The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

Jill Havern
Forum owner

A puzzling response from Jane Tanner....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A puzzling response from Jane Tanner....

Post by Okeydokey on 01.03.14 18:31

@Research_Reader wrote:

@SixMillionQuid wrote:
 '...I was just there with Kate trying to be a support and it was no way appropriate to be saying, you know, 'A man's carried Madeleine off''.

So there we have it folks. Jane Tanner's guide to abduction-scene etiquette. 

Remember, if you are ever in a group of people who are searching for a missing toddler, even if there are large numbers of people searching through the wee dark hours of the night, even if every single lost minute means the toddler is less likely to be found alive, under no circumstances let on that you've seen the person who took the toddler and you know the direction they headed off in. 

It just wouldn't be appropriate.

Well, Research Reader, I don't think it could be said better.

Would anyone with innocent motive allow their friends to go "round and round" searching as JT says, without making sure everyone was aware of the significant sighting from earlier in the evening?  It's just not credible.

As always we have to ask: why didn't Tapas 9 come up with a better version - one where JT told the Tapas 9, Kate and Gerry included, immediately about the sighting and then they all took part in a search in the direction in which the abduction was walking?

One answer suggests itself strongly: that the narrative was cobbled together post 10pm (or post the "abduction alert").  But why?  Was it something to do with the failure of the
jemmied shutters story?  How soon did that begin to fall apart?

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 01.03.14 18:35

@CynicAl wrote:What if Tannerman IS real? But far from being prime suspect number one, what if he was a last minute afterthought, an expediency? What if the group was increasingly turning to panic in the quiet town where a 'prime suspect' had to be plausible at the earliest? Perhaps JT 'suddenly' remembered having seen some guy carrying his kid and she and the group just found it easier to focus on a real but unrelated sighting than rely on their ability to tell a common lie, collectively pointing away from themselves, but with nothing tangible to deflect attention toward? What if the need for Tannerman is simply that he's the only tangible part of the story for the T7 which actually presents an authentic mystery to give the illusion of chasing? Maybe the importance of SY's revelation moment is that literally they eliminated from enquiry the only 'real' thread of the reported T7 story which was not, in itself,corrupted by any contact with the T7? Perhaps the importance is that now all the T7 have to go on is their ability to corroborate an elaborate fiction with continuity and authenticity? Is it possible that the objectively insignificant ruling out of this character was conducted with such fanfare because the police, with listening devices at the ready, might have wanted to hear whether a few phones suddenly started ringing each other to attempt to collaborate a propping up of the crumbling pillars of their seven year old diversion? Just a thought.

Yes, that sounds plausible and answers my question above.  What was motivating the panic? Was someone having a meltdown? Were the GNR asking awkward questions? 

I'm a Bennetite on the SY investigation! - but that's not really relevant to this thread.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Is this correct?

Post by worriedmum on 01.03.14 19:21

Trying to sort this out in my own mind;
Madeleine disappears
Jane Tanner sees someone carrying a child of the right age near the apartment at a time which fits
Jane Tanner doesn't mention it straight away
when Jane Tanner does mention later it no-one does anything with the information except write it down on a page ripped from a child's book
Madeleine's father does not go tearing off to look in the direction the man was travelling, nor does he ask his friends to help look or raise the alarm
One of the Tapas men goes to Jez Wilkins' apartment to tell him Madeleine is missing, but they do not ask if he saw Tannerman and refuse his offer to help search for Madeleine

If they believed Jane, why didn't they search? If they didn't believe her, why did they write it down ?

How did they know which apartment Jez was in? If they took the trouble to find out, why would they bother unless it was to ask for help?

dontgetit

worriedmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 01.03.14 19:45

@worriedmum wrote:Trying to sort this out in my own mind;
Madeleine disappears
Jane Tanner sees someone carrying a child of the right age near the apartment at a time which fits
Jane Tanner doesn't mention it straight away
when Jane Tanner does mention later it no-one does anything with the information except write it down on a page ripped from a child's book
Madeleine's father does not go tearing off to look in the direction the man was travelling, nor does he ask his friends to help look or raise the alarm
One of the Tapas men goes to Jez Wilkins' apartment to tell him Madeleine is missing, but they do not ask if he saw Tannerman and refuse his offer to help search for Madeleine

If they believed Jane, why didn't they search? If they didn't believe her, why did they write it down ?

How did they know which apartment Jez was in? If they took the trouble to find out, why would they bother unless it was to ask for help?

dontgetit

That's about it...although JT did mention it straight away to Fiona Payne after she became aware Madeleine was "missing".  But neither JT nor any of the other Tapas 9 who were told by JT seemed to think it was important or appropriate perhaps to tell Kate and Gerry! Gerry, according, to her account only heard about it when he listened into the PJ interview. Isn't it rather amazing that everyone thought Kate and Gerry should not be told?!

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 01.03.14 20:52

@Research_Reader wrote:

@SixMillionQuid wrote:
 '...I was just there with Kate trying to be a support and it was no way appropriate to be saying, you know, 'A man's carried Madeleine off''.

Remember, if you are ever in a group of people who are searching for a missing toddler, even if there are large numbers of people searching through the wee dark hours of the night, even if every single lost minute means the toddler is less likely to be found alive, under no circumstances let on that you've seen the person who took the toddler and you know the direction they headed off in. 

RR.... you are so right.

Whoever heard that must have done this

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 02.03.14 1:13

Make that two eyebrows Russiandoll! wrote:big grin Make that two eyebrows, Russiandoll!

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 02.03.14 1:28

Fiona Payne's Rogatory Interview concerning what she learned from JT and what she did with the information - nothing.

“Did you speak to Jane during that time or was it after that you spoke to Jane?”

“No, it was during that time and I think after I’d been in the apartment, I think the furthest I went away from the apartment at that point was just to go to the stairwell to check, because I thought nobody had checked, you know, up, going up in the building to see if she’d gone up there, and I’d started to go up the stairs and then Jane had come out and said ‘Oh Rachael’s already checked’ or somebody else was up there.  And, at that point, erm, Jane had sort of rushed out and had said, you know, quietly, sort of almost pulling me away from Kate’s door, erm, ‘I saw a man carrying a child’.  And the horror and realisation I think of what she had seen was quite evident at that point.  And I took it as serious at that point, at what she was implying, that she thought she might have seen Madeleine.  Erm, and I, in the panic, I just said at that point, I said, well the Police hadn’t arrived, I said ‘We’ve just got to tell the Police.  We’ve got to tell the Police what you’ve seen’.  And didn’t’ say anything to Kate or Gerry about what Jane had told me at that point”.

“Did you make a conscious decision not to tell them?”

“It wasn’t a conscious decision, but Kate’s, I was just there with Kate trying to be a support and it was no way appropriate to be saying, you know, ‘A man’s carried Madeleine off’”.

“And did Jane tell you or give you a description of this man?”

“No, not at, no”.

“Exactly what was her words in relation to that?”

“The only time I saw Jane was at that point that night when, and all, as I say, all she said, I can’t remember her exact words, but it, it was, huh, the way she said it was urgent, it was, she was frightened and she said, you know, ‘I saw a man carrying a child and I think it might be Madeleine’”.

“And did she say where she saw him?”

“No, not at that point.  This was all in immediate panic”.

“Yeah”.

“So I was running around, Jane, you know, everyone was running around.  And I, I went back to Kate.  And Jane, as I say, what I said to her at that point was ‘You’ve just got to make sure’, you know, ‘that you give that to the Police when they get here’”.

“Was there just you and Jane at that point?”

“No, Rachael was around, erm, in the stairwell, she’d been up I think looking on the other floors, erm, so she was around.  At that point I don’t recall, I don’t know where Matt and Russell were, I didn’t see them really after, you know, our immediate search, until a lot later”.

“And when Jane told you what she had seen how was her voice and how was her demeanour when she told you?”

“She was shaking.  I mean, we were all very shaken, I think the fact that by that point no-one had seen, you know, found Madeleine.  Erm, tut, you know, as I say, I, huh, I know Jane and I know what she was saying, huh, I can’t remember whether she said it was Madeleine but I know the implication was that what she’d seen, in retrospect, was highly, highly significant and, and in her mind I don’t think really there was any doubt of what she’d seen was Madeleine being taken away.  But I think the, it was almost, tut, everyone was trying to hope that that wasn’t the case, it sounds stupid now, but despite knowing even what Jane had told me, I was still hopeful Madeleine would be picked up, you know, by one of the MARK WARNER staff or, tut, and I think, you know, even for Jane, that was even despite what she’d seen, she was still hoping it wasn’t Madeleine”.

“Okay.  What did you do once she had told you what she saw?”

“I went back to Kate.  I mean, that, that was my main kind of role that night, again, was just, I was the only one really with Kate continuously for that evening and, as I say, at that point she was just in no state to be left alone and that was what I saw as my role really

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 02.03.14 7:56

It is absolutely astonishing that they can say this sort of thing.

Normal human beings would tell the men, and start a hue and cry, running off in the direction indicated lynching anyone in their path.
Not the McCanns and their negligent friends.  They do NOTHING.

It is beyond belief, and serves only to reinforce the view that they ALL KNEW that there had been no abduction.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SixMillionQuid on 02.03.14 8:43

One of the first GNR officers to arrive on the scene is met at the reception by Gerry, Russel and an interpreter. They travel back to apartments and:

After the search of the interior, his colleague went to check the area around the apartments and the Tapas Bar, while the witness remained next the apartment, just outside it. At that moment a female individual, he does not know whether she was a member of the group of friends, who was in the neighbouring apartment, said that she saw an individual carrying a child, running, and that because of the pyjamas she was wearing it could have been Madeleine. It was in these circumstances that abduction began to be talked about. He made a report about this situation and sent it to the police.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/NELSON-DA-COSTA.htm

Having been told about the possible abductor by his wife, Russel says nothing to the GNR officers about what his wife saw. And after all the searching the GNR officers did they then decide to let Jane do all the talking. They were following a script and everyone doing their allocated part.

SixMillionQuid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 02.03.14 19:12

@SixMillionQuid wrote:One of the first GNR officers to arrive on the scene is met at the reception by Gerry, Russel and an interpreter. They travel back to apartments and:

After the search of the interior, his colleague went to check the area around the apartments and the Tapas Bar, while the witness remained next the apartment, just outside it. At that moment a female individual, he does not know whether she was a member of the group of friends, who was in the neighbouring apartment, said that she saw an individual carrying a child, running, and that because of the pyjamas she was wearing it could have been Madeleine. It was in these circumstances that abduction began to be talked about. He made a report about this situation and sent it to the police.

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/NELSON-DA-COSTA.htm

Having been told about the possible abductor by his wife, Russel says nothing to the GNR officers about what his wife saw. And after all the searching the GNR officers did they then decide to let Jane do all the talking. They were following a script and everyone doing their allocated part.

Quite, it's not just JT acting oddly but the others as well.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 02.03.14 19:27

And how did Matt Oldfield remember it all?

4078 "When did you first become aware of what Jane had seen, can you remember?"

Reply "No, erm, I think it might, I don't know whether she came on the same night, because I think it sort of, the realisation hit her that she might have seen something, so I think it probably, it may well have been the same night. I don't know whether it was that night or the next day, but I feel fairly sure it would have triggered her memory, but I can't say for definite".

4078 "How are you doing?"

Reply "Umm, I'm okay, thank you".

4078 "I think it has brought it has brought it home to all of us just, you know, what a mental trauma it has been, for you as a group of friends as well".

Reply "Yeah".

He has no clear recollection of when he heard that Jane had seen the abductor!

Another amazing memory lapse!!

And isn't it amazing how the Police rather than probing him on that rather go into sympathy mode?

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 02.03.14 19:38

Here's Rachael Oldfield mangled syntax on the subject:

01.19.48 1578 'So what time did Jane tell you this''
 Reply 'It must have been about, erm ten past ten or something, quarter past ten I guess'.

1578 'And whereabouts did she tell you''
 Reply 'We were just outside her apartment but there was like a space between the apartments, erm sort of courtyard-y bit'.

1578 'From the car park entrance or the pool side''
 Reply 'Yeah, no the car park entrance'.

1578 'And who was present when she was telling you this''
 Reply 'No just me, just me, cos erm Fi was with Kate and, and Gerry and, well with Kate and Gerry I think and all the boys were sort of, had started to look around and started to, Matt had gone to the Police Station to, no gone to the Ocean Club to phone the Police'.

1578 'What was Janes demeanour when she was telling you this''
 Reply 'Erm she was quite shocked, well we were kind of bit puzzled, cos we thought well you know, could it really have been cos Gerry had just been in, erm but it was a bit of a sort of Jane was like, everybody gob smacked really that you know, she could well have seen Madeleine, erm but we did, you know we, we didn't have this discussion about whether it could have been just because of the sort of time of Gerry going in and him standing outside talking to Jez and you know, it would have been, somebody would have had to you know, sort of be very quick, or have been in the room when Gerry had gone in, we didn't talk about that at that time but, you know afterwards, erm obviously that was, I think we kept, yeah I mean we basically came to the conclusion that somebody would have had to have been in the room when Gerry had gone in to check'.

01.21.46 1578 'Okay'.
 Reply 'So anyway Jane and I you know talked about that and, and then I can't remember whether she told, I think she told Fiona then, erm I mean basically you know as soon as the Police arrived, she told, she told the Police'. 

So - another one who didn't see any point in searching in the direction indicated by the sighting.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j.rob on 02.03.14 19:49

@Research_Reader wrote:

@SixMillionQuid wrote:

Would you want any of these people to be your doctor? It's perfectly appropriate for them to leave their children alone at night without a babysitter out of sight and sound but completely inappropriate to bother to try to locate the whereabouts of a paedophile abductor who has stolen a child from her bed.

Still, as Kate writes on page 84 of her dreadful book: "I have never felt any anger or disappointment whatsoever towards Jane. On the contrary, I was grateful someone had seen something. I'm sure this has been a terrible burden for her to carry around with her every day since and I do feel for her."

Interesting choice of words.....how did Jane Tanner become so implicated in all this, and - more to the point - WHY? 

Given that Jane Tanner thought it 'inappropriate' to mention that she had seen what she thought might be Madeleine's abductor, and that all of them delayed calling the police - not using their own mobiles - it makes their claims about the efficacy of the Portugese police all the more audacious. Collective arrogance beyond comprehension. 

But of course, according to the McCanns and their friends, the Portugese police could never get it right (well, they would say that, wouldn't they, as Christine Keeler might say).

"At 10.35pm the police had still not arrived, so Gerry asked Matt if he would go back down to the twenty-four hour reception and find out what was happening. John Hill, the Mark Warner resort manager, came up to the veranda behind our apartment. I remember screaming at him to do something. 'Where are the police?' I yelled at him."

Isn't it extraordinary that Gerry, according to Kate, had his mobile permanently strapped to his ear after his daughter's alleged abduction but was unable or unwilling to use it when it might actually have been helpful. 

What is the collective noun for a group of narcissists? 

In a way, I can see why the establishment wanted to cover up this ghastly charade - it just paints UK professionals in such a bad light. Beyond embarrassing really.

j.rob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by worriedmum on 02.03.14 21:48

j.rob
''What is the collective noun for a group of narcissists? ''

A mirror of narcissists?

worriedmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 02.03.14 22:01

More collective noun suggestions!

http://all-sorts.org/nouns/narcissists

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 02.03.14 22:11

@worriedmum wrote:j.rob
''What is the collective noun for a group of narcissists? ''

A nine of narcissists?

Back to top Go down

Post by sar on 03.03.14 1:06

@russiandoll wrote:
@Research_Reader wrote:

@SixMillionQuid wrote:

RR.... you are so right.

... a veritable 3 pipe problem!

sar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 03.03.14 2:38

@sar wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:
@Research_Reader wrote:

@SixMillionQuid wrote:

RR.... you are so right.

... a veritable 3 pipe problem!

One pipe to conclude they're not telling the truth...but probably twelve pipes to work out what the hell was going on.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 03.03.14 11:46

WHY didn't Gerry McCann ASK JT, MO and R O'B if they had 'seen anything', when he went to the apartment at 10:00pm?

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 03.03.14 15:13

@jeanmonroe wrote:WHY didn't Gerry McCann ASK JT, MO and R O'B if they had 'seen anything', when he went to the apartment at 10:00pm?

An excellent question and once which I would think a skilled prosecutor would ask Gerry immediately upon getting him into the stand in a trial.

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 04.03.14 0:11

@canada12 wrote:
@jeanmonroe wrote:WHY didn't Gerry McCann ASK JT, MO and R O'B if they had 'seen anything', when he went to the apartment at 10:00pm?

An excellent question and once which I would think a skilled prosecutor would ask Gerry immediately upon getting him into the stand in a trial.

Indeed, an excellent question.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 04.03.14 0:20

And here's David Payne describing how he learned about Jane's sighting...and did nothing about it.  No sense of curiosity about what exactly Jane had seen...seems he preferred to go round in circles searching "like a headless chicken" as he says. And of course, the all important thing to do is to ensure Kate isn't upset...forget about the "abducted" child.

1485    ”Do you recall Jane coming back from her trip? From her visit if you like, shortly after Gerry had come back.”
Reply    ”I don’t know.”
1485    ”And is there anything that sticks in your mind in relation to what anybody’s said when they’d come, apart from the one or two people saying everything’s fine, was there anything else that you can think of that anybody said anything?”
Reply    ”Err I mean there was nothing you know, I mean, I mean when obviously Russell came back and explained what had gone on and you know with, with Evie, err Matt, you know, had come back and you know said everything’s fine. Err Gerry, you know I, as I say, I think he, I heard him mention that he’d spoken to someone on the way back and I’m not sure if people triggered my memory of that I could get that, that’s it. When Jane came back there was certainly nothing that she said that err you know led us to be worried at that particular stage, you know, the conversation was, was again, was you know oh Evie’s okay and it was a sort of shame that they you know, the situation there with Evie. Err and you know the, the jokes that have been going on earlier and err you know just, yeah generally nothing, nothing really stood out…”
1485    ”Yeah.”
Reply    ”Had happened, err there was, you know nothing.”
1485    ”The fact that Jane had come back having seen a male carrying a child.”
Reply    ”Mm.”
1485    ”Could you introduce that within your recollection?”
Reply    ”I can, err it was never mentioned at that table when she came back, err when we went, you know, looking for Madeleine after err Fiona told me that she’d, you know, mentioned this to Fiona and you know so it’s, obviously Fiona’s statement’s probably more important from this point of view exactly what she said about it.”
1485    ”Yeah, yeah.”
Reply    ”But I know from Fiona that this was mentioned and I think it was in the context that she was really worried saying anything to Kate to, to upset her which you know looking from, from people observing out, in at this, they’ll probably think well hang on, you think that someone’s just seen, but you know, again, it was a, a resort where there was a lot of children around err very, it’s a small friendly place and she just thought it was one of the parents who you know was perhaps, you know they’d be staying in one apartment and were transferring their child back to another apartment.”
1485    ”Yeah.”
Reply    ”And really didn’t think twice about it at the time and that’s why it wasn’t mentioned then. But she definitely mentioned it to me you know after Madeleine had been abducted and you know on the, the following day before she’d actually mentioned it to Kate and there was a, a newspaper report, I think it was in the Telegraph err certainly one of the newspapers anyway, that was sort of describing err Madeleine’s pyjamas and, and err Jane said that’s not right, how did they get that, well she said you know, that in, I don’t know how they get that information anyway, my recollections were this was what she was wearing and described it you know differently you know to what the, the, the press had, and that was before she’d even seen Kate so you know, the strength of that argument is just absolutely overwhelming, you know given the time frame err you know of when Madeleine must have gone, gone, that you know and for her to have described in detail the pull ups at the bottom of the pyjamas err you know the colours, you know and the timing is just, you know well, so.”

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum