The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS  - Page 4 Mm11

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS  - Page 4 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS  - Page 4 Mm11

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS  - Page 4 Regist10

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS  - Page 4 Empty Re: LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS

Post by plebgate 11.07.14 19:10

lj wrote:
plebgate wrote:Snipped from Joana's transcript - judge questions Mr.

"Judge - Did you suffer from insomnia?

Gerald McCann - Yes, we didn't sleep well for many nights because of the anxiety caused by the book.

I wonder exactly how many nights?   Was it more than when Maddie went missing? - we have read that they could sleep after 5 nights then.

Insomnia is a difficult thing. A lot of people think they sleep less than they actually do, especially when the insomnia is caused by worries.

Proof would be a sleepstudy, but there too there is no independent expert input.
Exactly lj no independent expert input.

I cannot believe that Rocky will lose without independent input to the court.

When we take sick leave at work we are given x amount of days before having to produce a sick note from a GP.   In other words, we will not get paid without showing that our claim to be ill is corroborated by a professional.

No use our friends or relatives ringing the boss and saying take our word for it, so-and-so is definitely ill  - is there.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS  - Page 4 Empty Re: LAST DAY OF LIBEL TRIAL 8th July 2014 DISCUSSION AND NEWS

Post by Justformaddie 11.07.14 19:14

MrsC wrote: 
Brian Griffin wrote: A match made is 'Evven.

...or more likely 'ell.
 spit coffee  Mrs  Mr

Activity : 541

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 11.07.14 19:18

Brian Griffin wrote:
ultimaThule wrote:
nglfi wrote:I think the reason they've gone after Amaral rather than the other authors (Well, their stated reason anyway), is that as the official police officer in charge of the case, his opinions and statements hold a lot more weight in the mind of the general public. People are apparently entitled to 'purport theories', but I think they thought it would be easy prey to go after Amaral for this reason and assumed he would settle out of court.

ETA Is it just me or is the word 'purport' used incorrectly by Gerry here? It's something I've always thought doesn't sound right.

As their experience hitherto has been that anyone or any institution they've threatened with libel action in the UK has rolled over, it seems to me the McCanns assumed the same would apply if they went after Dr Amaral, ngfli, but it appears they not only underestimated him, they also made a severe error in naming three other parties in the proceedings they've instituted in the Portuguese courts.

Can you please link to Gerry's use of the word 'purport'?
A lot of things Gerry says don't sound right. For example, to my ears it sounds as though he is saying 'hit' rather than 'hid' in that interview outside the courts - I mean the latest one. That thick Glaswegian accent is hardly a thing of beauty. Neither is her Scouse for that matter. A match made is 'Evven.

Gerry's 'hid' sounded like 'hit' to me too, BrianG, and to worriedmum https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t9851p120-why-the-mccanns-appearance-yesterday-was-a-pr-disaster-for-them#268388

As it seems to me that there was a singlular lack of good fairies at the christenings of this pair, I'm opting for MrsC's match made in hell, .  yes
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 11.07.14 19:23

HelenMeg wrote:
FH wrote:
jozi wrote:"GMC – But the book mentions facts that aren't true. duh

This statement is just bizarre, especially for a medic.

Entry to medical school in the UK is very competitive. Most students go into medicine directly from school and exam entry requirements to study medicine were high,  well before the MC's  went to medical school, so one has to assume they are both bright enough to  attain really good exam qualifications. The degree itself is quite challenging. The absolute key to good exam technique  is to read/listen to/analyze  the question being asked really carefully and then answer the question you were asked.

I come from a family containing  many medical professionals. In addition,  for a number of years I supervised medical students in chemistry labs.  I have generally found them to be very smart and very articulate, with very good verbal reasoning skills. Not all were personable, or likeable, but they all knew how to answer questions. They had to memorize vast quantities of facts  and accurately answer questions on it.  It was the skill that got them where they were all through their studies. 

So how is it that every time I read what the MC's have said, I REALLY struggle to understand how these 2 people (and the rest of the tapas lot) , who must have demonstrated a really good ability to answer questions in the past ,  could possibly have such a poor command of the English language now. Whether they are answering questions, or making statements, they often appear totally inarticulate. 

To me there is a huge discrepancy between their expected vs. actual verbal abilities. These are people who  REALLY  should be able to form an articulate, factual answer.

So why do they sometimes come across as complete morons? Is that what happens when a brain that is used to dealing in hard facts, tries to lie.
They don't seem able to string two words together coherently.
FH - I think that is exactly what happens when a brain is having to lie. I thoroughly agree - when you read through the rogatory statements of this group of doctors, they appear inarticulate, vague and like bumbling idiots. Clearly, they are not. The only explanation for this is that they are not permitted to talk as in direct memory recall. They are always having to make allowances for the fact that there is a script that they are following. They are clearly not comfortable and having to think twice before they speak. Most telling for me was when Jenni Murray (Woman's Hour R4 - link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01115hc)

Jenny: 'Was she sleeping when you left her?'

Kate: (Very Long pause) 'Errm, yes, she was, yeah'.

Why should Kate need a significant pause to be able to answer that question? The immediate impression from both the pause, her answer and the way she says it, is that she momentarily didn't know what to say. But how could that be?
That was so revealing. If I ever had any doubt about their involvement, that took it all away.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by Miraflores 11.07.14 19:34

Don't forget though that 'sleeping' can be a euphemism for someone who is dead.
Miraflores
Miraflores

Activity : 856

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11.07.14 19:36

"Gone" is one too ...
"She been taken" too ...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin 11.07.14 19:41

I thought it was 'They've taken her!'.

Er...who has?
Brian Griffin
Brian Griffin

Activity : 582

Back to top Go down

Post by phil_burton 11.07.14 19:47

Does anyone have a transcript of Gerry's statement?

Apologies if I've missed it, I can't find it anywhere
phil_burton

Activity : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11.07.14 19:49

phil_burton wrote:Does anyone have a transcript of Gerry's statement?

Last post on this link.....

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t10004p20-updates-only-libel-trial-8th-july-2014#268790
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by nglfi 11.07.14 19:52

ultimaThule wrote:
nglfi wrote:I think the reason they've gone after Amaral rather than the other authors (Well, their stated reason anyway), is that as the official police officer in charge of the case, his opinions and statements hold a lot more weight in the mind of the general public. People are apparently entitled to 'purport theories', but I think they thought it would be easy prey to go after Amaral for this reason and assumed he would settle out of court.

ETA Is it just me or is the word 'purport' used incorrectly by Gerry here? It's something I've always thought doesn't sound right.

As their experience hitherto has been that anyone or any institution they've threatened with libel action in the UK has rolled over, it seems to me the McCanns assumed the same would apply if they went after Dr Amaral, ngfli, but it appears they not only underestimated him, they also made a severe error in naming three other parties in the proceedings they've instituted in the Portuguese courts.

I heard him say it on a video, I think it was on youtube. He said something like 'I've got no problem with people purporting theories, but....' and then went on to criticise Sr Amaral. I will try and find a link to the video.
nglfi

Activity : 866

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 11.07.14 19:56

nglfi wrote:
ultimaThule wrote:

I heard him say it on a video, I think it was on youtube. He said something like 'I've got no problem with people purporting theories, but....' and then went on to criticise Sr Amaral. I will try and find a link to the video.
It was the Leveson Inquiry.
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by phil_burton 11.07.14 20:04

J
candyfloss wrote:

https://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t10004p20-updates-only-libel-trial-8th-july-2014#268790

Thank you.

GMC bringing up the dogs just shows how much they wish to discredit the findings. Me thinks he doth protest too much!

It signals an annoyance. Perhaps they didn't clean it we'll enough and are annoyed that some traces of blood were found.

Can we re-post the evidence of blood being found, just so there ambiguity?
phil_burton

Activity : 94

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 11.07.14 20:09

lj wrote:
HelenMeg wrote:
FH wrote:

Entry to medical school in the UK is very competitive. Most students go into medicine directly from school and exam entry requirements to study medicine were high,  well before the MC's  went to medical school, so one has to assume they are both bright enough to  attain really good exam qualifications. The degree itself is quite challenging. The absolute key to good exam technique  is to read/listen to/analyze  the question being asked really carefully and then answer the question you were asked.

I come from a family containing  many medical professionals. In addition,  for a number of years I supervised medical students in chemistry labs.  I have generally found them to be very smart and very articulate, with very good verbal reasoning skills. Not all were personable, or likeable, but they all knew how to answer questions. They had to memorize vast quantities of facts  and accurately answer questions on it.  It was the skill that got them where they were all through their studies. 

So how is it that every time I read what the MC's have said, I REALLY struggle to understand how these 2 people (and the rest of the tapas lot) , who must have demonstrated a really good ability to answer questions in the past ,  could possibly have such a poor command of the English language now. Whether they are answering questions, or making statements, they often appear totally inarticulate. 

To me there is a huge discrepancy between their expected vs. actual verbal abilities. These are people who  REALLY  should be able to form an articulate, factual answer.

So why do they sometimes come across as complete morons? Is that what happens when a brain that is used to dealing in hard facts, tries to lie.
FH - I think that is exactly what happens when a brain is having to lie. I thoroughly agree - when you read through the rogatory statements of this group of doctors, they appear inarticulate, vague and like bumbling idiots. Clearly, they are not. The only explanation for this is that they are not permitted to talk as in direct memory recall. They are always having to make allowances for the fact that there is a script that they are following. They are clearly not comfortable and having to think twice before they speak. Most telling for me was when Jenni Murray (Woman's Hour R4 - link http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01115hc)

Why should Kate need a significant pause to be able to answer that question? The immediate impression from both the pause, her answer and the way she says it, is that she momentarily didn't know what to say. But how could that be?
That was so revealing. If I ever had any doubt about their involvement, that took it all away.

I find it hard to believe how anyone hearing either of the McCanns speak about their eldest daughter can have any doubt as to their complicity in her disappearance, lj, and it seems to me there's no shortage of revealing 'one off' statements which are sufficient to convince even the most doubting of Thomases.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 11.07.14 20:18

ultimaThule wrote:
lj wrote:
HelenMeg wrote:
FH wrote:

I find it hard to believe how anyone hearing either of the McCanns speak about their eldest daughter can have any doubt as to their complicity in her disappearance, lj, and it seems to me there's no shortage of revealing 'one off' statements which are sufficient to convince even the most doubting of Thomases.

That's the "if I ever had any doubt".  big grin 

You are right there were many of those moments. 

Apart from that when the first "abducted while they were having diner in the Tapas bar" came through on the news around here, my reaction was "why aren't they in jail for neglect" followed by a "for the sake of my faith in humanity I hope they are not involved". Kind of famous first words.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/
lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell 11.07.14 20:21

phil_burton wrote:J
candyfloss wrote:

Thank you.

GMC bringing up the dogs just shows how much they wish to discredit the findings. Me thinks he doth protest too much!

It signals an annoyance. Perhaps they didn't clean it we'll enough and are annoyed that some traces of blood were found.

Can we re-post the evidence of blood being found, just so there ambiguity?
Yes, I think so too Phil.  It reminds me of past interviews that have gone horribly wrong, where I have thrown in something desperate and completely out of context to 'save' everything that has gone before.  Its like saying I'd be absolutely crap at organising your filing system, but I do love puppies.  Gerry was having that one final push, that grasp at a lifebelt floating away. Something, anything, to save that huge cash machine that is going down.
Cristobell

Activity : 2552

Back to top Go down

Post by stillsloppingout 11.07.14 20:26

ultimaThule wrote:

Very true , different people who casually follow this case , through the MSM , have points along the way when the penny drops either by an action , or a snippet being uncovered . They have taken her " stirred the first person who i know who was not sure to convert .
PP the photographer who took the apartment pix , was converted when seeing the size of the room, and there being no shelf to place cuddle cat , that was his eureka moment . 
They have been so unconvincing , Huntley was more eloquent and plausible when he spoke to the media outside his house . Ditto Shipman . They eventually will be caught out you simply cannot live in a parallel universe forever . Someday they will say something and it will be challenged ,probably on TV . Kate is on the precipice every time she speaks in public , one day she will slip it will be questioned . one day ....
stillsloppingout
stillsloppingout

Activity : 540

Back to top Go down

Post by Liz Eagles 11.07.14 20:33

Given that the word 'hypothesis' has been rightly or mistakenly translated in the court transcripts from those people kind enough to attend the court in Lisbon...here's a snippet from the McCannfiles.
Before reading take note that the Madeleine Foundation was also mentioned in the court.

[color:b78e=000000]''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
[color:b78e=000000]"On 12 May 2011, on what would have been Madeleine McCann's 8th birthday, Transworld will publish the McCanns' account of the disappearance of their daughter. At the same time, the Rupert Murdoch-owned Sun will serialise their book for a reported £200,000.The McCanns' chief public relations officer, Clarence Mitchell (who when he stopped working full-time for the McCanns went to work for Rupert Murdoch's son-in-law), admitted in March 2010 that Madeleine's disappearance was, quote, 'a complete mystery'.On 6 January this year, in an interview on Radio Humberside to promote the McCanns’ book, Mitchell went further. He conceded that Madeleine's abduction could not be regarded as a 'fact', but was merely an 'assumption' or 'hypothesis'. For over 3 years, The Madeleine Foundation has been saying the same thing. As our strap-line makes clear, we have been 'asking the questions about what really happened to Madeleine McCann'."

[color:b78e=000000][color:b78e=000000]http://www.mccannfiles.com/id363.html
Liz Eagles
Liz Eagles

Activity : 13351

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 11.07.14 21:21

Judge – What about the public in the UK?
GMC says that, thanks to the legal actions, the content of the book hasn't been published by the MSM, but small minority groups, in the UK, have launched campaigns of persecution against them, based on the book.
Judge – Can you name them?
GMC – Yes, we had legal actions against the Madeleine Foundation and the name is Anthony Bennett.
Judge – What relation exists between this group and the publication of the book?
GMC says that AB used parts of the book, interviewed Gonçalo Amaral and invited him on a forum.
Judge – Did the group exist before the publication?
GMC isn't sure about that. But he's able to say that the material they used was based on the allegations of the book. They published pamphlets that said that Madeleine hadn't been abducted. They distributed them to his neighbours and in the whole Leicestershire. This led AB to receive many warnings from his juridical counsels and finally to be sued.

He told the Judge two things:

Amaral's book content was not in the MSM.
He sued MF even though this group exists prior to the book.

I bet the Judge was impressed (not) with his revelation.

And, when asked by Judge if he was a specialist on dogs, I am surprised he did not say yes he knew enough to know they are incredibly unreliable.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Activity : 10084

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 11.07.14 21:40

http://portugalresident.com/mccanns-give-evidence-but-libel-trial-postponed-yet-again

Reason why Amaral's lawyer was relieved of duty.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 11.07.14 21:53

Taken from Joana's blog.
With thanks and acknowledgement to Joana Morais

Gerald McCann - Can I make a statement?

Judge - The statements in the Portuguese court system, unlike in England where people can give extemporaneous statements [see VPS], are the declarations, which consist on a series of questions put by the lawyers and judge and by the answers of the deponent, which you just gave. You can say something but it won't have any legal validity, nevertheless it will still be recorded.

Gerald McCann - I want to speak about the sniffer dogs. They never alerted to any blood in the car and they never alerted to cadaver odour...

Judge - [interrupts] We are not here to ascertain that, our perspective here in this court is to analyse your claim.

Gerald McCann - But the book states that as a fact!

Judge - To decide that there are already forensic experts. We are not here to prove if the contents of the book are truthful or not. Here we are only trying to establish if the freedom of expression of the defendants has affected the rights of the claimants. This court cannot be a substitute of the criminal investigation. [Turns to the interpreter] Tell the gentleman that he is excused.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by TellTheTruth 11.07.14 22:10

Smokeandmirrors wrote:
PeterMac wrote:
jeanmonroe wrote:
Woofer wrote:
So obvious the Judge is wondering why they picked on Goncalo`s book.
So obviously the Judge is WONDERING WHY they ONLY picked on GA's book.

And also obvious by extension, is that the judge has prepared herself, with evidence, and a very full consideration of the background
and is not merely relying on what the lawyers tell her.
We tend in the UK to think that our Accusatorial system is the way the rest of the world works.
It isn't.
She is demonstrating par excellence, the inquisitorial system, where she needs to know everything,
She knows about books of which Gerry, probably correctly, says he had no knowledge.

Well done.  Clever Judge.  

I don't believe for a minute, with their MMU (aka Kevin) they have not read the other books. I don't believe it for a second.
Still catching up.
This is exactly what I thought and tried to say a few pages back. 
She was well aware of these published books. Seems she was checking his knowledge and reaction to them.
MMU must have known, isn' t it their job?
He must have known there was no money in it for them chasing the other authors and anyway, seems his attack is personal.
 It' s GA he wants to ruin. sad1 

Imho
TellTheTruth

Activity : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 11.07.14 22:12

PeterMac wrote:
rainbow-fairy wrote:
Where is Amelie in this? Is she mute? Inconsequential? Seemingly transparent like Maddie?

Whooshed !

She didn't take the same school bus as Sean?

You got to wonder whether the twins attend different schools.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo 11.07.14 22:16

Woofer wrote:
Praiaaa wrote:Interesting that it is the judge asking those questions.
Give me hope.

So obvious the Judge is wondering why they picked on Goncalo`s book.

"His book sounds credible".......Kate McCann.
aiyoyo
aiyoyo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 11.07.14 22:19

IMO the school bus story is another fabrication.  They've hit a new low publicising the twins (twice within the last few weeks).  Desperation.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by XTC 11.07.14 22:30

Garrincha wrote:This is what I can’t get my head around:

Even after TM’s so-called “witnesses” testified there seems to be not one piece of (even prima facie) evidence to support this action. It seems to be hearsay from start to finish.

Yet TM have been able to freeze GA’s resources & tie him up in a case for over 5 years (I believe) – how??

How did this case even get to court in the first instance?

Is there not some threshold level regarding prima facie evidence which must be reached beforehand?

Why was this case even entertained in the first instance by the Portuguese courts?

And how on earth can it still remained unresolved after all this time?

And how on earth is it possible that there is still a chance GA will lose (as it appears there is)?
Just ' purporting ' a poser here.

If the AG's Final Report had have been published in English and in England do you think he/they would have been sued?

If I were the learned Judge I would ask why they didn't sue on the day of publication? The clever lawyers were warned in advance.

Therefore it was no surprise. Surprisingly though it took one year to set the ball rolling.

No prizes for guessing why- unless this was another stamp on an envelope that was never sent in time?
XTC

Activity : 210

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top