The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by Tony Bennett on 22.12.13 9:06


____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13957
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ian Learmonth gets very angry

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.01.14 22:11


Just 24 hours after the above article appeared in the Mail on Sunday (on 22 December), retiring Kent Police Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, ordered one Mrs Beverley Newman, Head of Kent Police Legal Services Department, to write a blistering two-page letter to Les Balkwell, threatening him with a libel claim.

Les Balkwell was quoted in the article as follows:

QUOTE

Les Balkwell, who has campaigned relentlessly for justice for his son, said: ‘I made my complaint in June and, six months later, Ann Barnes has not even found an outside force to take on the investigation. I am not surprised to see more attempts to cover up the truth about my son’s death. Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex. He should not have been allowed to retire.’

UNQUOTE

It might be thought that - given that Les has spent nearly 12 years and tens of thousands of pounds trying to find out the truth of his son's death, and along the way has obtained two emphatic IPCC reports (29 June 2009 and 29 January 2012) slating the police for a 'seriously flawed' investigation and upholding 26 complaints of misconduct against eight senior police officers - his comments were relativley mild.

'Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex' hardly seems the most offensive of comments, still less 'libellous'.

But despite only having days left until his retirement after 40 years in the police force, Learmonth clearly did not arrive for work on the Monday morning before Christmas (23rd)  in a happy  fame of mind.

When the postman arrived after Christmas with the first post-Christmas letters, Les Balkwell opened a letter from Kent Police, dated Monday 23 December, to find himself facing the possible 'issue of defamation proceedings against you'.

The letter then proceeded to reel off a string of accusations against Les Balkwell, accusing him of:

* being insulting
* being abusing
* being malicious
* causing Learmonth significant harassment
* causing Learmonth alarm, and
* causing Learmonth distress.

These were carefully chosen words extracted from Section 4A of the Public Order Act and Section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act.

Committing any of the six above actions is a crime - and a crimianl investigation of Les Balkwell 'will now be considered', says Mrs Newman ominously.

Strangely, the Chief Constable has sent no legal letter to the editor and owners of the Mail on Sunday. His only target appears to be Les Balkwell.

Finally, speaking as if he leads a world power and has just vanquished his opponents, the letter from Ian Learmonth ends by demanding 'reparations'.

It could get very nasty.

Ian Learmonth's reign as Kent Police Chief began in 2010 and formally ends at midnight tonight (4 January).

It has not been a good year for Learmonth.

Last spring, a devastating report from Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary basically accused Kent Police of systematically fiddling the Kent crime figures.

It had apparently been going on for years, just to make Kent Police's crime figures look good, and it appeared that Ian Learmonth had done nothing to stop what he admitted were 'distortions':
      
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22951540

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13957
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by bobbin on 04.01.14 22:31

@Tony Bennett wrote:

Just 24 hours after the above article appeared in the Mail on Sunday (on 22 December), retiring Kent Police Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, ordered one Mrs Beverley Newman, Head of Kent Police Legal Services Department, to write a blistering two-page letter to Les Balkwell, threatening him with a libel claim.

Les Balkwell was quoted in the article as follows:

QUOTE

Les Balkwell, who has campaigned relentlessly for justice for his son, said: ‘I made my complaint in June and, six months later, Ann Barnes has not even found an outside force to take on the investigation. I am not surprised to see more attempts to cover up the truth about my son’s death. Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex. He should not have been allowed to retire.’

UNQUOTE

It might be thought that - given that Les has spent nearly 12 years and tens of thousands of pounds trying to find out the truth of his son's death, and along the way has obtained two emphatic IPCC reports (29 June 2009 and 29 January 2012) slating the police for a 'seriously flawed' investigation and upholding 26 complaints of misconduct against eight senior police officers - his comments were relativley mild.

'Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex' hardly seems the most offensive of comments, still less 'libellous'.

But despite only having days left until his retirement after 40 years in the police force, Learmonth clearly did not arrive for work on the Monday morning before Christmas (23rd)  in a happy  fame of mind.

When the postman arrived after Christmas with the first post-Christmas letters, Les Balkwell opened a letter from Kent Police, dated Monday 23 December, to find himself facing the possible 'issue of defamation proceedings against you'.

The letter then proceeded to reel off a string of accusations against Les Balkwell, accusing him of:

* being insulting
* being abusing
* being malicious
* causing Learmonth significant harassment
* causing Learmonth alarm, and
* causing Learmonth distress.

These were carefully chosen words extracted from Section 4A of the Public Order Act and Section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act.

Committing any of the six above actions is a crime - and a crimianl investigation of Les Balkwell 'will now be considered', says Mrs Newman ominously.

Strangely, the Chief Constable has sent no legal letter to the editor and owners of the Mail on Sunday. His only target appears to be Les Balkwell.

Finally, speaking as if he leads a world power and has just vanquished his opponents, the letter from Ian Learmonth ends by demanding 'reparations'.

It could get very nasty.

Ian Learmonth's reign as Kent Police Chief began in 2010 and formally ends at midnight tonight (4 January).

It has not been a good year for Learmonth.

Last spring, a devastating report from Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary basically accused Kent Police of systematically fiddling the Kent crime figures.

It had apparently been going on for years, just to make Kent Police's crime figures look good, and it appeared that Ian Learmonth had done nothing to stop what he admitted were 'distortions':
      
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22951540

Just a thought Tony, the newspaper wrote those words, not Les Balkwell in a publicly printed letter himself.
Does this make a difference. Otherwise, this is typical bullying tactics and menace. Does this have any weight. How is this message of using such bullying tactics getting out.

bobbin

Posts : 2030
Reputation : 119
Join date : 2011-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by Tony Bennett on 04.01.14 22:45

@bobbin wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:

Just 24 hours after the above article appeared in the Mail on Sunday (on 22 December), retiring Kent Police Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, ordered one Mrs Beverley Newman, Head of Kent Police Legal Services Department, to write a blistering two-page letter to Les Balkwell, threatening him with a libel claim.

Les Balkwell was quoted in the article as follows:

QUOTE

Les Balkwell, who has campaigned relentlessly for justice for his son, said: ‘I made my complaint in June and, six months later, Ann Barnes has not even found an outside force to take on the investigation. I am not surprised to see more attempts to cover up the truth about my son’s death. Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex. He should not have been allowed to retire.’

UNQUOTE

It might be thought that - given that Les has spent nearly 12 years and tens of thousands of pounds trying to find out the truth of his son's death, and along the way has obtained two emphatic IPCC reports (29 June 2009 and 29 January 2012) slating the police for a 'seriously flawed' investigation and upholding 26 complaints of misconduct against eight senior police officers - his comments were relativley mild.

'Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex' hardly seems the most offensive of comments, still less 'libellous'.

But despite only having days left until his retirement after 40 years in the police force, Learmonth clearly did not arrive for work on the Monday morning before Christmas (23rd)  in a happy  fame of mind.

When the postman arrived after Christmas with the first post-Christmas letters, Les Balkwell opened a letter from Kent Police, dated Monday 23 December, to find himself facing the possible 'issue of defamation proceedings against you'.

The letter then proceeded to reel off a string of accusations against Les Balkwell, accusing him of:

* being insulting
* being abusing
* being malicious
* causing Learmonth significant harassment
* causing Learmonth alarm, and
* causing Learmonth distress.

These were carefully chosen words extracted from Section 4A of the Public Order Act and Section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act.

Committing any of the six above actions is a crime - and a crimianl investigation of Les Balkwell 'will now be considered', says Mrs Newman ominously.

Strangely, the Chief Constable has sent no legal letter to the editor and owners of the Mail on Sunday. His only target appears to be Les Balkwell.

Finally, speaking as if he leads a world power and has just vanquished his opponents, the letter from Ian Learmonth ends by demanding 'reparations'.

It could get very nasty.

Ian Learmonth's reign as Kent Police Chief began in 2010 and formally ends at midnight tonight (4 January).

It has not been a good year for Learmonth.

Last spring, a devastating report from Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary basically accused Kent Police of systematically fiddling the Kent crime figures.

It had apparently been going on for years, just to make Kent Police's crime figures look good, and it appeared that Ian Learmonth had done nothing to stop what he admitted were 'distortions':
      
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22951540

Just a thought Tony, the newspaper wrote those words, not Les Balkwell in a publicly printed letter himself. Does this make a difference? [NEXT BIT DELETED AT THE REQUEST OF bobbin] 

bobbin, thank you very much. By the way, be careful what you say about Learmonth, he is clearly a man now revealed to have a litigious mindset. 

Efforts are being made to give this bullying letter more coverage, but I cannot say any more than this just now.

Please look out for a private message shortly

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13957
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by bobbin on 04.01.14 22:53

@Tony Bennett wrote:
@bobbin wrote:
@Tony Bennett wrote:

Just 24 hours after the above article appeared in the Mail on Sunday (on 22 December), retiring Kent Police Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, ordered one Mrs Beverley Newman, Head of Kent Police Legal Services Department, to write a blistering two-page letter to Les Balkwell, threatening him with a libel claim.

Les Balkwell was quoted in the article as follows:

QUOTE

Les Balkwell, who has campaigned relentlessly for justice for his son, said: ‘I made my complaint in June and, six months later, Ann Barnes has not even found an outside force to take on the investigation. I am not surprised to see more attempts to cover up the truth about my son’s death. Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex. He should not have been allowed to retire.’

UNQUOTE

It might be thought that - given that Les has spent nearly 12 years and tens of thousands of pounds trying to find out the truth of his son's death, and along the way has obtained two emphatic IPCC reports (29 June 2009 and 29 January 2012) slating the police for a 'seriously flawed' investigation and upholding 26 complaints of misconduct against eight senior police officers - his comments were relativley mild.

'Mr Learmonth has questions to answer about his role in Essex' hardly seems the most offensive of comments, still less 'libellous'.

But despite only having days left until his retirement after 40 years in the police force, Learmonth clearly did not arrive for work on the Monday morning before Christmas (23rd)  in a happy  fame of mind.

When the postman arrived after Christmas with the first post-Christmas letters, Les Balkwell opened a letter from Kent Police, dated Monday 23 December, to find himself facing the possible 'issue of defamation proceedings against you'.

The letter then proceeded to reel off a string of accusations against Les Balkwell, accusing him of:

* being insulting
* being abusing
* being malicious
* causing Learmonth significant harassment
* causing Learmonth alarm, and
* causing Learmonth distress.

These were carefully chosen words extracted from Section 4A of the Public Order Act and Section 2 of the Protection from Harassment Act.

Committing any of the six above actions is a crime - and a crimianl investigation of Les Balkwell 'will now be considered', says Mrs Newman ominously.

Strangely, the Chief Constable has sent no legal letter to the editor and owners of the Mail on Sunday. His only target appears to be Les Balkwell.

Finally, speaking as if he leads a world power and has just vanquished his opponents, the letter from Ian Learmonth ends by demanding 'reparations'.

It could get very nasty.

Ian Learmonth's reign as Kent Police Chief began in 2010 and formally ends at midnight tonight (4 January).

It has not been a good year for Learmonth.

Last spring, a devastating report from Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary basically accused Kent Police of systematically fiddling the Kent crime figures.

It had apparently been going on for years, just to make Kent Police's crime figures look good, and it appeared that Ian Learmonth had done nothing to stop what he admitted were 'distortions':
      
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22951540

Just a thought Tony, the newspaper wrote those words, not Les Balkwell in a publicly printed letter himself.
Does this make a difference. Otherwise, this is typical bullying tactics and menace. Does this have any weight. How is this message of such bullying tactics getting out.

bobbin, thank you very much. By the way, be careful what you say about Learmonth, he is clearly a man now revealed to have a litigious mindset. 

Efforts are being made to give this bullying letter more coverage, but I cannot say any more than this just now.

Please look out for a private message shortly

Tony I've p.m.d you.

bobbin

Posts : 2030
Reputation : 119
Join date : 2011-12-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Ian Learmonth's 28 years in Essex Office, 'Cuffing', and the Lee Balkwell investigation

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.01.14 12:02

The two reports below refer to the systematic fiddling of crime figures by the police. Both reports suggest that this practice is widespread and approved by senior officers. Kent Police, led until yesterday by Ian Learmonth since 2010, was recently exposed (see post up the thread) by HM Inspector of Constabulary as one of those forces that had systematically distorted its crime figures to make itself look good. There is no getting away from this simple fact: this is dishonest conduct by senior police officers and those they employ further down the ranks (who, one supposes, are ‘only obeying orders’).

Ian Learmonth has been familiar with the practice of ‘cuffing’ (see below) for quite a long time. Someone I’ve known in Essex for over 30 years, and who was a District Councillor on Harlow District Council for many years, used to sit on the Harlow Crime and Disorder Leadership group in 2000 to 2002. Alongside him at many of those meetings was Ian Learmonth. 

Learmonth, whose Kent Police force has been investigating the death of Lee Balkwell since August 2010, was the Chief Superintendent in Harlow at the time, as his Wikipedia entry explains:

“His career moved from operational policing to working at the Essex Police HQ in Chelmsford, working on IT projects before being promoted in 1995 as Chief Inspector for Operations back at Harlow. He then worked as temporary Superintendent for the Operations Division (Dog Section, Force Support Unit, Marine Unit, Air Support Unit and Horses). In 1999 he was fully promoted to Superintendent at Stansted Airport, seeing through critical operations involving a Boeing 747 crash and a hijack. Once again he returned to Harlow as Chief Superintendent 2000 and then later as Temporary Assistant Chief Constable (Crime)”.

The current issue in the Balkwell case is whether Kent Police should have agreed to offer his force as an ‘independent’ investigating police force when he had worked for Essex Police for 28 years, and clearly knew, or even had managerial responsibility for, some or maybe all of the eight senior Essex Police officers subsequently found guilty of 26 counts of misconduct by the IPCC reports of 2009 and 2012. The two forces are in any event strongly interconnected with joint working at many levels.

The recording of crime statistics was brought up by my ex-Councillor friend at meetings of the Harlow Crime and Disorder Leadership Group. He has briefly explained to me how the practice of ‘cuffing’ worked in Harlow.

Police officers were given a ‘tick list’ of 10 questions to answer in relation to any possible crime. If the tick list produced 7 ticks (‘Yes’), the incident was recorded as a crime. If there were 6 or fewer, it was not recorded as a crime. Basically what I was told is that crimes that attracted 7 or more ‘Yeses’ were those that were easier to ‘solve’. That way, so my contact says, the crime clear-up rates for Harlow improved significantly.

In recording this information here, I do not of course know how extensively ‘cuffing’ or other crime fiddling practices were going on in Harlow on Ian Learmonth’s watch as Chief Superintendent in Harlow. In any case, if (and I emphasise the word ‘if’) this practice was going on in Harlow and if Learmonth either knew about it or condoned it, he has always got the defence that he was ‘only obeying orders’ from those higher up the food chain.    

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/6736505/Police-force-tricks-to-fiddle-crime-figures.html

EXTRACT 

The techniques – dubbed "gaming" – are used to create the illusion that fewer crimes are being committed and that a bigger proportion are being solved.

Rodger Patrick, a retired Detective Chief Inspector, claimed that the methods are tacitly approved of by senior officers, police watchdogs and the Home Office.

SNIPPED

The techniques identified by Dr Patrick include:

"Cuffing" – in which officers make crimes disappear from official figures by either recording them as a "false report" or downgrading their seriousness. For example, a robbery in which a mobile phone is stolen with violence or threats of violence is recorded as "theft from the person", which is not classed as a violent crime

++++++++


[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-2Policeforces across England and Wales are routinely manipulating crime statistics inorder to meet targets, a committee of MPs has heard.]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-2Police forces across England and Wales are routinely manipulating crime statistics in order to meet targets, a committee of MPs has heard.[/url]

EXTRACTS:

Police forces across England and Wales are routinely manipulating crime statistics in order to meet targets, a committee of MPs has heard.

A Met Police whistleblower claimed rape and sexual offences were being under-reported by as much as a quarter.

And a former West Midlands chief inspector described practices such as recording thefts as "lost property".

Committee chairman Bernard Jenkin said he was "shocked" by the claims of such manipulation "on such a wide scale".

Metropolitan Police constable James Patrick - who is currently awaiting disciplinary proceedings - told the Commons public administration committee his concerns had begun after he joined the force in 2009.

He had found robberies being logged as "theft snatch" in order to get them "off the books", he said.

After raising his concerns with an assistant commissioner, PC Patrick was moved into a specialist role looking at the measurement of crime levels, where he found disparities between numbers of burglary reports and those finally recorded.

"Burglary is an area where crimes are downgraded or moved into other brackets, such as criminal damage for attempted burglaries, or other types of thefts," he said.

An audit carried out by analysts inside the Met found that "as many as 300 burglaries would disappear within a couple of weeks", he told the committee. Analysing 12 months of data, PC Patrick said he had also found that "the Met had efectively been under-recording rape and serious sexual offences by between 22% and 25%..." 

REST SNIPPED

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13957
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by PeterMac on 05.01.14 13:31

For a fuller understanding of how this has been operating for many years,
see also

http://www.nickdavies.net/1999/02/01/how-police-fiddle-their-crime-figures-and-cheat-the-public/
All about Nottinghamshire.  And one of the reasons I took early retirement.


Edited to add.
From my earliest days on the Force I was part of the process. On learned how to record Crime, with the guidance of one's Tutor Constable and supervised first by the sergeant and then the DI.
When I joined the idea was to record as much crime as possible. Home Office Grant was a function of several measurements and the only thing the Police could influence was Crime.
So it was clear that to get more officers one had to record more crime - and of course to detect it, which was a slightly separate, though linked, issue.
At its height we had 12 Divisions, each with Superintendent, Chief Insp, DI, and so on.
Now there are TWO. Some of the old Superintendent-run Divisions are now Sergeant stations.
Then when they started to pay Chief Constable "by results" one of the results they looked for was Crime REDUCTION.
Shock horror.
For years we had been putting it up, now we had to bring it down.
The Chief Constable rewards by promotion, and so it filters down that good results are a good thing for all concerned
The rest follows inevitably.

As it does in the NHS, and indeed in any public service subjected to an artificial "performance culture."

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by Tony Bennett on 05.01.14 13:46

@PeterMac wrote:For a fuller understanding of how this has been operating for many years,
see also

http://www.nickdavies.net/1999/02/01/how-police-fiddle-their-crime-figures-and-cheat-the-public/

All about Nottinghamshire.  And one of the reasons I took early retirement.

I'm quite stunned to read this.

This was 'institutional dishonesty' from the lowest copper through the Chief Constables of most police forces amd up to the Home Secretary - on a grand scale.

All that was going on apace 15 years ago.

How come it is still going on on a large scale 15 years later, with Chief Constables like Ian Learmonth apparently walking into a job as commander of one of Britain's 'top' police forces, and (as far as we know) doing sod all about it for 4 years?

____________________

                            "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?" - Amelie, May 2007 -  "Maddie's Jammies. Where is Maddie?"


Tony Bennett
Researcher/Moderator

Posts : 13957
Reputation : 2141
Join date : 2009-11-25
Age : 69
Location : Harlow, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MailonSunday today (22 Dec 2013): Did Kent Chief Constable, Ian Learmonth, help to cover up the death of Lee Balkwell whilst he was an Essex Police Officer?

Post by PeterMac on 05.01.14 13:53

Tony, I have just added some more to my previous, which overlapped.
It has been part of the process for a very long time, for the reasons given.
It was the only way to get money out of the Treasury.

____________________


PeterMac
Researcher

Posts : 10170
Reputation : 143
Join date : 2010-12-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum