The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Why are the British media obsessed by Maddie?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why are the British media obsessed by Maddie?

Post by Over The Hill on 27.11.13 19:09

Analysis of the British media's obsession with Maddie in The London Economic:

Media obsession

"The question posed at the start of this feature is “what fuels media obsession with one middle class white girl and its ignorance of so many other similar cases? The answer, I believe, is us."

Over The Hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why are the British media obsessed by Maddie?

Post by Guest on 27.11.13 19:11

@Over The Hill wrote:Analysis of the British media's obssession with Maddie in The London Economic:

Media obsession

"The question posed at the start of this feature is “what fuels media obsession with one middle class white girl and its ignorance of so many other similar cases? The answer, I believe, is us."
WHY ARE WE?

Back to top Go down

Post by Over The Hill on 27.11.13 19:14

If you ask this question, as this magazine has done, your conclusion will depend upon how much you know about the case and how much you believe the media also knows

So the reason we are obsessed may or may not be the same reason that the media are obsessed

But The London Economic thinks it's just to sell newspapers:

"The disappearance of Madeleine McCann is both a press phenomenon and an accurate portrayal of how the media functions. The ordinary middle class McCann family is what made their case perversely extraordinary. It’s relatable and thus the more shocking, despite being commonplace in the context of wider global affairs.

An intriguing question posted on thestudentroom.co.uk is “Would Madeleine McCann get as much attention if she was Black?” The prevailing opinion was, unsurprisingly, no. She is one girl out of hundreds that go missing every year, one student argued, adding that if the rest were given the same amount of exposure, more missing kids would be found.

This is an interesting hypothesis. Media coverage of McCann has undoubtedly fuelled police spending both at home and abroad, suggesting there is a link between what the public reads and what Scotland Yard investigates. It also raises the question of whether the McCann’s should be grateful of the media coverage, despite being publically resentful of it.

After Portuguese police inquiries were shelved in 2008 there was a Home Office-funded review in 2011 following the intervention of David Cameron. Why the Prime Minister intervened in a police case isn’t a mystery; the red top readers are waiting for a response.

The McCann case has been so extensively profiled that new angles and fresh stories can fill our papers for many years to come. On a slow news day it’s these kind of hooks which are regurgitated; an editorial strategy which means we never really hear the full story."

Over The Hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Julchen on 27.11.13 20:54

They aren't any more obsessed with Maddie than with Lady Diana or Britain's got Talent.
They want to make money.
Stories like this or any other Celeb stuff sell.
End of. No sympathy or empathy or whatever for the protagonists or antagonists.
Money is the key.

Jule

Julchen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.11.13 21:14

@Over The Hill wrote:Analysis of the British media's obsession with Maddie in The London Economic:

Media obsession

Speak for yourself, nothing to do with me.  I would like nothing more than this case to be resolved, mostly for the sake of the child but also to get the parents out of the spotlight.

Modern day media concentrate on satiating the appetite of celebrity culture, it's nothing to do with Maddie exclusively but everything to do with selling newspapers and the need for the parents to keep themselves up front.

Back to top Go down

Post by Daisy on 27.11.13 21:20

Gollum wrote:
@Over The Hill wrote:Analysis of the British media's obsession with Maddie in The London Economic:

Media obsession

Speak for yourself, nothing to do with me.  I would like nothing more than this case to be resolved, mostly for the sake of the child but also to get the parents out of the spotlight.

Modern day media concentrate on satiating the appetite of celebrity culture, it's nothing to do with Maddie exclusively but everything to do with selling newspapers and the need for the parents to keep themselves up front.
Ditto!

Unknown

“And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.” 

Friedrich Nietzsche

Daisy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheTruthWillOut on 27.11.13 23:21

I dream the reason the press will not let go of this case is because they know it is/will get resolved..........and pretty soon.

I'll stop dreaming now!big grin

TheTruthWillOut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.11.13 0:30

@TheTruthWillOut wrote:I dream the reason the press will not let go of this case is because they know it is/will get resolved..........and pretty soon.

I'll stop dreaming now!big grin
Wakey!  Wakey!  This is your early morning alarm call beepbeepbeepbeepbeeeeeeeep  Morning!  daft1

Back to top Go down

Post by ultimaThule on 28.11.13 1:59

Over the past couple of weeks the UK media seem to have remarkably reticent on the subject of Madeleine McCann and it seems to me the tabloids have drawn lots, with the Mirror drawing the short straw and having to become little more than a conduit to Rothley Towers. 

Having published an article about last week's hearing in Lisbon which could only have come direct from the dog whisperer's mouth, the Mirror have followed through with this today http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-portuguese-police-algarve-2859874 and it remains to be seen whether any of the other popular dailies take up this particular story.

ultimaThule

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Over The Hill on 28.11.13 8:41

But if SY are looking for Smithman, and the PJ are looking for Tractorman (as they are according to the Mirror), and their enquiries conclude that neither is the abductor, they may have to put their heads together and look at the case from a different angle. That's where a joint approach would come in

I'm in two minds as to whether the media have hammered this story for so long because

a) A child abducted from a holiday apartment is a story that many readers would have sympathised with, thus selling newspapers; or

b) They think (or know) there's more to it than that

Over The Hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.11.13 9:26

@ultimaThule wrote:Over the past couple of weeks the UK media seem to have remarkably reticent on the subject of Madeleine McCann and it seems to me the tabloids have drawn lots, with the Mirror drawing the short straw and having to become little more than a conduit to Rothley Towers. 

Having published an article about last week's hearing in Lisbon which could only have come direct from the dog whisperer's mouth, the Mirror have followed through with this today http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/madeleine-mccann-portuguese-police-algarve-2859874 and it remains to be seen whether any of the other popular dailies take up this particular story.
Christ almighty, that story is a horrific insult to truth, balance and journalism.

Back to top Go down

Post by Over The Hill on 28.11.13 9:36

The anonymous "source" is convinced that SY are right in pursuing Smithman, but the PJ are wrong whatever they say or do. None of that makes sense

Over The Hill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28.11.13 9:43

@Over The Hill wrote:The anonymous "source" is convinced that SY are right in pursuing Smithman, but the PJ are wrong whatever they say or do. None of that makes sense
Why is a national "newspaper" even reporting the rantings of an unnamed "source" close to the parents of a missing child anyway? Why not get the story direct from the mouths of one of the horses directly involved, or just print the bald facts of the matter, with no spin or subtext? 

This approach is akin to going to the park and canvassing a wino for his views on government economic policy. Everybody is entitled to an opinion but that doesn't mean that they are all equally valid or relevant.

Back to top Go down

Post by noddy100 on 28.11.13 10:38

The whole media is obsessed because that is what the McCanns wanted from day one and if you
ram something down everyones throats enough they buy it eg X factor etc

noddy100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum