The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!


Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by Jill Havern on 24.09.15 20:45

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims



Nearly 200 Subway branches across the UK and Ireland have cut out ham and bacon, selling only halal meat, in response to demand from their multicultural customers

Fast food giant Subway has removed ham and bacon from almost 200 outlets, and switched to halal meat alternatives in an attempt to please its Muslim customers.
It has confirmed turkey ham and turkey rashers will be used instead in 185 of its stores, where all the meat will now be prepared according to halal rules.
The chain, which has around 1,500 outlets across the UK, explained its decision by saying it had to balance animal welfare concerns with 'the views of religious communities'.
avatar
Jill Havern


Posts : 11656
Reputation : 5593
Join date : 2009-11-25
Location : parallel universe

View user profile http://gerrymccan-abuseofpower-humanrights.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by woodpecker on 24.09.15 23:10

Well I won't be using Subway anymore, not that I did much anyway.

Will they ban meat next in case they offend vegetarians who buy their vegetarian rolls?

woodpecker

Posts : 52
Reputation : 26
Join date : 2014-10-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aiyoyo on 25.09.15 10:02

@woodpecker wrote:Well I won't be using Subway anymore, not that I did much anyway.

Will they ban meat next in case they offend vegetarians who buy their vegetarian rolls?


Banning meat so as not to offend their vegetarian customers isn't going to happen.

Their business strategy is pretty obvious. It's typical of greedy fat cat company aiming to target muslim patronage in addition to increase sale turnover. In doing that they may gain some business from the 5.1% muslim population here, but will also lose a certain percentage of their regular customers pissed off with their stupid policy of catering to the minority at the expense of the majority.

I won't be stepping into subway anymore, not that I am a regular anyway. 
I am not against halal meat, but the reduction in variety choices takes away the attraction. 

What they should have done if they want to retain and increase customer base is to add halal onto their menu without taking items away from it. That way they can cater to non halal and halal customers alike without compromising one over the other.  

Muslims shop in non halal supermarkets after all, so no reason why Subway can't cater to all ethnic group alike.
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9610
Reputation : 324
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by BlueBag on 25.09.15 10:40

It's outrageous that they are not catering for Buddhists.

Subway are Buddhistophobics.

Where is the Kosher option as well?
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4581
Reputation : 2377
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by plebgate on 25.09.15 11:10

Why am I not surprised to read this.    The big companies are in it for the money pure and simple.

Turkey ham, what's that when it's at home?

I don't by sandwiches out, so much easier to slice a bap/crusty roll and fill it and it is much, much cheaper.

People often say they are struggling by the end of their next pay day - if they pulled in their spending on expensive sandwiches and coffees etc. they would notice a big difference.  

I have seen a few episodes of Eat Well for Less and I am amazed that people do not seem to be able to work out for themselves where to save money on their shopping bill.  Absolutely amazing - are there really people in this day and age who cannot work out for themselves how to shop and save?   If it really is the case then gawd elp us is all I can say.

plebgate

Posts : 6185
Reputation : 1845
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by nomendelta on 25.09.15 11:40

Why is this year old story being dug up?

It's also a non-story when you check the facts out. Before opening a store they check out the population and if it's appropriate they go halal. It's by no means a blanket ban on ham. A bit extreme but then if they're in a place where there not going to sell any ham why would the have ham?

nomendelta

Posts : 331
Reputation : 42
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aquila on 25.09.15 13:22

@nomendelta wrote:Why is this year old story being dug up?

It's also a non-story when you check the facts out. Before opening a store they check out the population and if it's appropriate they go halal. It's by no means a blanket ban on ham. A bit extreme but then if they're in a place where there not going to sell any ham why would the have ham?
I agree and it's good to remember Subway is a franchise operation.
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8792
Reputation : 1760
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aiyoyo on 26.09.15 12:04

@nomendelta wrote:Why is this year old story being dug up?

It's also a non-story when you check the facts out. Before opening a store they check out the population and if it's appropriate they go halal. It's by no means a blanket ban on ham. A bit extreme but then if they're in a place where there not going to sell any ham why would the have ham?

Don't know where you are coming from.

The article clearly states Subway is taking ham and bacon off to avoid offending muslims.  If they'd done their customer base survey, they would have sold only halal in the first place and not be taking off non halal.

Although it is not blanket throughout their 1500 outlets, only 200 outlets affected, probably in the muslims densed region, nonetheless Subway is sending out the wrong message and setting bad precedence.

It's hard enough educating the Muslims in UK to integrate into their home of choice, and here we have a big American chain store fast food Company allowing its franchisees to run outlets that encourages ethnic enclave.
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9610
Reputation : 324
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by nomendelta on 26.09.15 13:26

Just because the article says it doesn't make it true!

Check the facts - the story the original poster links to is from last year. Why discuss it now? It's also the case that subway have had a policy in place since 2006 regarding the use of halal meat where appropriate.

It's a manipulative piece making something out of nothing and I'm curious as to why a thread was started in the first place.

nomendelta

Posts : 331
Reputation : 42
Join date : 2011-05-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by BlueBag on 26.09.15 13:38

Muslims and Jews think God thinks not eating ham is important.

Christians think God used to think not eating ham is important but now he's not bothered... he changed his mind or summat.

It's all a bit silly.
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4581
Reputation : 2377
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aiyoyo on 26.09.15 15:36

@nomendelta wrote:Just because the article says it doesn't make it true!

Check the facts - the story the original poster links to is from last year. Why discuss it now? It's also the case that subway have had a policy in place since 2006 regarding the use of halal meat where appropriate.

It's a manipulative piece making something out of nothing and I'm curious as to why a thread was started in the first place.

If as you say, subway has a policy of serving halal meat since 2006 why would date of article make a difference to arguments at hand?   If info in the article is wrong then blame the newspaper for printing misinformation and not the poster that starts this thread.

Halal just means meat prepared in a manner prescribed by muslim law, so turkey, lamb or cow can be halal or non halal depending on the slaughtering method.  

The date of the article irrespective, does not distract from the fact when subway decided to take off ham and bacon (pig products in a nutshell) subway is pandering to Muslims at the expense of the majority in a country where Muslims integration is a sore point of contention.  

I am not against halal meat, in fact I often partake food with my Muslim friends.  
I am just saying it's stupid for a big company that has power to influence social trend and social mentality to set bad example.  Doing that will further alienate the Muslims from the other communities and that cannot be a good thing. 

Why not sell non halal and halal?  That way people or any race creed or religion 
I don't mind going into a F&B places selling halal and non halal and I don't mind mingling with Muslims in shops or restaurants, so what's wrong if Subway sticks to non halal and at the same time also sell halal?  That way, people of any race creed or religion can decide if they want to patronage it or not?
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9610
Reputation : 324
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aiyoyo on 26.09.15 15:44

@BlueBag wrote:Muslims and Jews think God thinks not eating ham is important.

Christians think God used to think not eating ham is important but now he's not bothered... he changed his mind or summat.

It's all a bit silly.

Wonder what the Muslims God and the Jews God think of the 2/3 world populations that eat ham.  Is the 2/3 world populations that eat ham not of God's creation?  
Isn't there just one God?  If not which God creates the Sub-Gods?

In that case, heaven must be one hell of a divided place where even the Gods and Demi-Gods are at war among themselves over each other's creation.  

It's all a bit silly.
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9610
Reputation : 324
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aquila on 26.09.15 17:02

Here is an article from the Daily Telegraph, February 2015. I cried when I read it. The video is just shocking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11384505/Secret-halal-slaughterhouse-film-reveals-horrific-animal-abuse.html
avatar
aquila

Posts : 8792
Reputation : 1760
Join date : 2011-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by Tony Bennett on 27.09.15 23:59

@aiyoyo wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:Muslims and Jews think God thinks not eating ham is important.

Christians think God used to think not eating ham is important but now he's not bothered... he changed his mind or summat.

It's all a bit silly.

Wonder what the Muslims God and the Jews God think of the 2/3 world populations that eat ham.  Is the 2/3 world populations that eat ham not of God's creation?  
Isn't there just one God?  If not which God creates the Sub-Gods?

In that case, heaven must be one hell of a divided place where even the Gods and Demi-Gods are at war among themselves over each other's creation.  

It's all a bit silly.
@ Blue Bag and @ aiyoyo

I've endeavoured to provide a full explanation for you in the Member's Lounge, here:

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t11915-why-did-god-ban-the-jews-from-eating-pork-and-why-did-he-later-rescind-that-commandment-a-reply-to-blue-bag-and-aiyoyo#322779

____________________

The amazing symbiosis between bees and flowers:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-for-creation/god-created-plant-pollinator-partners/  

avatar
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Posts : 14905
Reputation : 2996
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 70
Location : Shropshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by tinkier on 28.09.15 0:33

You will also find that all the main supermarkets are selling halal meat, either not labelled or its labelled so tiny that you really can't see it. I wrote to all of the main supermarkets, they all admitted it. Tesco and Morrison's finest range and butcher counter is not halal but the rest of their meat and lamb is, Asda the same. The only supermarket I could find that didn't stock halal meat (in scotland) was Lidl, that was about 18 months ago, so they might have changed their policy, but I don't think so. I buy most of my meat from the local butcher's now, as more and more people seem to be doing.
avatar
tinkier

Posts : 239
Reputation : 159
Join date : 2015-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by BlueBag on 28.09.15 6:29

@aiyoyo wrote:
@BlueBag wrote:Muslims and Jews think God thinks not eating ham is important.

Christians think God used to think not eating ham is important but now he's not bothered... he changed his mind or summat.

It's all a bit silly.

Wonder what the Muslims God and the Jews God think of the 2/3 world populations that eat ham.  Is the 2/3 world populations that eat ham not of God's creation?  
Isn't there just one God?  If not which God creates the Sub-Gods?

In that case, heaven must be one hell of a divided place where even the Gods and Demi-Gods are at war among themselves over each other's creation.  

It's all a bit silly.
It's the same God who thought genital mutilation was important (for some bizarre reason) and changed his mind.

He could have made people without the offending part in the first place if it's so important.

All a bit silly (actually child mutilation is evil).
avatar
BlueBag

Posts : 4581
Reputation : 2377
Join date : 2014-06-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims

Post by aiyoyo on 28.09.15 19:14

@tinkier wrote:You will also find that all the main supermarkets are selling halal meat, either not labelled or its labelled so tiny that you really can't see it. I wrote to all of the main supermarkets, they all admitted it. Tesco and Morrison's finest range and butcher counter is not halal but the rest of their meat and lamb is, Asda the same. The only supermarket I could find that didn't stock halal meat (in scotland) was Lidl, that was about 18 months ago, so they might have changed their policy, but I don't think so. I buy most of my meat from the local butcher's now, as more and more people seem to be doing.

Contrary to what many assume, according to stats an estimated 88% of animals killed by halal methods in Britain are stunned before slaughter.  I won't be surprised most types of meat sold in supermarkets are halal whether they carry the label or not, or whether the label is easily visible or not. Pig products do not need this labeling for obvious reason.

Halal method simply means slitting the throat, severity the artery, vein and windpipe and very importantly blood must be left to drain completely.  My muslim friends told me the significance of enforcing halal is not in the methods of killing but strict adherence to prescribed Islam's law that stipulates that the blood must be completely drain before it's deemed fit for consumption.  Therefore because of this, the only killing method that will ensure copious blood drain is the one described aforesaid.

Since slaughter in UK now involves stunning the animal first then slitting the throat severing artery leaving it hanging to drain of blood first before further handling it is akin to Halal method.
avatar
aiyoyo

Posts : 9610
Reputation : 324
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum