The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Ursula Presgrave, star of BBC3 Reality Show 'The Call Centre', ADMITS in court to breaking the Malicious Communications Act with a nasty tweet about disabled children - faces SIX MONTHS in jail or £5,000 MAXIMUM FINE

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The decision to charge Ursula Presgrave with a Malicious Communications offence

44% 44% 
[ 18 ]
27% 27% 
[ 11 ]
10% 10% 
[ 4 ]
7% 7% 
[ 3 ]
10% 10% 
[ 4 ]
2% 2% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 41

Ursula Presgrave, star of BBC3 Reality Show 'The Call Centre', ADMITS in court to breaking the Malicious Communications Act with a nasty tweet about disabled children - faces SIX MONTHS in jail or £5,000 MAXIMUM FINE

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.11.15 21:15

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3303457/Star-BBC-reality-TV-Call-Centre-faces-jail-posting-sick-Facebook-message-born-s-Syndrome-down.html

Undoubtedly this was a nasty and grossly offensive tweet - calling for disabled children to be killed instead of 'living life as a vegetable'.

But unlike in certain other cases, no individual was stalked, harassed or libeled - either by issuing a death threat, or publicly accusing an individual of being a paedophile or of cottaging offences in public toilets

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

Tony Bennett
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ursula Presgrave, star of BBC3 Reality Show 'The Call Centre', ADMITS in court to breaking the Malicious Communications Act with a nasty tweet about disabled children - faces SIX MONTHS in jail or £5,000 MAXIMUM FINE

Post by melisande on 04.11.15 21:44

I believe this wasn't the first time she has posted offensive comments.  Is she ignorant ? Looking for attention/notoriety? Maybe both.  I haven't seen the programme she was in but if the article is anything to go by she  sounds like she likes to be controversial with her opinions.  Another Katie Hopkins ?  I am not sure sending her to prison is the right way to go or even a fine.  How about educating her by getting her to visit centres/schools for adults/children with additional support needs.  She will then see that they are valuable members of society and not 'vegetables' as was her description.

ETA. As a parent of a child who has ASN , her comments are undoubtedly offensive and malicious.  It makes no difference imo that it was not directed at an individual.

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ursula Presgrave, star of BBC3 Reality Show 'The Call Centre', ADMITS in court to breaking the Malicious Communications Act with a nasty tweet about disabled children - faces SIX MONTHS in jail or £5,000 MAXIMUM FINE

Post by BlueBag on 05.11.15 7:00

What a ridiculous reaction to her tweet,

She's obviously ignorant of downs people.

She also thinks in her ignorance that downs people live like vegetables.

In her ignorance she thinks it would be more compassionate it they didn't live.

All wrong opinions, because she's ignorant of the facts.

But ignorance and wrong opinion is not a criminal offence.

Do we really want Thought Police?
BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Dean on 05.11.15 8:39

I agree, BlueBag.

There are many absolutely vile remarks on the Internet. All it needs is for the service provider to remove any that there are legitimate complaints about.

Sledgehammer and nut comes to mind.
Amy Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophiebubbles on 05.11.15 9:09

Monitoring of Twitter could help save distress to others especially on topics of this nature as unfortunately there are very ignorant people who as in this case know nothing about which they speak/tweet.

I do think there is a huge difference between being uneducated/ignorant and intentionally malicious .....uncaring of human life and devoid of empathy toward people in general, however I do think everyone knows right from wrong to some degree if not mentally ill, which again is another factor to take into account.

In this social media world, it could help to some degree if there were 'observers' of some kind who were of balanced mind to intervene on sites, not only twitter, but also Forums etc to withold obvious distressing material therefore lessening the impact on people undeserving of verbal abuse. 

The public do have right to opinion, but when that opinion is so blatently offensive beyond any shaddow of doubt to a right minded person, then unfortunately the ignorant or malicous tweets/posts should be monitored where possible and deleted at source......I hasten to add I do support freedom of speech, but not freedom to destroy or offend lives to the extreme, as for offhand, angry, disagreeing comments.........just man-up.

Sophiebubbles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hentie on 05.11.15 10:41

@BlueBag wrote:That's called censorship.

A slippery slope.
When blatant malicious lies are posted that amount to character assassination of an individual, I am all for censorship.

I believe there is far too much that is repugnant on sites that are easily available and widely read.
I worry for my grandchildren...all children.
As much as they can be monitored with their online activity, their friends aren't. 
Sometimes it shows with their conversation and what they relate to us regarding their friends.
hentie
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 05.11.15 11:17

People need thicker skins for the ultimate good of us all.

Censorship leads to dictatorship.

Who watches the watcher and all that.

There is no such thing as "I believe in free speech but...".

The "but" is the open door for tyrants.

It's free or it's not.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - (Attributed to Voltaire but probably not him).

The 1st Amendment in the American constitution is first for a reason.
BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hentie on 05.11.15 11:26

BlueBag a thick skin is all to the good with most of what is online..
There has to be a line drawn though, and I speak from experience. If someone has a vendetta against another person, whether this takes place online or in the real world.
Malicious, untrue, unfounded allegations can be made that have a lasting/permanent effect on their life and that of their family in a dreadful way.
This cannot and should not be ignored.
hentie
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 05.11.15 12:04

I understand but I don't believe gagging people is the way forward.

You end up like the Soviet Union. 

People would like this forum gagged because it's "offensive".
BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hentie on 05.11.15 12:18

Nothing is proven with the McC's. 
However we are able and should be able to have an opinion on facts that are known.
To me that is freedom of speech. 
To be able to comment on issues that are backed up such as Official Files, Statement discrepancies etc.
The case is in the Public domain we can discuss and have an opinion.

It cannot be right to put malicious untrue posts online where there is NOTHING to suggest it could be true.
In other words, fabricated from the onset.
hentie
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 05.11.15 12:29

@hentie wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:That's called censorship.

A slippery slope.
When blatant malicious lies are posted that amount to character assassination of an individual, I am all for censorship.

I believe there is far too much that is repugnant on sites that are easily available and widely read.
I worry for my grandchildren...all children.
As much as they can be monitored with their online activity, their friends aren't. 
Sometimes it shows with their conversation and what they relate to us regarding their friends.

There is the dilemma Hentie. It could be argued the McCanns have faced incredible levels of abuse. It could also be argued that witnesses have also faced incredible levels of abuse. It could be argued that there are people with self confessed mental health problems who exist just to dole out abuse (see Cristobell's blogs as a classic example). It could also be argued that the Press love to ramp up the rant ratings by posting controversial headlines and the 'hoi polloi' wade in with all sorts of vitriol in the right to reply comments sections offered to them, often only after reading the headline and scrolling down the deliberately selected photographs (Daily Mail has mastered the art of such practice and has recently employed Katie Hopkins to achieve just that ).

When the Madeleine case is taken in isolation I'm at a complete loss as to the self styled 'freedom fighter' Sonia Poulton and what I believe to be a vile mob (Lee Taylor Ryan is a prime example). How on earth can someone taking pay cheques from the the very mainstream media responsible for the shameful outing of Brenda Leyland offer something valuable to Madeleine McCann? It's simple. They can't. They can, however offer something of value to the reason for social media being 'policed'. Set aside the tripe of Poulton saying she doesn't mind if she's never employed by MSM again because tripe is exactly what it is.

Poulton and her mob are thugs imo. Now why would the MSM be interested in a band of thugs?

Just my opinion as usual.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 05.11.15 12:34

@hentie wrote:It cannot be right to put malicious untrue posts online where there is NOTHING to suggest it could be true.
In other words, fabricated from the onset.
But who decides what is untrue and malicious?

That is the dilemma.

Tyranny brands all criticism as untrue and malicious.
BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Dean on 05.11.15 12:40

I think that, with malicious lies about an individual, it needs to be considered how many people might read them and possibly believe them.

So if it's somewhere like JATYK2, would it be worth complaining and bringing them to the attention of more than the handful of people on there?

As for the loud-mouthed person who made ignorant remarks about the disabled, I really am surprised that she was singled out for prosecution when there are many others saying far worse things.
Amy Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hentie on 05.11.15 12:57

aquila I agree with your post re those mentioned.

As for the McC's they put themselves in the spotlight. 
I don't agree with abuse but an opinion re action displayed is a different matter. 
ie 'I don't agree with children being left'

Threats shouldn't be tolerated. I do believe there should be more monitoring for obvious cases where someone is targeted consistently in a threatening manner. 
Reading it can be seen that a 'pattern' emerges, it becomes obvious a person is being targeted.

It is very difficult to say exactly when a line is breached but I don't believe it can be right for the Internet to become a free for all with malicious allegations without cause, threats. 

Freedom of speech as in giving an opinion should be preserved.

Just my opinion
hentie
Madeleine Foundation

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 05.11.15 12:59

@hentie wrote:aquila I agree with your post re those mentioned.

As for the McC's they put themselves in the spotlight. 
I don't agree with abuse but an opinion re action displayed is a different matter. 
ie 'I don't agree with children being left'

Threats shouldn't be tolerated. I do believe there should be more monitoring for obvious cases where someone is targeted consistently in a threatening manner. 
Reading it can be seen that a 'pattern' emerges, it becomes obvious a person is being targeted.

It is very difficult to say exactly when a line is breached but I don't believe it can be right for the Internet to become a free for all with malicious allegations without cause, threats. 

Freedom of speech as in giving an opinion should be preserved.

Just my opinion
I couldn't agree with you more Hentie. friends
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ursula Presgrave, disabled comments

Post by willowthewisp on 05.11.15 13:29

Note how the comments made by this person and the rights of disabled person's is being manipulated by the Daily Mail(Ursula a T**l)Facebook, Twitter, this is about the recent decision by Theresa May to snoop on the public ISP accounts ?
When it is discovered by Doctors that a woman may be carrying a child with a disability, such as in the article, the Woman is offered information as to what their decision will be if the child is to be born or offered a termination,Ursla has a right of free speech and that is what is being attacked and the link to the internet, which the Government would like to control?
The Daily Mail is being clever by using deceased pictures of Diana, with Rosa Monckton,Dominic Lawson and their disabled Daughter,Domenica to manipulate the press in a different direction, Internet (T's) attacking disabled children and their right to life?
Then take a look at who is pictured in the article,they are not from your normal family from society both of the parents have relations with MI5/6 and upper echelons, it is thought that Rosa Monckton had befriended Diana of her being pregnant to Dodi Fyed before ,Diana and Dodi,Henri Paul met with their demise in Paris? 
They do not represent the amount of people in society who look after their disabled children, who are being attacked by cuts to disability allowances being slashed by the Conservative Government,Bedroom Tax?
willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comperedna on 05.11.15 14:23

I guess we should simply ignore the offensive remarks after counteracting them online. She is probably courting fame via notoriety. She has probably never met a youngster with additional needs, such as a child with Down's Syndrome.  She sounds both ignorant and opinionated... an unpleasant combination. Hitler tried extermination of those who didn't fit in with his eugenic ideas, but decent people had enough, and fought a war about it, amongst other things.

Really personalised nastiness online is another matter. Even Guido Fawkes website, the general tenor of whose politics I do not like, and which contains some horribly prejudiced posts, and a lot of swearing and what not, has its limits, and reacts to posters serious protests. It removes stuff which is thought to be beyond the pale... eg some super-tasteless twerp posted as David Cameron's deceased disabled son, and that was too much for just about everyone on there.

comperedna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 05.11.15 14:45

@melisande wrote:I believe this wasn't the first time she has posted offensive comments.  Is she ignorant ? Looking for attention/notoriety? Maybe both.  I haven't seen the programme she was in but if the article is anything to go by she  sounds like she likes to be controversial with her opinions.  Another Katie Hopkins ?  I am not sure sending her to prison is the right way to go or even a fine.  How about educating her by getting her to visit centres/schools for adults/children with additional support needs.  She will then see that they are valuable members of society and not 'vegetables' as was her description.

ETA. As a parent of a child who has ASN , her comments are undoubtedly offensive and malicious.  It makes no difference imo that it was not directed at an individual.

Imo you have to be all of the above to participate in reality tv.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by woodpecker on 05.11.15 16:40

I have a confession - I had never heard of Ursula Presgrave until this thread started. I must lead a very sad life!

I do not agree with what she tweeted but I am not offended. She has a right to hold those views even though I don't agree at all. Even if I was offended, which I presume I would be if I had a child or other family member who was seriously handicapped, I would still uphold her right to have that opinion.

Do people believe tweets or are they influenced by them? Why would anyone be influenced by a tweet from someone they had never heard of, or from someone who was a 'celebrity' which means very little nowadays.

I have been offended by the tweets and posts from the pro McCanns. Like Ms Presgrave they are uninformed; they really should do some serious reading of the mccannfiles. But the pro mccanns have the right to express their views, uninformed as I consider them to be.

woodpecker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Amy Dean on 06.11.15 9:30

24 out of 36 voters go for either options 1 or 2 in the poll.

Well said, woodpecker, by the way.
Amy Dean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ursula Presgrave, disabled comments

Post by willowthewisp on 15.12.15 12:30

@Amy Dean wrote:Even a suspended sentence is far too extreme in my opinion. This case should never have been taken to court.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/call-centre-star-ursula-presgrave-10494666
Hi, Amy Dean, sounds as though someone is pushing a certain agenda for Ursula, either that or she needs to grow up and take responsibility for her actions, "freedom to speak" on certain contentious subjects often comes back to haunt you!
Maybe that's the way of some peoples world to be "contentious, attention seeking" with a certain affinity of using a person's attractiveness as a "butter wouldn't melt in her mouth" shock moment value, where as if you "ain't so pretty, overweight" you're more vile in people's eyes?
I'm a Celeb or x factor, big brother must be beckoning?
willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum