The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Mm11

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Regist10
The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Welcome to 'The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann' forum 🌹

Please log in, or register to view all the forums as some of them are 'members only', then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When you register please do NOT use your email address for a username because everyone will be able to see it!

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Mm11

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Regist10

Libel Trial 25 Feb

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Empty Re: Libel Trial 25 Feb

Post by Lance De Boils 23.02.14 20:25

About the author:

Brian McNair is an academic researcher and commentator on media, culture and communication issues. He writes on a wide range of topics including journalism, political communication, popular culture and mediated sexuality. His most recent books are Journalists In Film (Edinburgh University Press, 2010) and An Introduction To Political Communication (Routledge, 2011)

Experience

• Professor of Journalism, Media & Communication, Queensland University of Technology –present

Education

• University of Glasgow, Ph.D Sociology, 1987

Research Areas

• Communication And Media Studies Not Elsewhere Classified (200199)
  • Journalism And Professional Writing (1903)
  • Cultural Studies Not Elsewhere Classified (200299)

http://theconversation.com/profiles/brian-mcnair-193/profile_bio
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin 23.02.14 20:31

candyfloss wrote:
Dee Coy wrote:There are more than 2 storeys in the block, though, so when stating the apartment above 5a, he could be referring to the flat above Mrs Fenn's, or even the one above that. Or perhaps Mrs Fenn is the the friend of the parents?

Seems a strange claim to make if false as most familiar with the case would immediately spot the discrepancy, thus undermining his entire - very good - article very easily.

I suppose it is remotely possible that Mrs Fenn moved out for certain periods of the year and let her apartment out which as we know was in a prime location.  Many people do that, they either go and visit relatives or stay with friends, it makes a good income.   Not saying she did this of course.

He says 'A friend (not a couple) of my parents owned the apartment, and my extended family rented it and two other units in the complex for two weeks in July'

It's quite possible Candyfloss. Mrs Fenn may have returned to the UK to see family & friends and rented out her apartment to trusted friends while she was away (that's not unusual at all)
tasprin

Activity : 896

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance De Boils 23.02.14 20:45

One of the author's recent books:

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 9780415572910

Routledge – 2013

http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415572910/
Lance De Boils
Lance De Boils

Activity : 1053

Back to top Go down

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Empty libel trial

Post by travis macbickle 23.02.14 23:38

gerald patrick mccann will go down in history as THE most infamous graduate of glasgow university.
travis macbickle

Activity : 51

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer 24.02.14 0:21

Lance De Boils wrote:One of the author's recent books:

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 9780415572910

Routledge – 2013

http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415572910/

He claims in this book that the sexualisation of society can only be a good thing as it parallels the success of a country.  Oh, right  laughat .
Woofer
Woofer

Activity : 3508

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 24.02.14 0:59

Copied from mccannfiles.com:

Brief note
[color:9c0e=000000]
By Nigel Moore
23 February 2014

In the article below, The mediatisation of Madeleine McCann, Brian McNair states that the libel trial is due to conclude this Tuesday, 25 February 2014. Given there has been no public announcement of this, I presume Mr McNair has taken this information from the rumours which were circulating on social media last week.

The information I have is that there will be no hearing on Tuesday and that a date for closing arguments has yet to be set.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Activity : 3376

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger 24.02.14 7:18

Lance De Boils wrote:About the author:

Brian McNair is an academic researcher and commentator on media, culture and communication issues. He writes on a wide range of topics including journalism, political communication, popular culture and mediated sexuality. His most recent books are Journalists In Film (Edinburgh University Press, 2010) and An Introduction To Political Communication (Routledge, 2011)

Experience

• Professor of Journalism, Media & Communication, Queensland University of Technology –present

Education

• University of Glasgow, Ph.D Sociology, 1987

Research Areas

• Communication And Media Studies Not Elsewhere Classified (200199)
  • Journalism And Professional Writing (1903)
  • Cultural Studies Not Elsewhere Classified (200299)

http://theconversation.com/profiles/brian-mcnair-193/profile_bio

I'm having a bit of trouble with the word 'mediatisation'. Any linguists here who feel that the 'ti'. Is of no use?

Turning a noun into a verb such as 'antiqueing' is often an unpleasant sight.

If this author suffers from New Labour Speak, all is explained. Mediasation, however must imo be closer to the correct transformation from noun to verb.

Activity : 8532

http://fytton.blogspot.nl/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett 24.02.14 8:03

tigger wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble with the word 'mediatisation'.  Any linguists here who feel that the 'ti'. Is of no use?

Turning a noun into a verb such as 'antiqueing'  is often an unpleasant sight.

If this author suffers from New Labour Speak, all is explained. Mediasation, however  must imo be closer to the correct transformation from noun to verb.
It's the same with, e.g. 'going metric'. The word is 'metrication', but some add the 'fi' to make it 'metrification'. It just sounds better to some people.

Going electric is another one. It could be 'electrication', but our word is 'electrification'.

As you know, our words and pronunciation often have no rhyme or reason to them.

But we do also have the word 'electrify'.

As in: 'The discovery of the fact that three known burglars had been using their mobile phones in Praia da Luz on the night of 3 May electrified Scotland Yard's hitherto sluggish and slow-moving £7million re-investigation'.

Dr Martin Roberts: "The evidence is that these are the pjyamas Madeleine wore on holiday in Praia da Luz. They were photographed and the photo handed to a press agency, who released it on 8 May, as the search for Madeleine continued. The McCanns held up these same pyjamas at two press conferences on 5 & 7June 2007. How could Madeleine have been abducted?"

Amelie McCann (aged 2): "Maddie's jammies!".  

Tony Bennett
Tony Bennett
Researcher

Activity : 24770

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 24.02.14 8:28

Tony Bennett wrote:
tigger wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble with the word 'mediatisation'.  Any linguists here who feel that the 'ti'. Is of no use?

Turning a noun into a verb such as 'antiqueing'  is often an unpleasant sight.

If this author suffers from New Labour Speak, all is explained. Mediasation, however  must imo be closer to the correct transformation from noun to verb.
It's the same with, e.g. 'going metric'. The word is 'metrication', but some add the 'fi' to make it 'metrification'. It just sounds better to some people.

Going electric is another one. It could be 'electrication', but our word is 'electrification'.

As you know, our words and pronunciation often have no rhyme or reason to them.

But we do also have the word 'electrify'.

As in: 'The discovery of the fact that three known burglars had been using their mobile phones in Praia da Luz on the night of 3 May electrified Scotland Yard's hitherto sluggish and slow-moving £7million re-investigation'.
 titter   Sometimes you are a real card Tony.     smilie
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24.02.14 8:34

tasprin wrote:
candyfloss wrote:
Dee Coy wrote:There are more than 2 storeys in the block, though, so when stating the apartment above 5a, he could be referring to the flat above Mrs Fenn's, or even the one above that. Or perhaps Mrs Fenn is the the friend of the parents?

Seems a strange claim to make if false as most familiar with the case would immediately spot the discrepancy, thus undermining his entire - very good - article very easily.

I suppose it is remotely possible that Mrs Fenn moved out for certain periods of the year and let her apartment out which as we know was in a prime location.  Many people do that, they either go and visit relatives or stay with friends, it makes a good income.   Not saying she did this of course.

He says 'A friend (not a couple) of my parents owned the apartment, and my extended family rented it and two other units in the complex for two weeks in July'

It's quite possible Candyfloss. Mrs Fenn may have returned to the UK to see family & friends and rented out her apartment to trusted friends while she was away (that's not unusual at all)

When reading his piece I assumed that the flat in question had been rented directly from Mrs Fenn, as that property fits the description. Many (in fact I'd go as far as to say the majority) of those with properties in holiday resorts let or loan them out from time to time, so why is it so incredible to suggest that Mrs Fenn might have done so? Even if she lived there permanently at the time Madeleine disappeared, it doesn't mean that she had done so since the day she bought it.
The writer's story is not dependent on his having stayed directly above the McCann's flat - it would have been just as relevant had he said that he stayed in the very same block, or in an apartment directly across the street, or even just in Praia da Luz, so why lie? I don't think he did.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by sami 24.02.14 9:21

Extracts from statement given by Mrs Fenns niece below.  She gives the impression Mrs Fenn lived there full time.

CT'When my uncle died, they had a villa close to Lagos, but when he died of Alzheimer's, she sold it to buy the site in Luz. She bought it because it was surrounded by people and it was easy for her to come and go as she did not want a big site. She bought it in 2003'since 2003 and it is the second or third floor, I am never certain, but I believe that there is one more apartment 

DC1485'Who else lives there' 

CT' Actually, she is the only resident, which may seem strange but she wants to be there. So she is the only resident. All the other owners, the majority of them, more or less, are people who acquired the apartments and rent them or else use them only for holidays. For this reason, there are times in the year when she is alone. 

DC1485'And who else lives with her' 

CT' She is completely alone. 

DC1485'Alone. 

CT' No one else. 

DC1485'So, in addition to your visit...'

CT' When we visit or stay in the apartment with her, we do not take advantage of her because she is an older woman; she is eighty-something and as you know, it is not big enough for us to stay there with her. 

http://www.mccannpjfiles.co.uk/PJ/CAROL_TRANMER.htm
sami

Activity : 1019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24.02.14 9:29

sami wrote:Extracts from statement given by Mrs Fenns niece below.

She bought it because it was surrounded by people

From the sound of everyday life in Praia da Luz, "besieged" might have been a better choice of word. I'm surprised she didn't keep a few animal carcasses handy and a pan of oil on the hob, just in case.....

Maybe that was why 5J had rotten meat - to drop on anybody trying to scale the battlements walls.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac 24.02.14 10:26

The Maddification of the Media ?
PeterMac
PeterMac
Investigator

Activity : 16587

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D 24.02.14 12:25

Apologies if its been posted somewhere else, but I went into UK Justice site earlier today and Anne Guedes commented last night that the trial was still suspended due to the WOC position not yet having been clarified. Went back to cut & paste but can't now find it. It was a new thread, not titled up as libel trial, so maybe it's been moved to a members area or something.
She seems to be as close to the 'horses mouth' as it gets.
Anybody on e-mail terms with her? She seems to be on a run with posts on there.
Doug D

Activity : 5283

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 24.02.14 13:53

sorry, don't know how it happened, double post.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by lj 24.02.14 13:54

PeterMac wrote:The Maddification of the Media ?

Never before in the history of the volatile relationship between crime, media and public had so many people had such easy access to so much primary official data relating to an unsolved, still active case.

Interesting enough he talks about how easy the access is to all official data, but he forget to mention how very few did access it, including Levenson, the CR Isabel, Pedro Silva and most of the believers.

Maddification maybe equals, dummyfication (sorry Maddie, not through your fault)?

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

lj
lj

Activity : 3590

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 24.02.14 14:03

Doug D wrote:Apologies if its been posted somewhere else, but I went into UK Justice site earlier today and Anne Guedes commented last night that the trial was still suspended due to the WOC position not yet having been clarified. Went back to cut & paste but can't now find it. It was a new thread, not titled up as libel trial, so maybe it's been moved to a members area or something.
She seems to be as close to the 'horses mouth' as it gets.
Anybody on e-mail terms with her? She seems to be on a run with posts on there.
I'd rather Anne Guedes's word that the trial remains suspended than that of assorted 'twitterers'.  smilie  I posted this (below) earlier and, from what we've both seen on other sites, it appears no date has been set for the trial to reume.   

ultimaThule Today at 12:59 am
Copied from mccannfiles.com:

Brief note
[color:9c0e=000000]
By Nigel Moore
23 February 2014

In the article below, The mediatisation of Madeleine McCann, Brian McNair states that the libel trial is due to conclude this Tuesday, 25 February 2014. Given there has been no public announcement of this, I presume Mr McNair has taken this information from the rumours which were circulating on social media last week.

The information I have is that there will be no hearing on Tuesday and that a date for closing arguments has yet to be set.
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate 24.02.14 15:38

As soon as there is news Joana M will post.   Never let us down yet.
plebgate

Activity : 8938

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 24.02.14 15:56

Maybe Goncalo Amaral wishes he had never questioned the WOC issue big grin.
I think any delay will suit the McCanns more than any of the defendants.
Let's hope that our courts, or whoever, is not placing the request on the bottom of a pile marked "non urgent".
Casey5

Activity : 402

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule 24.02.14 16:21

Casey5 wrote:Maybe Goncalo Amaral wishes he had never questioned the WOC issue big grin.
Let's hope that our courts, or whoever, is not placing the request on the bottom of a pile marked "non urgent".
Why would Dr Amaral have reason to wish the WOC issue had not been put before the judge when it was submitted either at his institgation or on advice from his counsel?  And why, when closing arguments are yet to be heard, do you think this delay will suit the plaintiffs more than the defendants?

I'm confused by your reference to 'our courts'.  Do you mean the courts of England/Wales and are you referring to a request from Lisbon for confirmation from 'our courts' as to the fact that, as Madeleine McCann was made a Ward of Court in 2008, her parents no longer hold parental responsibility for her?
ultimaThule
ultimaThule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 24.02.14 16:23

Casey5 wrote:Maybe Goncalo Amaral wishes he had never questioned the WOC issue big grin.
@Casey5 
IIrc The McCanns lawyer I Duarte asked for an adjournment on handing in papers concerning Alan Pike.
Amaral whilst raising the WOC issue, did not request any postponement.

kindest regards
parapono
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by gbwales 24.02.14 16:36

parapono wrote:
@Casey5 
IIrc The McCanns lawyer I Duarte asked for an adjournment on handing in papers concerning Alan Pike.

kindest regards
parapono

Yes parapono - I believe you are correct in that.

Mr Universe to Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
gbwales
gbwales

Activity : 303

Back to top Go down

Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Empty Libel trial

Post by scrants 25.02.14 2:04

According to Twitter Libel Trial next week if all goes well
scrants

Activity : 116

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny 25.02.14 8:18

1. View

[*]

1. Libel Trial 25 Feb - Page 3 Scales_of_Justice_biggerUK Justice Forum @Justice_forum 7 hrs
    #McCann vs Gonçalo Amaral & Others libel trial to resume in Lisbon next week. Judge in meantime bombarded with questions from both parties.
               Details Expand Collapse
tiny
tiny

Activity : 2311

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 25.02.14 19:05

parapono wrote:
@Casey5 

kindest regards
parapono
Yes, thanks parapona. I am aware that Mr Amaral didn't request the adjournment but he did bring up the issue leading to it i.e the WOC so I was just wondering if he regretted mentioning it. big grin
Casey5

Activity : 402

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top