The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: McCanns to appear in libel trial on Monday 16 June

Post by petunia on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 pm

didn't Dr Goncalo amaral also ask to speak? surly if the mac's have been given permission then so has he.

petunia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:40 pm

@petunia wrote:didn't Dr Goncalo amaral also ask to speak? surly if the mac's have been given permission then so has he.

I think he has petunia.  yes 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:41 pm

They've been painted into a corner.

What excuse could they use for not going to Lisbon? They can't blame avoiding the searches - they've finished, or worries about the direction the investigation is taking - they're "pleased"

According to the article, they won the latest round of the trial and "A source close to the McCanns said: 'Finally it looks like drawing to a close and they are hopeful they can win the case.'"

If both McCanns take to the stand, they can blame the Portuguese justice system if they lose. If only one, or neither of them, appears then the blame for losing the case lands squarely on McCann shoulders.

I can't see either Kate or Gerry being willing to take the blame for losing the libel case but is their pride greater than their fear of arrest?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutchgirl on Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:56 pm

Just on facebook - with thanks to Siobahn

Siobhan Feely so asked question on #mccann twitter.. they are not allowed give prepared written statements...mmmm #popcorn

Dutchgirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:09 pm

As we know from transcripts of the testimony given by the McCanns' star witnesses, no notes written in green ink on 5* hotel stationery or ipads containing chapters of Exhibit KH1 are allowed in the courtroom and the judge expects those who take the stand to speak ex tempore, which shouldn't prove any problem for those who have big gobs are accustomed to public speaking  big grin

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:13 pm

I don't expect to see hardly anything in the press if they lose.
Saying that are the gloves off once a verdict is made?

notlongnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by petunia on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:24 pm

I wonder if the gloves will be off among the British publishers to publish an unbanned book if the mccann's lose this trial.I hope so but fear not we shall see.

petunia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by juliet on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 pm

So they couldn't be bothered to go to Portugal when police were digging for clues to their daughter's death - but they are rushing there to try to win millions from the Portuguese courts. They really are beyond parody: cold shameful immoral money grubbers.

juliet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phil_burton on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:44 pm

@petunia wrote:I wonder if the gloves will be off among the British publishers to publish an unbanned book if the mccann's lose this trial.I hope so but fear not we shall see.

That's an interesting question.

I'm not totally au fait with the libel trial. Are the mccanns suing GA fir defamation, or are they attempting to prevent the book from being published in the UK (again)?

I am of the opinion that there is an injunction hanging over the media in this country preventing them from implying the mccanns might have been involved in MM's disappearance - nothing else could explain the almost 100% support they receive from all uk outlets.

If my suspicions are correct, AND GA's book is unbanned, surely this would make any such injunction void? And we might see some of the UK media open up a bit

phil_burton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:57 pm

@phil_burton wrote:
I am of the opinion that there is an injunction hanging over the media in this country preventing them from implying the mccanns might have been involved in MM's disappearance - nothing else could explain the almost 100% support they receive from all uk outlets.
If so
The Mail have broken it already, by revealing the full text of the graffiti.   The allegation is more than "involved" or 'responsible"
It also goes beyond what Dr Amaral, Tavares de Almeida, or even TB have ever suggested.
But the Telegraph, the Mail, and others, have published it.
And C-R have been silent.  
Licking their wounds and nursing their bank balance.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:02 pm

The media stranglehold that the McCanns retain is as strong as ever.  The article says that they "won the latest round". What round was that?  They actually lost the ward of court round and consequently a good chunk (40%) of their libel claim.  How can that be represented as a win?   

So in the space of two weeks, they lost a crucial battle in the libel case, and SY dug up PDL looking for a dead body. And yet, the press today reads like a triumph for team McCann. The investigation is going well, they are really happy, Maddie is alive, we are winning the libel case, we are making a triumphant return to tell the judge how awful Amaral is, and to collect our well deserved cash reward.  

As others have said, the press will play their statements in full, with zero criticism or analysis.  There will be a delay before verdict. Could be days or weeks.  If they lose it won't even get a mention. If they win, it will be as though they had been saints and knighted in a combined award. 

Brace yourselves folks. The next few days could be very rough indeed.  And Gerry can't wait.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Is there a link to the graffiti article PeterMac? I missed that.

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seek truth on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Is Kate going to laugh again, like she did the last time she went to the court there? Where's that video ?

It's all so funny isn't it? Waiting to get £1 million.

Seek truth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutchgirl on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 pm

Dutchgirl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:17 pm

@Bishop Brennan wrote:The media stranglehold that the McCanns retain is as strong as ever.  The article says that they "won the latest round". What round was that?  They actually lost the ward of court round and consequently a good chunk (40%) of their libel claim.  How can that be represented as a win?   

So in the space of two weeks, they lost a crucial battle in the libel case, and SY dug up PDL looking for a dead body. And yet, the press today reads like a triumph for team McCann. The investigation is going well, they are really happy, Maddie is alive, we are winning the libel case, we are making a triumphant return to tell the judge how awful Amaral is, and to collect our well deserved cash reward.  

As others have said, the press will play their statements in full, with zero criticism or analysis.  There will be a delay before verdict. Could be days or weeks.  If they lose it won't even get a mention. If they win, it will be as though they had been saints and knighted in a combined award. 

Brace yourselves folks. The next few days could be very rough indeed.  And Gerry can't wait.

Gezza can't wait, Bishop?   I bet he can't - and if I knew what brand of loo rolls grace the bogs facilities of Rothley Towers, I'd have bought shares long ago  big grin :

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 pm

@ultimaThule wrote:
Gezza can't wait, Bishop?   I bet he can't - and if I knew what brand of loo rolls grace the bogs facilities of Rothley Towers, I'd have bought shares long ago  big grin :

I agree. He couldn't wait to spin the useless SY search into the media, and is even now working non stop on his and Kate's impassioned, emotional speech for the trial on Monday. There won't be a dry eye in the house once they've finished and they will probably be offering tissues to all in the courtroom and media before commencing their speech.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty Heck on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 pm

@Bishop Brennan wrote:The media stranglehold that the McCanns retain is as strong as ever.  The article says that they "won the latest round". What round was that?  They actually lost the ward of court round and consequently a good chunk (40%) of their libel claim.  How can that be represented as a win?   

In the event of a win or a loss there will be plenty of PR capital to be made.  If they win "we risked everything for Maddie to safeguard the search.  Ok, so Amaral is stripped of all his wordly but he refused to keep quiet so how would that be our fault?"  If they lose it could be "tragic couple's bid to silence disgraced foreign cop for sake of Maddie search ends in fresh agony as bankruptcy looms".  Amaral will be the villain whatever the outcome and the McCs will either be conquering heros or objects of pity that only a good old whip round (or a lot of fat media cheques) can assuage.  For the media also this will be win win - eye grabbing headline potential whichever way it goes.  IMO only.

Monty Heck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:31 pm

@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:

I agree. He couldn't wait to spin the useless SY search into the media, and is even now working non stop on his and Kate's impassioned, emotional speech for the trial on Monday.  There won't be a dry eye in the house once they've finished and they will probably be offering tissues to all in the courtroom and media before commencing their speech.  
Don't you mean 'selling'.  spin 

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33 pm

@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:

I agree. He couldn't wait to spin the useless SY search into the media, and is even now working non stop on his and Kate's impassioned, emotional speech for the trial on Monday.  There won't be a dry eye in the house once they've finished and they will probably be offering tissues to all in the courtroom and media before commencing their speech.  
A couple of weeks ago Clarence was busy fighting UKIP 'on the beaches'. After that there was the 'coffee and cakes' spectacular which hasn't seen the light of day since and not a lot going on with his tweets other than a pic of his local pub's gastronomic offerings (not a human in sight on the photo).

I'd love to see Clarrie's invoices to the McCanns for stepping out of his coffin to give a soundbite.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:33 pm

Thanks Dutchgirl. That locals think they killed her is strong stuff. That the Mail say it was misspelled is weird though.

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 pm

I've got news for Gezza, Bishop.,  All eyes in the house will remain dry because his Portuguese audience won't have a clue what he's banging on about until his words are translated, and any English speakers won't have a clue what he's on about because of his ability to mangle syntax and render words unintelligble.

All things considered, it seems to me he's best advised to mime his speech  yes

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bishop Brennan on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 pm

@ultimaThule wrote:I've got news for Gezza, Bishop.,  All eyes in the house will remain dry because his Portuguese audience won't have a clue what he's banging on about until his words are translated, and any English speakers won't have a clue what he's on about because of his ability to mangle syntax and render words unintelligble.

All things considered, it seems to me he's best advised to mime his speech  yes

To be fair the audience for the speech is not the court but rather the Great British Public and red top readers who will be able to read the entire speech (copies helpfully supplied to all editors) the next day with their morning cuppa. So in fact the big money is for Gerry to offer (sell) a free tissue with every paper, so that our tears don't spoil the tea.

Bishop Brennan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 pm

@bobbin wrote:
@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:

Don't you mean 'selling'.  spin 

It's to be hoped that,  while her spouse is performing centre stage, Kate will be parading the aisles flogging selling only good quality loo rolls and none of that rough stuff, bobbin  laughat

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:46 pm

The Mirror plumbs new depths in Meek Media reporting on the McCanns.

No wonder their circulation is in free fall!

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty Heck on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:47 pm

@Bishop Brennan wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:

Just after M dissappeared, GMcC stood up in PDL church and gave the congregation the benefit of his personal charisma.  Some were impressed at the ability of a father in such circucmstances to demonstrate such self possession, others considerably less admiring to put it diplomatically, astonished more by the unexpected display of chutzpah.   It was, apparently, quite a memorable performance and given without the 7+ years experience now under his belt, so the signs are it will be quite something.

Monty Heck

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum