The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Operation Overlord. D-Day

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Operation Overlord. D-Day

Post by PeWiNL on 24.10.14 21:02

@PeterMac wrote:Beginning to wish I had not started this thread.
Hello Peter,
At the very beginning of this thread you mentioned Lt. Brian Hatherley Pear in a quoted text.
As I am from Baarlo myself and because I am very interested in the story of Lt. Pear,
(who he really was, what he looked like, etc.) could you please let me know where you've found this particular story. 
Or do you by accident know who the person is (that called Brian his uncle) and
maybe even know how or where I might get in touch.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Peter.

PeWiNL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.10.14 9:56

@PeWiNL wrote:
Hello Peter,
At the very beginning of this thread you mentioned Lt. Brian Hatherley Pear in a quoted text.
As I am from Baarlo myself and because I am very interested in the story of Lt. Pear,
(who he really was, what he looked like, etc.) could you please let me know where you've found this particular story. 
Thank you.
Kind regards.
Peter.
I'll reply here and then PM you.
Brian was my uncle.  Stella his little sister was my mother.

Brian is buried in Tegelen with his crew, and our contact for all those years was
Liesje Janssen who had the big house in the middle of Baarlo. Baron von Erplaan, 4
She died last year, aged 97.
For a lot of the war they had a German Officer billeted on them.   They said he behaved like a Gentleman, and was always correct.  Probably just a school teacher who had been called up, rather than a rabid Nazi. They had a pig in the cellar called Herman, and they were SURE he know, but never said anything.

Her fiancé had been in the resistance and one day they all just 'disappeared'.
Last year I turned up that photo on the internet of what MUST be him standing on his flail tank - Minenschäger - immediately after the landings on 6/6
as they made their way past the Lav-Pan villa. It is on page 1 on the thread.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeWiNL on 25.10.14 19:38

@PeterMac wrote:
@PeWiNL wrote:
Hello Peter,
Thank you.
Kind regards.
Peter.
I'll reply here and then PM you.
Brian was my uncle.  Stella his little sister was my mother.

Brian is buried in Tegelen with his crew, and our contact for all those years was
Liesje Janssen who had the big house in the middle of Baarlo. Baron von Erplaan, 4
She died last year, aged 97.
For a lot of the war they had a German Officer billeted on them.   They said he behaved like a Gentleman, and was always correct.  Probably just a school teacher who had been called up, rather than a rabid Nazi. They had a pig in the cellar called Herman, and they were SURE he know, but never said anything.

Her fiancé had been in the resistance and one day they all just 'disappeared'.
Last year I turned up that photo on the internet of what MUST be him standing on his flail tank - Minenschäger - immediately after the landings on 6/6
as they made their way past the Lav-Pan villa.  It is on page 1 on the thread.

It's a very interesting story. 
I think though that you may have been misinformed because Brian is not buried in Tegelen, 
his grave is situated at the graveyard of Maasbree. And as far as I know since 1944.
On April 14th, 1951 his grave was moved to form one single row with 5 other common wealth graves.

PeWiNL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.10.14 20:01

@PeWiNL wrote:
It's a very interesting story. 
I think though that you may have been misinformed because Brian is not buried in Tegelen, 
his grave is situated at the graveyard of Maasbree. And as far as I know since 1944.
On April 14th, 1951 his grave was moved to form one single row with 5 other common wealth graves.
I last visited the grave when I was 17, with a group of friends who cycled from Bradford to Hull, the Rotterdam, then South, down the Moselle, then north through Holland, across the Ijselmeer, Amsterdam and back. That was in 1968.
Liesje told us where to go to find the grave, and it was only a short cycle ride from Baarlo

The War Graves commission wanted to move the graves to one of the huge cemeteries, but the families of all the crew agreed to let them lie together, rather than to be separated by rank.  

I am deeply touched that you know his story.

This is from the regimental history

" />

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeWiNL on 25.10.14 20:42

I came across a similar story in the booklet "The Westminster Dragoons in North-West Europe, June 1944 - May 1945", 53 p.

Lt. Pear then announced his intention of coming up to use his tank as a shield in front of Sjt. Birch's tank, enabling the crew to bale out.
The smoke made it very difficult to see exactly what was happening. Through gaps in the smoke both tanks were suddenly seen to be on fire. 
In the meantime Cpl. Shaw's tank hit a mine and was unable to move. He ordered his crew to bale out,
and a few minutes later their tank, too, was set on fire by the Anti-tank gun.
The Grenadier Guards gave fire support and put down smoke for another hour in spite of the fact that they themselves were having casualties. 
It enabled Cpl. Shaw and his crew to crawl back to safety. Of Lt. Pear's and Sjt. Birch's crews there
was only one survivor, Tpr. Whitford. He was wounded and taken prisoner. 

The loss of this excellent officer, his Sjt. and their very gallant men was a sad blow.
The volume of fire produced by the Germans on this morning was so great that all operations by 15th Scottish Division were postponed for 48hours. 
It was decided to launch a full scale attack on the 5th November, and for this No. 1. Troop,
commanded by Lt. Hoban, took the place of No. 3. Troop in support of the Grenadiers.

Your uncle is mentioned several times more.

PeWiNL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.10.14 21:19

duplicated - sorry

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.10.14 21:29

The family had no idea of the existence of this booklet.
Any ideas how we might find a copy ?
Do you have one you could photocopy the pages relating to him, perhaps and save as pdf for example.
If this were done professionally and / or a hard copy could be made . . .
Amason and ebay - NIL
Imp War Museum ? Very vague, they have some "laminated pages" but I can't get closer than that.

My mother, the last of the four siblings, died last month and all the Brian box of stuff, including his Mentions in dispatches is being collated by my brother for the great-nephews, if they are interested,
otherwise perhaps for Manchester Grammar School archive.

The problem is knowing where to put it. So many lost their lives in that campaign, and every one should have his or her memorial
But it is not possible. A generation disappeared, just as a generation had done only 25 years before.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeWiNL on 25.10.14 21:32

@PeterMac wrote:The family had no idea of the existence of this booklet.
Any ideas how we might find a copy ?
Do you have one you could photocopy the pages relating to him, perhaps and save as pdf for example.

Amason and ebay - NIL
Imp War Museum ?

My mother died last month and all the Brian box of stuff, including his Mentions in dispatches is being collated by my brother for the great-nephews, if they are interested,
otherwise perhaps for Manchester Grammar School archive.

I'd be happy to send you my copy by mail. Any Idea how?

PeWiNL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 25.10.14 21:58

Can you send me a PM and we can exchange details there.
Peter

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeWiNL on 25.10.14 22:00

@PeterMac wrote:Can you send me a PM and we can exchange details there.
Peter
Well I tried, but it seems that a certain post-level has'nt been reached yet to allow me sending a PM...

PeWiNL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 26.10.14 9:17

Liesje left the house on Baron v E,  to the couple who had cared for her for a long time,
Anneque and Han Lijnkamp.
I do not know whether they live there, or if they sold it, or rent it.
I emailed them half an hour ago to tell them of my mother's death, since they had been in constant contact with her during Liejse's last years.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 07.01.15 0:49

It's such a great shame that this modest and self-effacing gentleman won't be walking Brittany Ferries' red carpet in June of this year, but his exploits last summer showed the world what heroes are made of.    RIP Bernard Jordan - you did your nation proud and it is immensely proud of you.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2898879/Farewell-Great-Escaper-Bernard-Jordan-dies-aged-90.html

After returning from his cross-channel adventure, Mr Jordan said: 'I expect I will be in some trouble with the care home, but it was worth it.

'When I set my mind to do something, I do it. This is what Normandy veterans are like.'

Just weeks later, when he celebrated his 90th birthday, Mr Jordan was inundated with well-wishes and gifts, including more than 2,500 birthday cards from around the world.

At the time, he said: 'I just can't believe it. It's quite overwhelming to be honest.

'I want to thank everyone who sent me a card or a gift. Sadly I can't thank everyone in person so I hope they get this message.

'I'm just one man and I'm nothing special. Anyone would think I'd defeated Hitler on my own.

'There were a lot of other people on the beaches of Normandy that day, this lovely attention is for them really, not me.'

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Honour and dignity

Post by Grim on 07.01.15 8:59

Thank you for posting that link UltimaThule , some very moving comments on that page  .  Rest in Peace Bernard .. And thank you Sir.

Grim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Reunited

Post by Grim on 08.01.15 16:19

Bernard Jordan's wife has passed away. R.I.P

Grim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 08.01.15 16:27

How sad. But it is not uncommon for a old person to die within a short time of the spouse. Somehow they keep each other going,
but suddenly there is no will to go on.
What a wonderful story it was, though.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 08.01.15 17:02

A lovely photo of Irene Jordan in her later years and also with Bernie on their wedding day here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2901672/Wife-Great-Escaper-Bernard-Jordan-broke-care-home-D-Day-dies-just-days-beloved-husband.html  What a stunning couple they were and what a glorious head of hair he had - and retained to the end.

IMO Bernie was far more worthy and deserving of a baronetcy than most and I'll add my appreciation of this marvellous man to Grim's by raising a glass in thanks to Sir drinks Bernie and his beautiful Lady ... 'Together forever'.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum