The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Rolf Harris article on BBC news

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rolf Harris article on BBC news

Post by MumofTwo on 02.07.14 12:21

Hello, I've been reading this forum for several months with interest, and never felt the urge to register and post before, but I read this articel on the BBC news website and it really made me think "here's my response to all those McCann defenders who ask how they could possibly be guilty when they put themsleves in the public eye in their campaign:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28112605

The line that got me was:
""It's very significant that he wanted to do the film and actively pushed to offer his services," says David Wilson, professor of criminology at Birmingham City University. "It was probably a reaction to the feelings of guilt about what he was doing at the time.
"It's also a case of hiding in plain sight. He was possibly trying to cover up what he was up to by doing a film about the subject. Perhaps, also, in his mind, it was a kind of penance for the abuse he was committing," says Wilson, a former prison governor responsible for a sex offender rehabilitation programme."

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thank you

MumofTwo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rolf Harris article on BBC news

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.07.14 12:43

@MumofTwo wrote:Hello, I've been reading this forum for several months with interest, and never felt the urge to register and post before, but I read this articel on the BBC news website and it really made me think "here's my response to all those McCann defenders who ask how they could possibly be guilty when they put themsleves in the public eye in their campaign:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28112605

The line that got me was:
""It's very significant that he wanted to do the film and actively pushed to offer his services," says David Wilson, professor of criminology at Birmingham City University. "It was probably a reaction to the feelings of guilt about what he was doing at the time.
"It's also a case of hiding in plain sight. He was possibly trying to cover up what he was up to by doing a film about the subject. Perhaps, also, in his mind, it was a kind of penance for the abuse he was committing," says Wilson, a former prison governor responsible for a sex offender rehabilitation programme."

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thank you
MumofTwo,

You probably remember the case of the two young girls from Soham, Holly Wells & Jessica Chapman, whose lives were cruelly taken from them by persistent sex offender Ian Huntley.

Huntley brazenly talked to the media on a number of occasions and lied fluently through his teeth to journalists.

In a later programme about him, a leading criminologist explained how some criminals like Huntley get a kick - huge inward delight - at being able to fool people with their lies. And they go on and on doing it...never stop - because fooling people with their lies becomes an addiction.

I put a BBC video about Huntley, where this is said, somewhere else on this forum, now you are a member you might find it by searching for 'Huntley'.  

That could be another factor in some of these cases

ETA: Extracts from BBC Rolf Harris article:

The TV entertainer Rolf Harris, who has been found guilty of 12 indecent assaults against girls, once made a video telling children how to avoid sexual abuse. The film is an extraordinary example of hiding in plain sight.

In 1982 Rolf Harris visited a youth theatre in Vancouver, Canada. A workshop taking place there addressed the issue of child abuse, in a way that was designed to advise the potential victims themselves.

The Green Thumb Theatre's Feeling Yes, Feeling No programme put into simple language the best ways to ward off unwanted attention, how to look for signs of inappropriateness and report sexual crimes. Harris, impressed by what he had seen, decided he would make a film along similar lines when he got home.

But Dennis Foon, who wrote the script for Feeling Yes, Feeling No when he was artistic director at the Green Thumb Theatre, did not know Harris had imitated his concept, formulated in the late 1970s, until he was approached for this feature following the guilty verdicts.

"It's amazing," he says. "I had no idea he'd done this. He plagiarised what we did here. What we set up here was a whole programme, designed to ensure everyone in the community was aware of the problem and how to deal with children's complaints. After all, it's a situation created by adults."

Harris's 20-minute video, called Kids Can Say No, came out in 1985. The last of the offences of which Harris was found guilty earlier this week was not committed until 1986.

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MumofTwo on 02.07.14 12:56

[quote="Tony Bennett
You probably remember the case of the two young girls from Soham, Holly Wells & Jessica Chapman, whose lives were cruelly taken from them by persistent sex offender Ian Huntley.

Huntley brazenly talked to the media on a number of occasions and lied fluently through his teeth to journalists.

[/quote]

I remember that all too clearly. He, too, from Day One, just like the McCanns, sent my 'spider senses' tingling.
I worked for many, many years in a branch of law enforcement that required making snap decisions about people as to whether you thought they were up to no good. Sometimes you had to work backwards from a 'hunch' until you found the evidence, sometimes you didn't find it, and sometimes the truth only became apparent a great time later.
(eg the individuals that later transpired to be Al Qaeda recruits had been 'on the radar' for years for their suspicious activities , many knew they were "wrong'uns", we just didn't know in what respect, because nobody had any concept of the lengths these terror groups were going to.)

MumofTwo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 02.07.14 13:16

@MumofTwo wrote:I worked for many, many years in a branch of law enforcement that required making snap decisions about people as to whether you thought they were up to no good. Sometimes you had to work backwards from a 'hunch' until you found the evidence, sometimes you didn't find it, and sometimes the truth only became apparent a great time later.
You will find much of interest here.

One poster you might like to look up is 'Hobs', who is an expert in forensic linguistics.

She has commented frequently on the words actually used by the McCanns - and there is a consensus on here that Hobs' insights are very penetrating and insightful.

Go to 'Membership', enter Hobs in the search bar, then when you get to her profie page, click on 'Statistics' and all her posts over the past few months come up

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum