The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 22:36

Ok, Halligan was a rogue but the main messages I got from the programme were:

- Despite the despicable Halligan, his team were genuine and were working to find real leads.

- Jane Tanner was secretly recorded, and only a tiny snippet of that recording was revealed.

- Jane Tanner is at best an unreliable witness and at worst, a manipulative liar.

- 'George' (who appeared also to be Tannerman) was a significant part of the investigation but ulimately remained unfound.

- Gary Williams(? !) provided the George efit.

- Halligan's conning of the money scuppered the operation.

- The programme focussed at least 3 times, but didn't really comment on, the black-clad priest. They filmed this character at length, seemingly portraying him as a central and significant figure, but didn't elaborate in the script. Similarly, the church featured often in the shots.

- Smithman efits were released by SY after 5 years. Exton remains legally gagged and the documents the operation produced, although now held in their entirety by SY, remain legally secret. (By instruction of the owners of the fund, one was left to assume.)

- On at least 3 occasions the programme stressed that Halligan's operation was PUBLICLY FUNDED, by donations from the public to the fund. NOT paid for by the McCanns.

In conclusion,  I feel Exton has a lot to offer, and is probably genuine. I also feel the subliminal priest and church messages, and the fact that they were hoping the priest could extract a confession from 'someone', very very interesting indeed.

Was it filmed a while back? OG's tally was only standing at £5M!! And what a joke character Halligan is. And how incredible and foolish anyone looks who could trust an obvious scammer like that. Military standard observion and surveillance evidence indeed. Gerry being a alpha male again so tempted by such toys, anyone? It's all so, pathetically transparent, but what a good show GM must've been hoping for!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by paradigm67 on 04.06.14 22:40

@ShuBob wrote:
@Watching The Detectives wrote:What impression did you think the program gave of Praia da Luz?

IMO PdL was a side issue almost as if the crime could have happened anywhere.

I dont think PDL came across very well at all. Idiot drunk english bloke who was well aware of the seedier side, wandering psychotic with a pole, panning shots of building with render half gone or a night shot of what looks like a bar/cafe with (in context with the voiceover) a load of 'tramps' inside. Thought it played out quite damning.

Still better than a lot of the UK though.

paradigm67

Posts : 64
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by CynicAl on 04.06.14 22:41

Not seen it, just going on your reports... 

If I get this correctly this program, seemingly pointless, not only raised the suppressed efits, and put AR's Smithman emphasis on steroids, but it went further than AR's CW report by outing JT as a flake who invented a suspect for no discernible reason.... 

You really think this is the Mc's offloading JT when they spent the past months fighting tooth and nail to keep Tannerman at the fore? Hmmm. Do you think it could be SY or a SY supporter pulling the last of the rug out from under JT's very determined feet? If I got publicly trashed like that for my efforts in keeping someone else out of the frame I'd be looking to stage an exoneration by singing canary-like. Sounds like a distinct message was being sent to one person specifically. JT - you are the Weakest Link.

CynicAl

Posts : 181
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by MRNOODLES on 04.06.14 22:41

@Mirage wrote:I got the impression the detail was too complex and off-putting for the average viewer with no real knowledge of the case. It left me wondering who the target audience really was. The priest made numerous appearances towards the end, almost to the point of comedy, I thought.

Sitting on the steps having a fag.

MRNOODLES

Posts : 637
Reputation : 200
Join date : 2013-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 22:42

@Cristobell wrote:Hugely damaging from the McCann perspective!  A distinct lack of sympathy for the parents and finishing with the gagged Omega Report and the efits produced by Exxton.  The final balloon released by the little girl said it all 'God Help Madeleine'!  Amen to that.

Pretty much what I rambled on trying to say! thumbsup 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 22:43

@sofieellis wrote:I wonder how much other secret filming was done, and who of?

Me too.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Woofer on 04.06.14 22:50

@Watching The Detectives wrote:What impression did you think the program gave of Praia da Luz?

Sinister.

Woofer

Posts : 3390
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2012-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Halfwit on 04.06.14 22:51

I don't think I learned anything new from that doc although I was surprised by the amount of secret filming.

That JT is a liar comes as no surprise. We all saw her on that Panorama doc negatively shaking her head whilst making an affirmative statement. You didn't need to know about body language to notice that.  It's why I made my only new topic post about her genuine crying. She somehow became involved in something way, way over her head.

I make no excuses for her. I think she's weak. stupid and immoral for not telling the truth of what she knows or witnessed.

I was expecting a second rate doc from C5 but I was quite impressed by the quality of the production.

That's down to the independant company but in the end it was pointless. Good on their showreel though.

Halfwit

Posts : 87
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Mirage on 04.06.14 22:53

@MRNOODLES wrote:
@Mirage wrote:I got the impression the detail was too complex and off-putting for the average viewer with no real knowledge of the case. It left me wondering who the target audience really was. The priest made numerous appearances towards the end, almost to the point of comedy, I thought.

Sitting on the steps having a fag.
  Lol. And I'm guessing you don't normally smoke.

____________________
Kate McCann: "It's too 'ot. Give 'im a minute."

Mirage

Posts : 1665
Reputation : 382
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 22:54

I think he meant the phony priest who was filmed doing that.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Newintown on 04.06.14 23:03

Dee Coy wrote:Ok, Halligan was a rogue but the main messages I got from the programme were:

- Despite the despicable Halligan, his team were genuine and were working to find real leads.

- Jane Tanner was secretly recorded, and only a tiny snippet of that recording was revealed.

- Jane Tanner is at best an unreliable witness and at worst, a manipulative liar.

- 'George' (who appeared also to be Tannerman) was a significant part of the investigation but ulimately remained unfound.

- Gary Williams(? !) provided the George efit.

- Halligan's conning of the money scuppered the operation.

- The programme focussed at least 3 times, but didn't really comment on, the black-clad priest. They filmed this character at length, seemingly portraying him as a central and significant figure, but didn't elaborate in the script. Similarly, the church featured often in the shots.

- Smithman efits were released by SY after 5 years. Exton remains legally gagged and the documents the operation produced, although now held in their entirety by SY, remain legally secret. (By instruction of the owners of the fund, one was left to assume.)

- On at least 3 occasions the programme stressed that Halligan's operation was PUBLICLY FUNDED, by donations from the public to the fund. NOT paid for by the McCanns.

In conclusion,  I feel Exton has a lot to offer, and is probably genuine. I also feel the subliminal priest and church messages, and the fact that they were hoping the priest could extract a confession from 'someone', very very interesting indeed.

Was it filmed a while back? OG's tally was only standing at £5M!! And what a joke character Halligan is. And how incredible and foolish anyone looks who could trust an obvious scammer like that. Military standard observion and surveillance evidence indeed.  Gerry being a alpha male again so tempted by such toys, anyone? It's all so, pathetically transparent, but what a good show GM must've been hoping for!

Thank you for making the effort to print those details regarding the programme. I tried to watch it but I couldn't get past Amanda Burton's sycophantic sounding voice and had to switch it off after 15 minutes or so. If it's repeated in the future I may try to watch it again now I know the gist of it.

____________________
Laurie Levenson, Quoted in the Guardian ........

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"


Newintown

Posts : 1597
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 23:03

@Halfwit wrote:
I was expecting a second rate doc from C5 but I was quite impressed by the quality of the production.

That's down to the independant company but in the end it was pointless. Good on their showreel though.

Just finished watching it on C5+1. Off to bed now but will say quickly that I was impressed by the sheer denseness of information therein - no endless recaps and "coming ups" like you get in a lot of 1hr documentaries. Halligan himself a comedy legend.

Not good for the McCann camp at all, apart from a few sympathetic words at the beginning. And a lot of my suspicions about PdL confirmed - sorry Praia.


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 23:04

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-man-who-conned-the-mccanns

It's supposedly available on demand until 2024!

Let's hope that the case has been solved before then.

For when you're feeling brave enough to watch it again, newintown!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Halfwit on 04.06.14 23:06

Dee Coy wrote:Ok, Halligan was a rogue but the main messages I got from the programme were:

- Despite the despicable Halligan, his team were genuine and were working to find real leads.

- Jane Tanner was secretly recorded, and only a tiny snippet of that recording was revealed.

-

I fully agree with you.

Except I found myself rather liking Halligan on camera. A Master Conman at work (Capitals intentional).

Halfwit

Posts : 87
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-01-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by ShuBob on 04.06.14 23:06

It was also interesting hearing Halligen say it was a few well-placed sources trying to discredit him for their own ends. IIRC, it was claimed he thought Clarence Mitchell worked for the secret service. An even more interesting point was Exton saying the negative publicity around Halligen somewhat undermined the the good work Op Omega did. Thinking about it, how did Halligen's actions detract from the work Op Omega did considering a final report was produced with recommendations?

ShuBob

Posts : 1893
Reputation : 57
Join date : 2012-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Mirage on 04.06.14 23:07

I reckon Joe public would take old Tim on face value and think Jane just tried too hard to help. It's only those immersed in the detail, like us, who know the whole sequence of her fabrications. If her identification of RM had been mentioned it would have been clear.

I think the priest was significant. Also the secret filming, and Exton handing in the file to OG and the e-fits at the end seemed pointed.

____________________
Kate McCann: "It's too 'ot. Give 'im a minute."

Mirage

Posts : 1665
Reputation : 382
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Newintown on 04.06.14 23:10

No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:
No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:http://www.channel5.com/shows/the-man-who-conned-the-mccanns

It's supposedly available on demand until 2024!

Let's hope that the case has been solved before then.

For when you're feeling brave enough to watch it again, newintown!

Thanks for that. May watch it in small doses, once a day, as you say when I'm feeling brave. smilie 

____________________
Laurie Levenson, Quoted in the Guardian ........

"Never trust an eyewitness whose memory gets better over time"


Newintown

Posts : 1597
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Mirage on 04.06.14 23:13

E
No Fate Worse Than De'Ath wrote:I think he meant the phony priest who was filmed doing that.
Oh yes of course! LOL. Time to sign off and let the night shift of 1,251 or thereabouts take over!

____________________
Kate McCann: "It's too 'ot. Give 'im a minute."

Mirage

Posts : 1665
Reputation : 382
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by russiandoll on 04.06.14 23:18

What suspicions re PdL, Clay?

____________________



             The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy


russiandoll

Posts : 3942
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by MRNOODLES on 04.06.14 23:25

After taking the dog for a quick walk and having a think.

I'm more convinced JT has cracked and offered up what she knows. How much she does know I've no idea. But if the police has put her under pressure reminding her she'd fingered RM and played her a recording of herself with an expert calling her a liar. It's not that much of a stretch for the old bill to suggest a perverting the course of justice charge if she doesn't talk.

IMO of course.

MRNOODLES

Posts : 637
Reputation : 200
Join date : 2013-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by End on 04.06.14 23:29

Was this documentary aired to make JT squeal?

End

Posts : 77
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by jellycat on 04.06.14 23:33

Stated as fact NOT fact so deleted
How on earth can this prog be real ---its a stoog - pre recorded and edited

jellycat

Posts : 27
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by jellycat on 04.06.14 23:39

Deleted

jellycat

Posts : 27
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2014-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Woofer on 04.06.14 23:43

The programme highlighted for me the fact that a lot of work was carried out by Oakley - before now all I was aware of was that Halligen had set up a telephone line for people to call in with info and that none of it was checked by him.  

But the programme showed the masses of work done by Exton and his team - which Exton paid for and never got reimbursed by Halligen.  For their money, the McCanns did get a report on all of Exton`s work and findings which they decided they did not like and threatened him with a Carter Ruck letter never to divulge it   "because the report was hypercritical of the people involved ...... and it just wouldn`t be conducive to the investigation to have that report publicly declared because ...... the newspapers would have been all over it. And it would have been completely distracting" said a source.  "As well as questioning parts of the McCanns` evidence, it contained sensitive information about Madeleine`s sleeping patterns and raised the highly sensitve possibility that she could have died in an accident after leaving the apartment herself from one of two unsecured doors". **

Exton`s report also cast doubt on Tannerman and placed more importance on Smithman and had two e-fits drawn up which the McCanns subsequently filed away.

The programme said the McCann Fund paid out £200,000 up front to Halligen - apparently he asked for another £250,000, but not sure if they paid it.

** words in italics sourced from Sunday Times 27.10.2013.

____________________
The constant assertion of belief is an indication of fear - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Woofer

Posts : 3390
Reputation : 12
Join date : 2012-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by Guest on 04.06.14 23:44

jellycat welcome to the forum.  Please when you post do not state things as fact when you do not know this.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 18 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum