The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Scotland Yard detectives investigating Madeleine McCann case move a step closer to making arrests with official bid to interview three suspects

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scotland Yard detectives investigating Madeleine McCann case move a step closer to making arrests with official bid to interview three suspects

Post by bristow on 23.01.14 19:23

The prospect of arrests over Madeleine McCann's disappearance moved a step closer today after Portugal's Attorney General's office confirmed it had received a formal request for help from UK prosecutors.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544750/Scotland-Yard-detectives-investigating-Madeleine-McCann-case-step-closer-making-arrests-official-bid-interview-three-suspects.html#ixzz2rFdbPta0 

bristow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scotland Yard detectives investigating Madeleine McCann case move a step closer to making arrests with official bid to interview three suspects

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 23.01.14 19:26

@bristow wrote:The prospect of arrests over Madeleine McCann's disappearance moved a step closer today after Portugal's Attorney General's office confirmed it had received a formal request for help from UK prosecutors.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2544750/Scotland-Yard-detectives-investigating-Madeleine-McCann-case-step-closer-making-arrests-official-bid-interview-three-suspects.html#ixzz2rFdbPta0 

Had just seen this and was going to post link, but you beat me to it. 

The three alleged burglars have had a couple of weeks now to disappear into the ether, so I won't hold my breath. They've been given a huge head start and are probably in another continent by now.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scotland Yard detectives investigating Madeleine McCann case move a step closer to making arrests with official bid to interview three suspects

Post by sallypelt on 23.01.14 19:30

I posted this earlier today. A much more credible source than the Daily Mail, and I get comfort from the last paragraph, that I have highlighted:

I don't know if this has already been posted:

Madeleine McCann case: British investigators request Portugal interviews
CNN) -- Authorities in Portugal have received a letter from British prosecutors asking to interview people there in connection with the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the authorities told CNN on Thursday.

The letter was sent on January 10 by Britain's Crown Prosecution Service, amid a renewed push to find the British girl who disappeared while on vacation with her family in the Portuguese resort town of Praia da Luz.

She was 3 years old at the time, and the case prompted headlines around the world.

The latest developments in the case come about three months after new police sketches were released of potential suspects and UK police appeared in a TV appeal for information.

The program prompted a flurry of tips, and police in Portugal announced in October that they would reopen the case. Since then, the Portuguese investigation has run in parallel with the British one.

Pedro do Carmo, the deputy national director of the Judiciary Police in Portugal, said last week that the Scotland Yard investigation was focused on three people but did not give further details.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/23/world/europe/portugal-uk-madeleine-mccann/

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 23.01.14 19:31

Instead of chasing 3 burglars they should be chasing kate and Gerry into an interview room for a proper grilling.

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bristow on 23.01.14 19:38

@sallypelt wrote:I posted this earlier today. A much more credible source than the Daily Mail, and I get comfort from the last paragraph, that I have highlighted:

CNN) -- Authorities in Portugal have received a letter from British prosecutors asking to interview people there in connection with the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the authorities told CNN on Thursday.

The letter was sent on January 10 by Britain's Crown Prosecution Service, amid a renewed push to find the British girl who disappeared while on vacation with her family in the Portuguese resort town of Praia da Luz.

She was 3 years old at the time, and the case prompted headlines around the world.

The latest developments in the case come about three months after new police sketches were released of potential suspects and UK police appeared in a TV appeal for information.

The program prompted a flurry of tips, and police in Portugal announced in October that they would reopen the case. Since then, the Portuguese investigation has run in parallel with the British one.

Pedro do Carmo, the deputy national director of the Judiciary Police in Portugal, said last week that the Scotland Yard investigation was focused on three people but did not give further details.

Apologies Sallypelt - I didn't see you had posted.

bristow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 23.01.14 19:42

@bristow wrote:
@sallypelt wrote:I posted this earlier today. A much more credible source than the Daily Mail, and I get comfort from the last paragraph, that I have highlighted:

Apologies Sallypelt - I didn't see you had posted.

You've got nothing to apologise for, Bristow. I didn't post it on this thread, and no one is more guilty than I am for missing posts. I just wanted to show the comparison between the two newspapers. Daily Mail just loves to spin.

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic72 on 23.01.14 19:42

Portugal have only just received a formal request, yet we have all known about this in the media for a couple of weeks?! So the UK general public are hearing about it before the PJ are?!

sonic72

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 23.01.14 20:23

A spokesman for the country's top law officer confirmed it was in receipt of an International Letter of Request thought to ask for access to three 'prime suspects' - but declined to discuss its contents.

In other words, the only thing which is absolutely confirmed is that an International Letter of Request has been sent. No confirmation about its contents. "Thought to ask for access" is newspaper speak for "we're just guessing like you are".

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 23.01.14 20:24

Who else lives in Portugal that SY might want to interview...?

Where's Mr. Murat these days...?

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by loopzdaloop on 23.01.14 20:30

This is a great article...

A spokesman for the country's top law officer confirmed it was in receipt of an International Letter of Request thought to ask for access to three 'prime suspects' - but declined to discuss its contents.

If I was in Scotland Yard, I would be bouyed with confidence about how the public reacted after the arrest of the mother of three-year-old Mikaeel Kular. Yes it was 'shocking' (but expected for most of us here), but the media behaved responsibility.

The fact David Payne was the only person not mentioned in the crimewatch can imo only mean that he is a prime suspect. 
When arrests are made or people turn queen's evidence there is often a ban made in their names being released. 
I'm sure this is the situation here. 

I wonder who the other two 'prime suspects' are.... (like we didn't know). 

Dear digital media monitors and recent graduates in the PR companies etc reading this. 
Really start to think about how your reputation is going to be impacted upon being associated with organisations that when the truth comes out (Which it will) will be thoroughly discredited. All hell will break loose... your faces will be the ones all over the newspapers as there will be a inquiry. Mark my words. 

*EDIT*

maybe it won't be payne that they arrest....

I wonder what Clarence Mitchell is currently doing / thinking as he must be on the radio for whatever he knows.  All my opinion.

loopzdaloop

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 23.01.14 20:42

@Smokeandmirrors wrote:
@bristow wrote:The prospect of arrests over Madeleine McCann's disappearance moved a step closer today after Portugal's Attorney General's office confirmed it had received a formal request for help from UK prosecutors.

Had just seen this and was going to post link, but you beat me to it. 

The three alleged burglars have had a couple of weeks now to disappear into the ether, so I won't hold my breath. They've been given a huge head start and are probably in another continent by now.

Yep - cue "bungling Portugese Police" headlines...

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 23.01.14 20:46

@canada12 wrote:A spokesman for the country's top law officer confirmed it was in receipt of an International Letter of Request thought to ask for access to three 'prime suspects' - but declined to discuss its contents.

In other words, the only thing which is absolutely confirmed is that an International Letter of Request has been sent. No confirmation about its contents. "Thought to ask for access" is newspaper speak for "we're just guessing like you are".

Ask for access - wonder if they are in jail?

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MRNOODLES on 23.01.14 20:48

*Thinking out loud*

A thought raced trough my head. However not sure of any whys or reasons for it. Don't laugh, but would there be any advantage or reason for the McCanns to be arrested by SY in Portugal, in other words when/if they pitch in for the trial verdict.
Plus this two week difference in reporting the letter of request can be attributed to the unexpected postponing of said verdict.

MRNOODLES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 23.01.14 20:53

All along I've been thinking that the Letters are asking for access to three prime suspects located in Portugal. This would be the assumption, yes? Since SY is sending letters to Portugal?

However, can we just clarify - is it Portugal's investigation or SY's investigation?

Would SY send Letters to Portugal asking to interview / arrest three prime suspects who actually live in the UK? Since it's Portugal's case?

So, in fact, is it possible the three prime suspects could actually be British citizens living in the UK?

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 23.01.14 20:59

Daily Mail, Gerard Couzens -

"Jose Magalhaes e Menezes, the public prosecutor in charge of the original investigation, is overseeing the reopened inquiry.
He was damning of the original probe pointing the finger at Madeleine's parents Kate and Gerry and claimed officers under disgraced former police chief Goncalo Amaral achieved "very little" during their 15 month investigation."

Can this really be taken seriously? - that the public prosecutor actually said such things about his own country`s police officers. 

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.01.14 21:04

@canada12 wrote:All along I've been thinking that the Letters are asking for access to three prime suspects located in Portugal. This would be the assumption, yes? Since SY is sending letters to Portugal?

However, can we just clarify - is it Portugal's investigation or SY's investigation?

Would SY send Letters to Portugal asking to interview / arrest three prime suspects who actually live in the UK? Since it's Portugal's case?

So, in fact, is it possible the three prime suspects could actually be British citizens living in the UK?
SY have said on many occasions that Portugal has primacy in this case, even though SY are conducting their own investigation.  Therefore, it follows that to make  arrests in any country, they would have to consult and ask permission from Portugal AG.  Just my opinion only of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug D on 23.01.14 21:33

Jornal de Noticias

Request of British police arrived to investigate suspects in Maddie case

Published às 12.36
MARISA RODRIGUES

The Attorney General's Office has received a letter of request on the Madeleine McCann case. Among the steps taken by the British authorities ordered inquiries are the three men who detectives believe the suspects, for having made several phone calls in the tourist resort of Praia da Luz, Lagos, on the night the child disappeared.
The letter of request will now be forwarded to the Court of Portimão and steps should be completed and delivered once again, by the Judicial Police (PJ).
This is the second request for help from the British authorities related to the disappearance, which occurred on May 3, 2007, when the child was three years old.
This is a set of steps that detectives ask which are made in Portugal, in the research taking place in England.

Presumably, but not necessarily, this comes from the horses mouth in Portugal mentioning 'the three men', but there is also the 'among the steps taken by the British authorities ordered inquiries' which implies that there are other things in the letters. However this is the google translation which often changes the meaning & context of things.

Doug D

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23.01.14 21:49

Canada12, That was my take on it too,really hope it is true.

Back to top Go down

Post by kitchen on 23.01.14 21:50

@canada12 wrote:All along I've been thinking that the Letters are asking for access to three prime suspects located in Portugal. This would be the assumption, yes? Since SY is sending letters to Portugal?

This is my thought too. The Guardian told us that TM put the burglars story out to the media - so what if the mobile phone info and three people are correct but the burglar bit is a fishing exercise from the Mccs. It makes sense to me that SY can't interview suspects whatever nationality about a case under the jurisdiction of the PJ without their go-ahead. IMO

kitchen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 23.01.14 21:55

Could it be three men who WERE in the area that night, were close to 5A but had nothing to do with Madeleine's disappearance? Regardless of what these men were up to that night, the police will only be interested in what they MAY have seen. My guess is, the PJ and SY won't be interested in whether they were up to no good that night, only whether they can "help with inquiries".

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Varriott on 23.01.14 22:00

Without implying any link to the SY investigation, of course, I just wonder if Gerry McCann, Russell O'Brien and Matthew Oldfield might be considered to be an example of "three men."  Three men who were away from the Tapas table for a great deal of time between 9pm and 10pm on the night in question, and three men who probably owned mobile phones.  I'm just sayin'...  not implyin'....

Varriott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stumo on 23.01.14 22:29

Three suspects....Gerry, Kate and Murat?

stumo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by melisande on 23.01.14 22:43

Couldn't help but notice that the Daily Express has another front page headline " 20 reasons to be cheerful" .  This happens to be similar to one of the top thread titles tonight on this forum. Coincidence ?  big grin

melisande

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 23.01.14 22:56

@melisande wrote:Couldn't help but notice that the Daily Express has another front page headline " 20 reasons to be cheerful" .  This happens to be similar to one of the top thread titles tonight on this forum. Coincidence ?  big grin

big grin 

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 12 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum