The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Please note that when you register your username must be different from your email address!

Expenses: Lords who did not vote claim £100k

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Expenses: Lords who did not vote claim £100k

Post by Doug D on 16.08.15 11:21

So much to do, committees to attend, expenses forms to fill out:

Expenses: Lords who did not vote claim £100k – report

10 minutes ago

Members of the House of Lords who did not vote in the last parliamentary session claimed £100,000 in expenses, a report has found.
From 2010-15 a total of £360,000 was claimed by 62 peers who did not vote, the Electoral Reform Society said.
Most members are not paid a salary but can claim a daily allowance of up to £300 for Parliamentary duties.
The ERS said the Lords was "growing out of control" but a peer told the BBC that they do more than just vote.
Darren Hughes, deputy chief executive of the ERS, said: "The prime minister said he regrets not reforming the second House in the last parliament.
"It's time for him to act and finally fix our broken upper chamber."
Speak about issues
However, Baroness Flather - a former Conservative peer who is now an independent, or "crossbencher" - said the report "missed the point".
She said some crossbenchers rarely vote, but they still contribute to sittings by raising questions, speaking in debates and by meeting people.
"I speak all the time in debates and questions. I became a crossbencher because I want to speak about issues I know the Tories don't want me to speak about.
"I might not vote but I am there and I am doing what I think I should be doing. I am not just going in for 20 minutes," she said.

Who can claim the allowance?

Members do not have to vote in the House of Lords to be eligible for the £300 daily allowance - they can claim it for carrying out other duties.
According to the financial guide for members, they can claim the allowance if they attended a sitting of the House, or undertook "qualifying work away from Westminster".
The daily allowance replaced separate overnight allowances, day allowances, and office costs in the previous system.
Members do not have to claim the allowance, or they can claim a reduced allowance of £150 a day.

The report - entitled House of Lords: Fact vs Fiction - also found that 10 peers were responsible for claiming £260,000 of the £360,000 from 2010-2015.
The society estimates that if the prime minister forges ahead with plans to appoint 50 additional members of the Lords it will cost at least £1.3m per year.
The report also says that more than a third of Lords previously worked in politics, and more than half were over 70 years old, while only two were younger than 39.
Mr Hughes said: "This is not a chamber of experts - it's a chamber of professional politicians.
"Our House of Lords looks nothing like the public whose decisions it impacts - almost half live in London or the South East, while there are just two peers under the age of 40.
"This is a shockingly out of date and unrepresentative institution."

Who's in the House of Lords?
783 peers
currently eligible to vote in the House of Lords

670 Life peers
            87 Hereditary peers
            26 Bishops
            £300 daily expenses available to each peer for attending at Westminster

Source: Parliament

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33947758

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

expense's House of Lords 100K

Post by willowthewisp on 16.08.15 12:35

Hi DougD,
Do they still qualify for the winter fuel allowance, cleaning of duck ponds, got to have a warm house to return home to after sumptuous meals, fine wines and spirits, in the need to re-attend consistently, being fortunate to look after ones self properly, you know?
"Bye God, we'er worth it you know" Champagne Ma Lord, if you insist old bean!

willowthewisp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Expenses: Lords who did not vote claim £100k

Post by woodpecker on 18.08.15 20:49

Is/are the bar(s) in the Houses of Parliament subsidised?

What does a glass of vintage champagne cost?

woodpecker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 19.08.15 7:34

@woodpecker wrote:Is/are the bar(s) in the Houses of Parliament subsidised?

Food and drink is heavily subsidised I believe.    No wonder the greedy gits fall asleep during an afternoon "debate".

I did read that Cameron is sending another load of "cronies" to the Lords - although David Laws was turned down for a Lordship, even though his friend Clegg nominated him.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.08.15 9:38

@plebgate wrote:
@woodpecker wrote:Is/are the bar(s) in the Houses of Parliament subsidised?

Food and drink is heavily subsidised I believe.    No wonder the greedy gits fall asleep during an afternoon "debate".

I did read that Cameron is sending another load of "cronies" to the Lords - although David Laws was turned down for a Lordship, even though his friend Clegg nominated him.
It would be interesting to see how many would turn up for more than ten minutes if the central heating were turned down a couple of notches and the only food served being delivered from a local NHS hospital - with soft drinks only of course.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by woodpecker on 19.08.15 10:17

Maybe we should set up a gofundme campaign to help the members of the House of Lords pay their subsidised bar prices.....?!!!!

woodpecker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 19.08.15 10:24

...can you imagine a docusoap  'I'm a Lord Get me Out of Here (but not until I've collected me 300 quid for turning up of course) - wait a moment, that's a lovely theme for a political satirist comedy.

Benefits Britain would be a nice working title.
aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum