared arguidos, they were winging their way back to the UK.

One good thing to come out of all this...

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Gerry
is that there is so much in the press, nobody knows what is true, and what isn't...

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by petunia 07.04.16 21:21

The years have taken there toll on them both to say they are been "protected"they both look old and haggard,Gerry hasn't been seen since crimewatch so what's made him come out now? his appearance on TV would of been rolling news for hours on end a few years ago,some of the media took the the time to call him a hypocrite  high5 high5 online but forgot to put it on the front pages of their papers today why?
petunia

Activity : 607

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 07.04.16 23:32

petunia wrote:The years have taken there toll on them both to say they are been "protected"they both look old and haggard,Gerry hasn't been seen since crimewatch so what's made him come out now? his appearance on TV would of been rolling news for hours on end a few years ago,some of the media took the the time to call him a hypocrite  high5 high5 online but forgot to put it on the front pages of their papers today why?
The Daily Mail didn't mention it at all. I find that very odd.  Is it something to do with the Katie Hopkins'article or can they just not be ar*** with Gerry and his ramblings?  I have been giving BBC interview a lot of thought today and it just doesn't make sense why he would be baiting DC when he has bent over backwards to accommodate their requests.  It makes me wonder if when he talks about being let down and DC's  promises to the victims , he means just himself and Kate.  Is time running out because the result of the appeal is getting ever closer and DC is deliberately dragging his heels ?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 08.04.16 6:23

Courtesy of CMOMM member, 'tigger' from her blog: http://fytton.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/the-press-and-mccanns.html

Wednesday, 13 May 2015

THE PRESS AND THE McCANNS

From: ‘The Establishment: and how they get away with it’ 

by Owen Jones Published by Penguin 1 March 2015

(Lord Bell is commenting on the ‘Hacked Off’ campaign. )
‘Attempts to scrutinize the Murdoch empire were fiercely resisted by its allies in the British elite, who contrived to say they didn’t understand what the fuss was about. ‘I don’t want to know what happened to the Dowler family, and I’m very sorry, but honestly I can’t get into a state about it, says Lord Bell, Thatcher’s former advisor, chairman of PR giant Bell Pottinger, and a close ally of the Murdoch empire. He has long given Rupert Murdoch PR advice, and advised Rebekah Brooks during the phone-hacking scandal. ‘And I’m really not interested in what the McCanns think, because the McCanns paid me £ 500,000 in fees to keep them on the front page of every single newspaper for a year, which we did.’
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leveson Enquiry 31/1/2012 the Press Complaints Commission
Sir Christopher Meyer:  ‘What I said to Gerry McCann when I first saw him was that this is what the PCC can do for you, this is how we can help. If you want damages, if it comes to that, we do not do money. The courts do money, so you’re going to have to make a choice’ 
Mr. Jay: To be clear about that, when did you say that to Dr. McCann? 
Sir Christopher Meyer: In July of 2007.
Mr. Jay:  And the circumstances were what? Was it a meeting? 
Sir Christopher Meyer: At my house. 
Mr. Jay: [..] Between September 2007 and January 2008, there were 38 defamatory articles in the Express Newspaper group’s publications.[..] Did the PCC do anything at all during that period? 
Sir Christopher Meyer: We did a lot. We were in pretty close contact with the press handlers of the McCanns. [..] ..you can’t be more royalist than the king on these matters. You cannot wish to stop something more ardently than the first party. But by that time I think they had chosen to go to law. [..] But I have to say to you - this is so important - we’d made particular efforts with the McCanns to make ourselves available. Within 48 hours of Madeleine McCann disappearing, we informed them through the British embassy in Lisbon that we stood ready.  [...] I go back to this again: you can’t wish for something more than the first party themselves, and I think Dr. McCann has expressed rather well the complexity of the situation in which he found himself. He needed the press, but he didn’t need those articles. He had professional handlers and I can’t say more than that. 
But on the 25th August 2007 the PCC got no mention - TM was still alone in the wilderness it appears.  Perhaps that was because Sir Christopher Meyer had already told him they didn’t do money? In July of 2007 -  GM was in the UK at that time.
BBC Edinburgh :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v+U88W_bAvgDI
Nick: ‘Gerry McCann, why did you want to come here to a conference of television executives?’ 
GM: ‘[..] what I didn’t expect was such an intense coverage of the news story for such a long time.’ [..] ..what we really just want to do .. I mean we hope it never gets there but if Madeleine is still missing we just want to remind people from time to time, infrequently now that she is still missing and we’re still looking.’ 
Nick: ‘From the outside it appears that you’ve been running... candidly, crudely a very professional campaign with a lot of very experienced public relations professionals and so on .. (Gerry is grinning at this point) I mean clearly that is accidental but how did that come about?’ 
GM: ‘Well it’s not at all, you know we’re just err happen to be a fairly ordinary family  err some of whom were quite good at err speaking on television. Of course, we had advice at the beginning from the PR people brought in by Mark Warner [...] and then due to this massive media demand on us - not the other way round - not us asking for media we were advised that we should have a family spokesperson and we asked the Foreign Office to provide that  [...]  and then of course we did decide that we needed someone to help advise us err longer term for our campaign and with madeleine’s Fund we decided to appoint a campaign manager.. [..] I think the key thing is that erm what we would ask that the, the story Madeleine’s disappearance and investigation is reported responsibly and only newsworthy material being reported.’ 
Nick: So you would like much less coverage.’ 
GM: ‘Absolutely, you know because there has been huge amounts written with no substance. 
Here again,  just like Sir Christopher, it seems Nick is on the ball. He can recognise a professional campaign when he sees one. Gerry tells him they weren’t asking for media, what comes across is the urgent need to control what is printed. What appears to be rather less urgent is finding Madeleine as it will now be enough to remind people from time to time, ‘infrequently now that she’s still missing’  does not strike me as an urgent appeal to find his daughter.  
----------------------------------------------------
The Leveson Enquiry: Gerald Patrick McCann - 30-10-2011:
www.mccannfiles.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/witnessstatementofgerrymccann.pdf
What followed was a sustained, inaccurate and malicious series of headlines in a number of papers which gave the impression that we were in some way responsible for or involved in Madeleine’s disappearance. 
[..] Daily Mail a journalist called David Jones, who I had never met felt it appropriate to write an article with the sub heading ‘ I pray the Portuguese police are careering down the wrong track, but from the start, a terrible nagging doubt has refused to leave me.’ .
[..] Associated Newspapers had also published a number of very serious allegations. ..
The complaint was resolved with the payment of a substantial donation to be used in the search for Madeleine... [..] 
[..] had it not been for the availability of a Conditional Fee Agreement, it would have been very difficult - if not impossible - for Kate and I to have brought the complaint as we do not have the resources to take on large media organisations in this way. 
[..] we agreed to an interview with HELLO! to publicise this campaign (Amber alert).
When the NotW editor, Colin Myler, found out about our interview with HELLO! he telephoned me direct.[..] The NotW had very generously raised a £ 1.5m reward. [..]It also sadly highlighted that any help given to help Find Madeleine was conditional. 
In the end we were made to feel so guilty that we agreed to give an interview to the NotW despite not really wanting to do so. At the time we did not want to upset the NotW and wanted to keep them onside for Madeleine’s sake. {..] an article by NotW columnist Carole Malone also featured in the paper under the heading ‘I wept for Kate but I still blame her.’
The advice we had from our lawyers was that the press would not consider an adjudication from the PCC to be a deterrent. We were advised, and this was confirmed by Sir Christopher, that an effective remedy to prevent further damaging articles could only be achieved through the Courts and that the PCC were essentially powerless in stopping the Press pre-publication. [..]
One of those we met was Rebekah Brooks who was very persuasive. [..] Rebekah said that she would actively assist us in seeking a review and set out various ideas of how The Sun could help. It was this campaign [..] that persuaded us to agree to serialised extracts of kate’s book being published in The Sun and The Sunday Times. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
After the publication of the diary : The NotW agreed to publish an apology to Kate and to pay a financial donation to further the search for Madeleine. (£ 125,000,- - http://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/dec/17/news-of-world-mccanns-payment)  Express paid £ 550,000.- Associated Newspapers paid £ 375,000.- to Tapas friends who passed the money to TM. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Libel trial McCann v Gonçalo Amaral - Day 4 Witness No1
20.09.2013 10am.    Michael Wright 

[..]. He says there always was activity on the internet (e-mails...) but they became very subdued.
ID - What does "negative e-mail" mean?
MW says it refers to all sorts of conspiracy theories that appeared on various forums.
ID - asks if the witness can name some of these forums.
MW The 3 Arguidos and Madeleine Foundation. He says Tony Bennett invited Gonçalo Amaral to do conferences in the UK. These forums were full of speculation focused on GA's conclusions. People said those conclusions must be true because GA had been in charge of the initial investigation.
ID - When?
MW – Activity was increased and heavy in March/April 2009.
ID - Did the McCanns learn about these forums? How?
MW They learned through me, the family members who monitored the activity and their support group. [...(threats to kidnap twins)]..
MW thinks the 3A doesn't exist anymore. He says the McCanns took action against this threat and against the Madeleine Foundation. The main page of MF had the 5 conclusions.
ID asks whether he has a copy.
MW says he has screen shots. He adds he had to tell his cousins about the threats. They reported them to the UK police (Leicestershire Police). He was visited by a police officer on the matter.
ID - Was a process formally investigated?
MW had only one contact with the police. He doesn't know what happened afterwards.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To sum up:   
5th May 2007, the PCC contacts TM offering their help.  Team McCann get a free spokesman from the F.O.  and pay for a campaign manager out of the Fund. 

July 2007 GM visits Sir Christopher Meyer and is informed that the PCC does not do money. One may assume this is an answer to a question. 
In the Leveson enquiry Sir Christopher states that they cannot act for someone who isn’t willing to start the process rolling. Also that they don’t do money. 

August 2007  - bear in mind the dogs have been and gone - GM attends a media conference in Edinburgh and tells us that what is lacking is control of content and he wants much less coverage. 

In the Leveson Enquiry he appears to have misunderstood Sir Christopher who apparently now is the person who advised him to go to the courts. Whereas it is clear from Sir Christopher’s statement that he could have helped but this help was not what GM wanted. 

The two quotes from the press in his statement are hardly sensational headlines. One journalist feeling sorry for Kate but still blaming her and the other having a nagging doubt which he hopes will go away. Why quote these two when there were many far more accusative headlines?

Finally we have Michael Wright who speaks of negative emails and a support group who are monitoring the internet. He mentions the threats in some detail but appears to know nothing about actions or non actions taken by the police. Surely he would have known if action had been taken by his cousins? 

Finally, since Bell Pottinger were on the job virtually the day after 3/5/07, I would think that it was in the early days that the agreement with the PR giant was made to keep the McCanns in the press for a year.

Jill Havern
Jill Havern
Forum Owner & Chief Faffer

Activity : 40917

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 08.04.16 6:25

Posted by 'tigger' on her blog: http://fytton.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/pr-press-and-leveson.html

PR - PRESS and LEVESON

Starting with  PR:

Hanover Website

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 9k=

(McCann Family

We helped the McCann family deal with the media storm which surrounded them on their return from Portugal in September 2007. From scratch, we created a comprehensive media handling package within six hours which enabled us to handle 850 media calls in the first week. By giving journalists positive stories to report, coverage turned from hostility to the McCanns to sympathy about their ordeal. This campaign won the crisis communication category at the 2008 CIPR awards.)

From PR WEEK

‘Hanover calls time on McCanns’ November 21, 2007 by Hannah Marriott

Hanover Communications has stopped working with the McCann family. The agency said the move ‘reflects a decrease in international press interest’ following the six-month anniversary of Madeleine McCann’s disappearance.

Hanover, headed by MD Charles Lewington, was hired to run a UK press office two months ago (20 September 2007).
All media enquiries are now going through the family’s spokesman, Clarence Mitchell, a former BBC journalist.

Mitchell was temporarily appointed spokesman to the McCanns by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in May (PRWeek, 24 May 2007). Sheree Dodd and Justine McGuiness have also worked temporarily in the position.

Mitchell later quit his government position to lead the McCanns’ comms on a permanent basis.

Mitchell said: ‘Without the support of Hanover we simply would not have been able to cope with the level of international press interest.’ Unquote

And from:  https://www.blogger.com/blogin.g?blogspotURL=http://ben-fairhall.blogspot.nl/2007/09/few-days-in-september.html

Ten hours after being driven away from the police station in Portimao, Gerry and his family are boarding Easyjet flight EZY6552  [..]  Although no formal bail conditions are imposed, the right to leave is set upon the condition that they return to Portugal for further questioning if necessary. 

Hinting that they may not be true to their word, is the decision to retain the services of Michael Caplan Q.C [..] specializes in international law and represented the former  Chilean dictator General Augusto Pinochet when Spain tried to extradite him from the UK in 1999.

[..] On September 13th, a source close to the family is quoted saying: ‘We need to rectify the PR and the fightback needs to start and it needs to start now.’ The Guardian reveals that Phil Hall, the former editor of the News of the World, is on amongst a number of high-profile figures consulted by the McCanns, ‘with a view to managing the global interest in their case.’Hanover Communications – [..] begins handling calls.

The Daily Mirror for September 14th leads on 'KATE & GERRY... their story!', betwixt photographs of a seven-year old Kate at her first Holy Communion, and a bright-eyed Gerry in his football kit, former captain of Napier City Rovers FC. Gushing tributes are elicited from an impressively large array of family and friends: '... a beautiful, lovely, sensitive person' is how Dr Paul McIntyre describes Kate, one of the more restrained contributions. A former Napier City teammate calls Gerry 'a really nice bloke' who made 'a huge impression on the team.' When Madeleine was born, 'she was close to the perfect child... We have never seen Kate and Gerry as happy as they were that day.' (The last from 'friend Alan Grieves.') The September 17th edition leads on a smiling Kate McCann, and the headline: 'WE'LL BLOW THE POLICE CASE OUT OF THE WATER', one of several articles derogating the Portuguese investigation and casting doubt on the FSS results. In the Daily Mail, Alison Pearson describes as 'not just revolting... [but] surreal' the notion that Kate could have been responsible for Madeleine's death; to Dominic Lawson in The Independent, she is a victim of 'a peculiar kind of emotional tyranny... who has denied the mob its vicarious pleasure.' Jane Moore, columnist for The Sun, condemned the 'smoke and mirror tactics' of the Portuguese police, described as 'chronically inefficient' and 'under horrendous pressure to deliver' by the Mirror's Brian Reade.

Unquote

I would also recommend  https://www.byline.com/column/2/article/542 For further insights in the methods of the press.

Despite all the above efforts we now find the Drs. McCann at the Leveson inquiry complaining about the press : (all quotes below are copied from the transcripts)

http://www.levesoninquiry.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Transcript-of-Afternoon-Hearing-23-November-20111.txt

Just  to note the fact that the McCanns were both sworn in:

2. Mr. Jay: The next witnesses are Dr. and Dr. McCann, please.

3. Dr. Gerald Patrick McCann and Dr. Kate Marie McCann (sworn)

Mr. Jay: ‘I know each of you would like your counsel to ask a few preliminary questions. Before he does so formally, can I invite you to confirm the contents of your respective witness statements.  You, Dr. Geral d McCann, there’s a statement dated 30 October and there’s a statement of truth at the end of it, it that correct?

Mr. McCann: ‘It is’.

Mr. Jay: And then Dr. Kate McCann, a far more recent statement referring to your husband’s statement and again with a statement of truth dated 22 November; is that right?

Mrs. McCann: ‘That’s right.’

Questions to Mr. McCann:

Q:  You tell us in your witness statement that a photograph was made immediately available, provided to the broadcast media and to the press, and was as it were, displayed everywhere. Is that correct?

A: There’s two elements to that. The first element was what we were doing on the night and obviously we had digital cameras and we were trying to get photographs printed of Madeleine from the holiday.

Q: Yes

A: To give to the police, but secondly, a very good friend of ours who we spoke to in the early hours of 4 May took upon himself to issue photographs of Madeleine to all the major media outlets in the UK.  unquote

Between  02.53 and 06.59 on the 4th of May some 25 calls are logged to and from Jon Corner,  the good friend who ‘took  it upon himself to issue photographs of Madeleine to all the major media outlets’.  One may surely expect  that  the decision taken to alert all the news channels was discussed during these calls, which incidentally, were all made to and from Kate’s mobile.

It is also a fact that only one camera was mentioned in earlier statements and  not a single holiday photograph of Madeleine – if they existed at all -  was used, instead a picture of Madeleine as a toddler aged little more than two years old was handed to the Policia Judiciare.

(See for questions regarding holiday photos The First Photo and the Socratic questioning of the Last Photo).

Q:  You deal with two further matters, perhaps less serious than this, because what you’ve told us of course is a plain breach of the code, that we may come to in due course.
There was a photograph of you, Dr. Gerald McCann, on the golf course, which obviously is a private place, and then the distortion of photographs of you, Dr. Kate McCann, to present, o doubt, a certain image. Often coupled with the adjectives ‘frail’ or ‘fragile’, which you’ve told us about. In terms of the effect on you, you described it and of course it will be obvious to us, but looking more broadly, the effect on the continuing investigation, which after all is your primary focus then,  as it is now, are you able to quantify that for us and describe it?

Mr. McCann:

A: Well, I think from – reputational aspects aside, the distress that was caused to us was the clear message that was going out nationally throughout Europe and internationally was that there was  very strong  evidence that our daughter was dead and that we were somehow implicated in her disappearance, and we knew that if people believed that, then there couldn’t be a meaningful search, and it was incredible. And any aspects of campaigning for a search with what happened to us and how it was portrayed  in the media meant we were completely hamstrung in our ability to counter anything.

Mrs. McCann:

These were desperate times. You know, we were having to try and find our daughter ourselves.  We needed all the help we could get, and we were faced with – I know we’ll come on to headlines, but ‘Corpse in the car’, I don’t know how many times I read ‘Body fluids in the car’, And it gets repeated that often, it becomes fact. There were no body fluids.

This needs very little comment other than to point out that the blood dog, which had a record of 100% correct alerts in all cases in which she had been deployed, alerted to blood. The body fluids found were so degenerated that it was not possible to determine whether it was blood or another bodily fluid. Quite simple. There were body fluids in the car, Mrs. M.

In that sense, forensic examinations were performed in the areas and on the objects that were marked and signalled by the blood dog[..], that is to say that cellular material was collected, which was nevertheless not identified as belonging to a specific person, and it was not even possible to establish said material's quality (namely if it could be blood or another type of bodily fluid).

Q:  You tell us in your statement a series of steps which were taken to try and abate this flood. Can I try and summarise it in this  way?  First of all, a meeting is organized with the editors of the major UK tabloid newspapers. That’s in September 2007, when a clear  message was put out to them, and you tell us that had a transient effect. It’s paragraph 53 of your witness statement.

A: (Mr.McCann) Sure. I think there’s two elements. Within the first week of being back, we had appointed solicitors, Kingsley Napley,  and Angus McBride,  who is one of the solicitors who represented us at that time, he thought it was very important that he would – we should try and modify the content of the press articles, and he went with Justine McGuinness, who was campaign manager at that point, and met with all the editors from the major newspapers and emphasized to them that it was his strong belief that there was no evidence to support what they were reporting. But it seemed to have very little effect.

In fact I think Kingsley Napley then pressurized Leicestershire police to write to the broadcasters and editors and there’s a letter from Matt Baggott, who was Chief Constable at that time, urging restraint and saying there was very inaccurate reporting.

We organized another round of meetings with Angus and Clarence, who then came back to work for us later on in September 2007, and that was followed up with another leter from the Chief Constable, I think on 17 October. 
Unquote

I do feel that calling  Kingsley Napley solicitors is a little misleading.Seeing that a senior partner -  a Q.C  who had managed to keep  an erstwhile dictator from being extradited to Spain, Michael Caplan, had been retained by the McCanns.  It is also of interest to know that the Portuguese lawyer employed by the McCanns is not a specialist in civil litigation but rather in criminal process, and the McCanns retained his services a mere week before they were made arguidos.

http://fytton.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/pr-press-and-leveson.html

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by hogwash 08.04.16 9:47

Friday, 8 April 2016

Six months to find Maddie?

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Lamb

The Express, April 3rd 2016 wrote the headline “Six months to find Maddie: Scotland Yard set to GIVE UP on hunt for missing girl”, but a closer look at the article suggests it’s a repeat of last year’s guesswork.

What the Home Office spokeswoman is quoted as saying:

“Following a request from the Metropolitan Police Service, we have agreed to provide nearly £95 thousand funding which will cover the first half of the 2016/17 financial year.”

Nothing about a final cut-off date.

What follows is the opinion of Express journalists James Murray and Tracey Kandohia.

“Once the money runs out in the autumn, Scotland Yard will almost certainly shelve Operation Grange.”

Not “definitely” or even “certainly” but an “almost certainly”. Just a guess. Just like the guess reported in Sept 19th 2015 – “Six months to find Maddie: Police get £2 million to solve mystery” – which proved to be wrong.

Basically the same headline by the same reporter, Tracey Kandohia (or is it Kandohla?). In 2015 she wrote the article with David Pilditch, in 2016 with James Murray.

When we heard the news, we first considered whether this time scale was given to put pressure on the Portuguese Judges hearing Mr Amaral’s appeal; the message being – “We can afford to wait until the appeal is decided before we announce our findings.”

But on reconsidering, the opinion of journalists who have got it wrong so recently can’t be relied upon and there is no cut-off point.

And who has stated Operation Grange will certainly be shelved? The same journalists.

We can all make guesses and assumptions and we do, but we’re not the press. We don’t have access to the sources quoted and we don’t have the ability of the press to manipulate readers into believing that what they read has been stated by a reliable source.

Time is not a friend in this ongoing saga. Each year brings lots of hidden secrets to both main stream and social media. Whether it concerns the private behaviour of a Minister and a dominatrix, or the hidden tax arrangements of the rich and powerful leaked by the Panama Papers, it may remind those engaged in covering up secrets that their days may also be numbered. It could only be a matter of time.

We have already stated that we don’t believe a whitewash is now possible and that the only outcomes can be truth or archival. Who wants to be part of a cover-up that could emerge at any time and leave them totally exposed? All it takes is one person to admit to a lie in a chain of lies and watch the house of cards topple as the underpinning card is removed.

People in power don’t remain there forever and alliances can change. Each change of government means more people become burdened with the knowledge of what really happened. The general public mood also seems to have shifted away from sympathy for the family.

As a sidenote, one has to wonder why it was needed £2 million for Operation Grange to function from October 2015 to April 2016 when apparently can do the same with less than 5% of that amount, £95K, for the same amount of time, 6 months.

So why the repeat of this 6 month timeline given and the £95k associated with it?

The reason, in our opinion is very simple and very straightforward: UK is saying they won’t make a decision before the Portuguese courts settle the issue in Lisbon. Not pressure but resignation.

In September 2015, it was thought that by April this year a decision would have been taken. Who didn’t? And not only was it thought that it would happen as it was thought that April would give sufficient margin for UK to react after said decision.

But it is the Portuguese justice system (PJS) that we are dealing with.

It’s April 2016 and we’re still waiting. We have in the blog reacted against unfounded accusations of corruption and incompetence made against the PJS but we have agreed, and reiterate our agreement that the PJS is not only incompetent but very much so, when it comes to deliverance.

Justice delayed is justice denied and the PJS is completely denying both Mr Amaral and the McCanns justice.

The Portuguese law does give any time limit for the investigative phase of a process apart from the times in which the crime legally prescribes.

But as an example, it was recently determined that the accusation against José Sócrates should (not must) be made before Sept 15 this year.

José Sócrates was arrested on Nov 21 2014, under a process called “Operação Marquês” which PJ officially opened on July 19 2013 after having received, as determined by law, in April that year information about some  bank account movements between him, his friend Carlos Santos Silva and his mother.

It was said then in the news that the case involved the laundering of an approximate amount of 23M€ and since his arrest, the investigation has apparently also turned to a real estate deal in the Quinta do Lago, Algarve, estimated at over 10M€.

We do not wish to pronounce any sort of judgement on the José Sócrates case, we are just trying to establish within the PJS a parallel between a case of such magnitude, complexity and visibility and the Maddie case.

One involving the former PM of Portugal and millions of euros, the other the daughter of a couple of doctors from Rothley, England.

One opened in July 2013, with a series of arrests in November 2014 and is now in 2016 being determined that enough is enough and things must be concluded by September while the other was opened in May 2007, archived in 2008 after a thorough investigation and reopened in October 2013 and is ongoing since then without anyone complaining that it should be concluded by any sort of date.

To note that since the Maddie case was reopened, apart from Euclides Monteiro right at the start, we know not of any other single diligence that this operation has done. All the visible ones in which the PJ participated were from Scotland Yard: the June 2014 Praia da Luz circus and the hearings in the PJ facilities in Faro, in July and December that same year.

So why an enough is enough on a highly complex case like José Sócrates in contrast with a please do take as long as you like with the Maddie one?

The answer we think is simple: neither Operation Grange nor whatever the PJ one concerning Maddie is called are simply police operations. Both are police facades for political decisions to be made by politicians.

Neither know what conclusions they will come to not because of evidence they have or haven’t found but because both are waiting to be told what conclusions each will reach.

Operation Grange was the disastrous jumping of the gun after the erroneous thought of 2010/2011 that the McCanns were easy fish to reel in, and the PJ operation was conceding to the compromise by the UK that they were going to quickly do something decisive about the case.

That was at the end of 2013 and 30 months later one cannot say that the UK has failed in that compromise.

The UK has simply been foiled by the PJS, if people around then remember, they promised a decision for the McCann v Amaral damages trial for… October 2013. The sessions would be in September, the decision in October, so said the PJS and the UK apparently believed it.

It’s April 2016, and patiently, or should we say exasperatedly, the UK has just announced that Operation Grange will continue at least for another 6 months and if, God forbid, by October we still don’t have a court decision then please be ready for another extension.

Can it be assumed that £95k is unlikely to pay for anything other than staff wages and associated costs. No further trips to Portugal, just processing the paperwork?  The request for continued funding was made by the MPS and a further request is still a possibility for those waiting for an end to their misery.

Let’s hope, as it will be at the end of this month 1 year after the First Instance court decision, that October 2016 will allow for this decision and whatever time the UK needs to react, in whichever way (in our opinion truth or archival) it intends to react.

We are aware that tragedy and sadness has affected the lives of some of the friends and relatives of those who were on holiday in Praia da Luz in 2007.  People who haven’t been named and we don’t intend to name. We don’t believe in karma, so no suggestion of that, nor of anything sinister- just death as it happens around all of us. It makes some take stock of their own lives and what they have- or haven’t- done and what they would prefer to keep from their children.  As this case drags on, there must be some on the periphery who regret what they did, even if with the best of intentions.

Each delay must cause their hearts to sink, wondering when it will all be over.

But where does Gerry’s latest stunt fit in this scheme of things?

It was meant to pressure the closure while the McCanns hold the upper hand in the Lisbon affairs. The sentence as it stands is still in their favour and it would be ideal for the other side for things to be archived now before a possible unfavourable emerges from Lisbon.

The government saying we will continue, the other side saying Cameron you’re a traitor.

Yes, it’s a feeble card but what else do they have to play?

And it’s desperate, because they are even turning against the press and the press has reacted. Note how for the press it’s just the McCanns and no longer Mr McCann or Gerry. Note how Gerry was called, explicitly, a hypocrite.

Note the comments allowed. Note how Katie Hopkins was allowed to taunt and invite Gerry over.

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Grilled

And the use of the expressions like “grilled” and “slammed” as in what Gerry had been supposedly subject to on BBC. 

The tables have changed. Now it seems that we’re in a fairground game where in which the more one hits the McCanns the more likely one is to win a teddy bear. Times we predicted a long time ago would be coming, much like those we are predicting now when we say truth will surface sooner or later if archival is to be the option chosen.

The difference between the truth emerging sooner or later is that if it’s sooner then the participants can still do some sort of damage control while if later they will simply be mere bystanders reading what will be written about them and what was their participation in this sordid affair.

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Blink

Gerry, a hyperblinking and worn out man, didn’t minimally appear to believe in what he was saying. Much more like a helpless lamb forced to wait for the slaughter than the protester of anything.

For us, it was a positive episode to which the only relevance we give was the fact the BBC was used. The power of the other side on this matter is waning but can never be underestimated.

We cannot help but notice that with the Panama Papers and the upcoming Brexit referendum the pressure on David Cameron is increasing significantly. A major revelation in the Maddie case could make it seem that his intervention had helped to crack the case. 
http://textusa.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/six-months-to-find-maddie.html
hogwash
hogwash

Activity : 472

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.04.16 12:03

When it comes to the McCanns media support network, invariably the same names feature prominently.  Good old Clarence might have his grubby little fingers in a few dodgy pies but he can't control the entire media network - even as government media monitoring guru, there must be limitations as regards power over the media.  The press all have an allegiance to governmental representatives be they right, left or somewhere down the middle, although the McCanns primary support stems from Murdoch's world and a few comfy sofa regulars like Tracey and Fiona and the other one who's name escapes me.

Ask Gerry McCann - sure he keeps his beady eyes on the status quo - or should that be trio?  big grin

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.04.16 12:25

petunia wrote:The years have taken there toll on them both to say they are been "protected"they both look old and haggard,Gerry hasn't been seen since crimewatch so what's made him come out now? his appearance on TV would of been rolling news for hours on end a few years ago,some of the media took the the time to call him a hypocrite  high5 high5 online but forgot to put it on the front pages of their papers today why?
In fairness, they are nine years older than when they made their debut, you'd be damn lucky to escape the passage of time without showing signs of wear and tear - even your old Levi's have to be laid to rest at some stage.  If you see somebody regularly you don't notice the aging process so much, see somebody again after a few years then the difference is very noticeable.  Look at Sir Cliff 'kittie' Richard - if you must.

The McCanns media presence has always been staged, this performance not only involves careful scripting but also their appearance.  The masters of their craft, the crew behind the scenes like lighting, wardrobe and make-up, all play a significant role in any media production - the McCanns are no exception.  This latest blitz is an entirely different entity to the joint efforts promoting brand McCann over the past years.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.04.16 12:39

Over the years they've had a heck of a lot of help controlling the media by the big guns of PR haven't they, yet still they're subjected to negative press.

Two totally innocent UK professionals, the victims of child abduction - their own precious little three year old daughter?  Makes you wonder why so much high powered wealthy support is required - what ever happened to good old fashioned policing?

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Jill Havern 08.04.16 20:21

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Neil210

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Neil10

https://twitter.com/neilwallis1

I wonder how many other newspaper editors think Gerry McCann talks nonsense?

Jill Havern
Jill Havern

Back to top Go down

Post by MRNOODLES 08.04.16 23:32

I wonder how many other newspaper editors think Gerry McCann talks nonsense?
Well, unless I'm reading it wrong.  Quite a few more since he opened his gob on Breakfast TV.  Put it this way, the media has had to be nice to them, then he turns around and in effect kicks them in the bollocks.
MRNOODLES
MRNOODLES

Activity : 1059

Back to top Go down

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Empty Re press intrusion

Post by Roxyroo 08.04.16 23:32

I.m new here so I apologise if this has been mentioned before but has anybody thought that by keeping the story on front pages for a year it made it very convenient for TPTB to have a years worth of days to "bury any bad news"?? Very much like the comments made in emails by (can't remember) in the government at time of 9/11 attacks. All IMO

Activity : 727

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.04.16 23:36

@Get'emGoncalo:  I wonder how many other newspaper editors think Gerry McCann talks nonsense?

The whole lot of them I strongly suspect but what care they when prostituting false information in return for political favours and profit.  Wikipedia entry for McCann v. Express Group..

Madeleine McCann

In the second half of 2007 the Daily Express gave a large amount of coverage to the disappearance of Madeleine McCann. From 3 August 2007, the Express dedicated at least part of the next 100 front pages to Madeleine in a run that lasted until 10 November 2007. 82 of these 100 front page articles used the headline to feature the details of the disappearance (often stylised by "MADELEINE" in red block capitals, plus a picture of the child).

Though the family initially said that some journalists may have "overstepped their mark" they acknowledged the benefits in keeping the case in the public eye, but argued that the coverage needed to be toned down since daily headlines are not necessarily helpful.  However, in March 2008, the McCanns launched a libel suit against the Daily Express and its sister newspaper, the Daily Star, as well as their Sunday equivalents, following the newspapers' coverage of the case. The action concerned more than 100 stories across the four newspapers, which accused the McCanns of causing their daughter's death and covering it up.   One immediate consequence of the action was that Express Newspapers pulled all references to Madeleine from its websites.

In a settlement reached at the High Court of Justice, the newspapers agreed to run a front-page apology to the McCanns on 19 March 2008, publish another apology on the front pages of the Sunday editions of 23 March and make a statement of apology at the High Court. The newspapers also agreed to pay costs and substantial damages, which the McCanns said they would use to fund the search for their daughter.   Guardian media commentator Roy Greenslade said it was "unprecedented" for four major newspapers to offer front-page apologies, but also said that it was more than warranted given that the papers had committed "a substantial libel" that shamed the entire British press.  Craig Silverman of Regret the Error, a blog that reports media errors, argued that given how many of the stories appeared on the front page, anything less than a front page apology would have been "unacceptable."

In its apology, the Express stated that "a number of articles in the newspaper have suggested that the couple caused the death of their missing daughter Madeleine and then covered it up. We acknowledge that there is no evidence whatsoever to support this theory and that Kate and Gerry are completely innocent of any involvement in their daughter's disappearance."  This was followed in October by an apology and payout (forwarded to the fund again) to a group who had become known as the "Tapas Seven" in relation to the case.
----------

Far be it for me to suggest that a global joint front page apology by all the tabloids, should be published to acknowledge the infamous way they treated Mr. Amaral.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 08.04.16 23:42

Roxyroo wrote:I.m new here so I apologise if this has been mentioned before but has anybody thought that by keeping the story on front pages for a year it made it very convenient for TPTB to have a years worth of days to "bury any bad news"?? Very much like the comments made in emails by (can't remember) in the government at time of 9/11 attacks. All IMO
Yes, it has been suggested before now.  I don't buy it - the only thing they are trying to bury in my opinion is the truth behind the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Post by noddy100 09.04.16 11:44

I wonder how tough things would have to get for Cameron in the press before he would throw them to the lions to save his own skin and bury any further reporting on his £ affairs
noddy100

Activity : 760

Back to top Go down

Press intrusion victims say Cameron's failure to keep promises is 'betrayal' - once again, Gerry McCann whinges about press coverage - Page 2 Empty Press intrusion

Post by willowthewisp 09.04.16 12:20

Gerry McCann feels as the Prime Minister Mr David Cameron has let them down over the control of the press,Leveson inquiry,Leveson pt 2 or is it something else,Operation Grange?
Mr Cameron had his arms manipulated by the Murdoch affiliation to have a "UK Police review" of the disappearance of Madeleine McCann reported 3 May 2007, then set up a review for the Metropolitan Police Service to investigate as per the "Remit",Abduction from within the UK?
The UK Government sending smoke signals to the Portugal Authorities about an extension of funding to the "Official review" in relation to the defamation case against Mr Goncalo Amaral on his theories of what happened to Madeleine,"we can also play awaiting game"?
willowthewisp
willowthewisp

Activity : 4912

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue-a-Tory 09.04.16 13:19

noddy100 wrote:I wonder how tough things would have to get for Cameron in the press before he would throw them to the lions to save his own skin and bury any further reporting on his £ affairs
The question for Call Me Dave is who else is roped to the Mcs should he through them of the rocks at PdL
Rogue-a-Tory
Rogue-a-Tory

Activity : 1115

Back to top Go down

Post by Verdi 09.04.16 23:21

noddy100 wrote:I wonder how tough things would have to get for Cameron in the press before he would throw them to the lions to save his own skin and bury any further reporting on his £ affairs
Depends how deep is the mire  winkwink !  Track record of politicians, I imagine the likes of Cameron has far more important things to worry about than clan McCann - unless of course it's part and parcel.

Now there's a thought..

ex forum manager
ex forum manager

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top