The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Post by aquila on 12.06.14 22:50

@ultimaThule wrote:I've got news for Gezza, Bishop.,  All eyes in the house will remain dry because his Portuguese audience won't have a clue what he's banging on about until his words are translated, and any English speakers won't have a clue what he's on about because of his ability to mangle syntax and render words unintelligble.

All things considered, it seems to me he's best advised to mime his speech  yes
Jeepers, do you have a problem with a Glaswegian accent UT?

Do you have a problem with Scottish people?

You do seem to belittle GM by calling him 'the wee one' blah blah.

Do you think people from Glasgow are dim?

Do you think people in Glasgow come from slums?

I can't help but be exasperated by your constant denigration of anyone from Glasgow (never mind Gerald McCann).

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 12.06.14 22:52

Well the ladies seem to have their claws out again so I'll slink off and watch the footy! flag

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Libel Case Judgement Report and rules of privilege under Defamation Act 2013

Post by JackieL on 12.06.14 22:55

It's been said before, but it's worth repeating:  if the McCanns lose the libel case what will be interesting to see is how the UK press report the case - because if Gerry and Kate come unstuck there really will be no hiding place  for the press behind our draconian libel laws which is their usual excuse.

Certain situations are covered by "privilege" in the UK, which means that potentially defamatory statements can be made whilst being protected from the thread of being sued for libel.  Privileged comments include statements made in the Houses of Parliament and statements made in UK court proceedings that are reported fairly, accurately and contemporaneously and are therefore protected by absolute privilege (so the journalist and newspaper can't get sued for reporting what witnesses say in a trial in a UK court.)  This recognises  journalism’s perceived or actual role in the transparency of justice.

The new libel law - the Defamation Act 2013 extends  qualified privilege on a fair and accurate copy of, extract from or summary of a document made available by a court anywhere in the world, or by a judge or officer of such a court. So, technically the judge's report from the libel trial could (and should) be reported VERBATIM by the UK press with no fear of libel.
If the McCanns lose the trial and the UK press DON'T publish the judge's report in full, we know there's been a cover-up.

The stakes are really very, very high.

JackieL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on 12.06.14 22:58

goodpost 

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by missmar1 on 12.06.14 23:11

@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:I've got news for Gezza, Bishop.,  All eyes in the house will remain dry because his Portuguese audience won't have a clue what he's banging on about until his words are translated, and any English speakers won't have a clue what he's on about because of his ability to mangle syntax and render words unintelligble.

To be fair the audience for the speech is not the court but rather the Great British Public and red top readers who will be able to read the entire speech (copies helpfully supplied to all editors) the next day with their morning cuppa.  So in fact the big money is for Gerry to offer (sell) a free tissue with every paper, so that our tears don't spoil the tea.  

missmar1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cockerspaniel on 12.06.14 23:13

hohum

cockerspaniel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 12.06.14 23:16

@Bishop Brennan wrote:

To be fair the audience for the speech is not the court but rather the Great British Public and red top readers who will be able to read the entire speech (copies helpfully supplied to all editors) the next day with their morning cuppa.  So in fact the big money is for Gerry to offer (sell) a free tissue with every paper, so that our tears don't spoil the tea.  

Agree, though they will endeavour to influence the judge their speeches will be very much directed at the British audience, and they know media will lap it up. There'll probably be speeches outside as well as inside court.
Imo the media remains fully onside and the threat of Carter Ruck really doesn't explain the one-sided coverage. Information that could be published without being libellous is very often withheld. For instance the McCanns are claiming £465.000 for Madeleine but she is a Ward of Court and the judge has ruled that they must produce documentation from the British court or their claim for her is invalid. To my knowledge no UK media outlet has mentioned this.

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 12.06.14 23:17

@JackieL wrote:It's been said before, but it's worth repeating:  if the McCanns lose the libel case what will be interesting to see is how the UK press report the case - because if Gerry and Kate come unstuck there really will be no hiding place  for the press behind our draconian libel laws which is their usual excuse.

Certain situations are covered by "privilege" in the UK, which means that potentially defamatory statements can be made whilst being protected from the thread of being sued for libel.  Privileged comments include statements made in the Houses of Parliament and statements made in UK court proceedings that are reported fairly, accurately and contemporaneously and are therefore protected by absolute privilege (so the journalist and newspaper can't get sued for reporting what witnesses say in a trial in a UK court.)  This recognises  journalism’s perceived or actual role in the transparency of justice.

The new libel law - the Defamation Act 2013 extends  qualified privilege on a fair and accurate copy of, extract from or summary of a document made available by a court anywhere in the world, or by a judge or officer of such a court. So, technically the judge's report from the libel trial could (and should) be reported VERBATIM by the UK press with no fear of libel.
If the McCanns lose the trial and the UK press DON'T publish the judge's report in full, we know there's been a cover-up.

The stakes are really very, very high.

The stakes are indeed very high, but I can't agree that the absence of full reporting of another verdict in respect of litigation the McCanns have undertaken in Portugal should be seen as evidence of a 'cover-up' as it seems to me that the UK MSM have gone to quite extraordinary lengths to ensure that there can be no grounds to substantiate a claim that the right to fair trial has been compromised in respect of any British nationals who are brought to account in law for the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, JackieL.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cassius on 12.06.14 23:49

@aquila wrote:

Jeepers, do you have a problem with a Glaswegian accent UT?

Do you have a problem with Scottish people?

You do seem to belittle GM by calling him 'the wee one' blah blah.

Do you think people from Glasgow are dim?

Do you think people in Glasgow come from slums?

I can't help but be exasperated by your constant denigration of anyone from Glasgow (never mind Gerald McCann).
UT, NO ES LA PRIMERA VEZ .que pasa contigo?

cassius

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sonmi-451 on 12.06.14 23:59

Just wondering... Is an option for the judge to uphold the McCann's case, but award them just a meagre amount in damages, instead of the bundles of cash they want? Or does a McCann victory automatically mean they get the full amount they specified when they lodged their claim, (minus the WoC portion)?

Sonmi-451

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 13.06.14 8:12

@Sonmi-451 wrote:Just wondering... Is an option for the judge to uphold the McCann's case, but award them just a meagre amount in damages, instead of the bundles of cash they want? Or does a McCann victory automatically mean they get the full amount they specified when they lodged their claim, (minus the WoC portion)?
Don't think that will be an option for the judge as Rocky will win imo.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 13.06.14 8:36

@ultimaThule wrote:
@bobbin wrote:
@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:
Gezza can't wait, Bishop?   I bet he can't - and if I knew what brand of loo rolls grace the bogs facilities of Rothley Towers, I'd have bought shares long ago  big grin :

I agree. He couldn't wait to spin the useless SY search into the media, and is even now working non stop on his and Kate's impassioned, emotional speech for the trial on Monday.  There won't be a dry eye in the house once they've finished and they will probably be offering tissues to all in the courtroom and media before commencing their speech.  
Don't you mean 'selling'.  spin 

It's to be hoped that,  while her spouse is performing centre stage, Kate will be parading the aisles flogging selling only good quality loo rolls and none of that rough stuff, bobbin  laughat
No, she'll be selling the rough stuff but at the inflated price of the 'soft fluffy words' stuff.
Do you really think she gives a flying f**k about saving anyone else's arse.  laughat 

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web on 13.06.14 8:58

Could it be that SY have purposely done GA a favour here??

He's being sued by the McCann's because they say his book was stopping people from searching for Madeleine.

SY have just spent millions on doing what? Searching for Madeleine.......

Immediately after which, the libel trial resumes  titter 

Tangled Web

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Shuffle on 13.06.14 9:53

After seeing hope come and go in the justice for Madeleine, I really do now think that GA is going to lose the trial. After all this "digging" saga, to say that MBM may still be alive. There is no more hope for justice...jmo  sad

Silver Shuffle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web on 13.06.14 9:56

@Silver Shuffle wrote:After seeing hope come and go in the justice for Madeleine, I really do now think that GA is going to lose the trial. After all this "digging" saga, to say that MBM may still be alive. There is no more hope for justice...jmo  sad

But haven't SY said they are working on the theory that she was killed and buried locally? There doesn't seem to be any belief that she is alive now.

Tangled Web

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by joyce1938 on 13.06.14 9:59

I just worry now about mr Amaral state of health ,the last picture he looks ill . How much more can one man take ?I just do hope the libel trial that starts again Monday 16th june ,will give him the time to speak ,only fair if the others both have chance to .  Its hopeless to try to forward guess what the judge will feel about this .  joyce1938

joyce1938

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Shuffle on 13.06.14 10:03

@Tangled Web wrote:
@Silver Shuffle wrote:After seeing hope come and go in the justice for Madeleine, I really do now think that GA is going to lose the trial. After all this "digging" saga, to say that MBM may still be alive. There is no more hope for justice...jmo  sad

But haven't SY said they are working on the theory that she was killed and buried locally? There doesn't seem to be any belief that she is alive now.
Yes, but they found nothing.

Silver Shuffle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SchrodingersBody on 13.06.14 10:05

Has anyone got a link to the actual libel claim ? the wording of it might be interesting in trying to work out the outcome.

SchrodingersBody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 13.06.14 10:05

@Silver Shuffle wrote:
@Tangled Web wrote:

We don't know that. Could be the opposite.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web on 13.06.14 10:10

@Silver Shuffle wrote:
@Tangled Web wrote:

That remains to be seen but the point is that the Portuguese police believe MM is (sadly) dead and so do the British police. I don't see how the 'digging saga' was to say MBM may still be alive. In fact, it's the opposite. They are looking for a body and must have evidence to support this.

Tangled Web

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.06.14 10:44

We'll see IF they turn up in Lisbon next Monday. This quote in the Daily Mail, made me doubt it:

Their lawyer Isabel Duarte said: “I’m hopeful both of them will be able to make it.”

Back to top Go down

Post by fossey on 13.06.14 10:45

Châtelaine wrote:We'll see IF they turn up in Lisbon next Monday. This quote in the Daily Mail, made me doubt it:

Their lawyer Isabel Duarte said: “I’m hopeful both of them will be able to make it.”
If their lawyer is only HOPEFUL then i'm pretty sure that they WON'T be turning up..

fossey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 13.06.14 10:47

I think whether or not the McCanns show up in Portugal on Monday will depend very heavily upon whether the results of the forensics tests on the objects dug up around PDL are released by then.

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.06.14 10:48

And if as SY say they are working on other theories(that may include a live child-we don't know), then why did they say this is the first phase with the remainder taking many months.

SY know. They are building a case. They most certainly are not looking for a live Madeleine :-(

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web on 13.06.14 11:05

Châtelaine wrote:We'll see IF they turn up in Lisbon next Monday. This quote in the Daily Mail, made me doubt it:

I saw this too and thought the same. The Daily Star says they are 'moving mountains' to attend, but in McSpeak this will probably mean the opposite. They're probably doing all they can to get out of going! However, the media are very cleverly forcing them into it  titter and how refreshing to actual see details of the libel trial in our news. The Times They Are a-changin'. IMO.

Tangled Web

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum