The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Daily Mail Debate:  Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime  - Page 3 Mm11

Daily Mail Debate:  Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime  - Page 3 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Daily Mail Debate:  Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime  - Page 3 Mm11

Daily Mail Debate:  Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime  - Page 3 Regist10

Daily Mail Debate: Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Daily Mail Debate:  Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime  - Page 3 Empty Re: Daily Mail Debate: Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime

Post by suzyjohnson 29.11.14 13:33

mysterion wrote:I think that it is a crime in the UK to leave a child in an unattended vehicle.

But suppose you witnessed a hit and run, or a car accident, with your child asleep in their car seat in the back of your car? And you were the only witness. Would you leave the injured person lying alone on the road, or in a car? Or leave your car to reassure them help was on it's way? Would it be wise to wake a 2 year old and take them with you in these circumstances? 

What about two children in the back of the car, say aged 9 and 6? Suppose you have run out of petrol and could see the garage a few yards ahead? Suppose your children were aged 11 and 3 and the 3 yr old was asleep?

Is there a difference between leaving your children in the car outside a petrol station (with a long queue to pay) and parking outside a chemist to collect a prescription? Because I've never seen anyone take the children out of the car to go and pay at a petrol station. In fact if you've a few children with you it might be extremely dangerous to do so.

suzyjohnson

Activity : 1542

Back to top Go down

Daily Mail Debate:  Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime  - Page 3 Empty Re: Daily Mail Debate: Is Leaving a Child Alone a Crime

Post by joyce1938 29.11.14 16:54

In news today there was a mother of 6 kids ,left to go to shops ,instead went to Australia to meet a chap she met on line ,the eldest  was 14 years old ,he was left to care for the others . Now I would call that  a crime ,but it seems it has been to court and mother not charged at all ,the background was looked into ,and it appears the kids are well cared for and doing well in school ,so that's the outcome ,now that really makes a lot of parents think ,Well that's o k then . can you believe it ? joyce1938
joyce1938
joyce1938

Activity : 1013

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 29.11.14 17:10

Just as an interesting aside,
This issue is what TB, himself a qualified Social Worker,  was talking about 7 YEARS ago, and if I remember correctly was one of, if not the original reason for the setting up of the Madeleine Foundation.

It has taken that long for the public and the MSM to realise that the issue is worth discussing.
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16577

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 29.11.14 20:29

joyce1938 wrote:In news today there was a mother of 6 kids ,left to go to shops ,instead went to Australia to meet a chap she met on line ,the eldest  was 14 years old ,he was left to care for the others . Now I would call that  a crime ,but it seems it has been to court and mother not charged at all ,the background was looked into ,and it appears the kids are well cared for and doing well in school ,so that's the outcome ,now that really makes a lot of parents think ,Well that's o k then . can you believe it ? joyce1938

No Joyce, the mother was charged and taken to court, she was given a suspended sentence. She has also lost custody of the six children (she is expecting a seventh).

The eldest boy phoned his grandparents when his mother did not return from the shops (the following day) The grandparents then phoned the police. The grandparents collected them and now all six are living with them.

The defence had tried to argue that the children were not too badly affected by what the mother had done, after all they were doing well at school.

In spite of their mother it seems, and not because of.

suzyjohnson

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 29.11.14 20:37

Ah, so if the kids doing well in school it's OK then. After all, they might end up as doctors...and we all know where that can lead...don't we? titter 

In my opinion.

Activity : 582

Back to top Go down

Post by waiting for justice 30.11.14 0:10

Just MO but I think comparing leaving kids in a car at a petrol station whilst paying and going out dining etc is absurd. I can think of 2 petrol stations I use where I have had to physically run between the car and the kiosk because it's so busy.
It would be very dangerous if parents were accessing the kiosk with young children in tow, especially at weekends. 

I really think a common sense approach needs to be adopted here before it gets out of hand. There are some truly awful things going on in this country and I don't think calling police to forecourts where the parent would be back in their car and away before they've even left the station is the best use of resources. 
Time would be better spent to get walking lanes put into garages to make it safer for all users. 

I have never heard of a parent being charged with neglect for leaving their kids in a car on a forecourt whilst paying, I could be wrong though but if not, it would indicate it is not neglectful but the lesser of two evils when assessing risk of the situation. Forecourts are loaded with cameras and cars are loaded with security features.
waiting for justice

Activity : 109

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson 30.11.14 1:22

waiting for justice wrote:Just MO but I think comparing leaving kids in a car at a petrol station whilst paying and going out dining etc is absurd. I can think of 2 petrol stations I use where I have had to physically run between the car and the kiosk because it's so busy.
It would be very dangerous if parents were accessing the kiosk with young children in tow, especially at weekends. 

I really think a common sense approach needs to be adopted here before it gets out of hand. There are some truly awful things going on in this country and I don't think calling police to forecourts where the parent would be back in their car and away before they've even left the station is the best use of resources. 
Time would be better spent to get walking lanes put into garages to make it safer for all users. 

I have never heard of a parent being charged with neglect for leaving their kids in a car on a forecourt whilst paying, I could be wrong though but if not, it would indicate it is not neglectful but the lesser of two evils when assessing risk of the situation. Forecourts are loaded with cameras and cars are loaded with security features.

Yes of course it's absurd to compare dining out to leaving children in the car at a petrol station, there's no comparison.

My comparison was between leaving the children in the car at a petrol station and leaving a child in a car outside a chemists while you collect a prescription. Not so much difference there, yet a father was charged with neglect for going to the chemist.

I agree with you it's not always safe to cross a petrol station forecourt, never mind with all your children in tow, and in the case of the chemist, it's kinder to let an ill child rest in the car. As you say that's not neglectful, it's sensible risk assessment. Not the same thing at all as going out for a meal and leaving your children unsupervised.

suzyjohnson

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top