The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Third letter of request sent by SY to Portugal - Tempo of Madeleine inquiry moving forward

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Third letter of request sent by SY to Portugal - Tempo of Madeleine inquiry moving forward

Post by sallypelt on 13.02.14 19:54

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@jeanmonroe wrote:
Justin Davenport, Crime Editor
Published: 13 February 2014

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have issued a new request for help to the Portuguese authorities.

The development came as a senior Scotland Yard officer said the “tempo” of the inquiry into the missing toddler was “moving forward.”
Are we expected to get excited about this?

They have sent a 'letter of request' to someone.

Well, I did a letter of request the other day. I do quite a few of those every year to all sorts of people.

We wait several weeks, and then there is breaking news:

"We've sent a letter of request".

"We've sent a second letter of request"

And now:

"We've sent a third letter of request".

If this investigation really is 'moving forward rapidly' etc., do we actually need to be told this?

And what's happened to the other two 'letters of request', anyway?

Do we know?

This third letter of request might even be a repeat of a previous one.

"Please may we have a reply to our letter of request sent x weeks ago".

That would qualify as a 'new letter of request'!

Some got hopeful and even excited when it was leaked that senior CPS lawyer Alison Saunders - who blundered badly in the Hlilsborough disaster and is our new Director of Public Prosections - was reported as having gone over to Portugal with another senior colleague, apparently to discuss the Madeleine McCann case.

That was over a year ago.

Nothing has happened.

In the past few months, we've had the CrimeWatch McCann show, which it would be very hard to rate as a genuine new appeal for information. Co-ordinated closely for over six months, at a cost of £1 million-plus for the BBC, it seemed to be all about public perception, once again.

And both the timing of that programme, and the subsequent follow-up, seemed suspiciously linked to the progress of the McCann-Amaral libel trial in Lisbon - not far off - like a London show - from entering its sixth year of production.

Then we have had a veritable succession of mostly absurd tabloid stories about the unlikeliest of suspects - dozens of them all told.

Each one of these stories could only be one of these two things.

Either (a) deliberate, authorised leaks by Scotland Yard, or

(b) outright fabrications (whether by sources unknown, or the press themselves).  

(I think the former, by the way).

I'm not in the least impressed with anyone in the Met, whether he's a Deputy Assistant Vice-Commissioner, or whatever he is, taking up valuable newspaper space to tell us he's sent a bit of paper to Portugal

You've said exactly what I feel, Tony, and have felt for some time. There's nothing new coming out, at least nothing credible. Where I do have a bit of hope is with the lack of credible information. This tells me that SY and the Portuguese police are getting on with it, behind the scenes, and letting the rumours and the insults fly wild in the public domain.

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Third letter of request sent by SY to Portugal - Tempo of Madeleine inquiry moving forward

Post by Tony Bennett on 13.02.14 20:04

@sallypelt wrote:
You've said exactly what I feel, Tony, and have felt for some time. There's nothing new coming out, at least nothing credible. Where I do have a bit of hope is with the lack of credible information. This tells me that SY and the Portuguese police are getting on with it, behind the scenes, and letting the rumours and the insults fly wild in the public domain.
sallypelt, you are clearly blessed with a more generous heart and spirit than there is in my poor curmudgeonly soul.

They have had very nearly three years and over seven million quid so far

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 13.02.14 20:09

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:
sallypelt, you are clearly blessed with a more generous heart and spirit than there is in my poor curmudgeonly soul.

They have had very nearly three years and over seven million quid so far

Tony, I am a bit of a Pandora  spin Also, the saying "Expect the worst but hope for the best" keeps me in there. In the meantime, sPAMmy witcatty aka TrulyJuly73, and all her other socks, keep me amused, while we wait for that that vital piece of information that will blow this case wide open. It'll come!

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterion on 13.02.14 20:13

Have we ever heard of requests from PJ to SY?

mysterion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 13.02.14 20:13

Redwood drew all back to zero
Making dozens of trips down to Faro
But now there's a change
In the tempo of 'Grange'
And Martin Hewitt's become our new hero

"Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 13.02.14 20:16

@sallypelt wrote:
...while we wait for that that vital piece of information that will blow this case wide open. It'll come!  
The key that will unlock the mystery, you mean?

I hear it may have been lost.

Or.

Stolen.

One of the two, anyway.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 13.02.14 20:24

Have been watching all these stories trotted out by the press for a while now - and now this.....To quote a well worn phrase - "I'm not buying (any of) it"! 

I agree with Tony. As any Police Dept who genuinely wanted to solve this crime would have put a stop to all these crazy unbelievable headlines hitting the papers - but SY - they don't even pass a comment on them. To say that this latest quote dismisses these stories is not good enough. I believe (only my opinion) that they must be happy enough to let these stories drip out, but not because of any investigation behind the scenes. I mean, how would that help - letting untrue stories about burglars etc hit the press so that the public can phone in on on these? That would be misleading the public at the public's cost, surely....? At best are they genuinely wasting public money on a crime they are too embarrassed to admit they'll never solve, or at worst - well...... 

As I said before, if they genuinely wanted to track down the true abductor (????) why put out a crime watch programme asking for the public's help - then watch these ridiculous headlines drip, drip out. On other serious cases the police have asked the press not to speculate, so as not to cause confusion. But on this case all they seem to be encouraging, along with their Crime Watch special, is absolute confusion. All confusion is good must be their new motto.

Just looking forward to Amarals Civil Trial - just hoping all is okay with him.

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 13.02.14 20:25

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:
...while we wait for that that vital piece of information that will blow this case wide open. It'll come!  

Or.

Stolen.

One of the two, anyway.

LOVE the word "may" in there, Tony. See? There's still hope left in that box  Mrs 

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 13.02.14 20:37

@marconi wrote:
@marconi wrote:tempo moving fowards : does it mean that it is going faster?
who can answer me this question, please?

Just like you always answer questions?

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 13.02.14 20:37

I think the primary purpose of the latest story is to tell us this:

Mr Hewitt said so far the Yard had not asked the Portugese authorities to interview or arrest any suspects.

Which basically identifies stories in all of the newspapers reporting imminent arrests (and their "source") as utter nonsense.

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterion on 13.02.14 20:37

Tempo moving forward is a positive statement. Bit difficult to explain a big fat zero at the end of it all. Mind you, AR said he was going back to zero to start the investigation.

mysterion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Watching on 13.02.14 20:44

@mysterion wrote:Tempo moving forward is a positive statement. Bit difficult to explain a big fat zero at the end of it all. Mind you, AR said he was going back to zero to start the investigation.
Positive in that it may imply the end might be within sight - but the conclusion - perhaps not so positive, if the real culprits those who harmed Madeleine escape punishment.

Watching

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 13.02.14 20:48

'I think the primary purpose of the latest story is to tell us this:

Mr Hewitt said so far the Yard had not asked the Portugese authorities to interview or arrest any suspects.

Which basically identifies stories in all of the newspapers reporting imminent arrests (and their "source") as utter nonsense.'

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. How long has it taken them to come out with this line? How many nonsense headlines/articles have we been exposed to? I don't know how big and widely read this article is in comparison with the red top headlines/sky news stories etc, and even if it is going to be covered in other papers - why couldn't the police have updated their thoughts on this with a less cryptic statement. Just come out and say what is or isn't true - so that the public - who is paying for all of this can have some faith that the investigation is being properly lead.

And I wonder how long we'll have to wait for another crazy headline. I don't think they're going stop any day soon...Not with the trial still on the, hopefully, near horizon.

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 13.02.14 20:55

@mouse wrote:'I think the primary purpose of the latest story is to tell us this:

Which basically identifies stories in all of the newspapers reporting imminent arrests (and their "source") as utter nonsense.'

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. How long has it taken them to come out with this line? How many nonsense headlines/articles have we been exposed to? I don't know how big and widely read this article is in comparison with the red top headlines/sky news stories etc, and even if it is going to be covered in other papers - why couldn't the police have updated their thoughts on this with a less cryptic statement. Just come out and say what is or isn't true - so that the public - who is paying for all of this can have some faith that the investigation is being properly lead.

And I wonder how long we'll have to wait for another crazy headline. I don't think they're going stop any day soon...Not with the trial still on the, hopefully, near horizon.

Perhaps it wasn't for the benefit of the general public.

Perhaps it was a shot across the bow of "the source" and the people he answers to.

And it does give us a definitive response to all of the speculation, and to those on here who have been insisting that SY is hot on the heels of burglars, ex-employees and gypsies.

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Watching on 13.02.14 20:57

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:

Or.

Stolen.

One of the two, anyway.
LOL

The PJ Files are the key, they hold all the vital information needed - we wait not for vital information, we wait to see if the Met or the PJ are prepared to put the key in the lock and turn it.

Watching

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Watching on 13.02.14 21:05

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@jeanmonroe wrote:
Justin Davenport, Crime Editor
Published: 13 February 2014

Detectives investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann have issued a new request for help to the Portuguese authorities.

The development came as a senior Scotland Yard officer said the “tempo” of the inquiry into the missing toddler was “moving forward.”
Are we expected to get excited about this?

They have sent a 'letter of request' to someone.

Well, I did a letter of request the other day. I do quite a few of those every year to all sorts of people.

We wait several weeks, and then there is breaking news:

"We've sent a letter of request".

"We've sent a second letter of request"

And now:

"We've sent a third letter of request".

If this investigation really is 'moving forward rapidly' etc., do we actually need to be told this?

And what's happened to the other two 'letters of request', anyway?

Do we know?

This third letter of request might even be a repeat of a previous one.

"Please may we have a reply to our letter of request sent x weeks ago".

That would qualify as a 'new letter of request'!

Some got hopeful and even excited when it was leaked that senior CPS lawyer Alison Saunders - who blundered badly in the Hlilsborough disaster and is our new Director of Public Prosections - was reported as having gone over to Portugal with another senior colleague, apparently to discuss the Madeleine McCann case.

That was over a year ago.

Nothing has happened.

In the past few months, we've had the CrimeWatch McCann show, which it would be very hard to rate as a genuine new appeal for information. Co-ordinated closely for over six months, at a cost of £1 million-plus for the BBC, it seemed to be all about public perception, once again.

And both the timing of that programme, and the subsequent follow-up, seemed suspiciously linked to the progress of the McCann-Amaral libel trial in Lisbon - not far off - like a London show - from entering its sixth year of production.

Then we have had a veritable succession of mostly absurd tabloid stories about the unlikeliest of suspects - dozens of them all told.

Each one of these stories could only be one of these two things.

Either (a) deliberate, authorised leaks by Scotland Yard, or

(b) outright fabrications (whether by sources unknown, or the press themselves).  

(I think the former, by the way).

I'm not in the least impressed with anyone in the Met, whether he's a Deputy Assistant Vice-Commissioner, or whatever he is, taking up valuable newspaper space to tell us he's sent a bit of paper to Portugal
'ARE WE TO GET EXCITED ABOUT THIS?'

It would seem so, though why, I agree,  is a puzzle.  The Met have not requested that anyone be arrested, and the persons they speak of are 'suspected burglars' - not persons suspected of abducting Madeleine - not according to the wording  of this report.   As you say a letter of request could have been for any one of a number of reasons - perhaps the Met enjoyed the sardines last week and were requesting a repeat for lunch on their next visit.

Watching

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.02.14 21:27

So much polite discussion on this thread about what 'tempo moving forward' actually means. Surely the truth is it's just an illiterate mixed metaphor? Hewitt probably started off intending to say something along the lines of: the investigation is increasing in tempo (ie going a bit faster), but then lost confidence in that cliche and went for "moving forward" – a ubiquitous yet meaningless bit of bureauspeak. The result? The message seems to be that the investigation is carrying on (moving forward) – possibly a little faster than before, but we can't be sure as they haven't qualified the word "tempo".
That said, it's nice to read a report in a British newspaper that is reasonably balanced, unsullied by sightings of gypsies, paedophiles and dodgy cleaners, and featuring direct quotes from named investigators, rather than rumours from unnamed McCann acolytes. Hooray for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by whatliesbehindthesofa on 13.02.14 21:34

Has the Mirror got the message?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-missing-british-police-3142582

No mention of burglars, ocean club workers, or dead tractor drivers.  They use the 'disappearance' word, not the 'abduction' word, and there's no speculation in the article at all.

Perhaps their favourite source wasn't available for comment.

whatliesbehindthesofa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whatliesbehindthesofa on 13.02.14 21:52

@mouse wrote:

And I'm sorry, but I disagree with this too.  It takes a few days, but these reports spread to media outlets all across the world each time, and as you can see, the Mirror has already decided to just report the facts.  Even to the point of the Standard mentioning burglars, but the Mirror not mentioning them.

It certainly seems to have had an effect on the Mirror - although, the effect may be temporary, we'll have to wait and see.  Their message is not at all cryptic to the press, and I'm guessing that this is who the message was directed at.

whatliesbehindthesofa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 13.02.14 22:07

@whatliesbehindthesofa wrote:
@mouse wrote:

And I'm sorry, but I disagree with this too.  It takes a few days, but these reports spread to media outlets all across the world each time, and as you can see, the Mirror has already decided to just report the facts.  Even to the point of the Standard mentioning burglars, but the Mirror not mentioning them.

It certainly seems to have had an effect on the Mirror - although, the effect may be temporary, we'll have to wait and see.  Their message is not at all cryptic to the press, and I'm guessing that this is who the message was directed at.
I take your point, but having followed this case since day 1 - and having read so many of these articles where various forums have gone into overdrive - saying there's something definitely going to happen etc, etc - you have to admit that on the law of averages - we are probably still nowhere nearer than we were yesterday. And as for informing the press - the message being for them. Don't you think it would also be helpful to the public to let them know not to look out for burglars, tractor men, gypsies etc...So the helpful public don't waste police time calling up about wild goose chases. And after all, what was the crimewatch programme all about, other than to involve the public's help. It certainly wasn't for the press.

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.02.14 22:08

Dee Coy wrote:
@marconi wrote:
@marconi wrote:tempo moving fowards : does it mean that it is going faster?
who can answer me this question, please?
In physics, an object travels at a constant speed (velocity) unless it is acted on by a force. The rate of acceleration is determined by how hard that shove is and how quickly the velocity therefore increases in relation to time.

The equation for this is:

Acceleration =Velocity/Time.

I.e., The rate of acceleration increases as the speed (velocity) increases relative to the time taken. So for the speed to increase the object must undergo a bloody big shove and will pass the 'finish line' in a shorter amount of time.

"Increasing the tempo" or, put another way, the rate of "tempo moving forward" means acceleration is happening. With luck, things are moving faster and a conclusion will be reached more quickly. Quite unequivocal!  At least, that's my interpretation of his words. big grin
 airkiss

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 13.02.14 22:08

Popcorn wrote:So much polite discussion on this thread about what 'tempo moving forward' actually means. Surely the truth is it's just an illiterate mixed metaphor?
Again, like sallypelt, you are, IMO, too generous.

It is utter drivel.

Just like: "We have drawn everything back to zero".

The daft comment by Redwood after one year of his investigation that "We have evidence that Madeleine may be alive, or sadly dead" (or similar) was equally abject and meaningless. It could be said by every police investigator in every missing person case across the world.  

Mind you, the 'revelation moment' bit was sheer cunning. It wasn't a revelation moment about finding Madeleine. It wasn't a revelation moment about catching those responsible for Madeleine's disappearance.

It was a 'revelalion moment', all right - about how his team of detectives could get rid of the obvious and embarrassing 'Jane Tanner problem'.

But now, to Redwood's embarrassment, the McCann Team, 4 months on from the McCann Crimewatch Show, are calling him incompetent.

The McCanns' Find Madeleine website is still saying: "Redwood may have blundered. There could be a Tannerman out there as well as a Crecheman. Please remember if you saw a bloke with a dark jacket, mustard chinos and pointy black shoes 7 years ago in Praia da Luz. Pick up the 'phone - and bring Madeleine home".

I honestly believe the Operation Grange detectives are having a laugh at our and the public's expense and doing 'high fives' with each other every time another of their absurd leaks makes the front page of the tabloids.

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13.02.14 22:09

No comment!! Tomorrows Express front page......

Back to top Go down

Post by whatliesbehindthesofa on 13.02.14 22:14

Bah, someone has definitely NOT got the message Sad

whatliesbehindthesofa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum