The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hello!

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and help us get to the truth about what really happened to Madeleine Beth McCann.

When posting please be mindful that this forum is primarily about the death of a three year old girl.

Regards,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Vitamin C3: connection, corruption and cooperation

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Vitamin C3: connection, corruption and cooperation

Post by Mirage on 12.01.14 13:23

Clay Regazzoni wrote:
@Mirage wrote:

Predominantly, the raison d'etre of COMARE is the study of effects of radiation on people living near nuclear stations, as tigger makes clear.

I thought their agenda was slightly more slanted than that - ie. they study the effects of radiation on people living nuclear power stations with an aim to concluding that there aren't any. Could be wrong though.
 I wouldn't be in the least surprised, Clay. I must have taken my cynic's hat off for a second. Sorry about that lapse in the sartorial department - won't happen again!  big grin

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tigger on 12.01.14 14:22

So between July 2008 and September 2009 Comare dispensed with the services of Dr.McCann.

In July 2008 they were released from the arguido status.

What I find most interesting is the appointment in 2006 - so what else happened in that year? House move -any other appointments such as lecturing at Leicester University?

Thank you wizard Blackcatboogie  roses roses roses 

tigger

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.01.14 16:36

Mirage - Dr Who - I wish! big grin 

Please could a more experienced poster check my results as the last thing I want to do is mislead (and my head can't cope with the timemachine today).

I think all the connections TB posted earlier today on this thread are extremely relevant. Ed Smethurst seems key in this respect. 

Taken together with all the UK/Portuguese/Symington/John Major connections

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t3426-john-major-and-the-symington-family?highlight=symington

then it is indeed a tangled web and I would bet my life that the answer is somewhere inside it.

What happened in summer 2006? 

First indications that Gordon Brown backing building more nuclear plants in UK (thou nb not in Scotland) - 'the issue back on the agenda with a vengence' in June 2006:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5066692.stm

and in July 2006 the long-awaited UK energy review backing nuclear expansion - with 'streamlining' of the plannning process to prevent local objections (which would obviously include health risks as covered by COMARE:-

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9531-uk-energy-review-backs-new-nuclear-stations.html#.UtLBMftNCSo

Interesting reading!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 12.01.14 17:39

BlackCatBoogie wrote:I think all the connections TB posted earlier today on this thread are extremely relevant. Ed Smethurst seems key in this respect. 

Taken together with all the UK/Portuguese/Symington/John Major connections

http://jillhavern.forumotion.net/t3426-john-major-and-the-symington-family?highlight=symington

then it is indeed a tangled web and I would bet my life that the answer is somewhere inside it.

What happened in summer 2006? 

First indications that Gordon Brown backing building more nuclear plants in UK (thou nb not in Scotland) - 'the issue back on the agenda with a vengence' in June 2006:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5066692.stm

and in July 2006 the long-awaited UK energy review backing nuclear expansion - with 'streamlining' of the plannning process to prevent local objections (which would obviously include health risks as covered by COMARE:-

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn9531-uk-energy-review-backs-new-nuclear-stations.html#.UtLBMftNCSo

Interesting reading!

From THE LAWYER, 2001 (the year incidentally that Edward Smethurst was the 'Worshipful Grand Master' of the East Lancashire - West Derby Freemason's Lodge:

Freshfields moves aside as BNFL creates panel
22 January 2001

Freshfields Bruckhaus Der-inger has lost its position as sole legal adviser to British Nuclear Fuels (BNFL) following the company's decision to appoint its first ever panel.

Freshfields has been BNFL's main law firm since 1971, but Hammond Suddards Edge,
Eversheds and DLA are now advising the company on a number of areas housed under corporate and commercial and dispute resolution. Bristol-based firm Veale Wasbrough has been retained to advise BNFL's subsidiary Magnox.

Alvin Shuttleworth, company secretary and group legal director at BNFL, says: "We had a one-stop shop setup with Freshfields. Anything we didn't do internally we'd outsource to them as a single source for other expertise like tax, or when it was a resource issue."

However, he adds: "The amount of work we've got has expanded between what we can deal with and what resources we've got."

BNFL has 34 lawyers in its legal department, which is split equally between the US and Warrington in Cheshire.

Shuttleworth adds: "Basically, we've always used Freshfields, and unless we had a conflict, we used them exclusively."

Since the legal department's work has grown, Shuttleworth considered either recruiting internally or outsourcing, before settling on the idea of putting together a panel.

Paul Bowden, a litigation partner at Freshfields who has worked with BNFL since 1982, says that the firm was very much involved in the process of recruiting a panel for the company. Bowden heads a 120-strong global team that does work for BNFL.

"We were virtually the sole provider," he says. "The model was originally that BNFL always had a very large, very talented legal department which had always done a lot of the work themselves."

Freshfields will continue to advise the company on the major big-ticket work, including the privatisation of BNFL, which the government announced in 1999 and which will be achieved under a public-to-private partnership scheme. The firm will also act on extremely large litigation cases for the company.

BNFL began the process of interviewing firms in autumn last year. Shuttleworth says that he was able to come up with a list of preferred law firms because he is deputy chairman of the Law Society's commerce and industry group and was able to use his contacts there to decide which firms to look at in the North West.

Shuttleworth will take over the chair of the commerce and industry group from Edward Smethurst, who formerly worked in-house at BNFL and is now head of legal at Clitheroe-based conservatory roof system manufacturer Ultraframe

[ NOTE by TB: Ultraframe is a Brian Kennedy-linked company. It suggests that Smethurst became Brian Kennedy's lawyer in about 2001 and 2002 - and was later promoted to being the head of the Latium Group's Legal Department - again Brian Kennedy's group of companies. Clitheroe in Lancashire is very close to Rochdale in Lancashire where Edward Smethurst has his base. According to Dr Kate McCann's book, 'madeleine', it was Smethurst and a generous Brian Kennedy who first contacted the McCanns on Wednesday 12 September. Two days later, Angus McBride drove up to Rothley and personally drove the McCanns down to a meeting in London with several top lawyers. Another meeting where five top lawyers were present took place six days later (20 September): 'madeleine. pp. 268-271 ]

2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony Bennett on 12.01.14 17:47

WINNER TAKES ALL - Article by 'Tulkinghorn in 'The Lawyer', also 2001:

Winners, every one of them!

Fair play, honesty and integrity - the key ingredients of any good lawyer.

Or so Tulkinghorn thought until he attended the Law Society Commerce and Industry (C&I) Group's summer ball at the Hanover Hotel in sunny Warrington.

Well, it would combine an important evening of networking with a lovely little treat for Mrs Tulkinghorn.

As it turned out, she was quite disgusted with the blatant disregard of ethics that was displayed during the prize draw, at what was otherwise a very pleasant evening.

More than 100 members and guests took part in the draw, but something sinister had clearly been happening behind the scenes beforehand.

First prize went to Edward Smethurst, who has twice chaired the C&I Group.

Second prize went to next year's chair, Ann Page.

Third prize was received by Page's PA, Christine Smith.

Fourth prize…went to…yes, you guessed it - to the current chair, Alvin Shuttleworth.

Anti-competitive or what?

However, the so-called coincidence runs even deeper. Shuttleworth, a lifelong Manchester United fan, won two tickets to see the play Theatre of Dreams about, um, Busby's boys.

Ann Page, whose partner is a lover of all things trains, won vouchers for the Northern Belle.

Page, incidentally, also read out the names of the winners.

Mrs Tulkinghorn was not impressed at all - she quite fancied picking up third prize, a Hermes tie, to replace the Old Bromleians (Tulkinghorn's old football club, you know) tie that Tulkinghorn must confess is looking a little frayed and jaded after 15 years good service.

As it happens, Page won that herself, which didn't go down well at all, as I'm sure you can imagine.

http://www.thelawyer.com/winners-every-one-of-them/84451.article

2007 (28 June) Dr Gerry McCann: “I have no doubt we will be able to sustain a high profile for Madeleine’s disappearance in the long-term”.

2017 (February) Dr Kate McCannthrust into a global bidding war…news giants battle to sign her up for the 10th anniversary…offered huge bids…bombarded with offers…30 sitting on the table…getting new bids every other day…one told Kate and Gerry: ‘Name your price!’

Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.01.14 18:18

@Tony Bennett wrote:I do not know if this is relevant:

Edward Smethurst:

1. Has holidayed every year in a holiday apartment in Praia da Luz with the children of one of his three families ever since 1999

2. Got his first major job at British Nuclear Fuels Ltd (BNFL)

3. Is a top-ranking Freemason in the East Lancashire Province

4. His boss at British Nucelar Fuels was Alvin Shuttleworth, the Head of Legal Sesrvices for BNFL, another very high-ranking Freemason indeed in the East Lancashire Province

5. Alvin Shuttleworth and Edward Smethurst were and are both in the same Freemasons Lodge in East Lancashire. Alvin Shuttleworth has throughout Smethurst's life been his father-figure and mentor within and outside Freemasonry, ever since Smethurst's father, Gerald Smethurst, died in a mysterious fire at his home on Smethurst's thirteenth birthday

6. Smethurst and Shuttleworth worked together to deny compensation to the families of children who lived near BNFL's Sellafield plant and contracted leukemia

7. Smethurst became the McCanns' co-ordinating lawyer, allegedly after a call out of the blue from Smethurst's new boss, Cheshire businessman Brian Kenendy, said to have been received by Gereald McCann on Wednesday 12 September 2007

8. Smethurst has been a Director of Madeleine's Fund ever since 2009.

What a thoroughly unpleasant set of people the McCanns surround themselves with.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rufus T on 12.01.14 19:34

I am thinking that Gerry's appointment to Comare had less to do with his medical expertise and more to do with who he knew as the chairman Prof. Alex Elliot was working at the Western, which if you remember was where Gerry met Kate.

Gerry was on the medical practices subcommittee , their  terms of reference are as follows 

Terms of Reference:
"To advise COMARE on the health effects arising from medical and similar practices involving the use of ionising and non-ionising radiation through assessment of the available data and to inform COMARE of further research priorities."

ETA the wayback machine is bloody marvellous, wish I had known about it ages ago.

Rufus T

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 12.01.14 19:55

COMARE is an independent expert advisory committee with members chosen for their medical and scientific expertise and recruited from Universities, Research and Medical Institutes. Members have never been drawn from the Nuclear or Electrical Power Supply Industries.
The Committee offers independent advice to all Government Departments and Devolved Authorities, not just the Health Departments, and is responsible for assessing and advising them on the health effects of natural and man-made radiation. It is also asked to assess the adequacy of the available data and advise on the need for further research.
COMARE's terms of reference are "to assess and advise Government and the devolved authorities on the health effects of natural and man-made radiation and to assess the adequacy of the available data and the need for further research".
COMARE has representation from the following departments and agencies at their meetings:

• Department for Communities and Local Government
  • Department of Energy and Climate Change
  • Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs
  • Department of Health
  • Department of Health, Social Services & Public Safety (Northern Ireland)
  • Environment Agency
  • Food Standards Agency
  • Health and Safety Executive
  • Information Services Division, NHS Scotland
  • Medical Research Council
  • Ministry of Defence
  • Nuclear Decommissioning Authority
  • Office of National Statistics
  • Public Health England
  • Scottish Environment Protection Agency
  • Scottish Government
  • Welsh Government

http://www.comare.org.uk/

What an excellent list of valuable contacts

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 12.01.14 20:07

I don't know if this is of any interest to this thread, but here are all the directorships etc. that A Shuttleworth holds or once held:

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/904077902

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12.01.14 21:56

@sallypelt wrote:I don't know if this is of any interest to this thread, but here are all the directorships etc. that A Shuttleworth holds or once held:

http://companycheck.co.uk/director/904077902

65 resigned appointments
16 dissolved appointments

And this all between the ages of 41 to 64? Busy man!

If you look at this link he seems to have resigned from an awful lot of nuclear enginnering/transport appointments in May 2006.

Bodieco Ltd then seems to have been set up in November 2006 -  can't seem to find any info about it in the search engines apart from classified as "Other professional, scientific and technical activities not elsewhere classified". 

Interesting exercise to repeat with some others...

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum