The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Tory cabinet minister accused of rape 'protected from arrest in a murky establishment cover-up'

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tory cabinet minister accused of rape 'protected from arrest in a murky establishment cover-up'

Post by sharonl on 18.05.14 10:42

May 17, 2014 21:30
By Keir Mudie

The alleged victim became so concerned about the failure of police to act on information she gave them that she angrily confronted a senior detective involved

Cover up: The alleged victim is worried the attacker may be being protected

The woman who accuses a ­budding Tory star of raping her ­believes he is being protected from arrest in a murky establishment cover-up.

She became so concerned about the failure of police to act on information she gave them that she angrily confronted a senior detective involved, reports the Sunday People

Her experiences left her convinced that ­officers looked for excuses to shelve their investigation and shield the man – who had gone on to become an MP and Cabinet Minister.

The alleged victim, who we are calling Jane, said in an interview with the Sunday People and the investigative website Exaro: “Compare the handling of this case with celebrity investigations.

"There appears to be an inconsistency.

“Celebrities were quickly interviewed by police, and yet my allegations are similar. I am concerned that people may be protecting this man.

“I am mindful of the fact that there have been cover-ups after cover-ups.

“I am realistic about what has gone on with regard to this person and how much has been done to cover up.

“I simply wanted to help the police, to be able to get things out in the open, which they have not been able to do.”

Her fears are shared by Labour MP Tom Watson , who made allegations of a network of sex abusers among senior politicians and dignitaries to the House of Commons in 2012.

Mr Watson believes that by not interviewing the former MP who Jane ­accuses, police failed to follow their own guidelines on rape allegations.

At the centre of the dispute is whether or not Jane made it clear she did not consent to sex.

She says police have argued that she “voluntarily undressed” – which she disputes.

She went to police after watching on TV the dramatic Commons exchanges between Mr Watson and David Cameron, in which the Prime Minister was urged to investigate historical claims of a “powerful paedophile network linked to Parliament and No10”.

Tom Watson MP Tom Watson MP leaves The Royal Courts of Justice after giving evidence to The Leveson Inquiry

Mr Watson’s extraordinary intervention followed the exposure of BBC DJ Jimmy Savile as a paedophile.

The Metropolitan Police responded by launching Operation Fairbank, to investigate claims, also revealed by the Sunday People, that senior political figures sexually abused children.

Another inquiry, Operation Fernbridge, began looking at claims from three decades ago that senior Conservatives and other VIPs sexually abused boys at the Elm Guest House in South West London.

Jane decided the time was right to offer detectives her evidence that she was raped in 1967 by a man who later became a Cabinet Minister.

She first contacted local ­police outside London, who interviewed her and took video testimony.

The case was then referred to the Metropolitan Police. Jane said: “They clocked it ­because of the name of the person.”

Scotland Yard passed the case to its paedophile unit, which was already investigating allegations that the man had sexually abused male teenagers and at one point planned to arrest him.

A female officer was assigned to liaise with Jane, who then gave a second round of detailed interviews.

Months later the liaison officer fixed an appointment with Jane and another CID officer.

Jane said that during the meeting, at which her partner Michael was also present, the liaison officer commented that she was already sexually active at the time of the alleged attack and had “an illegitimate baby”.

Jane said: “It struck us as odd. What relevance did that have to what ­happened?

"It was very insensitive of her just to throw it at me like that.”

The detectives then told her the case would not proceed.

One read from an email she believed was from the Crown Prosecution Service, saying the reason was Jane had not explicitly refused to consent to sex.

Jane ­recalled: “I was totally taken aback. I might not have gone forward if I had known they felt they wouldn’t have enough to prosecute.”

The detectives insisted the alleged attacker had received no special treatment and had not been identified to the CPS, ensuring ­objective treatment.

"Jane remembered the detectives seemed deeply disappointed by what she assumed was a CPS decision not to proceed.

She said: “I am not sure that they were surprised but I think that they were upset.

House-of-Commons Accusation: The alleged attacker went on to become a high profile MP

"They wanted to move forward but could not.”

Although there was no DNA evidence and nothing to support Jane’s testimony about the attack, the detectives accepted that her account of what happened on a blind date with the man in 1967 was supported by other people, including Jane’s former flatmate.

She said: “They said they fully appreciated what I had gone through and felt for me – but there was nothing more they could do.”

Jane asked the officers if it would help if she brought a private prosecution.

She was told: “If you want to lose your home.”

Some time later, Jane asked her liaison officer for sight of a letter from the CPS that would confirm, as had been implied to her, that its lawyers decided against proceeding.

She was astonished to be told there was no letter from the CPS, nor indeed any record they made that decision.

Jane then met a Detective Chief Inspector in charge of investigations into the former Tory minister.

Both she and Michael recalled that the DCI told them he – NOT the CPS – took the ­decision not to proceed because there was no evidence.

"He had, however, taken ­advice from prosecutors.

He said no one had spoken to Jane’s alleged attacker, who was neither ­arrested nor interviewed under caution.

The DCI said the evidence suggested Jane “voluntarily” took off her clothes – which she angrily rejected.

He then read from a summary of her alleged statements to police.

But she insisted: “It was nothing like what I told detectives. I asked him why he was doing this to me.

"He said: ‘We only have your word.’ But if they had questioned him it could’ve been tested.”

Jane said the DCI told her: “With you, it is all about who he is.”

But Jane, who says she feels “brutally misled”, added: “No. It is about what he has done.”

Scotland Yard said: “All matters under Operation Fairbank remain under review and we will not be discussing further.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-cabinet-minister-accused-rape-3558978#ixzz323hNJHhA
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Re: Tory cabinet minister accused of rape 'protected from arrest in a murky establishment cover-up'

Post by Guest on 18.05.14 11:19

Protecting their own, closing ranks, I'll wait and see how quickly this drops out of the news

This is the womans interview with the Sunday People / Mirror

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cabinet-minister-lured-woman-flat-3558919

Back to top Go down

Re: Tory cabinet minister accused of rape 'protected from arrest in a murky establishment cover-up'

Post by Woofer on 18.05.14 13:14

Wonder who it is?

1967 was a high flying professional man and lived in an exclusive mansion block near a tube station in an upmarket area of London.

He wore grease in his hair

He was well spoken

He went on to become a Tory MP

Later rising to national prominence in the Tory party

No longer a member of the cabinet

Operation Fernbridge are already investigating him over allegations of abuse of male teenagers

I know we can`t name names but can we hint?

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 18.05.14 14:53

@Woofer wrote:Wonder who it is?

1967 was a high flying professional man and lived in an exclusive mansion block near a tube station in an upmarket area of London.

He was well spoken

Operation Fernbridge are already investigating him over allegations of abuse of male teenagers

Are you hinting at someone who shares a surname with a certain cop in the McCann case?

sharonl

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 18.05.14 15:14

Too young to be that person Sharonl?

The first thing that popped into my head reading Woofer's post was Vatman.

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by angusallan on 18.05.14 15:19

@sharonl wrote:

He was well spoken

Are you hinting at someone who shares a surname with a certain cop in the McCann case?
DELETE

angusallan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.05.14 15:34

It's a shame that Little Britain wasn't around to parody Thatcher's cabinet although, of course, Daffyd wouldn't have been the only gay in that particular village. winkwink 

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 18.05.14 15:46

@sharonl wrote:

He was well spoken

Trying to think of all the cops in the McCann case - leave it with me.
VATMAN i.e. where you go for a haircut died in 2005 - this fellow is supposed to be still alive.
I reckon ultimatule could be on to something.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 18.05.14 16:05

@Woofer wrote:
@sharonl wrote:

He was well spoken

Trying to think of all the cops in the McCann case - leave it with me.
VATMAN i.e. where you go for a haircut died in 2005 - this fellow is supposed to be still alive.
I reckon ultimatule could be on to something.

Don't worry about it, Thetruthwillout is correct, he would be too young to fit in with details in your previous post.

sharonl

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 18.05.14 16:14

Somerset shoe company ?

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 18.05.14 16:18

@Woofer wrote:

Vatman is a rather obscure reference I admit. Just being careful! This person is still alive though.

@Woofer wrote:Somerset shoe company

I wouldn't say that person is well spoken IMO (if I'm thinking of the correct person)

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 18.05.14 16:29

In 1984 the late Geoffrey Dickens MP handed a dossier of child abuse allegations to the then Home Secretary, Leon Brittan, which has not as yet been found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Dickens

It should be noted that Geoffrey Dickens campaigned against the Paedophile Information Exchange, an organisation so enthusiastically promoted by Harriet Harman that she's had to apologise for her misguided support of its aims which would appear to have included lowering the age of consent to 4.  

For a more recent example of a blatant cover up of systematic sexual abuse of children in care google DI Clive Driscoll...  and weep at what Scotland Yard did to this outstanding detective who is a shining example of what a Metropolitan Police officer should be.

IMO if DI Driscoll had been the lead officer of Operation Grange, the perpetrators of heinous crimes against Madeleine McCann would have been charged and tried long ago and the good people of Portugal and the UK would now have the satisfaction of knowing that they'd be spending the rest of their days behind bars.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18.05.14 17:40

He was well spoken

The other night I watched the movie "Goodbye Gemini", which somebody had helpfully uploaded to Youtube. Michael Redgrave - in one of his last ever film roles - plays a (presumably Tory) MP who attends swinging (in every sense of the word) parties in London and is complicit in covering up a murder. A work of fiction, quite clearly, but contemporaneous to a lot of the murky events currently under discussion and probably a fair reflection of the times.

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 18.05.14 17:57

no one greased their hair in 1967 surely ?

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sharonl on 18.05.14 18:25

@Woofer wrote:Somerset shoe company ?

He's dead isn't  he?

The singing nightingale is dead too

Edited to say that I agree, you are probably spot on here - it would help if I looked at the right at the right shoe company  big grin 

sharonl

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 18.05.14 20:00

@sharonl wrote:
@Woofer wrote:Somerset shoe company ?

He's dead isn't  he?

The singing nightingale is dead too

Edited to say that I agree, you are probably spot on here - it would help if I looked at the right at the right shoe company  big grin 

laugh  Haha - yep, just add an `e`

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19.05.14 9:59

Extro first reported on this 16 February 2013 makes interesting reading, although they don't name the  ex Tory cabinet minister for legal reasons. Is this when the cover up started by people at the top?

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/4838/met-paedophile-unit-prepares-to-arrest-ex-tory-cabinet-minister

Is Tom Watson worth his salt and take it a whole lot further? Shame on them all for not having the guts to bring these people to justice, while ever they don''t the VIP peodophile ring willl go on and on.

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyB on 19.05.14 12:28

There's an evidence based suggestion in the blog below, which has been on line since February and, as far as I am aware, has not evoked a Carter-Ruckian response. Its certainly still there
http://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2014/02/25/the-laboratory-strikes-again-westminster-adopts-jeremy-hunt-approach-on-paedophile-connections/

AndyB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

North Wales

Post by PeterMac on 19.05.14 12:59

Sky reporting that a man has been charged with historic indecent assaults in the North Wales Children's Home enquiry.
Did we know it was going on, or had we assumed it had been quietly forgotten after the Lord McAlpine fiasco?

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

North Wales

Post by PeterMac on 19.05.14 17:22

Don't know if this merits a new thread, but just for information
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2632859/Man-charged-assaulting-teenage-boy-North-Wales-care-home-1980s-investigation-historic-child-abuse.html
Man is charged with assaulting teenage boy at North Wales care home in the 1980s as part of investigation into historic child abuse
Richard Daffyd Vevar charged with indecent assault against teenage boy
The man, 62, from Wrexham, North Wales, charged with two offences
Offences alleged to have taken place between 1986 and 1989
Part of ongoing investigation, Operation Pallial, into alleged historic child abuse at care and children's homes in North Wales
. .
A 62-year-old man has been charged with indecent assault against a teenage boy as part of an investigation into historic child abuse in North Wales.
Richard Daffyd Vevar, from Wrexham, north Wales, has been charged with two offences of indecent assault against a boy aged between 13 and 16, the National Crime Agency (NCA) said.
The offences are alleged to have taken place between 1986 and 1989.

+1
Richard Daffyd Vevar, 62, from Wrexham, has been bailed to appear at Dolgellau Magistrates' Court after being charged with two counts of indecent assault against a teenage boy
He has been bailed to appear at Dolgellau Magistrates' Court on June 2.
Vevar is the second man to be charged as part of an investigation into historic child abuse in North Wales, known as Operation Pallial.
The investigation, led by Keith Bristow, director general of the NCA, was set up to re-examine allegations that a paedophile ring targeted care and children's homes in the area between 1953 and 1995.
Twenty people have been arrested since the new inquiry was announced by Home Secretary Theresa May in December 2011, following allegations of abuse from children aged between six and 19.
Another man, John Allen, 72, was charged with a string of child sex offences and awaits trial later this year.
Mr Allen faces 39 counts in total, including 29 alleging indecent assault. He denies all charges.
Latest figures show 37 people have been investigated as suspects under Pallial.
A total of 255 people have reported allegations to the NCA, of which information from 212 is under active investigation at this time.
A total of 28 care homes in North Wales currently feature in the investigation.
At the time the investigation was announced, Detective Superintendent Ian Mulcahey, from Merseyside Police, senior investigating officer for the inquiry, said: 'Operation Pallial is investigating new allegations of historic child abuse, some from victims previously known about and some from victims who have come forward for the first time.
'All victims of abuse have a right to expect all allegations of abuse, no matter how much time has passed, to be investigated professionally and appropriately. We will do so.
'Equally importantly, if offenders are still alive, they must be identified, investigated and brought to justice, with those who still have access to children being prioritised.'

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum