The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Goncalo Amaral,"Sick and bankrupt".

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Goncalo Amaral,"Sick and bankrupt".

Post by Tony Bennett on 23.06.14 8:27

The McCanns brought this libel action against Goncalo Amaral and therefore have prime responsibility for his state of health and mind at the moment, whatever that might be precisely.

But almost equally responsible is his own country - Portugal - and its judicial system. 

They have:

* allowed the McCanns to apply ex parte (without notice to Amaral) to the Court in September 2009 for an order banning his book, impounding his stock of books from bookshops and warehouses, and freezing his assets - all without even hearing his side of the story

* this forced him to spend a huge amount of money appealing this unjust decision

* in January/February 2010 there were four days of hearings which made the wrong decision in law (see below) - to continue banning his book

* despite his winning his appeal against the book-banning in the Court of Appeal (Oct 2010) and then successfully defending the McCanns' appeal to the Supreme Court (Mar 2011), AFAIK the court did not order the McCanns to pay, immediately, Amaral's legal costs

* the Courts have faffed around for over five years with endless hearings, delays and adjournments - despite the fact that the book which is at the heart of the libel trial has been freely on sale again for nearly 4 years (since Oct 2010), starkly illustrating the principle: 'justice delayed is justice denied' 

* the Portuguiese Courts have allowed the lawyers on both sides to prosper, whilst their respective clients wait and wait for a verdict

* they allowed convicted murderess-of-her-own-child Leonor Cipriano to bring a ridiculous set of criminal charges against Goncalo Amaral and four of his detective colleagues (incidentally she was represented by lying lawyer Marcos Aragao Corriea, paid to do so by Metodo 3, who in turn were paid by the McCann Team)  

* in May 2009 the Court wrongly convicted Goncalo Amaral of 'filing a false report', sentencing him to a humiliating 18-month jail sentence, suspended, in a case where he had successfullly brought this woman to justice for her crime, after she initially told the world that her daughter, Joana, had been 'abducted'

* the higher Court summarily rejected his appeal against conviction

* the Courts also dismissed Amaral's legal action against Marcos Aragao Correia.

A Portuguese fighter for the truth has been treated utterly shamefully by his own country's legal system 

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 23.06.14 8:30

1.Everyone shall possess the right to freely express and publicise his thoughts in words, images or by any other means, as well as the right to inform others, inform himself and be informed without hindrance or discrimination

2.Exercise of the said rights shall not be hindered or limited by any type or form of censorship

Constitution of the Portuguese Republic, Article 37.º

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.06.14 10:12

@Tony Bennett wrote: [...]
* allowed the McCanns to apply ex parte (without notice to Amaral) to the Court in September 2009 for an order banning his book, impounding his stock of books from bookshops and warehouses, and freezing his assets - all without even hearing his side of the story [...]
This is not unique to Portugal, Tony. I had my house confiscated once exactly that way, on the say-so of a nasty little person, who claimed there was an unpaid invoice and I was about to "flee" the country ... It took me 4 years and a lot of money, to end up with a "verdict," that I should pay 50% of this non-existing invoice.

Back to top Go down

Post by joyce1938 on 23.06.14 10:25

Reading more this last few days it just seems to me .poor Mr Amaral  is the scape goat,as we would call it here . Will anything stop this happening? looking at the pj and the way the English team could go over to Portugal ,start digging where it could be proved that had been undertaken ,as soon as child had gone . Is the pj  of the understanding that mr amaral is wrong in his estimating when on said case? do they go along with all the lies ? we have hoped that there is much more evidence maybe kept ready for case if it ever gets to court ? Its what keeps us going ,because there seems no where near a reason they will ever appear there . What exactly is the difference REALLY ,BETWEEN THE PJ REASONING AND ENGLISH POLICE ?ND WHY WAS MR AMARAL TAKEN OFF THE CASE AFTER 6 MONTHS ,THAT BEGS THE QUESTION  bothers me ,do we really think after all that ,the prt. pj think the thoughts of amaral ? and will take it forward that way ? just makes the mind boggle ,because pj are very secretive on all sides ,doesn't mean a lot . just felling how onearth will this ever end ? joyce1938

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.06.14 10:35

@PeterMac wrote:

He looks jolly in that pic. The same cannot be said of the McCanns recent pic.
What a contrast !

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fossey on 23.06.14 10:36

@Joyce1938.

The PJ are very secretive indeed.

I really want to know what the lead investigator (and the rest of the PJ Police involved) really thinks of all this. 

There was a reason the PJ re-opened the investigation.

Surely they would not re-open it unless they were confident of solving it.

I'm sure the PJ are absolutely on GA's side.

I should imagine snippets of information have been deliberately leaked to him as well in regards to the progress of it all.

Hence GA's delay strategy of the libel.

All for a reason.

fossey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joyce1938 on 23.06.14 10:45

Thanks for your reply fossey,I too hope so ,but after amaral being taken off the case and sent to faro ,where he decided to leave altogether,i still wonder ,if the rest of PJ ,a would dare to try the same route  hereafter ? in fear of getting pushed out and could also be sent elsewhere? The case really has become so convoluted now with all the ideas of us all ,none we can prove after all this time I fear ,and some really so odd that its become a bit difficult to keep sane . must go back and read the files me thinks and get some order in mind ,too much reading of just peoples thoughts ,as pete mac has often said we do need to stick to the files and remember al ot we will read here, will have no real relivence. joyce1938

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 23.06.14 10:53

Châtelaine wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote: [...]
* allowed the McCanns to apply ex parte (without notice to Amaral) to the Court in September 2009 for an order banning his book, impounding his stock of books from bookshops and warehouses, and freezing his assets - all without even hearing his side of the story [...]
This is not unique to Portugal, Tony. I had my house confiscated once exactly that way, on the say-so of a nasty little person, who claimed there was an unpaid invoice and I was about to "flee" the country ... It took me 4 years and a lot of money, to end up with a "verdict," that I should pay 50% of this non-existing invoice.
I heartily sympathise.

It is a further good example of the necessity of hearing both sides of any story.

There are some cases, mentioning no names, where people try to ensure that only one side of the story is heard

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 23.06.14 10:58

@fossey wrote:@Joyce1938.

The PJ are very secretive indeed.

I really want to know what the lead investigator (and the rest of the PJ Police involved) really thinks of all this. 

There was a reason the PJ re-opened the investigation.

Surely they would not re-open it unless they were confident of solving it.

I'm sure the PJ are absolutely on GA's side.

I should imagine snippets of information have been deliberately leaked to him as well in regards to the progress of it all.

Hence GA's delay strategy of the libel.

All for a reason.
That is certainly one view.

But another view is that they simply re-opened it under pressure from the British authorities and media, who were baying for the Portuguese to re-open their investigation and 'co-operate properly' with the famous and brilliant Scotland Yard.

Theymay for the past two years or so (for all we know - and we don't know) have done no more than simply do the absolute minimum necessary to appear to be co-operating

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 23.06.14 11:04

Apparently, Scotland Yard may conduct further searches. It'd be interesting if they happened to coincide with the last two days of the libel trial

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 23.06.14 11:15

Talking about the searches, I still don't get it what intelligence led OG to the three locations to redo areas PJ had already searched, and then why they abandoned search so suddenly before timeline runs out.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on 23.06.14 12:11

I'm amazed that GA has managed to soldier on for as long as he has.  The McCanns have had an army of some of the best lawyers in the world at their disposal.  These laywers know every trick in the book and, as Tony's post above shows - they have deployed them ruthlessly against Amaral for the past 5 years.  It's impossible to appreciate the stress that the letters, legal threats, constant set-backs and delays must have caused him.   

It's also impossible to comprehend the level of vindictiveness displayed by the McCanns in this matter.  This is a 5-year campaign, and the depth of their hatred and bitterness - 5 years on from the publishing of a BOOK was visible last week for all to see.  This is about a book FFS.   

GA's recent action and statements suggest that he believes (rightly or wrongly) that all the activity and timings by SY mean that a high-level cover-up is underway and that he will be sacrificed as part of it.  His delaying tactic may well just be that - a wish to delay what he fears is now inevitable - the court finding him guilty.   I just hope he's wrong.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChippyM on 23.06.14 12:15

@aiyoyo wrote:Talking about the searches, I still don't get it what intelligence led OG to the three locations  to redo areas PJ had already searched, and then why they abandoned search so suddenly before timeline runs out.

The other way to look at it is that they found something they were looking for, the papers were the ones suggesting they 'packed up' and went home before time. IMO suggesting that the recent digs were cancelled and SY only found bits of old rubbish benefits team McCann, so I am sceptical to those reports being accurate.

As for the intelligence, who knows? maybe the next phase of operations might gives clues as to what is guiding their searches.

ChippyM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on 23.06.14 12:31

Just a reminder of the effort (and money) expended by the McCanns and their lawyers since Maddie's disappearance.   This is what Amaral is up against.

(graphic taken from twitter - source and accuracy unknown)

These are clearly two very disturbed individuals with an endless supply of expert legal backing.  Unique in UK criminal history.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 23.06.14 12:33

The McCanns have had an army of some of the best lawyers in the world at their disposal. These laywers know every trick in the book and,........they have deployed them ruthlessly against Amaral for the past 5 years...........
---------------------------------------------------

AND

This ARMY of best lawyers in the world have NOT 'produced' a scintilla of evidence that Madeleine McCann WAS 'abducted'!

OR

That GA's 'theory/thesis/hypothesis' is WRONG, in any way, shape or form!

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.06.14 12:51

@jeanmonroe wrote:The McCanns have had an army of some of the best lawyers in the world at their disposal.  These laywers know every trick in the book and,........they have deployed them ruthlessly against Amaral for the past 5 years...........

AND

This ARMY of best lawyers in the world have NOT 'produced' a scintilla of evidence that Madeleine McCann WAS 'abducted'!

OR

I believe the Mc's picked the wrong battle, the wrong battlefield and the wrong person to tangle with when they took on Goncalo Amaral. I don't believe they and their legal teams ever thought it would get this far.

Have faith for a while longer folks. It's not over yet and when the fat lady sings I expect to hear her sing a song in Portuguese.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 23.06.14 13:24

@aquila wrote:
I believe the Mc's picked the wrong battle, the wrong battlefield and the wrong person to tangle with when they took on Goncalo Amaral. I don't believe they and their legal teams ever thought it would get this far.

Have faith for a while longer folks. It's not over yet and when the fat lady sings I expect to hear her sing a song in Portuguese.
Which brings swiftly to mind the following words on page 290 of Dr Kate McCann's book 'madeleine':

"Friends flag up some of the worst offenders for us, but in the end it comes down to picking your battles. You could spend your whole life doing nothing but trying to shut down crank websites with little prospect of success".

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 23.06.14 13:49

Yep. The T'internet must really feel like a thorn in their side.

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.06.14 13:50

@Bishop Brennan wrote:This is a 5-year campaign, and the depth of their hatred and bitterness - 5 years on from the publishing of a BOOK was visible last week for all to see.  This is about a book FFS.  
Yep, a book.

But Kate McCann said she could probably forgive the 'abductor'.

daft

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.06.14 13:51

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@aquila wrote:

Which brings swiftly to mind the following words on page 290 of Dr Kate McCann's book 'madeleine':

"Friends flag up some of the worst offenders for us, but in the end it comes down to picking your battles. You could spend your whole life doing nothing but trying to shut down crank websites with little prospect of success".
What's the worst that can happen to GA in the event of losing in the libel trial?

He loses money that's already been impounded for 5 years.

He's already managed to live without it for five years so he doesn't exactly need it to eat and keep a roof over his head. People around him help him too. The McCanns on the other hand are still living under the same roof on a single salary and have a need to keep their comfortable existence.

Nothing to lose Team McCann - he has nothing to lose.

He loses credibility.

in the eyes of whom?

The spineless UK media fed by the pink one have already assassinated his character, his competence and his reputation.

He's still alive. He's still standing by his word. Unless he's planning to upsticks and live in a foreign country such as UK I doubt his reputation could ever be as damaged as the McCanns is on either their home turf or in Portugal. If the McCanns should triumph what will they do? will they embark on an open assault on him in the media? Will K&G become saints and GA become the devil? TM have already done that.

Nothing to lose Team McCann - he has nothing to lose.

A prison sentence?

It's a libel trial. He's not going to prison.

Will GA's book become more popular?

Yes.

Will GA's book become mentioned at every opportunity?

Yes.

Will TM's litigious nature become more apparent?

Yes.

Who is the loser?

It's not GA even if a ruling goes against him.

Just my opinion as ever.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 23.06.14 13:53

@jeanmonroe wrote:The McCanns have had an army of some of the best lawyers in the world at their disposal.  These laywers know every trick in the book and,........they have deployed them ruthlessly against Amaral for the past 5 years...........
AND
OR
They don't have to.

And that is exactly why they are said to be the Best Lawyers in the World.
And why there are able to charge a third of a million pounds for their services.

We all have to understand that the McCanns and their lawyers are NOT seeking the truth.
On the contrary, their aim is actively to prevent the proper investigation of a serious offence.

Only we, in our naivéte, are hoping that Facts and Truth will eventually emerge.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Griffin on 23.06.14 13:56

I don't even see how it's libel when it's a book detailing GA's opinion based on his long experience and nose for the job, and based on the facts of what the PJ (and others) uncovered in the investigation. Is he saying anything that isn't true? Ditto Tony Bennett. Can't you have an opinion these days?

Brian Griffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 23.06.14 14:05

@Brian Griffin wrote:I don't even see how it's libel when it's a book detailing GA's opinion based on his long experience and nose for the job, and based on the facts of what the PJ (and others) uncovered in the investigation. Is he saying anything that isn't true? Ditto Tony Bennett. Can't you have an opinion these days?

Not according to the mccanns your not

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 23.06.14 14:16

AND

OR

I don't agree that Isabel Duarte ranks among 'the best lawyers in the world', jeanm, and, imo, it was foolish in the extreme to embark on a claim for damages without having first appealed the Supreme Court of Portugal's ruling on the injunction to the European Courts and without ensuring that her clients' witnesses were of sufficient calibre to substantiate their claims.

That said, it seems to me that the McCanns prefer to seek advice from those who tell them what they want to hear and that, with certain exceptions, those they choose to advise them are unlikely to be the recipients of information which may make them think twice about doing so.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 23.06.14 14:21

@ultimaThule wrote:

AND

OR

I don't agree that Isabel Duarte ranks among 'the best lawyers in the world', jeanm, and, imo, it was foolish in the extreme to embark on a claim for damages without having first appealed the Supreme Court of Portugal's ruling on the injunction to the European Courts and without ensuring that her clients' witnesses were of sufficient calibre to substantiate their claims.

That said, it seems to me that the McCanns prefer to seek advice from those who tell them what they want to hear and that, with certain exceptions, those they choose to advise them are unlikely to be the recipients of information which may make them think twice about doing so.
Good post uT.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum