The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Now shown on Channel 5: 'THE McCANNS AND THE CONMAN'

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 24.05.14 15:51

Just to add another piece to Woofers post, an article Adrian Gatton did for the Guardian on Met corruption 11 year ago. 

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/may/30/ukcrime1

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by margaret on 24.05.14 16:51

@Woofer wrote:
@margaret wrote:
@canada12 wrote:Exactly my line of thinking all along - a big list of small, obscure companies that were hired with great fanfare, only to come up with... nothing substantial. The big question is, why did the McCanns not hire reputable detectives with a solid reputation to look for Madeleine. The answer has to be:

a. The reputable detectives wanted nothing to do with the case
and / or
b. The McCanns wanted nothing to do with the reputable detectives.

IMO.

I've told this before to Tony and on this forum but I'll say it again....

I know a woman who's son is a retired police officer, now either he or his friend runs their own private investigation firm. (I can't remember which) and one of them was approached by Brian Kennedy to investigate this case and brought the other one in to assist. (Both retired police officers/detectives l don't know what ranks).

They went out to PDL and went through the PJ files and they went back to Kennedy and told him they suspected the Mccanns.

Kennedy wouldn't hear of it.

And yes l have spoken to her since then and asked her to get her son to talk to SY, l don't know if he has but l really hope so.

So what's in it for Kennedy to assist the mccanns?
and why still support them when you're being told otherwise?
Interesting.  thinking 

So that two lots of detectives, who on the face of it seem more legit than the other seedy PIs, that have reported that the Mcs are the most likely suspects.

It's probably the circles people move in, Kennedy is the one having to help the Mccanns in case they bring him down?

Remember the 10th tapas talk? Kennedy would have the money to get a helicopter/plane out ASAP?

margaret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 24.05.14 17:58

@canada12 wrote:Exactly my line of thinking all along - a big list of small, obscure companies that were hired with great fanfare, only to come up with... nothing substantial. The big question is, why did the McCanns not hire reputable detectives with a solid reputation to look for Madeleine. The answer has to be:

a. The reputable detectives wanted nothing to do with the case
and / or
b. The McCanns wanted nothing to do with the reputable detectives.

IMO.

The correct answer is (b).

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 24.05.14 18:02

@canada12 wrote:
@Gillyspot wrote:
One thing we can be sure of is - if the program goes ahead it does so with the full approval of the McCanns & their EXPENSIVE libel lawyers.

I'm not so sure about that. If TB was sworn to secrecy about this program then perhaps its production has been kept a very closely guarded secret. The obvious reason for this would be so that no advance knowledge would leak out to  anyone who might be seen in an unfavourable light in the program. Are we sure the McCanns are still repped by the expensive libel lawyers? The key word here is "expensive". Have we seen any evidence of the libel lawyers at work recently?

Nope, because they are low on Fund, and still have a libel trial to get through.

Also, maybe they dare not bring too much attention on themselves in case the MET was leading them up the garden path all along about them not being Persons of Interest, which incidentally in Gerry's twisted term means "suspects" when referring to Murat.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasputin on 24.05.14 18:33

@Woofer wrote:Clarence Mitchell thought they were `the big boys of international detection`:-

"He has made exaggerated claims about the private detectives hired by the McCanns. On one occasion he referred to ‘a crack team of top detectives’ - yet there was never any sign of them. His most outrageous lie came in August 2008 when he told the media that the McCanns had appointed ‘Oakley International’ to look for Madeleine, adding that ‘they were the big boys of international private detection’. This false claim was exposed 14 months later, when the Evening Standard revealed that it was a one-man band run by serial fraudster Kevin Halligen. After working for the McCanns, Halligen went on the run from police. He was arrested in October 2009 and spent four years in prison, first in Belmarsh, and then in a U.S. jail. He had committed a £1.5 million fraud in the U.S. The McCanns admitted to paying Halligen £500,000 plus expenses, yet he found nothing. Mitchell had misled the media and the general public."

http://whathappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/brighton-pavilion-constituency-things.html

A member of this forum mentioned a character played by Dick Emery whose saying was " You are awful but I like you" well this passage above reminded me of the skinhead Dick Emery used to portray " I fink I got it wrong again Daad " ...Mitchell just cant stop pi#*ing on his own fire !

Rasputin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 24.05.14 18:43

However this case is concluded, it'll be a travesty if Clarence Mitchell is not arrested and charged.

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by margaret on 24.05.14 19:05

@ShuBob wrote:However this case is concluded, it'll be a travesty if Clarence Mitchell is not arrested and charged.

I can't celebrate if the Mccanns are ever charged because it will truly mean Maddie is never going home.

But I'm going to make an exception for that pompous twat.  fingers crossed 

margaret

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 25.05.14 1:45

This documentary is probably the best we can hope for in the short term.

As many people have pointed out here, the Fund is a wedge that can be used to break the case open.

In any other area the way the funds have been used would provoke a complete scandal.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 25.05.14 2:26

I can't see a way in which the 'fund' per se can be used to 'break the case open, Okeydokey, but if the forthcoming programme is not slanted in such a way as to depict the McCanns as helpless victims of unscrupulous conmen, it should prove to be something of an eye-opener for those who so generously contributed to their limited company in the belief that all of the monies raised would be put to good use.

As I could never find it in myself to celebrate this child's return to a family who so obviously have no care for her welfare and wellbeing, I take comfort from knowing that if there is an afterlife Madeleine is 'home' and that her suffering is over, margaret

Imo Mitchell should be held to account in law for his distortions of the truth alongside his employers, together with assorted of their friends and relatives who also have much to answer for, and it occurs to me that a venue which can accommodate all of them will shortly become available.   winkwink

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25.05.14 21:01

Lazzeri's Who are the Conmen..

Who are the Conmen?

Might have been easier in this case to list the goodies as a whole load of baddies to get through.

Let's see who we have - Halligen - Definitely a baddie, but how much of a baddie was he in the McCann case, what part did he really play in the missing £300,000/£500,000 from Madeleine's Fund, and how is it, that such a formidable team that is Team McCann did not know the guy was a 'wanted man' and how did he Halligen, probably the only private detective in the world wanted by the FBI for fraud, just happen to walk into the lives of Kate and Gerry McCann? Now what are the chances of that?

Of all the gin joints..!

• Why is it that Clarence Mitchell told the world that Halligen had done a great job for the McCanns?

• Who within Team McCann was responsible for hiring Halligen?

For sure as hell, someone was, the guy didn't just show up unannounced!

And why did Halligen claim he did not receive the sum of money the McCanns claim to have paid him?   He didn't say that he hadn't received money, just not the sum claimed by the Madeleine Fund!

The McCanns made an appeal for more cash, back in November 2010, as the Fund was in trouble in danger of running dry by the following spring, spring of 2011.  If the public could dig a bit deeper, oh, and ignore the fact that the 'Fund' had mismanaged the monies already donated by them and that Fund had inadvertently given it to a fraudster, Halligen, but it would be great all the same, if the public would just be daft enough to again donate, to replenish the McCann coffers.  McCann re-assured the public that they were not to be concerned that the Fund might fuck-up, muck up again, as guess what - Enter Edgar - he, dear old dodgy Dave (of Madeleine is in a lair and he thinks it will take ten years to find her fame) feels he can be accountable for every penny of any 'spend' that he is involved in.

How positively re-assuring!

From that statement given at that time the public were to believe that Madeleine, in her lair, would remain there for 10 years, meanwhile dodgy Dave would not go find the lair - way much too difficult a task to travel to 
Lair Land he said - but they were to be re-assured that McCann said, the he Edgar, would be accountable for every penny of your money (which he would spend NOT looking for Madeleine!)

And from that time on, until present day - Dave kept his word, at least on one count that we know of - He never did go to Lair Land!
-maybe he preferred Disneyland - He could certainly afford it courtesy of the fees charged to missing Madeleine Fund!

As for his 'spend' well I'm sure if a Judge ...if he was asked by a member of the public, one of those generous, kind people who had parted with their cash, to produce all his receipts, he would be able to.

But who were/are the crooks in this somewhat seedy case, not in relation to Madeleine vanishing, but in relation to monies?

At the time of these appeals for cash the McCanns had signed a book deal, the book to be launched in April of 2011 the very time they claimed the Fund monies might run out, yet in this interview they made no mention whatsoever of any book deal, just asked for cash?

Incredible as it sounds the daring duo had no qualms about doing an Oliver and asking for more!  Almost £1m down the drain, paid to to two separate private detective companies, and they wanted more, and they'd happily take it from anyone willing to part with their cash, kids, old folks, people who had little, made no difference to them where it came from as long as they got the cash.

Did the McCanns, one has to wonder, ever put a dime of their own money into the pot - not the monies they were awarded in libel actions, but put their hands in their own pockets and donate monies which they had earned, to help Madeleine?

It's doubtful they did, as what we do know is that they paid two mortgage payments on their home from this Fund, £2,000 a pop - so seems unlikely they made a donation!

But back to Halligen.

Darshna Soni interviewed the McCanns in November 2010 she quizzed them on Halligen the dodgy detective and the even more dodgy, slippery Gerry McCann, well he ...he dodged the questions... 

Darshna Soni:

You've also spent money on your own investigators, as you've said, and there have been reports that...that some of these detectives have...have taken money but then not delivered; they're DODGY DETECTIVES, if you like.   HOW CAN YOU REASSURE THE PEOPLE THAT...THAT MONEY WON'T BE SPENT ON PEOPLE LIKE THAT IN THE FUTURE? 

Gerry McCann:

Well, we've very much had, errm...for the last two-and-a-bit years, errr...we've had Dave Edgar, err...who's a very experienced, errr...detective, errr...who was near retirement; he's been working with us.  Errr...he's very much accountable for the spend.  Errr...He feels he can justify every penny.  Errm...But, at the same time, I hope public realise as well - as directors of the fund, and particularly when we were arguido, and there was no search going on - that it was incumbent upon us to continue a search in very, very difficult circumstances.   so we have made decisions along the way which have always, we felt, been in the best interest of the search to find Madeleine and, errr...we're accountable. All the expenses are there, errr...receipts and we've got quite a tight-knit team, errr...working on this but we need them.  Without it there would be no-one there to go and interview people and follow up leads.  

Darshna Soni:  

What about the...some people might say that...that the judgement of the trustees is sometimes questionable because you have employed people like Kevin Halligen, who's now facing extradition.

Gerry McCann:
[size=13][size=18]

[size=16]Well, you know, we're doing the best in very, very difficult circumstances, errr... I think that's key. We'll always take advice, due diligence is done, references are sought and, you know, the fund is accountable and, errr... as directors we're responsible for making those decisions.

END
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]Well folks what d'ya think of McCanns words of reassurance, that he wouldn't lose again £half million of your money, if you'll only just part with some more?  Dave Edgar McCann said, FEELS HE can justify every penny, and HE'S the one who is very accountable for the spend!  Oh and Gerry has some receipts!  

So if it all was to go wrong again, never fear folks, it won't be anything to do with McCann Fund Directors, who are Kate McCann Gerry McCann, and various members of their family and friends, nothing to do with them, Dave will take the blame!

But what of the money that did go missing?

Was Halligen not very accountable?

And if he wasn't, and he clearly wasn't - if we believe the McCanns story - Why was this lack of accountability not discovered by Kate and Gerry McCann and the then Board of Directors which included, Gerry McCanns brother John McCann, Kate McCanns Uncle Brian Kennedy, and an assortment of their good buddies, Gerry McCanns boss at the hospital where he worked too was part of this group.

So how did the McCanns and their buddies, not notice that month after month as they paid this guy Halligen, that they were not getting any reports, or meaningful reports from him in relation to missing Madeleine, nothing in return for the vast sums of money they were paying him?

Was it not these above named persons who were/are responsible for sanctioning any
 monies leaving the Fund and paid to Halligen or whomever?

This Board has a lawyer, a retired accountant, and various others, how did they manage to lose £300,000/£500,000 to this guy Halligen?

Was it paid directly into a bank account in Halligen's name?

What a joke!

McCann is taking the piss out of the public in that interview, playing them for fools - he didn't answer the question asked! 

Who cares if McCann thinks, that Edgar thinks, he can justify a 'spend' - that doesn't answer how he/The Fund is going to re-assure the public that they will not lose more £millions donated by the public to dodgy detectives.  

And he has the audacity to say that the public should realise that it was incumbent on them, Gerry and Kate McCann to search for Madeleine -  Well that makes it all okay then - folks start raiding your kids piggy banks - Gerry McCann has spoken!  Like a modern day highway robber - stand and deliver, and don't forget to feel sorry for them at the same time!

McCann goes on to say 'due diligence' is always done, references sought, and that the Fund is accountable!

How in hell then did Halligen manage to get his hands on Madeleine's money?

• What references did the Board of the Madeleine Fund obtain in relation to Halligen?

• Are they able to produce them?

• Who specifically, which Board member carried out the 'due diligence?'

• Was it John McCann, Gerry McCanns brother?

I ask about brother John McCann as he gave up his job almost immediately Madeleine vanished, to work for the Fund.

I somehow don't think the guy was working for nothing!

Somehow I don't think the guy was that well off, that he could live without earned income. 

And brother Gerry and sister-in-law Kate were in no position to pay him whatever his salary was before giving up his job, they were hard-up' it would seem, as why else would they "borrow" from the Fund to pay for their mortgage, which they did!  A loophole that was later closed preventing them making any further mortgage payments on their home from Madeleine's money!

Darshna Soni quizzed the McCanns about "Brother John" and also Gerry McCanns boss who too was a member of this Board.

[size=13][size=16]Darshna Soni:

And there are also reports that you'd fallen out with some of the trustees, WITH YOUR BROTHER AND YOUR BOSS WHO HAVE RESIGNED?

Gerry McCann: 

Well, that's nonsense. That's absolute nonsense. Why do you say we've fallen out? I mean the fund has changed, errm... over three years, three-and-a-half years. Errr... It's very different, errm... initially we weren't on the board, errr... because we were based in Portugal.

Kate McCann: 

Nobody thought, you know, three and a half years ago that we'd be in this situation today. Its a big commitment, you know, and things have changed. We've got different phases, in the last three and a half years, so inevitably there's going to be changes.

[size=16]Darshna Soni:

SO, IT'S NOT THAT YOU'VE HAD DIFFERENCES OVER THE WAY THE MONEY WAS SPENT OR..?
[/size]

[size=13][size=16]Gerry McCann:

No, not at all.
[/size]

Kate McCann:[/size] 

Certainly not.

END

I think Darshna hit a raw nerve with those questions!  The duo doth protest too much!

So what happened to John McCann where did he disappear to - and why did he resign from the Board of Directors of the Madeleine Fund?

McCanns didn't seem keen to tell us why Brother John vanished!

Gerry McCann did continue with one of his usual garbled responses, you know the ones he likes to use when attempting to muddy the waters further or wriggle out of something.  I've broken- down the last paragraph of Gerry McCanns response so as to highlight the absurdity of what he is saying ... which still doesn't explain the reason why brother John either jumped ship or was pushed overboard!

[/size]Gerry McCann: 

In fact, any of the changes we have made recently are to make the fund more efficient and more responsive. 

Errm... Kate and I always feel, you know, there's still an urgency.

It doesn't get easier and we don't need a large board, as such. 

We're trying to run the fund like a small business, in many ways, so that it's focused and that the directors, by and large, are hands on and responsible for certain areas. 

Kate and I are integral to all the parts of it.

We've got legal advice; we've got specialist media, errr... liaison, etcetera; 

We've got a retired accountant; and, you know, 
We've got Kate's uncle who is there and is a good governance, errr... sort of person. 

So all of these are taken on board and, errr... we've got a very experienced fund administrator as well.

[/size]

• So let's get this straight, McCann is saying that after brother John left the Fund this change and others has allowed for the Fund to be more efficient and responsive?  He just doesn't tell us - IN WHAT WAY it became more efficient and responsive?

• He and Kate always feel there is an urgency?  For what exactly, to get the kids to bed and go out for a drink? To use the bathroom?

• It doesn't get easier and they don't need a large Board as such! Well why does their now Board, now pretty much number the same as from the outset? 

• They are trying to run the Fund like a small business? The Directors are focussed and hands on, responsible for certain areas.   Well that should have made it easier for them to figure out: Which of them was responsible for the hiring of Halligen, who checked him out, who did the due diligence? Which of them them was responsible for signing off the payments? And which of them reviewed the reports received from Halligen? Brother John has to have been responsible for at least one of the aforementioned (he didn't leave his job to sit twiddling his thumbs at Fund headquarters wherever that might be!  Where do they meet this band of buddies?) but at the end of the day - the entire Board is responsible, decisions to hire a private detective and pay out vast sums of money to him for zilch, aren't made by one individual, and payments are never made, signed off, authorised by one person where there is a Board.

• He and Kate are integral to all parts of it!  Well that is comforting, or is it?

• McCann said they have legal advice, specialist media, err liaison(Mitchell ?) an accountant, and they have Kate's uncle who is err a good governance, sort of person.  And they have an experienced Fund Administrator as well, all on the Board of Directors.

[size][color][font]
[size=16]So why is it then that all these persons, experienced persons, professionals, managed to be fooled by this guy Halligen?

And Kate McCanns dithering old Uncle Brian - 'A good governance, sort of person?'

The guy must have switched off during the period the monies were being handed to Halligen, he didn't exactly manage the Fund resources or finances well did he?  

His 'decision making' seems to have been that of a 'sort of good governance person, a pretendy governance person, and NOT that of a good governance person!

You gotta laugh at McCann - Well what position would you like on the Board Brian?  Brian - I'd like to be a good governance sort of person, got any vacancies Gerry?

In case anyone is left in any doubt that Gerry McCann was more than reluctant to answer the questions posed by Darshna Soni, let's see what he had to say when asked about WHERE the Fund monies have gone, and how Kate McCann tries to get him out of an awkward situation.

And still he did not give any indication, confirm that the money, £hundreds of thousands went to Halligen - Or did it?  

Darshna Soni:
[size=18] 

And you're appealing for more funds. What happened to the money that you had previously? There's... there's around, I understand, £350,000 left. What happened to the previous money that was donated?

[/size]Gerry McCann:

Okay. I think the first thing to say is that the priority today is very much about asking the public to help us with the petition, errr... to get the government to do more. We have been fortunate - although it's not helped us get where we want - by having a fund. And the fund was set up in response to people offering money; and it was set up properly; and the fund is very accountable; and it has independent auditors. We have a fund administ... fund administrator, who's got lots of experience, but the vast... the vast amount of... the vast majority of the money in the fund has been spent directly on search fees. It's obviously supported other things; awareness campaigns; errm... we have a part-time co-ordinator now; we have, errr... media liaison to deal with things like this here, and in Portugal, in trying to get our messages across. But the most of the money... the vast majority of it's been spent, errm...  

Kate McCann:  

We've had to find fund an investigation for two years now which, as you can imagine - with several more than that personnel - it...it costs money, you know, and...

Gerry McCann: 

Staff; expenses; interviewing; we run a 24-hour, errr helpline, which is available; we run a web site - that costs money, updating it; communications.  You know, all of these things do add up, errm...and without having the fund there wouldn't be a meaningful search today.

END

[/size]
Good to look back and refresh our memories of Halligan-gate, see hear what McCann had to say about it and watch him squirm at the questions put to him by Darshna Soni, and what struck me apart from all of the usual ducking and diving, evasive answers we have come to expect when the McCanns are being interviewed is that Gerry McCann said:

"We have been fortunate - although it's not helped us get where we want - by having a fund."

So three and a half years after Madeleine had vanished, the Fund monies had not produced Madeleine, or any clues, leads.  So why was he still asking the public for more?  How could they possibly justify that, especially in light of losing almost £half million?

Oh, but  I think the Fund DID help them to get exactly where they wanted to be at that time, and it has definitely been more than helpful in getting them to where they are now!

The Met investigation I guess put a spoke in the wheels of the Fund, to some degree, and now that DCI Redwood has also said that Madeleine was perhaps not alive when removed from apartment 5A - ouch!

This upcoming documentary about Halligen:

'This documentary explores the story of 'Operation Omega' in which a man named Kevin Halligen CONVINCED the parents of missing Madeleine McCann, he was a SECRET AGENT. It soon transpired he had actually been CONNING the family the whole time,however, evidence he had gathered has since been used in the Scotland Yard case. In this film, ex-FBI agents, ex-military officers and ex-MI5 personnel discuss the con and the subsequent use of evidence.'

Interesting that it states Halligen 'convinced' the parents of missing Madeleine McCann that he was a secret agent.

From this I think we can safely assume that the McCanns are going to be portrayed as the poor unsuspecting victims of crime as they always are.

Sounds good for them and bad for Halligen when they put it that way - poor parents of a missing child, duped by the fraudster. 

Wouldn't look so good if it read:

'Team McCann, the Board of Directors of the Madeleine Fund, consisting Gerry McCanns brother John, and Kate's Uncle Brian, a good governance, sort of guy, together with a lawyer, a retired accountant, a consultant at the hospital, Gerry McCanns boss and buddie, and other family and friends, with input from the other Brian Kennedy the wealthy backer who for some time funded the paid liar, Mitchell's fees, not forgetting the experienced Fund Administrator, together with Kate and Gerry McCann both doctors, were all duped into believing that they had a secret agent working for them! 

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it does it?  Wouldn't get the same sympathetic response that they are probably hoping for when this documentary airs.

Do we really believe that these "poor parents" were duped - the parents who have hidden e.fits of their daughter, ducked, dived, have been evasive, acted out just about every trick in the book and then some..?

As they say, you can't kid a kidder, and you can't con a con!  

The above transcript I took from mccannfiles (what would we all do without McCannfiles, the tremendous work by Nigel Moore)

http://www.mccannfiles.com/id343.html

The full interview is there together with the videos.

Worth a look (if you can bear to listen to McCanns whining voice and look at his weedy little tight mouth, as he dictates) the video - Part 2 of 2, and at 0.47 secs on the recording Darshna Soni questions McCanns re the Fund, and of course about Brother John?

McCann, wriggles in his seat, becomes flushed, scratches his head, almost tugs at his ear, then quickly refrains from this, he is evasive and he becomes angry at being asked about Brother John - tugs at his sleeve when asked about Dr Amaral - smirks when he thinks he has given Soni a clever answer, the self same expression as in the Paxman interview - Classic McCann!

So who is conning who?

Are the McCanns conning the public?
Did Halligen con the McCanns?
Did someone on the McCann Board con the other Board Members?

And why now with this documentary on Halligen?

Are they all in it together?

From where I'm sitting - Wouldn't trust any one of them!

McCann said he his Board of Directors are a tight-knit team - I think he forgot to mention tight-lipped also - when it comes to the truth about Halligen, his brother John and much else - their lips are sealed!

On surface looks as though this documentary will be slanted in favour of the McCanns, but let us see!

l-azzeri-lies-in-the-sun.com
25th May 2014
[/font][/color][/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 25.05.14 21:41

Ironically, though, the conman Halligan, or more precisely Exton who was employed  by the same firm, did come up with something relevant to the search for MM, he produced a report critical of the McCanns and two e-fits of a man seen by the Smith family. While this doesn't amount to £300,000 worth of work, the firm hasn't entirely conned the people who donated to the fund.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 25.05.14 21:44

Hey hey, I've seen this interview a couple of times but not this unexpurgated one on the McCann file link given above (Andrew77R's post). Just another example of KH caught off-guard smiling away then realising the camera is on her. Just watch her putting on the agony at around 0.55.

Thanks for posting this Andrew77R. I like Lazzeri lies in the sun. Great stuff.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.05.14 0:37

[size=48]EXCLUSIVE: Madeleine McCann bogus super-spy 'will crack case'[/size]

A BOGUS super-spy hired by Madeleine McCann’s parents could solve the case.

By Jerry Lawton/Published 27th May 2014

[size=12]MISSING: Police are still investigating the perplexing disappearance of Madeleine McCann [EPA]

A new TV shock documentary tells how he identified the prime suspect in the mystery.

A year after the then three-year-old’s 2007 disappearance, Irishman Kevin Halligen, 52, signed a £500,000 deal to locate her.

[/size]
Channel 5 spokesman wrote:“The McCanns trusted Kevin Halligen to bring her home.”
[size][color]

Boasting of connections with MI5, MI6, the CIA, FBI, and the White House he planned to use hi-tech surveillance techniques.

But his contract was terminated after organisers of the public fund set up to find the youngster decided he had failed to honour their agreement.

Halligen was then arrested and extradited to the US where he was jailed last year for 44 months after admitting defrauding a different client out of $2.1m.

Madeleine’s doctor parents Kate, 46, and Gerry, 45, were understood to be considering suing Halligen over his Operation Omega probe into their daughter’s disappearance.
RELATED ARTICLES
[/color][/size]
[size][color]

But according to a new Channel 5 documentary Halligen’s operatives may end up solving the mystery. They identified as the prime suspect a man seen heading towards the beach in Praia da Luz, Portugal, clutching a sleeping blonde girl around 10pm the night Madeleine vanished.

Halligen’s investigators convinced the Irish family who saw her to help produce an e-fit. That man is now the Metropolitan Police’s No1 suspect.

Detectives believe he may be a serial sex attacker who targeted a string of other Brit girls on the Algarve.

In the documentary, The McCanns And The Conman – due to be screened on June 4 – recently freed Halligen will speak for the first time about his theory.

A spokesman for Channel 5 said: “The McCanns trusted Kevin Halligen to bring her home.”

Halligen was allegedly spending significant amounts of the cash meant to help find Madeleine on his luxury lifestyle.

Channel 5’s Emma Westcott said: “This is the extraordinary story of one man’s claims, and how he exploited the nightmare of a missing child.”
[/color][/size]

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 27.05.14 0:44

Thanks for the info Andrew.

I particularly like this bit:

In the documentary, The McCanns And The Conman – due to be screened on June 4 – recently freed Halligen will speak for the first time about his theory.

There's hope.

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 27.05.14 1:08

Article in today's Express: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/478406/Madeleine-McCann-Private-eye-to-break-silence-on-hunt

I wonder how much Halligen has been paid to tell the story of how he duped a couple of bereft parents out of shedloads of the hard-earned money which was given to them by a trusting public in the belief they were intent on searching for their eldest daughter in places other than 5* hotels and courts of law?

Did Halligen get a bonus for claiming that 'someone' knows where Madeleine is and it'll only take another few million £s made payable to the limited company to ensure she's home for Christmas 2088?

I may be in a minority of one but may I ask other members to please post links to articles, with a precis of the content if required, as I find lengthy pieces in multi-coloured, multi-sized type exceeding hard on the eyes?

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

From Express.co.uk

Post by Guest on 27.05.14 1:09

[size=40]Madeleine McCann private eye breaks his silence on the hunt in a new Channel 5 documetary[/size]

THE private investigator behind the 2008 operation to find Madeleine McCann will speak for the first time about his search for the youngster.

By: John Chapman
Published: Tue, May 27, 2014

The new documentary will air next week on Channel 5[PA]

Kevin Halligen will break his silence in an exclusive Channel 5 interview for a documentary, The McCanns And The Conman.

The 53-year-old set up Operation Omega after being commissioned by parents Kate and Gerry McCann to find Maddy, who vanished at the age of three while on holiday in Praia da Luz, Portugal, in May 2007.

Halligan, a Surrey-based Irishman, promised to use his MI5, MI6 and CIA “contacts” to try to track down the girl.

The security consultant signed a six-figure contract – but questions were later raised over exactly how the money was spent.

Now Halligen, who also claimed to have FBI and White House connections, has agreed to tell his side of the story.

This is the extraordinary story of one man’s audacious claims, and how he fooled the intelligence community
Emma Westcott, of Channel 5

The documentary, due to be screened next week, reads like the plot of a spy movie.

It is an extraordinary tale of covert surveillance, sting operations and the bugging of a key witness through the twists and turns of the hunt for a man who was then a prime suspect, code-named “George”.

Halligen’s final report is said to contain significant leads that now form part of the current Scotland Yard investigation, including the crucial e-fits based on the so-called “Smith sighting”, which was aired on Crimewatch last October.

But it transpired that Halligen was an audacious conman, who led people into believing he was a spy.

He was arrested in 2009 and jailed in the US for defrauding an unrelated client on a previous kidnap and ransom case.

He has recently been released from prison.

Channel 5’s Emma Westcott said: “This is the extraordinary story of one man’s audacious claims, and how he fooled the intelligence community.”

• The McCanns And The Conman, Channel 5, June 4, 9pm.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShuBob on 27.05.14 1:29

@ultimaThule wrote:Article in today's Express: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/478406/Madeleine-McCann-Private-eye-to-break-silence-on-hunt

I wonder how much Halligen has been paid to tell the story of how he duped a couple of bereft parents out of shedloads of the hard-earned money which was given to them by a trusting public in the belief they were intent on searching for their eldest daughter in places other than 5* hotels and courts of law?

Did Halligen get a bonus for claiming that 'someone' knows where Madeleine is and it'll only take another few million £s made payable to the limited company to ensure she's home for Christmas 2088?

I may be in a minority of one but may I ask other members to please post links to articles, with a precis of the content if required, as I find lengthy pieces in multi-coloured, multi-sized type exceeding hard on the eyes?

Perhaps, he has been paid to tell his side of the story which is at odds with at least one of Clarence Mitchell's versions?

It's a possibility.

ShuBob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by notlongnow on 27.05.14 1:31

Andrew77R wrote:

By Jerry Lawton/Published 27th May 2014

[size=12]MISSING: Police are still

[/size]
Channel 5 spokesman wrote:“The McCanns trusted Kevin Halligen to bring her home.”

Halligen’s investigators convinced the Irish family who saw her to help produce an e-fit. That man is now the Metropolitan Police’s No1 suspect.

wonder how much if any time will be spent on this.

notlongnow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 27.05.14 1:37

Conman in Madeleine McCann cash claims
The Scotsman
Tuesday 27th May 2014

by CHRIS MARSHALL

Published on the 27 May

A CONMAN who allegedly used public donations designed to find Madeleine McCann to fund his extravagant lifestyle has spoken about his role in the search for the first time.

Kevin Halligen led a £500,000 investigation into Madeleine’s disappearance after claiming to have contacts within MI5, the CIA and even the White House.

But it is claimed he spent large amounts of the cash on his “high-roller lifestyle”, while neglecting to pay his “Operation Omega” team in the Algarve 
resort of Praia da Luz.

Halligen, recently released from a four-year jail term for an unrelated crime, tells his story for the first time as part of a TV documentary to be screened next week, it emerged yesterday.

A year after Madeleine’s disappearance in 2007, Kate and Gerry McCann hired Halligen as a private investigator. He reportedly spent much of the money on luxury hotels, restaurants and a chauffeur.

But despite neglecting his Operation Omega team, the new film claims the investigators made significant breakthroughs in the hunt for the missing child.

The team’s final report in 2008 is said to have contained leads which are now forming part of the current Scotland Yard investigation, including a sighting by retired businessman Martin Smith which led to an e-fit shown on Crimewatch last year.

Halligen’s firm, Oakley International, had its contract terminated by the McCanns after questions were raised about the quality of its work.

The Irishman was found guilty last year by an American court of defrauding Dutch firm Trafigura of £1.2 million, with his sentence backdated to his arrest in 2009.

Another of Halligen’s firms, Red Defence International, was hired as a consultant after two of Trafigura’s executives were taken hostage in the Ivory Coast.

Halligen claimed to have racked up £1.2m in expenses during the rescue operation, but had actually spent the money on a home in Virginia.

Emma Westcott, commissioning editor of factual programmes for Channel 5, said: “It’s seven years since Madeleine McCann disappeared and it remains one of the most troubling mysteries of our time. This documentary is the extraordinary story of one man’s audacious claims, and how he not only fooled the intelligence community at the highest level, but cynically exploited the nightmare of a missing child and her family.”

In 2010, a Sunday newspaper investigation claimed Halligen went on a spending spree while in the pay of the Find Madeleine Fund. According to the report, in his first two months as lead investigator in the search for Madeleine, Halligen spent £7,000 on a chauffeur.

A few months later, on a short trip to New York with a girlfriend, he spent £1,600 on Salvatore Ferragamo leather goods, £5,500 on handbags, £500 on a meal, £150 on a pair of designer glasses and £900 on a three-night stay at the five-star Renaissance Hotel.

The McCanns and the 
Conman will be screened on Wednesday 4 June on Channel 5.

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 27.05.14 1:58

@ShuBob wrote:
@ultimaThule wrote:Article in today's Express: http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/478406/Madeleine-McCann-Private-eye-to-break-silence-on-hunt

Perhaps, he has been paid to tell his side of the story which is at odds with at least one of Clarence Mitchell's versions?

It's a possibility.

Perhaps KH will tell us what was said/discussed at the 'cosy kitchen chats' he had with the McCanns at Rothley Manor?

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 27.05.14 2:15

Perhaps the filmmaker(s) will ask the one question which might blow the top off this particular chapter in the history of The Fund... "Were Kate and Gerry aware how much of a conman you were, when they hired you?"

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 27.05.14 2:21

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/380792/EXCLUSIVE-Madeleine-McCann-bogus-super-spy-will-crack-case

EXCLUSIVE: Madeleine McCann bogus super-spy 'will crack case'

A BOGUS super-spy hired by Madeleine McCann’s parents could solve the case.

By Jerry Lawton/Published 27th May 2014

A new TV shock documentary tells how he identified the prime suspect in the mystery.

A year after the then three-year-old’s 2007 disappearance, Irishman Kevin Halligen, 52, signed a £500,000 deal to locate her.

“The McCanns trusted Kevin Halligen to bring her home.”

Channel 5 spokesman
Boasting of connections with MI5, MI6, the CIA, FBI, and the White House he planned to use hi-tech surveillance techniques.

But his contract was terminated after organisers of the public fund set up to find the youngster decided he had failed to honour their agreement.

Halligen was then arrested and extradited to the US where he was jailed last year for 44 months after admitting defrauding a different client out of $2.1m.

Madeleine’s doctor parents Kate, 46, and Gerry, 45, were understood to be considering suing Halligen over his Operation Omega probe into their daughter’s disappearance.

Related articles•Madeleine McCann Portugal hunt goes into overdrive as major digs are prepared
•Convicted child rapist quizzed over Madeleine McCann disappearance
•Madeleine McCann: British police banned from searching homes by Portuguese law chiefs

But according to a new Channel 5 documentary Halligen’s operatives may end up solving the mystery.

They identified as the prime suspect a man seen heading towards the beach in Praia da Luz, Portugal, clutching a sleeping blonde girl around 10pm the night Madeleine vanished.

Halligen’s investigators convinced the Irish family who saw her to help produce an e-fit.

That man is now the Metropolitan Police’s No1 suspect.

Detectives believe he may be a serial sex attacker who targeted a string of other Brit girls on the Algarve.

A spokesman for Channel 5 said: “The McCanns trusted Kevin Halligen to bring her home.”

Halligen was allegedly spending significant amounts of the cash meant to help find Madeleine on his luxury lifestyle.

Channel 5’s Emma Westcott said: “This is the extraordinary story of one man’s claims, and how he exploited the nightmare of a missing child.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Halligen’s investigators convinced the Irish family who saw her to help produce an e-fit.

That man is now the Metropolitan Police’s No1 suspect.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"convinced"? (ALL the Irish family?)

Oh dear.

(btw, who is the "HER" who the 'investigators' convinced the Smiths they "saw"?)

"to help produce an e-fit." ...................FULL FACE, even though NO ONE of the Irish family 'SAW' his face!

Oh dear.

And the entire Operation Strange, Met Police 'team' are NOW also 'convinced' by a convicted conman's 'investigators' E-Fits? (of a man, whose FACE, NOBODY saw, but were 'convinced' they HAD 'seen'!)

Semms like there is more than one 'conman' trying to 'convince' people about this case!

Oh dear.

Making HIM their No1 'suspect'!

Oh dear.

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 27.05.14 2:31

@jeanmonroe wrote:
@ShuBob wrote:

It's a possibility.

Perhaps KH will tell us what was said/discussed at the 'cosy kitchen chats' he had with the McCanns at Rothley Manor?

'Cosy kitchen chats', jeanm?  Would that be while Kate rustled up plates of scouse and deep fried mars bars and Gerry busied himself uncorking the NZ plonk?

Given the famous 'Gerry touch', I wonder what he uses to open a bottle that doesn't require a trip to A&E?  Does he give it a Glaswegian kiss or does he simply glare at the cork until it shrivels?   sarcastic

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum on 27.05.14 2:52

Oh dear. I've just had a nasty sinking feeling. Is 'Smithman ' about to be dissed because he was discovered by Halligen?

worriedmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 18 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum