The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Mm11

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Mm11

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Regist10

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Empty Re: Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial

Post by Guest 28.04.15 16:17

Will we get to see a detailed reasoning from the judge?

I can't believe it will make any sense.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Empty Re: Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial

Post by Rogue-a-Tory 28.04.15 16:18

Deeply saddened at reading those headlines. Doesn't tally with the earlier pronouncements from the Portuguese courts. From those I expected Amaral would have to pay something for the items found against him but nothing of that magnitude. and a magnitude that allows those terrible two to claim victory.

Seriously expect there has been some heavy political interference for the court to arrive at this decision. But it won't stop my endeavours for those two to be constantly reminded of their actions in the tragic disappearance of Madeleine for every second of their remaining lives.
Rogue-a-Tory
Rogue-a-Tory

Activity : 1115

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrry On Doctor 28.04.15 16:32

Hmmm.....I am suspicious about this news. Twitter feed claiming Amaral side not yet notified.

At least we can look forward to seeing SP's documentary now.
Carrry On Doctor
Carrry On Doctor

Activity : 586

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe 28.04.15 16:35

Can a single judge even 'over ride' a legally binding decision/judgement, (re: 'book ban') from Portugal's 'high' court, by 3 Judges?

Methinks that 'that' is what any appeal WILL be 'based' on.

How 'much' have the OTHER 3 'defendents' had to 'pay'?

Presumeably they, pending appeal, have 'lost' also?
jeanmonroe

Activity : 7756

Back to top Go down

Post by snook 28.04.15 16:46

I agree Jean. Hardly accurate reporting. Brunt is tweeting they have been awarded over a million! Odd how he gets to know before anyone eelse? Apparently all this is coming from Duarte. Probably as accurate as her 'confirmation' that they were triumphant in their claim.
snook
snook

Activity : 329

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Empty Game Over

Post by Bishop Brennan 28.04.15 16:51

This is a result that will shock the McCann community on both sides. Nobody expected Amaral to lose quite so comprehensively. Even the most fervent McCann supporters were worried after reading the judge's findings. To then be awarded such a massive sum is quite incredible. If, in addition, the rulings about banning the book / DVD are true, then this is a complete victory for the McCann lawyers. It leaves Amaral with nothing. He will be devastated.

And of course it signals the end. We can anticipate OG to be wound up very quickly now. This verdict was the only thing that could have caused a problem and instead it has cleared a path all the way to closure. No abductor will be found of course - that would be absurd - but DCI Wall now has the easiest task of all to announce that after a "comprehensive review of all that OG has achieved, the trail is just too cold and sadly there is not enough evidence to charge someone with the abduction".

It's been their game-plan pretty much from the start, and the Lisbon trial has given SY and the McCanns the perfect ending. Better than they could ever have dared hope for.

Bishop Brennan
Bishop Brennan

Activity : 920

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Empty Warned

Post by Letterwriter 28.04.15 17:07

I did warn everyone about assuming a GA win because of all their overall views of the situation.

As I said, the libel cases are on carefully worded and specific issues.  They are not an airing for, or a decision about, the matter as a whole.
Letterwriter
Letterwriter

Activity : 87

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutchgirl 28.04.15 17:31

I feel sick!
Dutchgirl

Activity : 194

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic72 28.04.15 17:34

Bishop Brennan wrote:This is a result that will shock the McCann community on both sides.  Nobody expected Amaral to lose quite so comprehensively.  Even the most fervent McCann supporters were worried after reading the judge's findings.  To then be awarded such a massive sum is quite incredible.   If, in addition, the rulings about banning the book / DVD are true, then this is a complete victory for the McCann lawyers.  It leaves Amaral with nothing.  He will be devastated.
It's almost a third of what they claimed against him, the judge declined on two-thirds. So it's a two-thirds victory to Amaral as I see it!

sonic72
sonic72

Activity : 416

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.04.15 17:44

Lisbon court orders McCanns be paid €500,000 in damages by former PJ detective
by Brendan de Beer, in News · 28-04-2015 17:17:00 · 0 Comments
A Lisbon Civil Court on Tuesday issued a ruling in which former PJ police detective Gonçalo Amaral is to pay the parents of missing British toddler Madeleine McCann a sum of 250,000 euros each plus a large sum in interest. Amaral can still challenge the decision with the Lisbon Appeal Court.
Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 AMARAL

Calculations provided by the McCanns' legal team currently place the total amount of interest at €106,246. This interest plus damages amount to just under half the €1.2 million requested by Kate and Gerry McCann at the start of legal proceedings more than five years ago.

The decision comes five days before what will be marking of the eighth year of Madeleine’s disappearance from the holiday apartment she had been staying in with her parents in Praia da Luz.

In its ruling, the court also prohibited the sale of the book written by Amaral with regards to Madeleine’s disappearance. In the book, Amaral ruled out the widespread belief that she had been abducted. Instead he argued that she had died in an accident in the apartment on 3 May 2007.

The book’s publisher has also been banned from releasing any new editions and has to hand over all unsold copies.

Isabel Duarte, the lawyer acting on behalf of the McCanns, opted not to comment on the decision.

In the 52-page document, seen by The Portugal News shortly after the ruling was released, repeated references are made to the fact that the date of the release of Amaral’s book (24 July 2008), took place only three days after the Portuguese Attorney-General’s office decided to shelve the case.

Isabel Duarte had argued that Amaral used privileged information in the book, with the court ruling that Amaral's freedom of expression was limited by his position as a former police detective and lead investigator in the case.

But the court also found  that it was not proven that the allegations made in the book “in any way contributed to the hindering of the course of the investigation into the disappearance of the minor Madeleine McCann.”

The court further rejected libel claims made by Kate and Gerry on behalf Madeleine and her twin siblings Sean and Amelie.

In comments to Portuguese newspaper Expresso on Tuesday evening, Miguel Cruz Rodrigues, legal counsel for Gonçalo Amaral, said he knew nothing of the court’s ruling.

“I have not yet been notified by the court”, he was quoted as saying, adding that he found it “very strange” that only one of the parties was aware of the verdict.

He opted not to comment further until he had seen the actual judgment.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Google.Gaspar.Statements 28.04.15 17:48

The McCann's will not be content until they've completely disposed of Goncalo, the man who tried to find their daughter.

I just hope he has enough strength left in him not to end up like Brenda. 😢

Activity : 701

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Empty positive reaction

Post by justabout 28.04.15 17:52

Does anyone on this board have the know how,wherewithall,to set up a fund for Goncalo? I think he deserves it and it could be a good way to put our monies where our mouths are.
justabout

Activity : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Google.Gaspar.Statements 28.04.15 17:54

justabout wrote:Does anyone on this board have the know how,wherewithall,to set up a fund for Goncalo? I think he deserves it and it could be a good way to put our monies where our mouths are.

There's already a fund set up - http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/

Activity : 701

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores 28.04.15 17:57

justabout wrote:Does anyone on this board have the know how,wherewithall,to set up a fund for Goncalo? I think he deserves it and it could be a good way to put our monies where our mouths are.
Would this end up in the pockets of the McCanns?
Miraflores
Miraflores

Activity : 856

Back to top Go down

Goncalo Has Lost the Libel trial  - Page 2 Empty positive reaction

Post by justabout 28.04.15 17:59

Thanks for that,will check it out now.
justabout

Activity : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by DonNewbery 28.04.15 18:10

sonic72 wrote:
Bishop Brennan wrote:This is a result that will shock the McCann community on both sides.  Nobody expected Amaral to lose quite so comprehensively.  Even the most fervent McCann supporters were worried after reading the judge's findings.  To then be awarded such a massive sum is quite incredible.   If, in addition, the rulings about banning the book / DVD are true, then this is a complete victory for the McCann lawyers.  It leaves Amaral with nothing.  He will be devastated.
It's almost a third of what they claimed against him, the judge declined on two-thirds. So it's a two-thirds victory to Amaral as I see it!

That's a very brave-faced view to put on it. I trust now that the McCann's will spend every hour and every day and every week of their remaining lives searching for their missing daughter, and will report back at regular (e.g. half-yearly) intervals to the British taxpayer, who's already forked out so much to help them, how they are getting on.

They could also benefit from re-acquainting themselves with Dante's Inferno, or from reading it for the first time if they have not already done so. There's no way they can turn there backs on this case now.
DonNewbery

Activity : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard IV 28.04.15 18:13

Miraflores wrote:
Would this end up in the pockets of the McCanns?
I sincerley hope not.  It says on Goncalo`s website that it is to `Support the legal defence account` , so I would hope that is all it is - not his own money.
Anyhow, if this is all true, the money will just be taken from GA`s funds that they had frozen.
Richard IV
Richard IV

Activity : 825

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.04.15 18:15

BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32501647

This is one crazy messed up world.

This is a TRAVESTY in every sense of the word.

Where is justice?

Justice is owned (not by ordinary people).
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 28.04.15 18:15

I'd like to wait to see the court report before passing too much comment on this.

In the meantime, all I'll say is: What a load of absolute borrocks. Something stinks.
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 28.04.15 18:17

Lance De Boils wrote:I'd like to wait to see the court report before passing too much comment on this.
If we ever get to see it then I believe it will contain some amazing legal gymnastics.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NickE 28.04.15 18:21

"Gonçalo Amaral says he has been notified of the decision of the court"

http://m.expresso.sapo.pt/inicio/modal/destaques/artigo/922116

NickE

Activity : 2151

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 28.04.15 18:21

I would like to see the rest of the judgment on this. It does sound a lot of money, but could be some sort of compromise award.

Have the McCanns simply been awarded a percentage of the profits of the book? The interest owed would already be in the bank due to the profits being frozen for years.

Perhaps the judge accepted that the McCanns suffered some distress due to the publication of the book (which I'm sure they have, the problem for us all is that we don't know, for certain, the cause of the McCanns distress)  How is it possible for a judge to decide, fairly, when no-one knows, for certain, what did happen to Madeleine?

Banning publication of any more copies of the book at least solves the problem of further disputes between the McCanns and Amaral. 

Inevitably, the McCanns would make much of the fact that they won, when perhaps there is a little more to the story than this. They always claim that they have been cleared with regard to the investigation, when that was not quite the case also. Amaral has the same problem that he has always had, that the majority of British people do not speak Portuguese and do not look too deeply into the case.

I can't believe Amaral has lost the whole of his case here. Let's see what else transpires.

suzyjohnson

Activity : 1542

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 28.04.15 18:28

BlueBag wrote:
Lance De Boils wrote:I'd like to wait to see the court report before passing too much comment on this.
If we ever get to see it then I believe it will contain some amazing legal gymnastics.

You are probably correct.

This judgement - if it is as it's being reported - tells me just about everything I need to know about how this case is going to play out in the future - Op Grange included.

banghead
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by Poppyfox 28.04.15 18:28

I am disappointed and disgusted at the result. I honestly believed that Sn Amaral would win and that the McCanns would have to pay up then slink off into the shadows. Unfortunately I now think that OG will be a whitewash and that will be the end of it. Nobody I know believes the parents story and think them guilty. Poor Sn Amaral and his family as he'll be described yet again as the disgraced drunk sardine munching ex cop!! Gerry and Co must have some dirt on TPTB that they are willing to influence the Portugese judge. Where's the justice??? Poor Madeleine, your parents are still making money out of you and have no shame nor conscience. sad1 no
Poppyfox
Poppyfox

Activity : 68

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 28.04.15 18:29

You got to wonder why Martin Brunt is always the first one to know / to be informed, and to announce it?

Have we heard from Pinky?  No  Kate?  No  Gerry?  No

Calmez vous SVP, and wait for the official version.

If true, this is going to affect how SP and JK finalized their respective film.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top