The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Casey5 on 06.01.14 19:13

I read on another forum that the plaintiffs and defenders will all be liable to pay their own costs, legal fees etc. but the winner/s can petition the courts for damages  and a judge has the final say on this.
So Mr Amaral and his co-defenders, if they win, will have to petition the court for any payments from the McCanns, which will accrue even more legal fees for both sides.
It seems in Portugal, like here, only the lawyers win.

Casey5

Posts : 321
Reputation : 18
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by ultimaThule on 06.01.14 19:21

Can you provide a link to that forum please, Casey?

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Casey5 on 06.01.14 19:29

@ultimaThule wrote:Can you provide a link to that forum please, Casey?
I could but it's a closed forum so you wouldn't be able to access it if you're not a member. I'll p.m you.

Casey5

Posts : 321
Reputation : 18
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by ultimaThule on 06.01.14 19:39

In that case, could you please reproduce here any posts you've read which suggest that winners must pay their own costs and petition for damages in, presumably, a separate hearing?

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by SomethingStinks on 06.01.14 20:23

Hi!
At what time will the hearing take place tomorrow?  thinking

new

SomethingStinks

Posts : 8
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by aiyoyo on 06.01.14 20:26

Dunno exactly!
Normal office starting hours I'd presume, maybe about 9.00 clockish I'd say.

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by ultimaThule on 06.01.14 20:38

Assembly at 9.30am seems to be the order of the day but the proceedings rarely get underway until c10am.   

I assume Izzy will complete her arguments in the morning session but as there are 4 lawyers for the defence it remains to be seen whether it will be necessary for the trial to run into another day. 

As there'll be no need for interpreter services the proceedings should move on at a quicker pace than was set in the first few days and it's be hoped all of the closing arguments will be heard in full tomorrow, after which it will be a case of waiting for judgement to be handed down at some future date.

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by aiyoyo on 06.01.14 21:01

@ultimaThule wrote:Assembly at 9.30am seems to be the order of the day but the proceedings rarely get underway until c10am.   

I assume Izzy will complete her arguments in the morning session but as there are 4 lawyers for the defence it remains to be seen whether it will be necessary for the trial to run into another day. 

As there'll be no need for interpreter services the proceedings should move on at a quicker pace than was set in the first few days and it's be hoped all of the closing arguments will be heard in full tomorrow, after which it will be a case of waiting for judgement to be handed down at some future date.

I suppose if ID doesn't take up the whole morning, and provided lunch break is kept short, then maybe every side can have their argument done with within the day.
Possibly not all the four lawyers from defendants side will give long summary.
Main one will come from Amaral's lawyer.  
The defendants are taken collectively and not individually, as such a verdict against Mccanns is effectively one in favour of all the defendants collectively.
I, too, believe tomorrow is a full day given to closing arguments , and a verdict will be forthcoming in the next few weeks.

The Mccanns as we know won't be there tomorrow.  But is their presence obligatory on Verdict Day ?

aiyoyo

Posts : 9611
Reputation : 318
Join date : 2009-11-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by sallypelt on 06.01.14 23:16

I don't know if it is official, but it's being stated that libel trial has been postponed

Edited to say there's nothing official

sallypelt

Posts : 3303
Reputation : 522
Join date : 2012-11-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tangled Web on 06.01.14 23:40

@sallypelt wrote:I don't know if it is official, but it's being stated that libel trial has been postponed

Edited to say there's nothing official

I've seen this too and posted in 'News' as I hadn't seen it here, sorry. Looks like more waiting!

Tangled Web

Posts : 303
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by ultimaThule on 07.01.14 0:22

Portugal has declared 3 days of national mourning for their hero, Eusebio. 

I daresay the date of tomorrow's postponed hearing will be made available in due course.

In the meantime, it's winter and it's to be hoped the season of colds and flu doesn't leave any of the 5 sets of lawyers, 4 defendants, court officials, and, of course, the judge, indisposed which may cause a further delay.

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by SomethingStinks on 07.01.14 3:11

@postponed:
Nevertheless thanks a lot for answering my question!

SomethingStinks

Posts : 8
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by plebgate on 07.01.14 8:58

@Portia wrote:And also: if someone else is picking up the tabs, wouldn't this be income for the Mecs, and wouldn't they, as a consequence, be taxed in person?
Now there's a thought.  smilie

plebgate

Posts : 5444
Reputation : 1159
Join date : 2013-02-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Guest on 07.01.14 10:09

@plebgate wrote:
@Portia wrote:And also: if someone else is picking up the tabs, wouldn't this be income for the Mecs, and wouldn't they, as a consequence, be taxed in person?
Now there's a thought.  smilie

Maybe Enid could be persuaded to shed some light on this, if she's still around?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tangled Web on 07.01.14 10:42

It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.

Tweet from Jerry Lawton
https://mobile.twitter.com/JerryLawton/status/420499345369497600

Tangled Web

Posts : 303
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by tiny on 07.01.14 10:56

@Tangled Web wrote:It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.

Tweet from Jerry Lawton
https://mobile.twitter.com/JerryLawton/status/420499345369497600

Wonder when this last minute was

tiny

Posts : 2274
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Guest on 07.01.14 10:57

@Tangled Web wrote:It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.

Tweet from Jerry Lawton
https://mobile.twitter.com/JerryLawton/status/420499345369497600


Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 39m
#mccann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tangled Web on 07.01.14 11:08

Thanks Candyfloss...I'm a bit of a technophobe!

Tangled Web

Posts : 303
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by PeterMac on 07.01.14 14:47

[quote="candyfloss"]
@Tangled Web wrote:It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.
Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton  39m  
#mccann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute
He has been sent a lot of important ones over the last few weeks.
Or so I have been told !  big grin 

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by tiny on 07.01.14 14:49

@PeterMac wrote:
candyfloss wrote:
@Tangled Web wrote:It appears GA's lawyers submitted extra documents at the last minute.
Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton  39m  
#mccann libel trial adjourned to date to be fixed after Goncalo Amaral's lawyers submitted more documents at last minute
He has been sent a lot of important ones over the last few weeks.
Or so I have been told !   big grin 

 big grin Who ever sent them, clapping

tiny

Posts : 2274
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2010-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tangled Web on 07.01.14 15:06

Châtelaine wrote:@ ultimaThule

""any 'lid' is well and truly off and IMO the 'shelling out' of 'all this money' has one purpose which is to bring the perpertrators of a heinous crime against a 3 year old child to justice."
****
Amen to that, UT

I agree. If the plan was a whitewash then this could've been achieved much more quietly. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I like Andy Redwood. I've been watching interviews with him from when they announced the 'review' and a few times, he slipped up and said 'this investigation' and then corrected himself to say 'this investigation REVIEW'. I think it's always been an investigation but they aren't going to let the prime suspects know what they're really up to are they?

Tangled Web

Posts : 303
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by bobbin on 07.01.14 15:26

@Tangled Web wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:@ ultimaThule

""any 'lid' is well and truly off and IMO the 'shelling out' of 'all this money' has one purpose which is to bring the perpertrators of a heinous crime against a 3 year old child to justice."
****
Amen to that, UT

I agree. If the plan was a whitewash then this could've been achieved much more quietly. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I like Andy Redwood. I've been watching interviews with him from when they announced the 'review' and a few times, he slipped up and said 'this investigation' and then corrected himself to say 'this investigation REVIEW'. I think it's always been an investigation but they aren't going to let the prime suspects know what they're really up to are they?

I'll fight you for him  Mrs rotfl 
No, seriously, I think he is fast becoming one rare, cool dude.
A whitewash, like so many before, could have gone away quietly ages ago, and even leaving the public 'knowing' that it's a whitewash.
There have been many examples lately, where inquiries have come up with the most blatant and truth defying dismissals...Kelly, etc. etc.
When Andy Redwood says, to discover what actually happened to Madeleine McCann, I hear and see a genuine truth in his manner.
I will be most sincerely shocked if I have got him wrongly assessed.
I do not think he is anyone's fool, and I do not think he will suborn his core beliefs to a higher pressure.  Mr 

bobbin

Posts : 2030
Reputation : 119
Join date : 2011-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by Tangled Web on 07.01.14 16:41

@bobbin wrote:
@Tangled Web wrote:
Châtelaine wrote:@ ultimaThule

""any 'lid' is well and truly off and IMO the 'shelling out' of 'all this money' has one purpose which is to bring the perpertrators of a heinous crime against a 3 year old child to justice."
****
Amen to that, UT

I agree. If the plan was a whitewash then this could've been achieved much more quietly. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that I like Andy Redwood. I've been watching interviews with him from when they announced the 'review' and a few times, he slipped up and said 'this investigation' and then corrected himself to say 'this investigation REVIEW'. I think it's always been an investigation but they aren't going to let the prime suspects know what they're really up to are they?

I'll fight you for him  Mrs rotfl 
No, seriously, I think he is fast becoming one rare, cool dude.
A whitewash, like so many before, could have gone away quietly ages ago, and even leaving the public 'knowing' that it's a whitewash.
There have been many examples lately, where inquiries have come up with the most blatant and truth defying dismissals...Kelly, etc. etc.
When Andy Redwood says, to discover what actually happened to Madeleine McCann, I hear and see a genuine truth in his manner.
I will be most sincerely shocked if I have got him wrongly assessed.


I do not think he is anyone's fool, and I do not think he will suborn his core beliefs to a higher pressure.  Mr 

Let us hope he doesn't let us down then Bobbin or you're welcome to him winkwink

Tangled Web

Posts : 303
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2013-11-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LIBEL TRIAL DISCUSSION HERE

Post by ultimaThule on 08.01.14 11:50


  daffodil on Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:10 pm
Sincere apologies UT.   I have done it again, reproduced something that has been posted already     Please delete anything I post, it takes me ages to c/p and I get a bit behind !!

I fear posting - all done with good intent - and I do a search beforehand but still mess up     
I shall withdraw with dignity and just keep reading/researching, my opinions and questions I shall keep to myself !
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Having just begun to re-read this truncated thread from page 1 it seems I overlooked your above post, daffodil, and wish to assure you that,  in adding a link to another thread on the same subject, I meant no criticism whatosever of you - if anyone should apologise it's me for not having made this clear at the time.

I'm immensely relieved you haven't withdrawn because of my frustration when there are a number of threads on the same subject - not, I hasten to add, that this is any complaint about the way in which this forum is maintained as the diversity of the topics and threads therein is what, for me, sets it apart from other sites dedicated to the case of Madeleine McCann.  

Please accept my belated apology for any upset or embarrassment I may unwittingly have caused you and please don't stop adding your valuable input to this forum.

ultimaThule

Posts : 3355
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2013-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

has the libel trial been adjourned until a given date?

Post by haroldd2 on 19.02.14 20:45

Has the libel trial been adjourned until a given date? If so, until when? If not, is it usual in Portuguese civil trials not to give an adjournment date?

Was a reason given for adjourning?

I take the view that if the McCanns lose the libel case they'll be wide open to people suing them in the English civil courts (and indeed in other countries) for misleading them into donating money. A loss to GA will not necessarily give grounds for a criminal prosecution for fraud, but it will for a civil action for tort.

Might there have been some diplomatic intervention?

Presumably if the case is being tried by a judge rather than a jury, then there's no reason for any legal arguments to be in secret - unless someone, who may not necessarily be either of the parties in the case, has made a good case to the contrary.

haroldd2

Posts : 122
Reputation : 44
Join date : 2014-01-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum