The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™
Hi,

A very warm welcome to The Complete Mystery of Madeleine McCann™ forum.

Please log in, or register to view all the forums, then settle in and start chatting with us!

Enjoy your day,

Jill Havern
Forum owner

Scotland Yard want joint investigation...just announced

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scotland Yard want joint investigation...just announced

Post by Sceneset on 27.11.13 14:29

I've just heard on Radio 4 that Scotland Yard have announced that they'd like a joint investigation with Portugal over the disappearance of Madeleine.
It was stated that they feel the current parallel investigation is resulting in a not so effective one, or words to that effect,

I wonder if the Portuguese will want to officially collaborate.

I can't see any links to this announcement anywhere else, just Radio 4 news at 2 .15pm

Sceneset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scotland Yard want joint investigation...just announced

Post by stillsloppingout on 27.11.13 14:31

@Sceneset wrote:I've just heard on Radio 4 that Scotland Yard have announced that they'd like a joint investigation with Portugal over the disappearance of Madeleine.
It was stated that they feel the current parallel investigation is resulting in a not so effective one, or words to that effect,

I can't see any links to this announcement anywhere else, just Radio 4 news at 2 .15pm
I bet they do . they want to see if there is anything being held back in the files , they can pass on to team McCann .

stillsloppingout

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aquila on 27.11.13 14:32

awwww bless the BBC for bringing in this breaking news from their pals.

aquila

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MarleneP on 27.11.13 14:33

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25124643

The Metropolitan Police wants to set up a "joint investigation team" with the Portuguese authorities into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann.
Met Police Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said the force was seeking agreement for the team from the UK and Portuguese and UK governments.
He said it would be more effective than the current "ad-hoc" approach to working together.
Madeleine disappeared from Praia da Luz, in the Algarve, in May 2007.
Last month, Portuguese police reopened their inquiry into the disappearance of Madeleine, who was three when she went missing from her family's holiday apartment as her parents dined at a nearby tapas bar.
Portugal's attorney general said "new elements of evidence" justified the continuation of the investigation, which was shelved in 2008.
That came a week after an appeal by British police - launched on BBC One's Crimewatch programme - prompted 2,400 responses.
E-fits released
The senior investigating officer of the British inquiry, Det Ch Insp Andy Redwood, is due to provide an update on the programme on Thursday night.
But BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said Det Ch Insp Redwood was not expected to release any major new information.
In the appeal, detectives released two e-fits of a man seen carrying a child in Praia da Luz at 22:00 on the night Madeleine, from Rothley, Leicestershire, went missing.

MarleneP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sceneset on 27.11.13 14:34

Maybe! ...or just maybe they both want to wrap it up neatly as one voice? I think Portugal would ask for assurances that ALL facts are looked at and acted upon in a logical way rather than the convoluted way the UK have carried out their enquiries to date.Fingers crossed.

Thank you MarleneP : )

Sceneset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 27.11.13 14:38

@stillsloppingout wrote:
@Sceneset wrote:I've just heard on Radio 4 that Scotland Yard have announced that they'd like a joint investigation with Portugal over the disappearance of Madeleine.

I bet they do . they want to see if there is anything being held back in the files , they can pass on to team McCann .
My thoughts too

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 27.11.13 14:53

@tiny wrote:
@stillsloppingout wrote:

My thoughts too
They wanted a joint investigation back in May. But they must be anxious to know what evidence the PJ have got to justify reopening the case.
The BBC still hasn't told its viewers the truth - that the McCanns withheld those e-fits for five years.

Mail
17 May 2013

But the Mail has learned that behind the scenes, a major diplomatic row is brewing because the Portuguese authorities are adamant they will not reopen the inquiry.
Officials in Lisbon have told their British counterparts that under Portuguese laws, they can reopen the case only if there is new evidence.
But Yard chiefs – who want the Portuguese to agree to a joint investigation – say their new leads could, if properly explored, result in new evidence and possibly the Maddie mystery being solved.
One well-placed source described the deadlock as ‘a Mexican stand-off’.
‘It’s a chicken-and-egg situation. Significant new evidence can be found if the leads uncovered by the Yard are investigated. There are two major obstacles to a joint investigation: the money to fund it in Portugal and the loss of face they would suffer from having to agree to such an inquiry.’ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2326108/Madeleine-McCann-Possibility-Maddie-alive-Scotland-Yard-identify-20-new-suspects.html#ixzz2lrDP8wZm

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.11.13 14:58

Bang!

In the Spin, yet again. To no ones real surprise, hopefully

Why would the PJ object to a joint inquiry IF it were meant to find little Maddie AND bring to justice those who killed abandoned left her on her own in a dark and unlocked apartment at the top of a stone staircase disappeared her?

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 27.11.13 15:00

Why didn't the Irish Crimewatch programme go ahead as planned? It was supposed to be late October apparently but it didn't happen

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 27.11.13 15:10

ITV

Wed 27 Nov 2013
Call for Madeleine police teams to work together

British and Portuguese police should join together as one team in their investigations into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, the Metropolitan Police Commissioner has said.

Currently Scotland Yard is running its own inquiry into what happened to the little girl, who vanished while holidaying with her parents in Praia da Luz in 2007, while the Portuguese authorities have their own investigation.

Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe said: "One thing we'd like to see in the future is a joint investigation team which comes under the European community. It is a possibility legally, and we're working together at a political level, and at a police and judicial level, to see how we can construct that.

"There are two separate inquiries with a different focus - we've got one particular set of lines of inquiry and they have a different one. But it's important that we work together on what is clearly a common problem.

"It's a formal arrangement, it allows officers from each country to work in the other country, it gives them powers associated with that, and it's an efficient way of doing it.

"If you're not careful, you end up doing things on an ad-hoc basis, and for us it would be better to have that type of arrangement. So that's what we're trying to get agreement between the two governments and the two police services."

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-11-27/call-for-madeleine-police-teams-to-work-together/

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roy rovers on 27.11.13 15:21

We need an investigation into this investigation.

roy rovers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterMac on 27.11.13 15:26

And we know why this piece of 8 month old news has been "released" again today, don't we.

PeterMac
Researcher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.11.13 15:33

Well they are obviously not singing from the same hymn sheet are they and not on the same page either...........

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 3m
Met Police Commissioner admits Brit & Portuguese #McCann police teams following `different' lines of inquiry

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.11.13 15:37

candyfloss wrote:Well they are obviously not singing from the same hymn sheet are they and not on the same page either...........

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton  3m  
Met Police Commissioner admits Brit & Portuguese #McCann police teams following `different' lines of inquiry

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 43s
Sources say there has been `no breakthrough' in #mccann investigation despite Europe-wide Crimewatch appeal

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.11.13 15:39

Surely the case belongs to the Portuguese police as it happened on their soil. Cameron sending in Scotland Yard is highly irregular and seemed to be all about PR and his pal Rebekah Brooks' front-page demands. Surely what Scotland Yard wants is irrelevant - if they have found anything out, it is presumably their responsibility to pass it on to the real authorities. The Portuguese, on the other hand, have no responsibility to share information with a group of foreigners with no local knowledge, whose expertise they didn't ask for in the first place. I mean, they used British sniffer dogs and sent the dogs' findings to a British laboratory, and look where that got them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27.11.13 15:41

How coincidental this comes out today, the day of the libel trial again, and how coincidental just before the Crimewatch update programme. I thought they had been working with the PJ for months and had a team over there working with them, yet now it seems they have different lines of enquiry. Every time it is trial day we have either sightings stories or updates from SY. spin 

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.11.13 15:45

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 13m
Joint task force involving cops from different countries `uncommon' but possible under EU law #mccann

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sallypelt on 27.11.13 15:46

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 15m
Brit and Portuguese govts in talks to set up joint #McCann task force to share info & act as one, police reveal

Jerry Lawton ‏@JerryLawton 16m
Met Police Commissioner says work underway to set up joint task force of Brit and Portuguese officers in bid to solve #McCann mystery
Expand

sallypelt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mysterion on 27.11.13 15:56

What I don`t understand is why hasn`t Gordon Brown been interviewed by SY about what he knows about the circumstances surrounding the disappearance. He learned something and initiated action on British soil. Surely that is part of SY`s remit.

mysterion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TMH on 27.11.13 16:05

SY have probably got no new info on the case but they probably think that the PJ have, that's why they want to join "forces" with Portugal.

It's a case of, I'll let you look at mine if you let me look at yours! beware And funny that this announcement comes out today with the trial commencing!

TMH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by plebgate on 27.11.13 16:08

I think Joana posted something a few weeks back where the PJ said that they were prepared to look at possible leads even the ones that the UK police did not want to look at, something along those lines, so why would they agree to work with SY.

Who would be in charge?

plebgate

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aiyoyo on 27.11.13 16:18

"
There are two separate inquiries with a different focus - we've got one particular set of lines of inquiry and they have a different one. But it's important that we work together on what is clearly a common problem.
That says it ALL really.

They are each working on different angle that makes one wonders where they got working materials from, if not from the same files!

Looks like the MET Review is just waste of time and money thus far.

aiyoyo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny on 27.11.13 16:21

@aiyoyo wrote:"
There are two separate inquiries with a different focus - we've got one particular set of lines of inquiry and they have a different one. But it's important that we work together on what is clearly a common problem.
That says it ALL really.

They are each working on different angle that makes one wonders where they got working materials from, if not from the same files!

I think sy are working from what the mccanns say and the Portuguese are working from the files

tiny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tasprin on 27.11.13 16:31

@aiyoyo wrote:"
That says it ALL really.

Yes, I kept hoping but now Scotland Yard's investigation is beginning to look like a bungling mess and a waste of taxpayers money. If they really are discounting all theories except abduction, how could it be anything other than a botched inquiry?

tasprin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Casey5 on 27.11.13 16:37

@tiny wrote:
I think sy are working from what the mccanns say and the Portuguese are working from the files
Tiny, I'm sure you're correct. Scotland Yard appear to only be considering abduction and within a very narrow timescale at that - so Jane Tanner can be let off the hook gently and David Payne can be wiped from the investigation altogether.
The Portuguese, on the other hand, have never saw it as an abduction. How could anyone with half a brain and an ability to read be taken in by any of it?
I could weep - if the Portuguese allow Scotland Yard to bully them into a joint whitewash then all that's standing up for a missing 3 year old is one giant of a man, Goncalo Amaral and a few thousand posters on forums. Not enough I doubt.

Casey5

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum