The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by Guest on 11.02.14 22:43

What a sad, tragic story.............



Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by whmon on 11.02.14 22:51

A terrible, terrible tragedy that could so easily have been avoided by responsible dog ownership. Now I'm waiting for the inevitable 'cull all bull breeds' response from the dog haters and certain 'holier than though' owners of non bull breeds. No dog - not any, should have access to a lone baby.

____________________
This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

Posts : 434
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-04-04
Location : Back of Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by Guest on 12.02.14 11:25

NEVER leave children alone with a dog, not even a mini poodle. And teach them as soon as you can NOT TO STARE at a dog.That's what children do, because they're curious. But in "dog-language" they are CHALLENGING the dog. Hence so many "accidents" with children.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by russiandoll on 19.02.14 16:11

If it is true as reported that the father brought this dog home as a rescue, but not from a rescue centre, then I hope, distressed as he and his partner are over this loss of a beloved newborn, that they are arrested.

 A rescue centre does a home check and asks about family circumstances before allowing a dog to be rehomed. I know a local one will not place large lively dogs such as lurchers in any home where there is an under-5.

 If this man brought a dog home from a pub [ as neighbours told media] then that is truly reckless and negligent.

 There is no way I can see any rescue centre allowing a dog this size in a home with a newborn.

 Nothing the parents say can excuse them from their actions in allowing this dog access to a baby. Even if Dad says he had the dog on a lead if/ when it went berserk, it is no excuse. You never get a dog which is stronger than you are.

 I wonder what research was done before allowing this huge, probably affectionate but strong animal, as are most malamutes, into the house?

 Let the dog smell baby clothes/blankets is the advice, to allow it to get accustomed to the smell well before they meet.
 Take away any squeaky dog toys, do not buy any. Babies make squeaky noises, they do not sound like adults or older children.

 Do not allow a dog onto furniture where you might sit with the baby, he might think this is his territory.

 Going out of a room where baby is?  Even if only for a minute, take baby with you or if leaving unattended, take dog out of the room or put him outside.
 Never ever leave a baby and a dog, regardless of size and temperament , alone, not even for a minute.

 The child did not ask to be born and I refuse to believe that adult stupidity when they should have taken care of her, was not behind this death.

 That is if she was in fact savaged by the dog, it has yet to be given as the cause of death.

 Sad beyond words. An entire life and future gone and it was preventable.

____________________



             The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy


russiandoll

Posts : 3942
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by russiandoll on 19.02.14 16:35

The dog is believed to belong to Ms John's boyfriend, Patric Mullane, who bought it from someone who had said they wanted to get rid of it.

 You are pregnant and your man brings home a dog from the pub, fearing it will be put down its owner and so has rescued it.

 You do not say no way, even if it is not due for the needle in the paw because it is dangerous, we have a dog/ dogs already. No way am I bringing a new baby home to a house where a dog that size has established itself. I would only consider it if you were to take weeks training it to know it was the lowest in the pecking order in our home, and even then.....probably would tell you to forget it.  ???

 Reports by a neighbour that this woman came to use her toilet [ ??!!] and then told her the dog had eaten the baby's head......grotesque. Surely these were not the words of the mother, but of the neighbour who had been told of the dog seizing the baby by the head [ more likely the neck]. I find it incredible that you would use a toilet then tell a person about a dog attack on your baby. Maybe scream and then go to be sick in a bathroom... but more likely you would throw up in the street.

 A vet will have told the police what to look for when this dog was seized. If it had attacked a baby it would be in a state of extreme excitement, very difficult to control and get hold of.


 there is something very bizarre and disturbing about this horrific story, I am sure it will all come out in time.

 At least one of the parents needs arresting... you find your almost dead baby next to the dog....where the hell have you been?

____________________



             The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy


russiandoll

Posts : 3942
Reputation : 7
Join date : 2011-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by littlepixie on 21.02.14 22:46

Not all Rescues are what they seem. There is a highly popular well loved "rescue" near to me set in acres of land with a beautiful farmhouse which the owners live in.
It has a string of "charity" shops busily selling mostly new and a few donated goods to keep the owners in luxury and to feed the dogs . Enjoying all the financial privileges having a charitable status brings.
The dogs are then "sold" for over a hundred pounds with puppies fetching a far higher price.
(It is SELLING, not donating as the prices are fixed unless they think an animal/puppy is worth more) if you want speying or vaccinations you pay for it yourself.

This "rescue" sold a bitch similar to the one in the o/p to a family where it almost ripped the child's face off in an incident which made the papers.
They got it back and then sold it AGAIN to a family with small children.
They sent their heavies into my business to threaten me when I expressed how horrified I was at their irresponsibility.

littlepixie

Posts : 1340
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2009-11-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by whmon on 21.02.14 23:27

@littlepixie wrote:Not all Rescues are what they seem. There is a highly popular well loved "rescue" near to me set in acres of land with a beautiful farmhouse which the owners live in.
It has a string of "charity" shops busily selling mostly new and a few donated goods to keep the owners in luxury and to feed the dogs . Enjoying all the financial privileges having a charitable status brings.
The dogs are then "sold" for over a hundred pounds with puppies fetching a far higher price.
(It is SELLING, not donating as the prices are fixed unless they think an animal/puppy is worth more) if you want speying or vaccinations you pay for it yourself.

This "rescue" sold a bitch similar to the one in the o/p to a family where it almost ripped the child's face off in an incident which made the papers.
They got it back and then sold it AGAIN to a family with small children.
They sent their heavies into my business to threaten me when I expressed how horrified I was at their irresponsibility.

This is why people, such as myself, are are starting to doubt charities. There was a very good discussion of charities here a few months ago. Basically, most of them are simply set up and run as businesses - charities are duplicated and it means that end users get less because there are more Directors (of different branches of the same cause) than need be. Some charity Directors start out by thinking 'OK, I'd like to start a business, I'm not bothered about a profit but I would like a huge salary'.

____________________
This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

Posts : 434
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-04-04
Location : Back of Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by whmon on 21.02.14 23:31

And Littlepixie - I am sure you reported that to the police.

____________________
This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

Posts : 434
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-04-04
Location : Back of Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by whmon on 22.02.14 0:28

@littlepixie wrote:Not all Rescues are what they seem. There is a highly popular well loved "rescue" near to me set in acres of land with a beautiful farmhouse which the owners live in.
It has a string of "charity" shops busily selling mostly new and a few donated goods to keep the owners in luxury and to feed the dogs . Enjoying all the financial privileges having a charitable status brings.
The dogs are then "sold" for over a hundred pounds with puppies fetching a far higher price.
(It is SELLING, not donating as the prices are fixed unless they think an animal/puppy is worth more) if you want speying or vaccinations you pay for it yourself.

This "rescue" sold a bitch similar to the one in the o/p to a family where it almost ripped the child's face off in an incident which made the papers.
They got it back and then sold it AGAIN to a family with small children.
They sent their heavies into my business to threaten me when I expressed how horrified I was at their irresponsibility.

I hope you don't mind Littlepixie, I pasted your comment (without your name) onto a dog forum I am on because what you have said needs to be known. If you object I will immediately remove it but I hope you don't mind. What you have said is scary.

____________________
This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

Posts : 434
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-04-04
Location : Back of Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by whmon on 22.02.14 1:19

@russiandoll wrote:If it is true as reported that the father brought this dog home as a rescue, but not from a rescue centre, then I hope, distressed as he and his partner are over this loss of a beloved newborn, that they are arrested.

 A rescue centre does a home check and asks about family circumstances before allowing a dog to be rehomed. I know a local one will not place large lively dogs such as lurchers in any home where there is an under-5.

 If this man brought a dog home from a pub [ as neighbours told media] then that is truly reckless and negligent.

 There is no way I can see any rescue centre allowing a dog this size in a home with a newborn.

 Nothing the parents say can excuse them from their actions in allowing this dog access to a baby. Even if Dad says he had the dog on a lead if/ when it went berserk, it is no excuse. You never get a dog which is stronger than you are.

 I wonder what research was done before allowing this huge, probably affectionate but strong animal, as are most malamutes, into the house?

 Let the dog smell baby clothes/blankets is the advice, to allow it to get accustomed to the smell well before they meet.
 Take away any squeaky dog toys, do not buy any. Babies make squeaky noises, they do not sound like adults or older children.

 Do not allow a dog onto furniture where you might sit with the baby, he might think this is his territory.

 Going out of a room where baby is?  Even if only for a minute, take baby with you or if leaving unattended, take dog out of the room or put him outside.
 Never ever leave a baby and a dog, regardless of size and temperament , alone, not even for a minute.

 The child did not ask to be born and I refuse to believe that adult stupidity when they should have taken care of her, was not behind this death.

 That is if she was in fact savaged by the dog, it has yet to be given as the cause of death.

 Sad beyond words. An entire life and future gone and it was preventable.

It could be that they got the dog from the rescue in the same way that I got my dog. I am in no way saying this is a good thing - only that it was a good thing for me and my dog. When I arrived at the rescue centre 6 years ago to look at the dogs I immediately INFORMED them that I would not be taking a dog home there and then as I would need at least 24 hours to decide as it is 'a huge decision'. (I didn't know about the home visit thing  -last dog I had was many years ago.) As it happens, I saw the dog who is my avator and told them I would either come back the next day for him or ring them to say no. I got home then immediately turned around to go back and get him as I had decided that I could not let him spend another night alone and unwanted in rescue. They let me take him home there and then because he had apparently been scheduled to be PTS within the next few days. I suppose the rescue had taken a gamble, he's a big dog and he has issues. I factor that into our lives and our walks and so far we've had no problems to speak of. We've even been able to offer a home to another dog with similar issues (the two dogs hate other dogs but love each other).

However, I'm just trying to point out that dogs are not to blame and as Russian Doll says a Rescue Centre would not allow a dog to be rehomed with a small child, the couple might have said they didn't have a small child though. TBH my second dog was rehomed privately and I simply made enquiries as to owned the running loose, malnourished, tick ridden, arrogant little bugger then bought him from them.

____________________
This message is confidential and the information must not be used, disclosed, or copied to any other person who is not entitled to receive it. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender and then delete it.

whmon

Posts : 434
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2013-04-04
Location : Back of Beyond

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by Hobs on 22.02.14 20:18

You are more likely to be bitten by a small breed than a big breed.

terriers and other small breeds were used for ratting and their instincts mean anything small or moves fast or erratically will be vulnerable.
Small brreds also tend to be of a nervous disposition and snappy.

however being bitten by a chihuahua is not as newsworthy as being bitten by a rottie or staffie.

Most injuries are caused by either bad breeding where dogs are bred for aggression or have  aggressive parents in their bloodlin or bad ownership where people don't take time to train either their dogs or their children or getting the wrong dog for their family

Bigger breeds tend to be more placid, smaller dogs more yappy and snappy.

Dogs need to know their position in the family as in lowest of the pack and the people need to be the pack alpha. a dog who knows where his posotion is will be a happy and safe, a dog who doesn't know his pack role will try to become the alpha or pack leader and you end up with a scared neurotic dog and a heap of problems.

Too many times i see people with totally unsuitable dogs, who can't control the dog dues to it's size, struggle keeping it under control when there are distractions etc.
They use dogs as a weapon and then wonder why it bites them or their kids.

People should have to face an exam to show they can be a suitable owner for any pet and  restricted as to breeds based on their family, home and ability to be a good owner. some folk shouldn't even be trusted with a pet rock

____________________
The little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best parts of a person's life.

Hobs

Posts : 715
Reputation : 288
Join date : 2012-10-20
Age : 52
Location : uk

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by plebgate on 22.02.14 20:31

@Hobs wrote:You are more likely to be bitten by a small breed than a big breed.

terriers and other small breeds were used for ratting and their instincts mean anything small or moves fast or erratically will be vulnerable.
Small brreds also tend to be of a nervous disposition and snappy.

however being bitten by a chihuahua is not as newsworthy as being bitten by a rottie or staffie.

Most injuries are caused by either bad breeding where dogs are bred for aggression or have  aggressive parents in their bloodlin or bad ownership where people don't take time to train either their dogs or their children or getting the wrong dog for their family

Bigger breeds tend to be more placid, smaller dogs more yappy and snappy.

Dogs need to know their position in the family as in lowest of the pack and the people need to be the pack alpha. a dog who knows where his posotion is will be a happy and safe, a dog who doesn't know his pack role will try to become the alpha or pack leader and you end up with a scared neurotic dog and a heap of problems.


Too many times i see people with totally unsuitable dogs, who can't control the dog dues to it's size, struggle keeping it under control when there are distractions etc.
They use dogs as a weapon and then wonder why it bites them or their kids.

People should have to face an exam to show they can be a suitable owner for any pet and  restricted as to breeds based on their family, home and ability to be a good owner. some folk shouldn't even be trusted with a pet rock
 I was always taught that to show a dog that it is lowest of the pack they should be fed last, not eat with the family around the table or be given their food first.   

It makes sense really, but I do believe that all any animal  (humans an all) wants is to be well fed and loved.  If that happens then things rarely go wrong but there are exceptions of course. 

I agree that people should be able to show that they can be suitable owners etc.

Who, in their right mind, would allow a dog called Killer to be brought into a home with young children.    Beggars belief.

plebgate

Posts : 5445
Reputation : 1160
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by Guest on 22.02.14 22:04

There are few and easy yet important things to keep your pets in the right [= low] rank in the "pack".
E.g. never, ever caress them, when they haven't done something to please or obey you. Do say "sit" and then pet them [and you can do that for hours, if you please, with no negative effect] . Same is important, when you go out. You'll never be able to be quicker than your dog, YET he may never be allowed to be first and thus take the lead. So, you sit him down and then give an order "go", You maintain superiority. With every single person in the house AND visitors: put the dog in place "0" straight from the start. It will not upset them. In fact, they're happy and content, when the "boss" tells them which place is theirs ...

And Hobs  is right. The only dog, who ever bit me in 50 years is a small Jack Russell terrier ... [And infected me with C canimorsis - I could have lost my hand and other extremities   ].

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by Hobs on 22.02.14 22:48

I worked with dogs for 10 yrs and in all that time i never had a dig fight with my dogs although the dogs being cared for by other staff would fight and i got nipped twice, once when a bully dog got into a scrap with another dog and the other dog grabbed hold of its crendential and bit hard , he went to bite the other dog and caught my arm. he never broke the skin and stopped as soon as he saw it was me and not the other dog. The other time one got his leg caught abd nipped my wrist as i untangled him. My own pack of dogs all knew their names and where they lived and never fought. I was the pack leader and they knew it. I could leave them out to play for hours and not once was there any kefuffles, unlike other packs who were always scrapping.

Even today dogs recognise me as an alpha which is great when it comes to training. Heck i have even trained my cats to do various tricks

____________________
The little unremembered acts of kindness and love are the best parts of a person's life.

Hobs

Posts : 715
Reputation : 288
Join date : 2012-10-20
Age : 52
Location : uk

View user profile http://tania-cadogan.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by tigger on 23.02.14 6:03

Thank goodness for the last two posts. people who put their dogs 'first'  , even if they have only one, are creating confused and unhappy dogs.

A dog knows how to be a dog. Nothing else. A dog who knows his place in the pack is a happy dog.
In a pack of wolves each has their place. Studies done on wolves show e.g. one of the pack has the task of sniffing out newcomers/ humans and report back to the leader. They all know who's the leader.

Friends of mine had two labrador crosses and treated them like children. I was once left alone with one and a neighbour's child came into the kitchen, she was  about 8 and noisy with it. The dog got over excited and  I had a terrible job restraining him from biting us. It was a big dog  and he took no notice. If I hadn't managed to kick him literally out of the kitchen  he would have bitten one or both of us.

____________________
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.

tigger

Posts : 8112
Reputation : 24
Join date : 2011-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Killed by a dog called Killer - Mum and boyfriend arrested

Post by Guest on 23.02.14 10:23

Thanks for that Tigger.

I've had some unpleasant experiences with dogs myself and would not want to be alone with one.

There are comments elsewhere that all may not be what it seems with the alleged dog attack on the baby in Wales last week.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum