The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Sunday Times apology

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sunday Times apology

Post by russiandoll on 31.12.13 22:53

I will take this guy at face value........look at that expression, a picture painting a thousand words imo  . You go Redwood !

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 31.12.13 23:00

@plebgate wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:
@Okeydokey wrote:
dantezebu wrote:Both quotes from OTH on the subject of the Gaspars statements:

"But suppose you made a statement like the Gaspar one and you realised by now that it was just a big misunderstanding (guys can be very silly when they've had a few drinks), how would you feel that your original statement has been sent around the world for everyone to read? Not even a retraction would repair the damage between you and your (former) friends"

"The problem that someone may decide not to go to the police with their suspicions for fear of the fact that, if they are wrong, it may have terrible repercussions when that statement is made public and they are outed as a witness, as happened in this case when it was shelved"

I don't know who he is or what he does, but what was this all about?

guys being silly???
Gaspars made a mistake?
terrible repercusions?? for who?

All sounds a little personal to me.

Yes OTH seems very concerned about the effects of such statements being made public. But he/she doesn't seem to have any concern about the effects of Team McCann's various statements on the lives of others e.g. Amaral.  And oddly for a UK media person, he/she  shows absolutely no concern about the use of secret court orders in this case. Once again I invite OTH to condemn the secret court order (made when the McCanns were still arguidos) instructing all official agencies to co-operate with them (this order was revealed during the McCanns v Leics Police case).

Why is OTH on here?

Even Cristobell admits that she can't name anything 'positive' he has brought here, she simply says she has high hopes because he says he is a journalist.

To those who will no doubt accuse me of being unfair, sarcastic, beastly to newbies etc. etc., I have to admit that I have a very low threshold for time-wasters
and we all know who they are TB.   So, so tiresome.

I would never take anyone at face value either on internet or real life.   No way Jose.

You would think someone with intellect would never take anyone at face value screen name or real name, but apparently NOT.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 31.12.13 23:05

@russiandoll wrote:I will take this guy at face value........look at that expression, a picture painting a thousand words imo  . You go Redwood !

I dont take every word he uttered deadpan-like at face value, but I have faith he will do his job properly deadpan face and all.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hongkong Phooey on 31.12.13 23:20

@aiyoyo wrote:
@russiandoll wrote:I will take this guy at face value........look at that expression, a picture painting a thousand words imo  . You go Redwood !

I dont take every word he uttered deadpan-like at face value, but I have faith he will do his job properly deadpan face and all.
What do you base this faith on aiyoyo? I think the strings are being pulled at a much higher level, however with the Portuguese re-opening the case it may be a bit more difficult to mop up and close (as such).

Hongkong Phooey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 31.12.13 23:24

Looks like a conflicted individual to me.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.12.13 23:25

IMO there's not going to be a "mop-up". There's a genuine effort to solve this case, I think. To be on the safe side, though, I'd just advise people getting close, maybe not take a walk in the woods until it's over  winkwink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 31.12.13 23:26

Can you blame him? He hasn't blinked since the beginning of October…..you'd look peed off too!!

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.12.13 23:29

@aiyoyo wrote:
@Daisy wrote:
@Woofer wrote:@ Daisy -  What does "fill ya boots" mean?  I`ve never heard it before - is it a Yorkshire term?
I can't claim it as a Yorkshire saying Woofer, not sure where it originates (can't be arsed looking) but it means Knock yourself out, Get your fill, that sort of thing. Nothing disrespectful you understand.  smilie

I understand. Something to do with having to take it at face value right ? big grin 
Here in East Yorkshire "Fill my boots" is a common expression. My husband's cousin is a prolific and (in?)famous antiques dealer locally. When I spoke to him in the summer he was talking about an antiques fair he was heading down to over the weekend. "I'm off down to Newark to fill me boots", he beamed, rubbing his hands together. Round these parts it means 'get rich quick' or to find oneself overflowing with too much treasure to carry. I.e., after cramming your pockets with loot and carrying as much as you can, you resort to 'filling your boots' with even more.  glee 

Sorry,  offtopic

Back to top Go down

Post by Cristobell on 31.12.13 23:31

That is a very determined face and scary I would imagine to anyone with something to hide. I felt a distinct change in tone when they did the Crimewatch update, and that picture does indeed speak a thousand words.

Cristobell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.12.13 23:33

@ Dee Coy
Don't apologise. It IS very entertaining for non native speakers to get a grab of the English  expressions  yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hongkong Phooey on 31.12.13 23:36

@Cristobell wrote:

That is a very determined face and scary I would imagine to anyone with something to hide. I felt a distinct change in tone when they did the Crimewatch update, and that picture does indeed speak a thousand words.

What sort of expression were you guys expecting, the man is a fairly high ranking police officer working on a very high profile case. The deadpan give nothing away/extremely serious face is par for the course, what else could he realistically do, smile?

Hongkong Phooey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 31.12.13 23:40

@Hongkong Phooey wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

That is a very determined face and scary I would imagine to anyone with something to hide.  I felt a distinct change in tone when they did the Crimewatch update, and that picture does indeed speak a thousand words.

What sort of expression were you guys expecting, the man is a fairly high ranking police officer working on a very high profile case. The deadpan give nothing away/extremely serious face is par for the course, what else could he realistically do, smile?

Yeah, why not? "Others" managed it a mere few days after a major trauma. There are photos to prove it. Go on Andy, show us yer knashers!

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by russiandoll on 31.12.13 23:40

That is not deadpan to me, but a face that expresses determination and resolve. Something in the eyes and the set of the mouth. No I did not expect a smile but that to me is not a neutral expression. Just my opinion as always. !

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate,
contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and
unrealistic.
~John F. Kennedy

russiandoll

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bobbin on 31.12.13 23:40

@Hongkong Phooey wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

That is a very determined face and scary I would imagine to anyone with something to hide.  I felt a distinct change in tone when they did the Crimewatch update, and that picture does indeed speak a thousand words.

Always look into the eyes. That's where you see the soul. I agree he looks conflicted, but only in so far as he has a very difficult thing to face. The whole stance has been 'favour the McCanns' and he has to break the (bad) news.

ETA my post crossed with yours russiandoll... yes, same observation, it's in the eyes.

bobbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31.12.13 23:42

@Hongkong something

It's an interesting mixture of facial expressions.
However ... now that even the French local have decided, that it's time to stop fireworks and my dogs have settled down again, I beg to take my leave and go have some sleep too.
So, I'll be back tomorrow :-)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hongkong Phooey on 31.12.13 23:45

@bobbin wrote:
@Hongkong Phooey wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

Always look into the eyes. That's where you see the soul. I agree he looks conflicted, but only in so far as he has a very difficult thing to face. The whole stance has been 'favour the McCanns' and he has to break the (bad) news.

I sincerely hope you guys are right however I have serious doubts that truth and justice will prevail.

OT Happy New Year to one and all, hopefully we will see justice for Maddie and victory for Amaral

Hongkong Phooey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 31.12.13 23:51

@Daisy wrote:
@Woofer wrote:@ Daisy -  What does "fill ya boots" mean?  I`ve never heard it before - is it a Yorkshire term?
I can't claim it as a Yorkshire saying Woofer, not sure where it originates (can't be arsed looking) but it means Knock yourself out, Get your fill, that sort of thing. Nothing disrespectful you understand.  smilie

Ta Daisy........ No, I`m sure you`d never be disrespectful.   smilie

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 31.12.13 23:51

Dee Coy wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:
@Daisy wrote:

I understand. Something to do with having to take it at face value right ? big grin 
Here in East Yorkshire "Fill my boots" is a common expression. My husband's cousin is a prolific and (in?)famous antiques dealer locally. When I spoke to him in the summer he was talking about an antiques fair he was heading down to over the weekend. "I'm off down to Newark to fill me boots", he beamed, rubbing his hands together. Round these parts it means 'get rich quick' or to find oneself overflowing with too much treasure to carry. I.e., after cramming your pockets with loot and carrying as much as you can, you resort to 'filling your boots' with even more.  glee 

Sorry,  offtopic
Eeek! well I didn't quite mean it that way. But looking into the etymology of the saying it is very varied. I read another suggestion that said:

"The phrase originated with the English Cavaliers, who wore thigh-high riding boots. When drinking, rather than stepping outside to relieve himself, a Cavalier apparently had the option of doing so into his boots. Thus, "filling his boots" meant he could drink all he wanted without leaving the table."   big grin

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Smokeandmirrors on 31.12.13 23:53

puke 

Smokeandmirrors

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 31.12.13 23:54

@Woofer wrote:
@Daisy wrote:

You seem to have a problem with me Woofer? Can we sort it out now instead of carrying it into a new year?

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Woofer on 01.01.14 0:12

@Daisy wrote:
@Woofer wrote:
@Daisy wrote:

You seem to have a problem with me Woofer? Can we sort it out now instead of carrying it into a new year?

Not at all Daisy. PM me if you want, but no probs at all.

Woofer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 01.01.14 0:18

@Hongkong Phooey wrote:
@aiyoyo wrote:

What do you base this faith on aiyoyo? I think the strings are being pulled at a much higher level, however with the Portuguese re-opening the case it may be a bit more difficult to mop up and close (as such).

Well, on the silly belief that the eyes of an enlightened person do not blink.

OK, seriously, he's obliged to, by virtue of his pledge.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 01.01.14 2:35

@bobbin wrote:
@Hongkong Phooey wrote:
@Cristobell wrote:

ETA my post crossed with yours russiandoll... yes, same observation, it's in the eyes.

If you're right I will be sending you mucho congrats on your face reading in due course. But not just yet.

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Okeydokey on 01.01.14 2:37

Happy New Year to one and all Mr
Let's all forgive each other's occasional tetchiness. People are rightly passionate about this case for a whole host of reasons.   big grin

Okeydokey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 01.01.14 6:46

@Okeydokey wrote:Happy New Year to one and all Mr
Let's all forgive each other's occasional tetchiness. People are rightly passionate about this case for a whole host of reasons.   big grin

I agree,happy new year to all,and hopefully Justice for Madeleine

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum