The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Leon Brittan urged to comment on paedophile dossier

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Leon Brittan urged to comment on paedophile dossier

Post by Woofer on 01.07.14 22:16

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28113517

Leon Brittan urged to comment on 1980s 'paedophile dossier'
Leon Brittan was home secretary between 1983 and 1985
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

A Labour MP has called for a former home secretary to make public what he knew about allegations of paedophiles operating in Westminster in the 1980s.
Simon Danczuk said that a dossier of allegations about paedophiles was presented to Leon Brittan when he was home secretary between 1983 and 1985.
"It would be welcome if he stepped forward and shared his knowledge of the allegations", he told MPs.
The MP helped expose the late Liberal MP Cyril Smith as a child sex abuser.
Speaking at a meeting of the Commons Home Affairs Select committee, Mr Danczuk called for a national overarching "Hillsborough-style" inquiry into historical allegations of child sex abuse.
'Last refuge'
He said that politics was "the last refuge of child sex abuse deniers" and there was a view among many politicians that alleged offenders should not be named.
An inquiry would help identify other perpetrators, he said.
Earlier in the hearing he said that Cyril Smith escaped prosecution because he was "part of a network of people protecting each other".
His victims, Mr Danczuk said, were "poor, white, working class boys" in the same way that forty years later the victims of grooming in Rochdale were "poor, white, working class girls."
He referred to a police investigation into a former guest house in South London where children were allegedly abused in the 1980s.
The police have confirmed that Cyril Smith had been a visitor to Elm Guest House. Mr Danczuk said he had spoken to a victim Smith had abused there and that "other high profile figures are alleged to have attended there."
He said a dossier of allegations, compiled at the time by the former Conservative MP Geoffrey Dickens, had been presented to Mr Brittan.
In a separate development, the Crown Prosecution Service announced that it would release details of the advice it gave to police in the late 1990s which enabled Cyril Smith to escape prosecution. It would first take steps to protect the identities of the victims, a statement added

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Leon Brittan urged to comment on paedophile dossier

Post by Sonmi-451 on 01.07.14 22:27

"Cyril Smith escaped prosecution because he was "part of a network of people protecting each other".

Ignoring all I have read online about Leon (as it is spurious and unsubstantiated and libellous), and thus because I believe "that he is not part of any network of people protecting each other", I can't wait for Mr Brittan to co-operate and place justice and basic morality foremost!  Did Simon Danczuk give Leon a dealine to respond? If he did, I bet Leon beats the deadline in his childlike eagerness to help sort out this corrupt, abusing, self-serving, elitist society we're all enslaved and beholden to fund and sustain.

Sonmi-451

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 01.07.14 22:36

I've remarked on the late Geoffrey Dickens' dossier and his meeting with the then Home Secretary on occasions too numerous to mention and it's to be hoped that Leon Brittan will respond to Simon Danczuk by revealing what he knows of alleged paedophiles operating in Westminster in the very near future.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Leon Brittan

Post by FrankS on 02.07.14 10:30

I see Leon Brittan has come out the woodwork today even though he is talking guff. 

http://news.sky.com/story/1293572/ex-home-secretary-acted-on-paedophile-claims

FrankS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 02.07.14 10:35

Can this be merged into the original Leon Brittan thread from yesterday ?  No point having two going of the same topic.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 02.07.14 10:42

@Woofer wrote:Can this be merged into the original Leon Brittan thread from yesterday ?  No point having two going of the same topic.

Merged thumbsup

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankS on 02.07.14 10:48

@Woofer wrote:Can this be merged into the original Leon Brittan thread from yesterday ?  No point having two going of the same topic.
Sorry Woofer.

My fault - I did not see the other thread about this.

FrankS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasputin on 02.07.14 11:01

@FrankS wrote:I see Leon Brittan has come out the woodwork today even though he is talking guff. 

http://news.sky.com/story/1293572/ex-home-secretary-acted-on-paedophile-claims

Just like Clifford , Hall and Harris did before him.

Rasputin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by FrankS on 02.07.14 12:37

Surely the Home Office didn't try and 'sweep this under the carpet' then.

Leon's further statement be on sky news website soon.

FrankS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 02.07.14 15:07

http://news.sky.com/story/1293572/ex-home-secretary-acted-on-paedophile-claims (Side box)
Historic Paedophile Allegations
Updated: 2:24pm UK, Wednesday 02 July 2014

The Home Office has published the executive summary of an independent review it commissioned into the handling of information it received about organised child sex abuse between 1979 and 1999.
The report concluded the Home Office had acted "appropriately".
It was released as Leon Brittan said he had asked officials to "look carefully" at a dossier presented to him about alleged paedophile activity at Westminster, when he was Home Secretary in the 1980s.

A copy of the executive summary is published below.
Executive Summary

1.1. In February 2013 the Home Office Permanent Secretary commissioned an Independent Review of all Home Office files from 1979 to 1999 to identify any information received about organised child sex abuse. An experienced investigator from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is leading the Review with additional oversight provided by HMRC’s Director of Criminal Investigation.

1.2. The Independent Investigator has produced an Interim Report based on the examination of over 400 Home Office files and a targeted search for material directly relevant to contacts on child abuse between the late Geoffrey Dickens MP and the Home Office. The findings will be updated if the Review identifies additional relevant material in the ongoing wider search of Home Office files which is expected to be completed by June 2013.

1.3. The Independent Review has confirmed that the Home Office did receive information from Mr Dickens in November 1983 and in January 1984 about alleged child abuse. Copies of the material have not been retained but a Home Office file contains a copy letter dated 20th March 1984 from the Home Secretary in response to Mr Dickens. The letter confirms that the information was considered at the time and that any matters requiring investigation were referred to the Police.

1.4. The letter is not suitable for publication as it contains details of one case of alleged child abuse from which it would be possible to identify the victim. However, the following extract explains how the information which Mr Dickens provided was handled at the time.

“Dear Geoff,

You drew my attention to a number of allegations concerning paedophilia when you called here on 23 November and in subsequent letters.

I am now able to tell you that, in general terms, the view of the Director of Public Prosecutions is that two of the letters you forwarded could form the basis for enquiries by the police and they are now being passed to the appropriate authorities. In other cases there either seems to be inadequate evidence to pursue prosecution, for example the lady who wrote about PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange) advertising but did not secure any example of the material complained of, or they have already been dealt with in some way by the courts or the police.”

1.5. Mr Dickens was a robust campaigner on child protection issues and used Parliamentary Privilege to name alleged offenders if he believed appropriate action was not being taken. He challenged his own Government on child protection issues in Parliament and in the media when he disagreed with policies or decisions. The Independent Review has found no evidence of Mr Dickens expressing dissatisfaction about the action taken in respect of the information he had passed on.

1.6. On 17th March 1986 in his response to a debate in Parliament about the use of Parliamentary Privilege, and referring to information he had received about alleged child abuse, Mr Dickens said:
“I always sent the files to the Home Office, which investigated the cases for me, and in many cases to the chief constables concerned.”

1.7. On 31st March 1987 during his speech in a Parliamentary debate on the admissibility of video evidence in court proceedings Mr Dickens said:
“I should like to place on record my thanks to the Home Office and the departments within the Home Office for following up the many cases that I keep sending to it. I should also like to thank the Attorney-General. They have been very helpful and a strength to me in my campaigns.”

1.8. Full details of these statements are publicly available via www.parliament.uk in Hansard reports of Parliamentary business.

1.9. The Independent Investigator’s Interim Report and a full copy of the relevant Home Office file have been passed to the Metropolitan Police Service for information in relation to their current investigations of allegations of historic child abuse.

Interesting that Milliband did not bring it up at PMQs, with Harman siting on his left hand and Dromey on the back benches . . .

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 02.07.14 15:59

@PeterMac wrote:http://news.sky.com/story/1293572/ex-home-secretary-acted-on-paedophile-claims           (Side box)
Historic Paedophile Allegations
Updated: 2:24pm UK, Wednesday 02 July 2014

The Home Office has published the executive summary of an independent review it commissioned into the handling of information it received about organised child sex abuse between 1979 and 1999.
The report concluded the Home Office had acted "appropriately".
It was released as Leon Brittan said he had asked officials to "look carefully" at a dossier presented to him about alleged paedophile activity at Westminster, when he was Home Secretary in the 1980s.

A copy of the executive summary is published below.
Executive Summary

1.1. In February 2013 the Home Office Permanent Secretary commissioned an Independent Review of all Home Office files from 1979 to 1999 to identify any information received about organised child sex abuse. An experienced investigator from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is leading the Review with additional oversight provided by HMRC’s Director of Criminal Investigation.

1.2. The Independent Investigator has produced an Interim Report based on the examination of over 400 Home Office files and a targeted search for material directly relevant to contacts on child abuse between the late Geoffrey Dickens MP and the Home Office. The findings will be updated if the Review identifies additional relevant material in the ongoing wider search of Home Office files which is expected to be completed by June 2013.

1.3. The Independent Review has confirmed that the Home Office did receive information from Mr Dickens in November 1983 and in January 1984 about alleged child abuse. Copies of the material have not been retained but a Home Office file contains a copy letter dated 20th March 1984 from the Home Secretary in response to Mr Dickens. The letter confirms that the information was considered at the time and that any matters requiring investigation were referred to the Police.

1.4. The letter is not suitable for publication as it contains details of one case of alleged child abuse from which it would be possible to identify the victim. However, the following extract explains how the information which Mr Dickens provided was handled at the time.

“Dear Geoff,

You drew my attention to a number of allegations concerning paedophilia when you called here on 23 November and in subsequent letters.

I am now able to tell you that, in general terms, the view of the Director of Public Prosecutions is that two of the letters you forwarded could form the basis for enquiries by the police and they are now being passed to the appropriate authorities. In other cases there either seems to be inadequate evidence to pursue prosecution, for example the lady who wrote about PIE (Paedophile Information Exchange) advertising but did not secure any example of the material complained of, or they have already been dealt with in some way by the courts or the police.”

1.5. Mr Dickens was a robust campaigner on child protection issues and used Parliamentary Privilege to name alleged offenders if he believed appropriate action was not being taken. He challenged his own Government on child protection issues in Parliament and in the media when he disagreed with policies or decisions. The Independent Review has found no evidence of Mr Dickens expressing dissatisfaction about the action taken in respect of the information he had passed on.

1.6. On 17th March 1986 in his response to a debate in Parliament about the use of Parliamentary Privilege, and referring to information he had received about alleged child abuse, Mr Dickens said:
“I always sent the files to the Home Office, which investigated the cases for me, and in many cases to the chief constables concerned.”

1.7. On 31st March 1987 during his speech in a Parliamentary debate on the admissibility of video evidence in court proceedings Mr Dickens said:
“I should like to place on record my thanks to the Home Office and the departments within the Home Office for following up the many cases that I keep sending to it. I should also like to thank the Attorney-General. They have been very helpful and a strength to me in my campaigns.”

1.8. Full details of these statements are publicly available via www.parliament.uk in Hansard reports of Parliamentary business.

1.9. The Independent Investigator’s Interim Report and a full copy of the relevant Home Office file have been passed to the Metropolitan Police Service for information in relation to their current investigations of allegations of historic child abuse.

Interesting that Milliband did not bring it up at PMQs, with Harman siting on his left hand and Dromey on the back benches . . .

Harperson on Millibean's left, PeterM? Who was sitting at his right hand? Mr Testicles?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 02.07.14 16:04

@ultimaThule wrote:Harperson on Millibean's left, PeterM?  Who was sitting at his right hand?  Mr Testicles?
Indeed, and at one point Mr T placed his open left hand on the bench where a moment before the Millipede had been sitting.
Sadly he withdrew it before the Hon Member resumed his seat. Or at least I believe he did . . .

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 02.07.14 19:58

If you run the tape again in slo-mo you may see that Mr Testicles wears a jacket with 2 arms on the left hand side so that Millibean is never without a reassuring hand up on his bum back, PeterM  

It is thought that Ms Harperson has a number of 3 arm jackets in her wardrobe which were made by her very good pal Maggie's dressmaker and that Pasty H is most miffed that she hasn't yet been measured for one  yes 

Is it just me or is the newly made over Millibean looking increasingly like a dummy with every appearance he makes?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 02.07.14 22:45

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 02.07.14 22:58

Going to get Very interesting as PIE is at the centre of the whole thing..
HARMAN.
DROMEY (= Mr Harman)
and HEWITT ( now no longer an MP)

All legal officers and apologists for the National Council for Civil Liberties - now called Liberty
which embraced and funded the PIE for MANY YEARS !

Nopt surprising that Milliband did not bring to bring it up at PMQs this week.
Though by next week he will have no choice. Someone else will do it for him !

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 02.07.14 23:37

Lest we forget, Margaret Eve Hodge, Labour MP for Barking (how very apt), a former Leader of Islington Council and a much derided Minister for Children under Bliar's government, turned a blind eye to concerns about sexual abuse of children in Islington Council's care and rubbished one of the victims by referring to him as 'an extremely disturbed person' - a descrption for which she was subsequently required to instruct a barrister to make her formal apology in the High Court in 2009 accompanied by a payment of £30,000, which is no more than loose change for a woman whose family firm has an apparently legal and exceedingly beneficial arrangement with the taxman.

As it would seem that no political party is without sin, the reluctance to have an all out ding dong in the Commons cast the first stone is unsurprising but, as others have discovered, stones are invariably turned, albeit in some cases many years after the event.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 02.07.14 23:41

"Margaret Eve Hodge, Labour MP for Barking (how very apt)",  spit coffee

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by petunia on 03.07.14 0:37

Sick Sick Britain,this will be in the news for a couple of day's then we hear nothing more about it governments past and present all piss in the same pot when it comes to these matters IMO.

petunia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 03.07.14 4:25

They relieve themselves in the same pot because they all have their noses stuck in the same trough, petunia.

This article gives some insight into what the late Geofrrey Dickens endured at hands of his fellow MPs for having the temertiy to speak about out about matters which they collectively chose to ignore http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2678576/Leon-Brittans-faulty-memory-ticking-timebomb-shake-Westminster-Tory-peer-faces-questions-1980s-files-complied-MP-Geoffrey-Dickens-Westminster-paedophile-ring.html and I'm optimistc that this time round those who should have been named and shamed years ago will come to the attention of the wider public,.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 03.07.14 10:34

convenient that a "major terror threat" was announced today, taking LB off front pages.

Just like the tanks deployed at Heathrow

sar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 03.07.14 10:50

@sar wrote:convenient that a "major terror threat" was announced today, taking LB off front pages.

Just like the tanks deployed at Heathrow

I had to laugh at the tanks. I'm no military strategist, but I can't for the life of me imagine exactly what nature of terrorist threat can be successfully countered with tanks. Except, perhaps, the imminent arrival of Rommel.

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 03.07.14 10:57

i think they are running a bit short of "material" to last them up to the trial so best dig out the good ol' 'nameless terror' page fillers! (Somewhere in the bowels of the place that shall remain Nameless) "Hang on, if we get the yanks to pump out this story it'll seem like we're just protecting the 'good citizens of Britain'."  "Yeah, and your place on the next pseudo-intelligence think-tank / policy bureau is a shoe in!"  [high fives all round]

sar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueBag on 03.07.14 18:12

Surely Simon Danczuk had many copies of his dossier?

BlueBag

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 03.07.14 18:14

They are now calling for the victims to come forward again, and to re-create the dossier.
Some whitewash washes off.
Some cover-ups get uncovered.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comperedna on 03.07.14 18:18

I bet Dickens himself lodged several copies in safe places. He knew enough to realize how devious some Whitehall and Westminster bigwigs can be. Trouble is, if one does get 'retrieved' it can be declared 'not genuine' and not like the one Dickens handed in.

comperedna

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum