The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Reasons to be cheerful from The Telegraph 30mins ago

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Reasons to be cheerful from The Telegraph 30mins ago

Post by debs on 10.01.14 21:40

I just noticed that the Times has spelt Madeleine as Madelaine in the headline (see my last post), I expect they will correct it when they realise

debs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanmonroe on 10.01.14 21:46

@debs wrote:I just noticed that the Times has spelt Madeleine as Madelaine in the headline (see my last post), I expect they will correct it when they realise

I expect they will correct it when they read this forum!

jeanmonroe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashwarya on 10.01.14 21:48

Textusa sounds optimistic in her new blog today, which gives me a reason to be cheerful.

Ashwarya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by uppatoffee on 11.01.14 3:10

This is the article from today's Times. This cannot surely be the best lead they have? It just reads like utter nonsense. They bungle a burglary and end up taking nothing but a 3 year old child. I don't think so!

Scotland Yard detectives investigating the abduction of Madeleine McCann last night formally requested help from the Portuguese authorities after British detectives identified three prime suspects.
In a significant move, the Crown Prosecution Service sent an International Letter of Request to Portuguese authorities.
The Scotland Yard investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine has revealed a gang of burglars were operating near to where she was abducted in May 2007.
Analysis of mobile phone calls indicates three men made a large number of telephone calls to each in the hours after Madeleine was reported missing from her holiday flat in the Algarve.
Days before Madeleine’s disappearance, the gang carried out a bungled burglary of another holiday flat in the Praia da Luz resort, disturbing a child.The child’s parents interrupted the burglars who fled.
However, Portuguese police attached no significance to the burglary when they were investigating the disappearance of Madeleine. Scotland Yard detectives described this oversight as a “disgrace”.
British detectives believe the same burglars may have raided the flat where Madeleine was staying and woken her up by mistake. In the panic, they might have taken her away with them.
Following the breakthrough by Scotland Yard, discussions have been under way about the possibility of arresting the burglars and searching their homes.
However, until now Scotland Yard has not been able to arrest the men because they need the agreement of Portuguese authorities, who have been reluctant to agree to a joint investigation.
None of the burglars is British so Scotland Yard officers cannot act without the agreement of the Portuguese. Sensitive diplomatic discussions are under way to try to secure this agreement so British detectives can be based in Portugal.
Portuguese police have said their prime suspect for Madeleine’s abduction is a 40-year-old former employee at the resort where the McCann’s stayed at who later died in a tractor accident. However, British detectives have privately dismissed the theory.

uppatoffee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by canada12 on 11.01.14 3:36

If you were heading an investigation this big, would you let your prime suspects know you were initiating talks and paperwork with the ultimate aim of arresting them? I somehow don't think SY are talking to the PJ about three bungling burglars. Nor are the PJ focused on a dead tractor driver. I do think SY and PJ may have their sights set on other suspects, however. But they'd be highly unlikely to reveal who they are at this stage.

As Kate and Gerry reminded us the other day on their Facebook page... "Please allow the police to do their jobs and not speculate or fuel rumours. We will not answer questions related to unfounded and speculative press articles and we ask that you not post them on our page."

I consider the current Times story to be just that... unfounded and speculative (with perhaps one basic grain of truth - "Scotland Yard detectives investigating the abduction of Madeleine McCann last night formally requested help from the Portuguese authorities after British detectives identified three prime suspects.") .
Right, Kate and Gerry...? :-)

canada12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi on 11.01.14 4:03

"Right, Kate and Gerry...?"...David Payne?

marconi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi on 11.01.14 4:11

Of course no police would ever tell what they are investigating. Nowhere in this world.
But I believe in the amount "three" suspects.
From 38 persons of interest, among whom nobody belonged to the Tapas, suddenly it increased to 41.
Redwood did not say that those  extra 3 people didn't belong to the Tapas.
I think they do.
If they didn't, Redwood would have said it.

I regret that so many bad things are being said about the Met police. There must be corrupt people among them but not as many as people are asserting.
I believe in their idealisme.

marconi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by void on 11.01.14 4:20

Every time a new headline is released regarding the case, it is always made out to be a 'significant advancement' in the case  clapping haha, even though only half a sentence in the article is actually worth anything.

This has dragged on far enough!

void

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by marconi on 11.01.14 5:36

Void, this is now much better than it used to be.
During the first two years the alms the Yard was throuwing  around were not even enough to keep  the wolves out of the door.

marconi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by columbostogeys on 11.01.14 5:57

@uppatoffee wrote:This is the article from today's Times. This cannot surely be the best lead they have? It just reads like utter nonsense. They bungle a burglary and end up taking nothing but a 3 year old child. I don't think so!

Scotland Yard detectives investigating the abduction of Madeleine McCann last night formally requested help from the Portuguese authorities after British detectives identified three prime suspects.
In a significant move, the Crown Prosecution Service sent an International Letter of Request to Portuguese authorities.
The Scotland Yard investigation into the disappearance of Madeleine has revealed a gang of burglars were operating near to where she was abducted in May 2007.
Analysis of mobile phone calls indicates three men made a large number of telephone calls to each in the hours after Madeleine was reported missing from her holiday flat in the Algarve.
Days before Madeleine’s disappearance, the gang carried out a bungled burglary of another holiday flat in the Praia da Luz resort, disturbing a child.The child’s parents interrupted the burglars who fled.
However, Portuguese police attached no significance to the burglary when they were investigating the disappearance of Madeleine. Scotland Yard detectives described this oversight as a “disgrace”.
British detectives believe the same burglars may have raided the flat where Madeleine was staying and woken her up by mistake. In the panic, they might have taken her away with them.
Following the breakthrough by Scotland Yard, discussions have been under way about the possibility of arresting the burglars and searching their homes.
However, until now Scotland Yard has not been able to arrest the men because they need the agreement of Portuguese authorities, who have been reluctant to agree to a joint investigation.
None of the burglars is British so Scotland Yard officers cannot act without the agreement of the Portuguese. Sensitive diplomatic discussions are under way to try to secure this agreement so British detectives can be based in Portugal.
Portuguese police have said their prime suspect for Madeleine’s abduction is a 40-year-old former employee at the resort where the McCann’s stayed at who later died in a tractor accident. However, British detectives have privately dismissed the theory.

Isnt this just the same article that was in the Dail Mail over a week ago? It just seems to me they are rehash the same thing over and over.

So how stupid is it that the Yard would let the 3 errrmmm burglars know they are on to them. AND how do they know they were burglarising anything?

Also i believe the failed burglary was a YEAR before......mccanns came to PDL.

I honestly think this is Ground Hog day, or Ground Hog wash day lol.

columbostogeys

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by debs on 11.01.14 8:37

@uppatoffee wrote:Analysis of mobile phone calls indicates three men made a large number of telephone calls to each in the hours after Madeleine was reported missing from her holiday flat in the Algarve.
How do the police know the mobile phone numbers of the burglars? Are they in yellow pages these days under "burglars"? Can't believe that burglars use contracted pay monthly phones anyway, they would use PAYG, so nobody would know whose phones they are would they?

debs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 11.01.14 8:41

@debs wrote:How do the police know the mobile phone numbers of the burglars? Are they in yellow pages these days under "burglars"?

Mr   Mrs 

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.01.14 8:43

Whenever news about this case features Scotland Yard blaming the Portuguese for not doing their jobs properly, it's not from Scotland Yard, I reckon. It's just that obvious.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.01.14 8:54

The only real message is that SY are asking the PJ for a joint investigation for a SECOND time.
So SY want it widely known that the PJ refused the first request.
Is this so that SY can blame the PJ for a lack of cooperation if they fail to solve the case?

Back to top Go down

Post by debs on 11.01.14 9:09

So during the bungled burglary, the burglars (who for some reason have given their mobile phone numbers to the police) were disturbed by someone, and fled, but on the second occasion they took Maddie. Was it too easy escaping without a kid under their arms? Why is the Times writing this nonsense? And if the police knew the phone numbers of the burglars, why didn't they just ring them up and ask them to come quietly down to the station for a little chat?

debs

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pershing36 on 11.01.14 9:20

dantezebu wrote:The only real message is that SY are asking the PJ for a joint investigation for a SECOND time.
Is this so that SY can blame the PJ for a lack of cooperation if they fail to solve the case?

That is what I am wondering, is it because they didn't comply with the first or is this another request for something more?

Pershing36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seek truth on 11.01.14 9:43

@Pershing36 wrote:
dantezebu wrote:The only real message is that SY are asking the PJ for a joint investigation for a SECOND time.

That is what I am wondering, is it because they didn't comply with the first or is this another request for something more?
It says MORE help.
Which means they have helped before.

Seek truth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.01.14 10:15

@Seek truth wrote:
@Pershing36 wrote:

It says MORE help.

But if the PJ had agreed to the original request for a joint investigation why would SY need to send any further letters of request?

Back to top Go down

Post by Mirage on 11.01.14 10:21

dantezebu wrote:
@Seek truth wrote:
@Pershing36 wrote:

It says MORE help.

But if the PJ had agreed to the original request for a joint investigation why would SY need to send any further letters of request?

Perhaps HH has told Grange to re-think their strategy with the furore surrounding the MET at the moment. Seems a sensible course of action under the changed circumstances.

Mirage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 11.01.14 10:34

@Seek truth wrote:
@Pershing36 wrote:

It says MORE help.
I think you are right Seek Truth.  More help.

IIRC the first request was for help re. "Tractor Man".   May be wrong but I think Joana M did a piece about it.

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 11.01.14 10:47

@debs wrote:
@uppatoffee wrote:Analysis of mobile phone calls indicates three men made a large number of telephone calls to each in the hours after Madeleine was reported missing from her holiday flat in the Algarve.
How do the police know the mobile phone numbers of the burglars? Are they in yellow pages these days under "burglars"? Can't believe that burglars use contracted pay monthly phones anyway, they would use PAYG, so nobody would know whose phones they are would they?

That`s what I want to know debs.   Does it mean they must have had phones on contracts for the police to have traced them?

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.01.14 11:16

@plebgate wrote:
@Seek truth wrote:
@Pershing36 wrote:

It says MORE help.
I think you are right Seek Truth.  More help.

IIRC the first request was for help re. "Tractor Man".   May be wrong but I think Joana M did a piece about it.

Yep, first request was Tractorman, now duly dismissed (note the way the article insinuates he remains the PD's main suspect ffs) now they want help with the 3 burglars nonsense.

This must be their new strategy, pester the PD like annoying little gnats so they have to detract from their own investigation to fulfil some random official request from the Brits that has no bearing on the case whatsoever.

What next? Official request 3: Can the PD break off their enquiries to search all barns in a 10 mile radius for a towel with an Aztec pattern?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.01.14 11:27

Is there a formal statement from the police saying that they are looking for 3 burglars?

Back to top Go down

Post by Tangled Web on 11.01.14 11:33

Poe wrote:Is there a formal statement from the police saying that they are looking for 3 burglars?

No, because they're not. It's nonsense.

Tangled Web

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11.01.14 11:49

Poe wrote:Is there a formal statement from the police saying that they are looking for 3 burglars?

No, but the Times refers to no 'source' as in 'A source tell us that SY believe...' etc, but refer to SY direct. As in 'SY believe...' If the Met weren't happy with the contents of the article the Times could be on a sticky wicket as the wording infers that this is no what they 'think' SY are concluding, but wht SY 'are' concluding.

The wording makes me think this is what SY are happy to have us believe, let's see if they distance themselves from the article. After all, the Telegraph's article was worded very differently.

I'm much happier to believe SY are investigating 3 suspects and not 3 burglars. But I'm afraid I have very little faith any more.

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum