The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Doing a McCann - Drunk mum spared jail for leaving boy at home as she was 'not as bad as the McCanns'

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Doing a McCann - Drunk mum spared jail for leaving boy at home as she was 'not as bad as the McCanns'

Post by void on 14.01.14 1:38

@ultimaThule wrote:Jeez, void.  That's not what I need to see before bedtime. 

Isn't it enough that forum members are constantly exposed to mugshots of K&G and their pink poodle to say nothing of Uncle John, Auntie Phil,  2 grannies, 2 Brian Kennedys, and all of the other pondlife which inhabits this particular swamp?
LOL!

void

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Doing a McCann - Drunk mum spared jail for leaving boy at home as she was 'not as bad as the McCanns'

Post by jeanmonroe on 14.01.14 1:46

“If Kate and Gerry were guilty of child neglect, and they were absolutely not,.........."
-------------------------------------------------------

No Kate and Gerry child neglect, then absolutely no abduction,,,,,,,,

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 14.01.14 1:54

Last night a close pal of the couple, of Rothley, Leics, said: “The comments are insensitive and plain wrong. Kate and Gerry will be furious. The circomstancies are totally different and NOT comparable"
--------------------------------------------------------------------

YEP. Totally different! The Welsh lady had LOCKED all her doors, before going out!

ps: 'sounds' like Auntie Phil wrote that 'statement'

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on 14.01.14 1:59

jean, you truly crack me up with your brutal honesty spit coffee

void

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lj on 14.01.14 2:20

"Doing a McCann" made the urban dictionary years ago. Maybe it will make Merriam-Webster this year.

http://pjga.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

http://whatreallyhappenedtomadeleinemccann.blogspot.co.uk/

lj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on 14.01.14 2:21

@lj wrote:"Doing a McCann" made the urban dictionary years ago. Maybe it will make Merriam-Webster this year.
Urban dictionary is old news. Its in the oxford dictionary since 2012

void

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Drunk mum spared jail for leaving boy at home as she was 'not as bad as the McCanns'

Post by sharonl on 14.01.14 7:20

Drunk mum spared jail for leaving boy at home as she was 'not as bad as the McCanns'

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/360395/Drunk-mum-spared-jail-for-leaving-boy-at-home-as-she-was-not-as-bad-as-the-McCanns-

A DRUNK mum who left her son at home alone was spared jail after her brief said she “wasn’t as bad as the McCanns”.
By Meg Jorsh/Published 14th January 2014

STILL SEARCHING: Madeleine McCann vanished while on holiday with her parents and siblings in Portugal in 2007 [PA]

Lawyer Gareth Morgan begged magistrates not to send the 44-year-old to prison.

She had admitted leaving her five-year-old, who has Asperger’s syndrome, on his own at home.

He claimed the defendant was less neglectful than Kate and Gerry McCann, whose daughter Madeleine vanished in Portugal in 2007.

Mr Morgan said: “The McCanns were guilty of child neglect for leaving their little girl much longer than my client. They were never prosecuted for it.”

Mr and Mrs McCann reported their daughter, then aged three, missing after they had been dining 50 metres from their holiday flat in Praia da Luz, Portugal.

The tot and her one-year-old twin brother and sister had been left to sleep.

Merthyr Tydfil Magistrates’ Court, Mid Glam, heard the defendant left the house on October 30 to visit a nearby cashpoint.

The mother, who cannot be named for legal reasons, crashed her car at a red light while two-and-a-half times the drink-drive limit.

While being arrested she told police officers her son was at home alone. He was found asleep on the sofa.

The woman, from Merthyr Tydfil, was given a 12-month supervision order after pleading guilty to child neglect, drink-driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

sharonl

View user profile http://www.cold2012.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by debs on 14.01.14 8:29

the Mirror calls the lawyer's courtroom tactics "outrageous" and "shocking", which suggests the press are worried about being sued

Mirror's version

"A lawyer accused Madeleine McCann’s parents of child neglect as he defended his own client in an “outrageous” courtroom speech". "Gareth Morgan made the shocking claim........"

debs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 14.01.14 8:45

IMO the papers had a choice to print this story and again IMO they did it for a reason.

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 14.01.14 9:04

@Smokeandmirrors wrote:IMO the papers had a choice to print this story and again IMO they did it for a reason.

I agree Smokeandmirrors.

I find it amusing and quite pointed that the Mirror and Telegraph refer to the 'lawyer's "outrageous" courtroom speech.'

It appears it's the family who are outraged at the neglect charge being levelled at the McCs. Who'd have thought? Knocking down the foundations of their own abduction nonsense. That may be the plan come to think of it. And the very notion that the  Mcs should be compared to any old everyday common or garden neglectful mum who's gone out drinking only confirms the Mcs think they are in a different category of society. They are - their child is missing. Look - I can't sit here and lie and be naive and type any other than she could be dead.

It's true the woman left a vulnerable child, went out, had a fair bit to drink and experienced a helluva car crash.

And so did the woman in Wales

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SixMillionQuid on 14.01.14 9:06

It's going to be discussed on LBC in this hour.

SixMillionQuid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 14.01.14 9:08

I posted on the OP that it was only a matter of time before someone did this.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 14.01.14 9:11

We have two threads on this, see also Doing A McCann

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gillyspot on 14.01.14 9:14

Now it is in the Mirror

Madeleine McCann: Lawyer says Kate & Gerry McCann guilty of neglect for leaving her & they weren't charged. 

By Adam Aspinall
January 14th 2014

Gareth Morgan made the shocking claim while acting for a drink-driving mum who left her five-year-old son, who has Asperger syndrome, home alone at night 

A lawyer accused Madeleine McCann’s parents of child neglect as he defended his own client in an “outrageous” courtroom speech.
Gareth Morgan made the shocking claim while acting for a drink-driving mum who left her five-year-old son, who has Asperger syndrome, home alone at night.
Yesterday a friend of Kate and Gerry McCann, both 45, blasted the comparison as ­“insensitive and plain wrong”.
The mum, 44, was caught after she crashed into a car at traffic lights. When the police went to her home they found the “extremely vulnerable” boy there.
The woman, who cannot be named, admitted neglect and was spared jail. But Mr Morgan pleaded for her freedom on the basis that Kate and Gerry McCann were never prosecuted for leaving daughter Madeleine alone in their holiday flat.
He told magistrates in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales: “The parents of Madeleine McCann were guilty of child neglect for leaving their little girl much longer than my client. They were never prosecuted.
"The mother in this case is ashamed and remorseful at putting her young child at risk in the way she did.”
The McCanns left [url=http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/madeleine mccann]three-year-old Madeleine [/url]in their apartment in Portugal’s Praia da Luz while they dined with friends at a nearby tapas bar in May 2007.
Last night a close pal of the couple, of Rothley, Leics, said: “The comments are insensitive and plain wrong. Kate and Gerry will be furious. The circumstances are totally different and not comparable.
“If Kate and Gerry were guilty of child neglect, and they were absolutely not, they would have been dealt with. As it is, there are two police inquiries in two different countries trying to find out what happened to Madeleine, and comments made by a lawyer in an unrelated case is offensive, outrageous and inaccurate.
"It is his opinion, but it is a disgrace that a defence lawyer is commenting on Kate and Gerry in this way. They will not be happy about that.”
Merthyr Tydfil magistrates heard the mum was more than two-and-a-half times the limit when she drove to a supermarket cashpoint shortly before midnight.
On the way back she smashed into the rear of a car being driven by Bronnie-May Dunn, 21, who had stopped at a red traffic light.
Miss Dunn suffered head injuries in the crash but the woman shouted at her: “That was your f****** fault.”
Police followed the woman home but she told them: “I can’t be arrested, my son is in the house and he’s only five.”
Prosecutor Stephen Head said: “Sure enough, when police went into the house they found the boy asleep under a blanket on the settee.”
The woman pleaded guilty to child neglect, drink-driving and leaving an accident. She got a 12-month supervision order, was ordered to carry out 120 hours’ unpaid work and told to attend a course. She was also banned from driving for 22 months.
Probation officer Graham Craig said: “His mother accepts full responsibility and knows a potentially catastrophic situation could have developed while she was out.”
The McCanns would not be drawn on Mr Morgan’s claim last night. Spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: “We will not comment on details in a court case.” Mr Morgan could not be reached.
Meanwhile, British police hunting for Madeleine are poised to make their first arrests. They are heading to the Algarve and want to quiz three burglars behind raids in Praia da Luz. Records show the men made numerous calls to each other after she disappeared.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-lawyer-gareth-morgan-3020133#.UtSBMEbZMQU.twitter

Wonder who the close "pal" is? Any guesses?  big grin

Gillyspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

LBC97.3.

Post by Searcher on 14.01.14 9:16

Have just flagged up on Twitter thread that this is being discussed in the next hour (before 10 am) by Nick Ferrari.

Searcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by noddy100 on 14.01.14 9:17

@Searcher wrote:Have just flagged up on Twitter thread that this is being discussed in the next hour (before 10 am) by Nick Ferrari.
Have put LBC on will be interesting as he is not my favourite person tbh but he is quite outspoken so who knows?

noddy100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Slave on 14.01.14 9:27

Having been a crown court witness for the prosecution in a serious, nasty case I can tell you from personal experience that all manner of things can be said in a court of law. And you cannot sue for slander. I was so outraged by my treatment and the line of questioning that I made a formal complaint. There was nothing that could be done.
You suck it up, answer the questions and tell the truth. Or they KNOW you're lying.
I can't wait for the day this pair take the stand and get cross examined. It's a nightmare ...Barristers can 'put it to you that you did X , Y & Z... ' and even if it's wildly speculative and based on lies it's still 'put to you'.
It's devastating , even when you're an innocent witness. 
Your only salvation is telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Because if you don't a good silk will tear you apart.

The Slave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14.01.14 9:28

The circumstances are totally different and not comparable. wrote:

Quite.

Madeleine was 3 and babysitting her two younger siblings whereas this boy is the grand old age of 5 and simply looking after himself.

If the McCanns were well within the bounds of reasonable parenting, then this woman should be crowned "Mother of the Year".

Back to top Go down

Post by mouse on 14.01.14 9:31

Sadly Petermac I too thought it would only be a matter of time until someone trotted out this line of defense. I'm only surprised it hasn't been used before....or maybe it has and we haven't heard about it. 

Anyway, what struck me was the response from Team Mccan's side - at how outrageous these comments were from the lawyer!!! (is outrage this years ludicrous?) I mean talk about spinning it back on to the feelings of the perfect untouchable parenting skills of K & G - the victims once again....Where were the feelings for the little child left on his own at home? Nothing from Kate who is a patron of missing people/children. And the comparisons were very different apparently - well I agree for once. K & G left not one five year old but a 3 year old with two little under twos - left them in an apartment in a foreign country (allegedly) every night of their holidays to go out and drink. 

What is the difference? Not much as far as I can see - both took risks leaving their children on their own - but K & G being doctors had more reason to know that doing this could be judged as child neglect - they took that risk and pointing the finger at the so-called abductor is not going to change the bare facts that just won't go away - that they facilitated the disappearance of their daughter - whether by an abductor .....or not.

mouse

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 14.01.14 9:32

'Wonder who the close "pal" is? Any guesses?'

Sounds like Auntie Phil to me 

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Plenty of debate on this topic in the public domain

Post by Jemmied_Shatter on 14.01.14 9:34

There is a vast difference in circumstance. Rothley is a village full of stockbrokers and commuters. Merthyr Tydfil is a small town which once boasted the highest proportion pro rata of Incapacitated Benefit claimants. The lawyer is just stating that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Now a question, I would love to see social services rule on this one: Does this drunk woman in Merthyr raise her standards to that of the McCanns or vice versa in order to establish a benchmark for what is responsible parenting? tongue 

Jemmied_Shatter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 14.01.14 9:36

quote mirage

It's true the woman left a vulnerable child, went out, had a fair bit to drink and experienced a helluva car crash.

I did not read it that way, more that she was over the limit when she drove to the cashpoint, not that she was out for the time it would take her to get over the limit...I drew the inference that she had been drinking at home. Perhaps you did also, what you wrote however suggests that she got drunk after leaving the house.

Only mentioning this because it has a bearing on how long she intended to leave the children alone, am not excusing her drink-driving or irresponsibility at all.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Slave on 14.01.14 9:41

@void wrote:
@lj wrote:"Doing a McCann" made the urban dictionary years ago. Maybe it will make Merriam-Webster this year.
Urban dictionary is old news. Its in the oxford dictionary since 2012

Good grief! Is It!? How flippin' marvelous. Mrs  Now we have 'The McCann Defense'.

The Slave

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suzyjohnson on 14.01.14 9:41

@russiandoll wrote:quote mirage

I did not read it that way, more that she was over the limit when she drove to the cashpoint, not that she was out for the time it would take her to get over the limit...I drew the inference that she had been drinking at home. Perhaps you did also, what you wrote however suggests that she got drunk after leaving the house.

Only mentioning this because it has a bearing on how long she intended to leave the children alone, am not excusing her drink-driving or irresponsibility at all.

Yes, my understanding was that she was intending to get a takeaway, not that she had left her son all evening, hence the lawyers comment that the McCanns had left their children for a longer time.

suzyjohnson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterion on 14.01.14 9:43

Isn`t the other difference that the McCanns left the apartment unlocked facilitating abduction?

The big problem is that the public perception is that the tapas bar was in close proximity so it wasn`t abandonment or neglect. Until that is corrected nothing will change.

mysterion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum